What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

(HULK)'s RB Tiers (1 Viewer)

(HULK)

(Smash)
I figured I'd post my current RB tiers for some feedback. For me this stuff is still a work in progress until after week 3 of the preseason, so I'm sure this won't be exactly what I show up to draft day with.

These tiers are for standard 1/10, 6 pts a td, no ppr leagues.

TIER 1 - The Super Studs

1 - Shaun Alexander

Shaun is the man. He and LJ were in a tier unto themselves last season. I see him falling back down closer to the pack this season, but still being the #1 guy to have. His schedule looks like cake once again, and DJax's lingering injuries will keep Seattle running a ton. He will miss Hutchinson, and that is what brings him back closer to the rest of the pack.

2 - Ladanian Tomlinson
I moved him up to the two slot recently. This whole first tier is really close in my mind. I'm less concerned about Rivers than the general consensus is. I think their offense won't miss a beat, and I think LT will continue to find a lot of sucess.

3 - Clinton Portis
I had him the #1 overall before the injury. Right now he's fallen this far. Depending on how this all shakes out, he could move back up or continue to fall. I realize a lot of people do not have Portis in their top tier of RBs. I think those people are underestimating the impact Al Saunders will have on the Redskins offense. He's calling the plays. Which translates to more catches for Portis and more redzone opportunities. Last year the Skins had way more passing tds than rushing tds. Thats not how Al Saunders rolls though. Portis belongs in this tier, and if he's healthy, he is going to set fantasy leagues on fire.

4 - Larry Johnson
In all honesty, I'd like to put Larry even lower than this but I can't bring myself to do it. He was an absolute beast last year for 1/2 a season. It was unreal. But, besides having to play a whole season this year, his situation has changed in so many other ways as well. Uber-conservative coach Herm Edwards has replaced the fantasy monster coaches Vermiel and Saunders. That was a huge knock in my opinion. Then, when you couple that with an offensive line that will be decidedly less beastly, and with the loss of the best blocking fullback in the league, I think LJ is going to disappoint the legions that select him as the #1 overall pick this year. The guy can just knock defenders over though, which is why I haven't dropped him further.

______________________TIER 2 - The Normal Studs

5 - Steve Jackson

Who to put at 5 has been a bit of a quandry for me all offseason. I see this 2nd tier as being close together as well. I put Steve Jackson here because I see the most potential with him. If you're drafting to "not lose" you will pass on him for someone more proven. But, if you're drafting to win, you take the guy with the highest ceiling. And at this point, to me, its Jackson.

6 - Reggie Bush
I expect to be killed for putting him here. I can't help it. Duece, as great as he is, is coming off of a very major injury. I think people are way over-estimating his impact this season. And yes, New Orleans O-line is among the worst in the league. And yes, their rushing schedule isn't that great. But, Reggie Bush is just that good. I think he finishes the year as the 6th best RB despite all of the things working against him. And #1 the following year.

7 - Rudi Johnson
He is a guy with less risks than the two guys ahead of him. Rudi is not going to leave you high and dry at any point. He is a bit under valued right now, so if you do get a shot at him, don't let him get past you. If he slips a little in your draft/auction, he makes an incredible RB2. Do not pass on Rudi for a WR or Manning, you'll regret it later.

8 - Carnell Williams
It seems like eveyone has forgotten that Caddy came into the league and set the record for most rushing yards by a rookie in his first 3 games. Caddy is a total and complete beast. Tampa will center their offense around him. He has had a whole year of conditioning to get used to the pounding a NFL back takes, so I expect him to be a little healthier this season. This is another guy who could potentially slip into the second round of your draft and be a delight for you all season.

______________________TIER 3 - The Almost Studs

9 - Willis McGahee

It has become fashionable to hate on this guy. Really, I can't see how his offense will be any worse than last year. I believe that improved play calling will get this guy into the endzone regularly once again. And there is serious talk of keeping him in on 3rd downs as well. Don't buy into the hate because you got burned last year. This guy is still going to touch the ball 350+ times, and he has some serious talent.

10 - Lamont Jordan
What goes up, must come down. Lamont had a great season last year. And, like McGahee, I can't see his offense being much worse than last year. However, I do see him losing a lot of ground in the receptions arena. Art Shell does not have a tendancy for throwing to his backs. He might get more carries this year, but he'll get the ball in space less and that will drop him down to the bottom of the top 10. He's still gonna get the ball a ton though.

