What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I believe the economy may be really bad right now. (1 Viewer)

We (5 of us) went out to eat last night at an Indian restaurant. After taxes and tip it was a $100 bill and that included a kids meal. We probably won't go out to eat again for several months. It is just impractical.
You think that’s high?
Depending on the Drinks, that’s pretty reasonable.
we all had water
For families, there are more and more that $100 is a luxury. I don’t know how people continually go to Pro sporting events.
Or skiing. Was shocked at the cost. Northeast, $130 a ticket on the weekend. if you need rentals forget about it, you’re looking at near a grand for a family of 5 for a single day.
Yeah, passes like Epic and Ikon have made daily lift tickets nearly obsolete. If you aren’t skiing 5+ days a season, it is no longer worth it, as paying a couple hundred bucks for individual day passes at major resorts is insane.

Their actual coffee tastes like something you might find at an AA meeting.
So lets turn this negative atmosphere into a positive here. Save money on Starbucks, crash an AA meeting!*

GM dropping the knowledge!

* - no disrespect intended to actual AA meetings that may be pursuing this thread
You haven't had real coffee until you have head AA coffee. The spoon will stand on it's own in it. Nobody likes it when I make coffee at work, because AA coffee got me hooked on strong coffe.

Maybe more than a few towns can re-zone all this land they have earmarked for single family homes that young people can afford, and some affordable townhouses can go up.
The problem is those houses are still expensive. We built our home in an area of town that was zoned for "affordable housing" The lot was only 10K, the house couldn't be more than 1500 sq feet above ground, and the garage can't have more than 2 stalls for the first 5 years after it is built. We built 5 years ago (finished and moved in right before the pandemic started, supplies went up, rates went up, etc.) and it still cost 285,000 for the house. This is in NW Iowa so not a huge market either. Our builder quoted our same house 2 years after we built and it was already 20K more to build.

You haven't had real coffee until you have head AA coffee. The spoon will stand on its own in it. Nobody likes it when I make coffee at work, because AA coffee got me hooked on strong coffe.
I’m pretty sure AA coffee is made by retired Sergeants major who used to major the same stuff in the operations centers.

The problem is those houses are still expensive. We built our home in an area of town that was zoned for "affordable housing" The lot was only 10K, the house couldn't be more than 1500 sq feet above ground, and the garage can't have more than 2 stalls for the first 5 years after it is built. We built 5 years ago (finished and moved in right before the pandemic started, supplies went up, rates went up, etc.) and it still cost 285,000 for the house. This is in NW Iowa so not a huge market either. Our builder quoted our same house 2 years after we built and it was already 20K more to build
I don't see 285,000 as expensive for a new build, and 20 grand more two years later doesn't seem weird either. Mortgage payment of $1500-ish? Seems reasonable

Back in the 70's, people were getting those ranch houses delivered on trucks. They were cheap, and they built a ton of them. The scale is why they were affordable. They have multiple options for prefab homes.

You see this all over Europe. People with homes, on small lots, near other people. Waking distance from town center. Smaller homes, small back yard.

The system we have is everyone wants space, so no one lives anywhere walkable, and property taxes are expensive because 10,000 residents take up the space of 40,000 people, and complain the roads don't get fixed.

Have you priced modular homes? I mean not just the price they give you on their site but the land, foundation, well, sewer, finishings, land clearing etc? All in they aren’t that cheap.

Have you priced modular homes? I mean not just the price they give you on their site but the land, foundation, well, sewer, finishings, land clearing etc? All in they aren’t that cheap.
They are only affordable in certain areas.
You are in a good school district, in a coastal state, near a big city? They are a steal.

I'm not saying these are the answer to the affordable house crisis. I'm saying they are an option, and the fact that most towns have zoned multifamily out in their bylaws is a big problem.

All this sprawl costs money to maintain. Costs money to drive through.

They are only affordable in certain areas.
You are in a good school district, in a coastal state, near a big city? They are a steal.

I'm not saying these are the answer to the affordable house crisis. I'm saying they are an option, and the fact that most towns have zoned multifamily out in their bylaws is a big problem.

All this sprawl costs money to maintain. Costs money to drive through.
Dunno. I priced a few in southern Maine. Average home price is around 400k outside of Portland or right on the coast. Cost was going to be around 350k and that was on a small lot of land and only around 1500 sq feet

Be thankful you aren’t in Canada, our housing situation is dire.

My starter home 20 years ago cost $175kUS, a three bedroom back split. That same house is going for 5x that now.

Townhouses that are half the size are going for $400k US. The only affordable “starter” is a condo.

Canadian banks only lock in rates for 5 years so most people are facing mortgage payments that will raise 70%, some are already there if they signed their renewals in 2018.

And the government keeps bringing in more immigrants, we added 1% to our population (400,000 people) in Q3 of this year alone. While building only about 60,000 new residences, most of them condos/multi family.

It is lunacy 🤬

My starter home 20 years ago cost $175kUS, a three bedroom back split. That same house is going for 5x that now.

Townhouses that are half the size are going for $400k US. The only affordable “starter” is a condo.

Canadian banks only lock in rates for 5 years so most people are facing mortgage payments that will raise 70%, some are already there if they signed their renewals in 2018.

And the government keeps bringing in more immigrants, we added 1% to our population (400,000 people) in Q3 of this year alone. While building only about 60,000 new residences, most of them condos/multi family.

It is lunacy 🤬

It’s almost as if it’s being done on purpose.

It is lunacy 🤬
Sounds like I need to invest in Canadian home builders...

If people prioritize buying a house, it can still be done absolutely. Some places are harder to buy than others, of course. But don't tell me people in their 20's aren't commonly blowing $1k a month on frivolities. They are. Obviously they are, or we wouldn't have these consumer spending numbers staying where they are.
My sister-in-law went through this with her son and his wife. Both college educated with decent jobs and they were saying they couldn't afford anything in their not very expensive area. Turns out $800/month in entertainment was non-negotiable. Which hey, their money, their choice, but it's a little rich to cry poverty when you're taking multiple vacations a year and eating out all the time.

To be fair, I know older people who spend like drunken idiots too (got to have that new car every two years!). It seems like it might be a little worse with the younger crew, but I'd like to see data.
Yes. This.

And I'll agree 100% with 'their money, their choices'. They prioritize vacationing & eating out & fancy coffees. That's fine. Nobody says they have to have the same priorities as their parents & grandparents did. But the context matters and is often overlooked.

Don't forget a new phone every 2 years.

It is lunacy 🤬
Florida is pretty much the same way. We are severely lacking in affordable options. They are allowing everything to be bought up and leveled to build new, more expensive.

Was just there recently and a local was explaining this to me. Why? Like literally people are just going to default across the country. I don't understand it, seems crazy to me.
It’s almost as if it’s being done on purpose.
Easy there Shooter :lmao:

This is turning into the housing thread probably because that is a huge problem, especially for those would-be first time home buyers. But overall, the economy is and has been in very good shape. Forget the stock market being at/near 52-week and all-time highs, as that doesn't impact a big chunk of the population (latest estimates show about 60% of Americans own stocks). Since the beginning of 2018 unemployment has been at or below 4% other than the huge covid spike, and we're currently at nearly 2 years now at this level. That's simply unprecedented. Inflation was real and a real problem, but it's now down six percentage points from the peak, and real wages have grown so that the median consumer has more spending power now than they did in 2019. And while inflation typically means prices go up and stay up, gas prices (the most visible inflation tracker for many Americans) have almost round tripped back to where they were last December.

None of this matters to anyone who has lost a job or is frustrated that they can't buy a house, as one's individual economic experience always trumps any data. But this whole silent recession Tik Tok and Reddit trend is bull and has led to a "vibe" that the economy sucks, even among those who are doing just fine. Good news doesn't sell, and the media loves to shout gloom and doom to get clicks. There is also the political aspect, which we can't get into here, but the reality is that whichever party is in the White House has a lot to do with how members of the other party feel about the economy.

There are also still very real gaps. If you play around with that unemployment chart linked above and look at the rates for various groups, you can see that African Americans have a significantly higher unemployment rate. Real wages have grown here in the US, but have not in most parts of the world. And we can come back to the housing affordability thing for the 34% of households (and 48% of millenials) that don't already own a home.

Canadian banks only lock in rates for 5 years
Pardon me?
Right??? Dang, Canada.

Although..........maybe that keeps people from getting too much house? I dunno, trying to find a silver lining here.
It's not quite true that banks only lock in rates for 5 years. The rates for longer mortgages are just more expensive so nearly everyone gets 5 year mortgages. The posted rates on RBCs website right now are 6.99% for a 5 year, 7.55% for a 10 year and 12% for a 25 year. I imagine the banks are much more likely to negotiate on a 5 year mortgage, so the gap likely is larger in reality. Also many Canadians get a variable rate mortgage. Up until the recent rate increases, you were likely better off with a variable rate mortgage.

Can we keep the stealth politics out of this?
We sure can.

The observation that Texans and Floridians have been bragging about their cost of living and quality of life, and are now seeing the results of everyone listening to them isn't political. Not in my opinion, as it seems to me that bragging about low cost of living is a non-partisan activity.

I certainly respect your commitment to policing the FFA. Godspeed.

Pardon me?
Most of the world doesn't have 30 year fixed rate mortgages like we do. We wouldn't have them either if it weren't for govt. policy pushing them along.

Article about it (I don't really agree with the conclusions in it) but does discuss history and how we got there and rest of world didn't.

Pardon me?
Most of the world doesn't have 30 year fixed rate mortgages like we do. We wouldn't have them either if it weren't for govt. policy pushing them along.

Article about it (I don't really agree with the conclusions in it) but does discuss history and how we got there and rest of world didn't.

Their solution will end up being 40 year loans lol

Pardon me?

I'll give this a read. My knee-jerk reaction is that pushing people onto variable-rate mortgages just adds that much more risk to buying a home. The type of people who talk about stuff like this on a message board will understand that, adjust accordingly, and be just fine. But given that a lot of adults already get in over their head as it is, it terrifies me to think about what would be happening right now if existing homeowners were seeing their mortgage rates double or triple over the course of just a few years. (Edit: What @The Duff Man just said!) That seems like catastrophically bad policy-making.

The obvious objection, I suppose, is that we're just shifting all that interest rate risk over to lenders, but that seems fine. Banks ought be better-positioned assess and mitigate that risk than the average Joe.

Pardon me?
Right??? Dang, Canada.

Although..........maybe that keeps people from getting too much house? I dunno, trying to find a silver lining here.
It's not quite true that banks only lock in rates for 5 years. The rates for longer mortgages are just more expensive so nearly everyone gets 5 year mortgages. The posted rates on RBCs website right now are 6.99% for a 5 year, 7.55% for a 10 year and 12% for a 25 year. I imagine the banks are much more likely to negotiate on a 5 year mortgage, so the gap likely is larger in reality. Also many Canadians get a variable rate mortgage. Up until the recent rate increases, you were likely better off with a variable rate mortgage.
Yes I was trying to boil a detailed subject down to a sentence 😂

Put another way, the rates available in the US for 30 year are similar to 10 year in Canada (ballpark). But you can do a 5 year for a little less so that is most common. If you want longer than 10 you pay through the nose and no one does it.

Bottom line is something like 75% of mortgages in Canada are set to have their payments go up massively unless rates come down ASAP.

Can we keep the stealth politics out of this?
We sure can.

The observation that Texans and Floridians have been bragging about their cost of living and quality of life, and are now seeing the results of everyone listening to them isn't political. Not in my opinion, as it seems to me that bragging about low cost of living is a non-partisan activity.

I certainly respect your commitment to policing the FFA. Godspeed.
Sorry...don't get the politics angle here. See what ya want I guess? What I posted is all fact and not in dispute. Marketing for this state has tons of people duped. My message to all considering moving here is to not...it's WAY more expensive than you'd think even with no state income tax.

Pardon me?

I'll give this a read. My knee-jerk reaction is that pushing people onto variable-rate mortgages just adds that much more risk to buying a home. The type of people who talk about stuff like this on a message board will understand that, adjust accordingly, and be just fine. But given that a lot of adults already get in over their head as it is, it terrifies me to think about what would be happening right now if existing homeowners were seeing their mortgage rates double or triple over the course of just a few years. (Edit: What @The Duff Man just said!) That seems like catastrophically bad policy-making.

The obvious objection, I suppose, is that we're just shifting all that interest rate risk over to lenders, but that seems fine. Banks ought be better-positioned assess and mitigate that risk than the average Joe.
I agree with you and don't think variable rate mortgages is a solution and personally think a 30 year mortgage is generally better for most folks. I think article is most usueful for explaining differences between us and the rest of the world and how we got there. Take some of the conclusions with skeptiscm since a one way optoin for the debtor is a good thing if you are the debtor.

Last edited:
Chief Economist at Moody’s - Link:

“Household credit quality is stabilizing. The delinquency rate on all debt stood at 1.82% in December, which is about what it was in August. Credit card delinquency is still edging up, but delinquency on all other loans is flat to down, including auto and consumer finance. This data is for all consumers based on Equifax credit files. That is, it is not based on a sample of credit files, but on all credit files, and it is through December.

“It’s also encouraging that the growth in household debt continues to slow across all types of loans, as tighter underwriting standards since last March’s banking crisis bite. This, along with low unemployment and Fed rate cuts, should result in lower delinquency by mid-year.”

Last summer, the owner of San Francisco’s Hilton Union Square and Parc 55 hotels abandoned its loan in the first major default. Industry insiders speculate that loan defaults like this may become more common given the difficult period for investors.

At a visitor impact summit in August, a senior director of hospitality analytics for the CoStar Group reported that there are 22 active commercial mortgage-backed securities loans for hotels in San Francisco maturing in the next two years. Of these hotel loans, 17 are on CoStar’s “watchlist,” as they are at a higher risk of default, the analyst said. -SF Gate

I'm pretty particular about who I listen to, but I like this guy as his hypotheses seem to be data driven. This is 5 months old; if anything, things have gotten worse.

Don't Be Surprised by China's Collapse || Peter Zeihan

Here's one from February that is an update to the one @kupcho1 mentions above as well as takes on the Israeli conflict. I'm a sucker for Zeihan stuff, getting through his book The End of the World is Just the Beginning.

I'm pretty particular about who I listen to, but I like this guy as his hypotheses seem to be data driven. This is 5 months old; if anything, things have gotten worse.

Here's one from February that is an update to the one @kupcho1 mentions above as well as takes on the Israeli conflict. I'm a sucker for Zeihan stuff, getting through his book The End of the World is Just the Beginning.

I believe that this is what is driving what's happening in the US economy, particularly the repatriation of manufacturing.
Unions will be doing very well over the next decade or so.

I believe that this is what is driving what's happening in the US economy, particularly the repatriation of manufacturing.
Unions will be doing very well over the next decade or so.
Hope so, it's hard to listen to him and not feel good about winning the birth lottery :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread