What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I am so jacked up for this draft! (1 Viewer)

P Boy

Footballguy
Geez, I know this is just another NFL draft, but the intrigue & the possibility of movement is way beyond what I've seen before.

The draft is very deep in quality players, there's alreay been some significant movement in high draft picks, and there is rumor of a lot more movement with the Javon Walker situation & now the Reggie Bush scandal as well as teams jockeying for higher picks.

3 QBs whom no one can seem to agree on which will be the best pro.

A RB that some people are already heralding as potentially one of the best ever to be playing or have played in the NFL while other some grade other RBs as better opportunities as featured RBs.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning. That first bloody mary & cigar can't come soon enough. Should I seek professional help or are there others out there as hyped up as I am this year?

It's CHRISTMAS EVE.....

"And with the 4th pick in the NFL draft the NY Jets take FULLBACK :excited:"

:wall: :lmao: :loco:

:banned: :banned: :banned:

Did I mention then there is our league's dynasty IDP draft next week also?

Geez, I think I'm going to wet myself.

:hey: me too :loco: ....cant wait,i dont care if its saturday and the weather is awsome...i`m sittin on my coach for 12 hours..then theres sunday ;)

I too need help :help:
This will make you guys feel better, you don't need help, I need help.1. I'm from Texas but live in NY

2. I willingly admit that I am a Texans fan

3. I am flying to Houston this afternoon to attend the Texans draft party at Reliant stadium

4. I don't want them to take VY or Bush (though they will take Reg.)

So see, you're not so bad. Donations to pay for a psych. eval can be sent to my paypal account. :o

I go through the same cycle every year aroud draft time.

Week before: Getting antsy. Looking forward to weekend.

Friday before: Jacked up. I deliberately make sure my calendar is clear that day because I know I won't be getting any work done.

Saturday morning: IT'S ON!!!!

Saturday afternoon: Begin drinking. Monitor the Shark Pool for real-time commentary.

Saturday evening: Woozy from having drunk way too much. Make mental note to myself not to post while drunk. Probably nobody would notice the difference anyway.

Sunday morning: Go to church hung over. Hope it doesn't show.

Sunday afternoon: Resume watching draft. Realize after an hour or so that Round 5 isn't exactly as gripping as Round 1. Continue to monitor the Shark Pool, which by now will be occupied mainly by a few monster threads involving some particularly controversial choice, with homers arguing back and forth with one another.

Sunday evening: "I can't believe I spent the entire weekend in front of the television watching Mel Kiper."

One month from now: I wonder when the 2007 draft is scheduled for . . . ?

You know, the worst thing is having the Bills drafting where they're drafting. They could honestly take any one of about 6 or 7 guys. And I've become so excited about most of them that it's going to be disappointing to just get one. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Bills would have to really work to screw up this pick and I'm sure I'll be pretty happy with whomever they go with, but after getting pumped up about Ngata, Bunkley, Huff, Justice, and pipe dreams Ferguson and Hawk, it's going to almost be a weird letdown to see all but one of those guys go to some other team.

Sunday evening: "I can't believe I spent the entire weekend in front of the television watching Mel Kiper."
Bonus for this year is the NFL Network coverage! Now I can watch two sets of draft coverage! DVR... picture-in-picture... hopefully they don't sync up the commercials! :help:

Bonus for this year is the NFL Network coverage! Now I can watch two sets of draft coverage! DVR... picture-in-picture... hopefully they don't sync up the commercials! :help:
This is the key thing. It always amazes me how you can flip around the channels on Sunday Ticket and see the exact same commercial being broadcast simultaneously in three different spots. Then again, I am easily amazed.

Being geographically challenged I envy your ability to stay transfixed in front of the TV with a bunch of buddies for the NFL draft.

On the other hand, I never ever have to shovel snow.

You know, the worst thing is having the Bills drafting where they're drafting. They could honestly take any one of about 6 or 7 guys. And I've become so excited about most of them that it's going to be disappointing to just get one. Don't get me wrong, I think that the Bills would have to really work to screw up this pick and I'm sure I'll be pretty happy with whomever they go with, but after getting pumped up about Ngata, Bunkley, Huff, Justice, and pipe dreams Ferguson and Hawk, it's going to almost be a weird letdown to see all but one of those guys go to some other team.
Nice jinx, #######. :hot:

This years draft might have moe viewers than the last game of the baseball World Series.