11 - Ronnie Brown
People are jumping the gun on this kid ranking him in the top 10. He's gonna see the ball a lot, yes. I'm not sold on the Dolphins this year though. If Culpepper has trouble coming back from his insanely bad knee injury, Ronnie is gonna see 8 man fronts all season. I see a lot of upside here, but we don't exactly know what is going to happen if/when he gets 300 carries. I feel better about some of the other risky guys I've put ahead of him.

12 - Edgerin James
Ranking Edge outside of the top 10 is smart. Arizona's offensive line is terrible. He'll get the ball a lot, and he'll put up some big games and some goose eggs. If you're comfortable with a lot of inconsistancy, Edge is your guy.

13 - Tiki Barber
People will want to shoot me for having Tiki outside of the top 10. But, I can't get past hearing him talk about how he almost retired this offseason and will most likely retire after this season. Tiki sounds like a tired guy at the end of his career. I think that will show on the field.

14 - Chester Taylor
What can I say, I like him about here. I like bringing in him, Hutch, and Richardson. He's going to get the ball by land and air. I think he's a great value for where he is being drafted right now.

______________Tier 4 - The RB2

At this point I'm just gonna talk about the tiers instead of individual players. I see this group of guys as missing something from being a complete RB type back. Maybe its health issues, or redzone presence, or whatever. I honestly do not think I'll have one of these guys on my team this year, because I'm going to do my best to get two guys from my top 3 tiers and then wait for value later on. Maybe one of them slips and I take a stab at them, but basically I see all of these guys as much less than a sure thing, and I don't want to have to count on them. The good thing for them is that they're not in major RBBCs (in my opinion anyways).

15 - Brian Westbrook

16 - Domanic Davis

17 - Willie Parker

18 - Jamal Lewis

19 - Kevin Jones

20 - Corey Dillon

21 - Rueben Droughns

Tier 5 - The RBBC Back

This tier is the true value at running back. You're probably scratching your head right now wondering why I just said I like RBBCs, since they're pretty much universally hated by fantasy owners. I like them because you can draft them later. And they may take over a full time role if things shake out in the right way. I personally like to wait on my RB 3 until this tier is coming up, rather than drafting 3 RBs in my first 3 or 4 picks. You can usually grab one of these guys in round 5/6, and it will be a much better value for you if you do.

22 - Warrick Dunn

23 - Julius Jones

24 - DeShaun Foster

25 - Joseph Addia

26 - Chris Brown

27 - Mike Bell

28 - Thomas Jones

29 - Cederic Benson

30 - Tatum Bell

31 - Lendale White

32 - Domanic Rhodes

33 - DeAngelo Williams

34 - Marion Barber III

35 - TJ Duckett

Tier 6 - Sleepers

These guys are the guys who could potentially end up in the starting role for their team and being a major contributor. Its all hit or miss at this point, I wouldn't depend anything on these guys, but its always good to take a shot or two at a sleeper because if they pan out the rewards are large.

36 - Laurence Maroney

37 - Frank Gore

38 - Vernand Morency

39 - Greg Jones

40 - Cederic Houston

Tier 7 - Almost Everyone Else

This where I take handcuffs, or real darkhorse sleepers. I see little value to bothering to rank players at this point.

Tier 8 - Do Not Draft List

I expect someone to have drafted one of these guys long before I'd consider it a possibility. So, I save some time and just put do not draft next to their names.

X - Ron Dayne

X - Curtis Martin

X - Fred Taylor

X - Kevan Barlow

X - Ahman Green

X - Duece McAllister

Last edited by a moderator:
8 - Carnell WilliamsIt seems like eveyone has forgotten that Caddy came into the league and set the record for most rushing yards by a rookie in his first 3 games. Caddy is a total and complete beast. Tampa will center their offense around him. He has had a whole year of conditioning to get used to the pounding a NFL back takes, so I expect him to be a little healthier this season. This is another guy who could potentially slip into the second round of your draft and be a delight for you all season.
Carnell couldn't handle the type of workload that Gruden was giving him when he was setting records. Plus, he is no threat on passing downs and doesn't get any goalline work. Thus he is a lesser version of Rudi Johnson who suffers in leagues that award PPR. To finish 8th Cadillac will have to probably see AT LEAST 340-350 carries.
12 - Edgerin JamesRanking Edge outside of the top 10 is smart. Arizona's offensive line is terrible. He'll get the ball a lot, and he'll put up some big games and some goose eggs. If you're comfortable with a lot of inconsistancy, Edge is your guy.
Indy's offensive line isn't much better than Arizona's. I'd move him ahead of guys like Rudi Johnson/Cadillac just on the amount of touches he will get.NOTE: Brian Westbrook should be higher. He will put up 1200-1300 total yards and probably about 10 TDs That should be more than enough to break into the top 15.

8 - Carnell WilliamsIt seems like eveyone has forgotten that Caddy came into the league and set the record for most rushing yards by a rookie in his first 3 games. Caddy is a total and complete beast. Tampa will center their offense around him. He has had a whole year of conditioning to get used to the pounding a NFL back takes, so I expect him to be a little healthier this season. This is another guy who could potentially slip into the second round of your draft and be a delight for you all season.
Carnell couldn't handle the type of workload that Gruden was giving him when he was setting records. Plus, he is no threat on passing downs and doesn't get any goalline work. Thus he is a lesser version of Rudi Johnson who suffers in leagues that award PPR. To finish 8th Cadillac will have to probably see AT LEAST 340-350 carries.
12 - Edgerin JamesRanking Edge outside of the top 10 is smart. Arizona's offensive line is terrible. He'll get the ball a lot, and he'll put up some big games and some goose eggs. If you're comfortable with a lot of inconsistancy, Edge is your guy.
Indy's offensive line isn't much better than Arizona's. I'd move him ahead of guys like Rudi Johnson/Cadillac just on the amount of touches he will get.NOTE: Brian Westbrook should be higher. He will put up 1200-1300 total yards and probably about 10 TDs That should be more than enough to break into the top 15.
Thanks for your comments.About Caddy - I see him being their goal line back. You're correc that he won't be overly involved in the passing game though. However, these tiers are for non-ppr.About Westbrook - I'd have him higher if I wasn't very concerned about his injury status.About Edge - You're right that Indy's line isn't the best either. I just see rough waters for the guy. Also, I don't think Denny Green loves to run that much. I just can't see Edge staying in the top ten. My gut screams that he is outside of it this year, and above all else, I listen to that guy.

Interesting that Deuce is on your do-not-draft list...
That could change if I see him in preseason and he looks healthy.But even before the injury he had stopped looking like a good running back.I guess I just don't see him being worth anything close to what his ADP says he's worth.

yeah i don't really understand why most mocks i see have deuce going in rounds 4-6.

the guy is coming off very serious knee surgery and it hasn't been that long. is he really fully recovered? and NO doesn't have the most friendly schedule either.

I guess I see the argument for Taylor as a top 15 RB, but to have him in the same tier as Tiki and James is a bit of a stretch.

Good Stuff.

Why so low in Dunn and Taylor? I mean Dunn finished in the top 15 last year. I don't ATL changing the RB layout much. The rookie won't see the field much and Duckett will be used the same as the previous years. Unless I've missed something.

I understand that their ADP is a little earlier than I'd pull the trigger on them, but if they last a few picks I'd feel good with them.

They may not be a sexy pick but consistent points isn't a bad thing.

Good Stuff.Why so low in Dunn and Taylor? I mean Dunn finished in the top 15 last year. I don't ATL changing the RB layout much. The rookie won't see the field much and Duckett will be used the same as the previous years. Unless I've missed something.I understand that their ADP is a little earlier than I'd pull the trigger on them, but if they last a few picks I'd feel good with them.They may not be a sexy pick but consistent points isn't a bad thing.
Well, I still see Dunn as being in a committee situation. He honestly is a passable RB 2, but as long as TJ is still on that team, TJ and/or Vick will get the redzone TDs. Plus, he's really getting up there in age.As for Fred Taylor, I just think he's done. I'm still not sure on the whole Jacksonville situation. I want to see them some more in preseason, and I might revise this. They're D is great, and I think its a situation where a runner could have a good year. Right now though, I've got Fred in a place where I won't take him. He's been injured too much and he's getting old too. I feel that this is the year he just slides off the cliff into obscurity. I could easily be wrong though. He is in a situation where he could end up being the comeback player of the year even. I need more time to evaluate them. Thank goodness I've got NFL network and a Tivo. :)

Interesting that Deuce is on your do-not-draft list...
That could change if I see him in preseason and he looks healthy.But even before the injury he had stopped looking like a good running back.I guess I just don't see him being worth anything close to what his ADP says he's worth.
:goodposting: Ive been saying that for months
You guys could be right. I think his ADP (around 50 IIRC) is a little high as well. However, much past that, I think he offers excellent value in a hurry.

About Caddy - I see him being their goal line back. You're correc that he won't be overly involved in the passing game though. However, these tiers are for non-ppr.About Westbrook - I'd have him higher if I wasn't very concerned about his injury status.
Westbrook finished 18th last year in 12 games.Cadillac finished 19th last year in 14 games.

I particularly agree with Steve Jackson in the Top 5 this year. He's going to be a beast under the new regime.

I particularly disagree with Ronnie Brown's ranking out of the Top 10 this year. Given the amount of touches in an offense that should put up some nice numbers -- I see him in the Top 10 for sure.

About Caddy - I see him being their goal line back. You're correc that he won't be overly involved in the passing game though. However, these tiers are for non-ppr.About Westbrook - I'd have him higher if I wasn't very concerned about his injury status.
Westbrook finished 18th last year in 12 games.Cadillac finished 19th last year in 14 games.
Noted.Westbrook will definitely move up once I'm certain he's healthy.

Hulk,I would be interested in your opinion as to the order of your top 4 if the scoring was PPR.
I don't think I'm playing any PPR this year, although I have in the past.I would move LT up to #1 overall and Alexander to #2. The rest would stay the same.The wildcard is Portis's health. I don't think his shoulder is really that bad. If he's 90% or above on opening day, he'll move up to #2 or #1 regardless of the scoring format.

Ahman Green is on your do-not-draft list

do don't have any other GB RBs listed

who do you think will be the Starter, or at least worth a draft pick

thx in advance, i'll hang up and listen

Ahman Green is on your do-not-draft listdo don't have any other GB RBs listedwho do you think will be the Starter, or at least worth a draft pickthx in advance, i'll hang up and listen
No idea yet. Ask me again in 2 weeks.If I had a gun to my head and had to pick right now, I'd go Gado, but I'm not confident in that yet.

Can become an owner in your league.

Tiki at 13 is criminal.

To have Protis in the top 3 and above LJ is ridiculous given the track records of the guys. This even after Portis has a signigicant wing damaged?

Well done - though provoking list to be sure. I agree with many of your tiers. May not be down so much on Tiki, and still leaning towards drafting LJ #1 (won the SB for me last year, feel I owe it to him), but otherwise rankings are similar. I like the do not draft list as well.

Tiki at 13 is criminal.

To have Protis in the top 3 and above LJ is ridiculous given the track records of the guys. This even after Portis has a signigicant wing damaged?
Is this really necessary?Post your rankings and I'll make some snide comments and then we'll be even, okay?

And who is Protis anyways?

And about their respective track records... which RB has never started a full season and which RB has the most rushing yards ever for his 1st 4 years in the league?

Well done - though provoking list to be sure. I agree with many of your tiers. May not be down so much on Tiki, and still leaning towards drafting LJ #1 (won the SB for me last year, feel I owe it to him), but otherwise rankings are similar. I like the do not draft list as well.
I don't blame you. He put up arguable one of the best 1/2 seasons ever.I still think that 2 months from now the term "The Herman Edwards Effect" will be in common usage.

I don't blame you. He put up arguable one of the best 1/2 seasons ever.I still think that 2 months from now the term "The Herman Edwards Effect" will be in common usage.
Curtis Martin did lead the league in rushing 2 seasons ago, though, under Herm Edwards. Do you think this year's Chiefs line is better or worse than was the Jets two seasons ago?I like your rankings. I agree wholeheartedly with most of them.

I guess I see the argument for Taylor as a top 15 RB, but to have him in the same tier as Tiki and James is a bit of a stretch.
Consensus ranking are the path to a 4th place finish.
Luckily I play in leagues with clowns, so 4th place finish is pretty rare. Alls I'll say is that questioning Tiki's desire is a little shady. His work ethic is off the charts.

Curtis Martin did lead the league in rushing 2 seasons ago, though, under Herm Edwards. Do you think this year's Chiefs line is better or worse than was the Jets two seasons ago?I like your rankings. I agree wholeheartedly with most of them.
I felt like Curtis did that DESPITE of Herm. Herm doesn't take enough chances to let a guy like LJ reach his full fantasy potential. LJ will get his rush yards still, but I see his receiving yards taking a big hit. I also see the Chiefs in the redzone less.One of my closest friends is a die hard Jets fan. I have enjoyed laughing at him as Herm runs on 3rd down to set up the kick instead of attempting to sustain the drive. Some may agree with his conservative philosophy, but I don't think he's that great of a coach. His win record isn't even above .500.

Luckily I play in leagues with clowns, so 4th place finish is pretty rare. Alls I'll say is that questioning Tiki's desire is a little shady. His work ethic is off the charts.
If by "work ethic," you mean acting in commercials and making radio appearances, then I definitely agree.

You know, hearing him talk on his show on Sirius has me wigged about him. He was "this close" to not coming back this year at all. His work ethic should be there, because he's always been a hard worker. I'm just a little spooked by what I've heard him say is all.

Good stuff (HULK)! Given Westbrook and DD's injury induced business casual days, you think Willie Parker might out perform these guys in scoring? I know a lot has been made of Bettis being out and all the goal line vulture situation, but Parker seems primed for a consistent FF season.

Post your rankings and I'll make some snide comments and then we'll be even, okay?
:goodposting: :lmao: Hey Hulk, Two part question - Name the highest ranked guy you have that you are concerned most about reaching your projection, and then tell us which RB you have ranked low that you feel has a shot at finishing much higher and why.TIA

It's that RBBC tier that's a killer. 14 guys. That's basically rounds 5 through 8 of a ten-team draft, and I have a hard time making judgements as to who should go first. (Well, actually Dunn should go first, but I'd move him up a tier; don't see Duckett as a big threat.)

:goodposting: Hulk.

Great to see some different projections and the reasoning behind them. Even if I don't agree with some of it, I do understand the thought process. :thumbup:

Tiki at 13 is criminal.

Is this really necessary?Post your rankings and I'll make some snide comments and then we'll be even, okay?

And who is Protis anyways?

And about their respective track records... which RB has never started a full season and which RB has the most rushing yards ever for his 1st 4 years in the league?
Eric Dickerson :P

Good posting by the way. I don't agree with all of your calls but it's always nice to see someone else's reasoning. Any ambition to post your WR tiers?

You know, hearing him talk on his show on Sirius has me wigged about him. He was "this close" to not coming back this year at all. His work ethic should be there, because he's always been a hard worker. I'm just a little spooked by what I've heard him say is all.
I think you have a good point there. Just about everything I've heard from Tiki this offseason has been questionable, starting with the retirement talk. Saw an interview on ESPN a few weeks ago where he talked about how he'll be getting zero short-yardage/goal line work this year and how fantasy owners should "take Larry Johnson."

While we knew Jacobs would be a TD vulture, you don't like to hear from a player's own mouth that he doesn't like his own fantasy value.

Good stuff here. I agree with a lot of it, esp LJ. It would be tough, but I doubt I'll draft him #1 in a non-ppr league if I draw the top pick...

You planning similar rankings for WR?

While we knew Jacobs would be a TD vulture, you don't like to hear from a player's own mouth that he doesn't like his own fantasy value.
For starters, awesome avatar (GB Flutie, Mo Carthon, Sam Bowers, et al) :thumbup: Just curious, but have you ever heard Tiki boast in any way? It would seem out of character for him to say "take me first in an FF draft, I'm the best!".

Tier 5 - The RBBC Back

This tier is the true value at running back. You're probably scratching your head right now wondering why I just said I like RBBCs, since they're pretty much universally hated by fantasy owners. I like them because you can draft them later. And they may take over a full time role if things shake out in the right way. I personally like to wait on my RB 3 until this tier is coming up, rather than drafting 3 RBs in my first 3 or 4 picks. You can usually grab one of these guys in round 5/6, and it will be a much better value for you if you do.

22 - Warrick Dunn

23 - Julius Jones

24 - DeShaun Foster

25 - Joseph Addia

26 - Chris Brown

27 - Mike Bell

28 - Thomas Jones

29 - Cederic Benson

30 - Tatum Bell

31 - Lendale White

32 - Domanic Rhodes

33 - DeAngelo Williams

34 - Marion Barber III

35 - TJ Duckett
Very interesting stuff, (HULK).I noticed that your RBBC guys have a serpentine look to them. That is, the 1st and the 14th are from the Falcons, the 2nd and the 13th are from the Cowboys, etc. Was that intentional, and if so why did you rank the teams in this order?

Always love it when posters put themselves on the line. This stuff takes a lot of effort. Nice work, Hulky.
I agree whole-heartedly. Lovin' it. I like it when people use their brain and make me think as well. Little nuggets of info in the back of your mind help you make decisions on the fly when you're on the clock. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread