What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I am midway through a 7-hour layover in Doha, Qatar--AMA (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
Hanging out in the epic Al Mourjan lounge.  On my 5th glass of wine and have about an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
We landed at about 1900 local after a 14-hour 7000 mile flight from Chicago.  We are connecting to Bali at 0200 on a 10-hour flight.

Why Qatar?  I’m west coast, so we fly over the pacific. 

When we booked, the connection was much tighter but they moved the ORD-DOH flight 5-hours earlier.  I looked at west coast but it was 2 connections and a similar total travel time.

We had tornado warnings and hail while we were waiting to board.  Cost us close to an hour.
Last night?  That was one of the bigger storms I can remember in Chicago in a while.  I’m right across the lake, didn’t get hit like Chicago did.

Last night?  That was one of the bigger storms I can remember in Chicago in a while.  I’m right across the lake, didn’t get hit like Chicago did.

Yes--we got to the airport around 6pm and got through security by 630 and then they shut everything down.

anyone wearing masks?  did you have to wear a mask while  on in the plane?

As we were boarding, someone made an announcement saying that everyone getting on the plane needed to be wearing a mask.  Once we were on the plane, they announced masks were compulsory for the duration of the flight for everyone unless you were eating or drinking.  The purser came by shortly after that and said masks were optional for us--don't know why.

8-day cruise on my buddy's ship through the Indonesian islands.
I just want to give Chet respect and credit for continuing to up the Chet-ness throughout the thread.

have a great trip... always wanted to get to Bali- and doing it by boat sounds pretty epic.

can you pitch my idea of sports teams logos being adorned to agals?  i mean, you can be muslim and a mets fan, right?

Is it pronounced "Catter", "Cutter" or "Kwaahtaar"?

None of those according to locals.  The Q has a "g" sound in there that isn't in the English pronunciation.  I use "Cutter" and it seems to be accepted.

Well past the second bottle of white burgundy which should ensure a sound sleep for most of the next flight.  

None of those according to locals.  The Q has a "g" sound in there that isn't in the English pronunciation.  I use "Cutter" and it seems to be accepted.

Well past the second bottle of white burgundy which should ensure a sound sleep for most of the next flight.  

so it's "gutter".

much appreciated.

How was the concert?  Last weekend was awesome weather wise. 
Nice old theater.  We showed up 45 minutes before the doors opened and there was a three block line already. Absolutely nuts. 

Standing for four hours after walking 10 miles during the day sucked.  But the concert was off the hook awesome.  They are playing extra long sets due to this being their last go.  Two more concerts before they are done forever.

And, as a bonus, I ran into the guitarist at the art museum and the other guitarist outside the bean.  What are the chances in the middle of Chicago?

The downside to Bali trips?

6 years ago some friends were headed there because it was dirt cheap. I suppose it was, seems like without trying too hard it was a week on beautiful beaches for roughly $3K versus the $5K I always seemed to spend on weeklong vacations. The 12 hour layover in Dubai was just part of the charm.

Dirt cheap is obviously not the case with Chet. He's probably going just to buy an island or something.

Do we have a thread aon Qatar vs UAE (Abu Dhabi or Dubai)? Seems like a few FBGs have been contractors around there, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got back last night.  Great trip.  Bali is awesome.  We were going to spend a day in Doha but we discovered our kids don't qualify as vaccinated per Qatar law so they would have had to spend 26 hours in the airport.  We extended the stay in Bali--great choice.

We were going to spend a day in Doha ...
Every time I read "Doha" I start to twitch. My goal in life is to never set foot in that country (and a few others) again. Then again, I wasn't there on my way to a pleasure cruise on a dude's private boat, so the circumstances probably leave us with different views. 

Users who are viewing this thread