What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hue Jackson -- Coach of the Year? (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
Let's say the Browns end up 8-7-1.

Going from 0-16 to a winning record has to take it down, right?  Not only the greatest turnaround in NFL history, but led by a coach who somehow didn't lose the team despite a 1-31 record the previous two years.

Going from 0-16 to a winning record has to take it down, right?  Not only the greatest turnaround in NFL history, but led by a coach who somehow didn't lose the team despite a 1-31 record the previous two years.
I don't know about that. What if McVay goes 15-1 or something ridiculous like that? Then he's in consideration, too. So aren't other guys. It's too early to make concrete declarations.  

eta* But the Browns look like they'll be good with Mayfield running the show.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn’t a fan of Baker in college but I’m certainly rooting for the Browns. Their D is legit and with Baker at the helm .500 isn’t out of the question. 

I don’t think Hue would win tho. I agree with the McVay sentiment. 

Well, the NFL is getting in the habit of getting the obvious wrong and pissing fans off, so this would be apropos.  

Hue has yet to even name Mayfield starter yet. He said such non-sense as “having to watch the tape to decide” and suggesting “this is how you do it” in a self-congratulatory team win type deal. Guy is ####### terrible and the only person unable to see it is Jimmy Haslem who had his ### kissed with a game ball last night after allowing two years of disaster.

Seriously, Ben Allbright was fed this line from someone from the inner workings: “Baker Mayfield is so good, even Hue Jackson can’t lose with him.”

No...he was just the coach who let an injured kicker play when he must have known he was hurt.  But if he didn't know, how the hell does a HC not know about injuries on his team?!?  Either way is a bad look for a HC - and definitely not a COY candidate.   :no:
Agreed lol. 

You can't be coach of the year when you cannot recognize the obvious difference in skills between tyrod and Baker. This team should be 3-0 with Baker at the helm.

He's definitely been one of the best coaches in the league this year. He let his rookie qb come in with limited pressure. He put the target on his own back and is still playing it cool to help the media focus away from the young qb. Rather masterful work straight out of Belichick's playbook.

Pimping Hue for coach of the year based on a hypothetical 8-7-1 record is like the second most Cleveland thing ever.

(The most Cleveland thing ever is, of course, the fact that Hollywood made two wish-fulfillment movies about the Indians where they topped out at winning the AL pennant.)

No...he was just the coach who let an injured kicker play when he must have known he was hurt.  But if he didn't know, how the hell does a HC not know about injuries on his team?!?  Either way is a bad look for a HC - and definitely not a COY candidate.   :no:
If Hue has a fault, it's that he's too trusting. He needs to work on that. A young kid took advantage of that and instead of being upfront about his injuries he sabotaged his coach, his, team, and his future career. Those kicks should have been made and the Browns could have been 3-0, but you can't blame Hue for crappy weather or for moving on from a guy once it was clear they were a liability. 

GM has actually put a nice team together.  Hue has done his best to screw it up but they managed to win last night in spite of him, mostly thanks to Tyrod getting injured.

If you're a Browns fan, isn't the best long-term outcome starting out 1-6-1, Hue gets fired, and then they finally start to put it all together in the second half of the season? They go into 2019 with a new coach, a strong core, and maybe even attract some high-profile FAs who want to join a team on the upswing.

An 8-7-1 season with Hue retained would just ensure continued Brown-age.

Pimping Hue for coach of the year based on a hypothetical 8-7-1 record is like the second most Cleveland thing ever.

(The most Cleveland thing ever is, of course, the fact that Hollywood made two wish-fulfillment movies about the Indians where they topped out at winning the AL pennant.)
All I remember is how good the Indians were in the nineties, which was the wrong time to be that good in the AL because of the NYY. Most Cleveland think ever might have been Jose Mesa and Tony Fernandez's error in Game Seven of the WS, getting beat by Edgar Renteria and the Fish. 

But, back on topic, Hue isn't that bad, in my estimation. He didn't do a terrible job with the Raiders when he was there. I mean, they weren't good enough to make the playoffs, but that had a lot to do with Al Davis's personnel decisions and subsequent death in the middle of one year.  