This is just the draft not an NFL game - baseball has lost it.

Nice jinx, #######. :hot:
:lmao: "And with the 8th pick in the 2006 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select Lawrence Maroney."

No worries, I trust Marv Levy more than Tom Donahoe. Maybe Marv will let me down, but until he does, I'm going to trust that he won't screw it up.

I'll agree. I don't know if it's just me or this year's draft but I'm way more interested than usual. I've always enjoyed the draft but never really went overboard on it. Really interested this year.

On another thought, how unreal is it that the Draft is this big of a deal? The other sports barely rate a blip for their draft but the NFL is nearly a national holiday.

J

Geez, I know this is just another NFL draft, but the intrigue & the possibility of movement is way beyond what I've seen before.

The draft is very deep in quality players, there's alreay been some significant movement in high draft picks, and there is rumor of a lot more movement with the Javon Walker situation & now the Reggie Bush scandal as well as teams jockeying for higher picks.

A RB that some people are already heralding as potentially one of the best ever to be playing or have played in the NFL while other some grade other RBs as better opportunities as featured RBs.

I can't wait for tomorrow morning. That first bloody mary & cigar can't come soon enough. Should I seek professional help or are there others out there as hyped up as I am this year?
I'm with you man. ####, my team has the 32nd pick and I still am like a giddy school girl for tomorrow.

On another thought, how unreal is it that the Draft is this big of a deal? The other sports barely rate a blip for their draft but the NFL is nearly a national holiday.

J
Hey Joe,I was thinking the same thing. It's unbelievable that the NFL has been able to turn the draft into something like this. Let's be honest, the draft really should be an incredibly boring ordeal. It really boils down to watching Paul Tagliabue walk up to the podium every 15 minutes and saying a name. Throw in some clips of the guy whose name was just called and a ticking clock in the corner, the experts blabbing on about guys having great bubbles and such and a few comical interviews with newly drafted players that supposedly attended some college classes at some point. And that's pretty much all there is to it.

It's a testament to just how big the NFL is that we've been talking about the draft for months now, that there are draft parties all over the place and there are 2 major cable stations carrying the entire draft.

J
Hey Joe,I was thinking the same thing. It's unbelievable that the NFL has been able to turn the draft into something like this. Let's be honest, the draft really should be an incredibly boring ordeal. It really boils down to watching Paul Tagliabue walk up to the podium every 15 minutes and saying a name. Throw in some clips of the guy whose name was just called and a ticking clock in the corner, the experts blabbing on about guys having great bubbles and such and a few comical interviews with newly drafted players that supposedly attended some college classes at some point. And that's pretty much all there is to it.

It's a testament to just how big the NFL is that we've been talking about the draft for months now, that there are draft parties all over the place and there are 2 major cable stations carrying the entire draft.
I think it has a lot to do with the "3 years out of HS" requirement the NFL has. It allows people to know more about the prospects, already be fans of the prospects, and have a lot more information on the prospects. Couple that with the NFL is the most popular product out there, produces rabid fans, is the most gambled on sport, has fantasy football implications with every move, there are 32 teams over the course of seven rounds . . . it's like the perfect storm. And honestly, Mel Kiper and ESPN's coverage over the years has also gone a long way.I see in the future the NBA draft becoming more of an event with their new age limitation, but no draft will ever approach the NFL's.

J

I think there are a lot of factors that make the NFL draft what it is today:- ESPN's decision back in the day to start televising it

- Love him or hate him, the NFL should write Mel Kiper a huge check. He has been the key cog of the hype machine over the years.

- The players taken are people we have watched on Saturdays for the last three or four years, and usually schools with big fan bases (Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc.) have players taken fairly high on a consistent basis.

- The players selected in the first few rounds can make an IMMEDIATE impact on the team that drafts them. I think this is huge from the fan perspective as your favorite team can get significantly better over a fairly short period of time by making good draft picks.

Everybody has made good points about the draft's popularity. I think the main thing (besides the immense popularity of the NFL) is the "immediate help" -- in other sports, prospects go to the minor-leagues for 2-3 years before they even sniff the big time. That's only different in the NBA, but still...rare is it a rookie can come in and totally transform a team from the start, and that player usually goes in the top-5 picks. Teams picking 23, 24, etc in the NBA are just hoping for a 6th or 7th man off the bench.

Still, I'm bored with the draft by 3:00 and only casually switch over when a team's clock is running down.

I am so there. Wings, drinks and beers, cigars, football clips, hope springing eternal, comedy interludes featuring the Vikings key stone cops routines, anguished looks by the 'sliders' in the green room, Merrill Hodge playing the buffoon. What could be better?

I'm suffering from information overload and draft burnout. I think I'll go fishing tomorrow.

not
The funny thing is that I was supposed to go fishing tomorrow in the Gulf but it is going to be too windy and the charter already cancelled. Now I will be in front of the TV most of Sat.Edit to add that I'm always geeked for the NFL draft, I don't really feel more interest for this year over any others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay- I can't find the kickoff time for the friggin' draft anywhere! :angry:

I don't need the pre-draft show, etc. I'm running around like an eejit tomorrow, so I need to know when to shoot for a window to watch the top 10.

:help:

After that ESPN radio will be fine.

:hey:

I am with you PB. I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight. Should be a good draft for my Trojans as well, but the intrigue on some of the picks has me all hyped up.

:hey:

I am with you PB. I don't know if I will be able to sleep tonight. Should be a good draft for my Trojans as well, but the intrigue on some of the picks has me all hyped up.
The Trojans can't draft with the rest of the pro teams. Their salary cap is way over what the NFL allows.

To me, the season starts NOW. It's a great feeling. The draft is a lot of fun to watch and speculate over...

:goodposting: It does indeed seem like this year has more potential for trades/surprising choices than in years past. I've been studying my Drugstore List and reading through a lot of the online mocks (like Sigmund Bloom's; also enjoyed the new podcast feature with Lammey and Bloom - :thumbup: guys) I have always respected Great Blue North's work GBN Report Here, too.

I'm very excited to see how this one goes down.

My .02.

Mark

J

I think there are a lot of factors that make the NFL draft what it is today:- ESPN's decision back in the day to start televising it

- Love him or hate him, the NFL should write Mel Kiper a huge check. He has been the key cog of the hype machine over the years.

- The players taken are people we have watched on Saturdays for the last three or four years, and usually schools with big fan bases (Texas, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc.) have players taken fairly high on a consistent basis.

- The players selected in the first few rounds can make an IMMEDIATE impact on the team that drafts them. I think this is huge from the fan perspective as your favorite team can get significantly better over a fairly short period of time by making good draft picks.
:goodposting: doughboyJ

I am so there. Wings, drinks and beers, cigars, football clips, hope springing eternal, comedy interludes featuring the Vikings key stone cops routines, anguished looks by the 'sliders' in the green room, Merrill Hodge playing the buffoon. What could be better?
Good stuff DW.Talking about the sliders in the green room they had Aaron Rodgers on the other day. He was super cool about it but he was talking about how much it sucked to still be sitting in the green room by yourself. He said they were cleaning up and taking out the trash and he was just sitting there in his new suit.

Seemed like a good guy that he could be lighthearted about it.

J

Good stuff DW.Talking about the sliders in the green room they had Aaron Rodgers on the other day. He was super cool about it but he was talking about how much it sucked to still be sitting in the green room by yourself. He said they were cleaning up and taking out the trash and he was just sitting there in his new suit.

Seemed like a good guy that he could be lighthearted about it.

J
Wow I now like Aaron Rodgers more.

Does anyone really know what time the Texans go on the clock?

I gotsta know!

the draft has grown mainly because of fantasy football (they should be paying all of us, not mel).

now with keeper/dynasty leagues everyone is more interested in the rookies, i think that is a pretty big reason why this year seems so crazy.

also, the extra two weeks of talking about the same four issues over and over again hasn't helped.

Got Tivo#1 set to ESPN record all day, Got Tivo#2 set for NFL Network record. Friend has a b-day party tomorrow night, need to check for TV size/availablity before I committ to going :)

I need...

:help:

Ive decided this years draft day beer will be Corona. Ive got some yard work to do in the morning and will have all the talking heads blaring through the loud speakers until kickoff. It really is christmas in spring.

I'll be right here all day Saturday. :thumbup: I'm looking forward to all the comments, opinions, surprises, etc.

Do we have any official DRAFT DAY threads yet? i.e,.....

Official ESPN commentator mocking thread

Official Who's the next best available thread

Official commentary on the last selection thread

Official War-room thread (who should they take)

Users who are viewing this thread