All I remember is how good the Indians were in the nineties, which was the wrong time to be that good in the AL because of the NYY. Most Cleveland think ever might have been Jose Mesa and Tony Fernandez's error in Game Seven of the WS, getting beat by Edgar Renteria and the Fish. 

But, back on topic, Hue isn't that bad, in my estimation. He didn't do a terrible job with the Raiders when he was there. I mean, they weren't good enough to make the playoffs, but that had a lot to do with Al Davis's personnel decisions and subsequent death in the middle of one year.  
When Cleveland hired him I thought it was a good decision. But at this point I find it hard to avoid the conclusion that he took a terrible roster and still managed to underachieve. I think it's crazy they didn't fire him after 0-16.

When Cleveland hired him I thought it was a good decision. But at this point I find it hard to avoid the conclusion that he took a terrible roster and still managed to underachieve. I think it's crazy they didn't fire him after 0-16.
This sounds level-headed and probably spot-on. It's hard to go 1-32-1 and not have a coaching issue, too.  

Yup, Hue drove Al insane and then murdered him.

No. Maybe if he came in and was a new HC this year, but he owns the old record. If anything the guy making the draft picks should get an award.

The Browns could be undefeated from here forward and Hue would still be terrible. 

He lost 31 straight games then tied one.

He only played Mayfielf because Tyrod got concussed. 

And despite Mayfield then looking a zillion times better than Taylor on his first play than at any time during the Tyrod era - and even after they finally won a game, “coach of the year” Hue says he’s gomna watch film to see who to start next week?   :unsure:

c’mon son. Hue Jackson is terrible. They could wil then next 29 games straight and I still wouldn’t give him coach of the year. He shouldn’t even be employed still. 

I thought this was a fishing expedition.  Maybe this will come down to him and Marvin Lewis if the Bengals win a playoff game.  C'mon.  Seriously?  Coach of the year.  

GM has actually put a nice team together.  Hue has done his best to screw it up but they managed to win last night in spite of him, mostly thanks to Tyrod getting injured.
Hue gets no credit for keeping the team from quitting during the piles of garbage the gm gave him to work with? And now that they're showing a glimmer of respectability people want to toss him aside? This is ridiculous. Historically awful teams don't change in the blink of an eye. Hue is building something great and he should be given time to have Cleveland blossom into a perennial contender. 

Hue gets no credit for keeping the team from quitting during the piles of garbage the gm gave him to work with? And now that they're showing a glimmer of respectability people want to toss him aside? This is ridiculous. Historically awful teams don't change in the blink of an eye. Hue is building something great and he should be given time to have Cleveland blossom into a perennial contender. 
Hue hasn't built anything except for layers of distrust and miscommunication.  The GM has picked the players, not Hue.  If Hue picked the players our QB would have been AJ McCarron and we would have lost multiple picks in the 2018 draft.  Baker wouldn't have been on the team, and we'd still be in turmoil.  Really hope your fishing in this thread, as your takes are definitely one of someone who hasn't lived through this drivel for many, many years - watching regimes come and go, while assessing the turmoil and body counts left behind.

The team that won last night was Dorsey's team using Haley's playbook while relying on Williams' defensive strategy.  Hue is lucky they let him hold the challenge flag and wear a headset on the sideline.

Why would they have quit 3 games into the season?  If you're talking about last year their margin of defeat increased by a good bit towards the end of the year, so who's to say they didn't quit?

The bolded is untrue.  The Rams went 13-3 and won the Super Bowl a year after they won 3 games.  The Jets went 9-7 the year following a 1-15 season.  The Dolphins went 11-5 (!) the year after a 1-15 season.  The Chiefs went 11-5 the year after a 2-14 season.

After reading the thread I'm convinced my OP was incorrect.

8-7-1 probably not good enough.

NFL record is +10 games and there's a lot of people who blamed him for losing but won't give him credit for winning.  So probably needs 9.5 wins (and playoffs) to get the award.

Users who are viewing this thread