What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I haven't been to the movie theater since before the Pandemic, when is the last time you went? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
How about just the entire experience has made me feel uncomfortable in recent years?
Also, I haven't connected with a lot of movies that have been released plus I'm lazy and can just turn on the big OLED, kick on my surround, pop my beers and relax on my leather couch.
These movies are in the theaters for a couple weeks and then they start streaming immediately, there is almost no wait time or incentive to run to the theaters.

-Last film I tell people I saw is "The Irishman" and I thought it was a damn fine film, was not something I wanted to just stream on Netflix, that was Oct/Nov '19
-My wife had to ruin that story by reminding me that she rooked me into the movies on Christmas that year to watch...wait for it...CATS! :x

I was fired up to get myself back into the theaters and at least be prepared to go see a movie by one of a handful of directors that i will blindly buy a movie ticket for.
Those directors include one Martin Scorsese who just got a 10 minute standing ovation at Cannes, that film will not be out until October but that is my target if I don't see any of the summer movies.

-The Indiana Jones film looks like a disaster, the advance reviews don't seem to heap praise on it and then i find out Spielberg didn't even direct it, PASS
-A Tarantino release would also have me running into the theaters.

Any chance some of you have not been to a movie theater in a long time? I used to go at least twice a month when i lived in Los Angeles/Santa Monica '00-'08 and saw a lot of great movies at some amazing theaters, new and old when I was in California. In the last 10 years it's hard for me to point at a lot of great movies that I want to re-watch. No Country for Old Men was a movie that I used to like to watch more than once, it's been a while since I've seen it. I find myself watching TCM and they actually will play some 80s movies, I love the 60s and 70s films they tend to run throughout the month.

I don't even know what a ticket cost or a bucket of popcorn, can you get a bucket still?

Went last month to see Air. It's already on Prime now. Went right after lunch so I have no idea what the snacks cost (this is my usual plan unless I go where they have meal and alcohol service) but some did have the big bucket of popcorn.

Went last month to see Air. It's already on Prime now. Went right after lunch so I have no idea what the snacks cost (this is my usual plan unless I go where they have meal and alcohol service) but some did have the big bucket of popcorn.
That's awesome, my son watched it on Amazon last night and I plan on watching it in the next couple days so we can compare notes. He loved it and I wasn't sure he would even understand the impact that shoe and that player had on a generation of kids.

I bet that film looked really good on a big movie screen. I saw the ads for a couple days, went on the road to Smokies when it opened and by the time I got back it was close to streaming time.

I've been a few times, but I'm largely with you. Don't particularly enjoy the experience, especially since I'm not into the MCU/superhero movies that dominate the box office these days.

In fact, I don't really watch a ton of movies period. I much prefer episodic TV shows; there are always a million that I have on my list and haven't gotten to yet

Raiders of the Lost Ark which runs 24/7 on cable will be in theaters in all it's glory on Sunday June 4th and it looks like it is playing fairly wide that night, possibly even 2 time slots at your theater.
Wed June 7th as well

Vacation will be in theaters in July
Enter the Dragon in August

Work rents out movie theater sometimes as an outing. Often times don't watch the movie and just sit at the bar and talk. If you drop those out of the mix, twice in a decade.

Saw one of the star wars, and a Sherlock.

Can't imagine a situation where I would go to a movie theater regularly again

I've been a few times, but I'm largely with you. Don't particularly enjoy the experience, especially since I'm not into the MCU/superhero movies that dominate the box office these days.

In fact, I don't really watch a ton of movies period. I much prefer episodic TV shows; there are always a million that I have on my list and haven't gotten to yet
The quality of the TV shows has passed a lot of movies.
And my wife and I can stream them when it's convenient and not trying to rush to a theater in traffic

I'm going to preface this by saying my wife LOVES the annual popcorn bucket, so that's my penance for going to the movies. Looking back at my online ticket purchases on AMC's app, here's the list of movies I've seen in theaters since the beginning of 2020 (basically from when everything all but shut down).

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019, but gonna count it)
Onward (March 2020 - have 2 kids)
Spiral: SAW (May 2021)
A Quiet Place Part 2 (May 2021)
In the Heights (June 2021 - Family enjoys Broadway musicals and really likes Lin Manuel-Miranda)
The Green Knight (August 2021)
The Suicide Squad (August 2021)
Shang-Chi (September 2021)
Dear Evan Hansen (September 2021)
Halloween Kills (October 2021)
Spider-Man: No Way Home (December 2021)
The Batman (April 2022)
Doctor Strange (May 2022)
Thor: Love and Thunder (July 2022)
Jaws (Summer 2022 - in 3D - One of my favorite movies)
Halloween Ends (October 2022)
Scream VI (March 2023)

As you can see, my theater experience has primarily come down to superhero movies (I love the big-screen experience for those types of movies) and horror releases (my favorite genre). It has diminished considerably though following 2021.

You can still get the popcorn bucket.

Youtube Podcasts get streamed a lot in my house. The magic of a remote and 1-click Youtube appears
I especially enjoy the Bill Maher "Club Random" it is very informative and you get some awesome behind the scenes stories
Bill smokes the entire time and makes no apologies, he sits in the home that is next door to his real home. He bought the place form Ben Affleck I believe that's how the story goes.
The Woody Harrelson interview should not be missed, follow that one with the David Spade episode and just relax and listen.

We have Netflix, Amazon, Disney Minus(Son's Password), On Demand and yeah sometimes i still cannot find anything to watch but that's usually when we start loading up the wildlife animal videos like "Chimp Empire" and if you haven't seen it, well worth a watch although I admit they add a little bit of drama to it.

i just like watching the movies on my own couch better and it is cheaper and i like my healthy butter substitute popcorn better so i doubt ill go back to a theater ever again to be honest take that to the bank brohans

Our small town movie theater closed last year. Last movie I saw in the theater was Top Gun: Maverick.

With the new TVs and sound systems, you can get pretty close to replicating the movie "experience" without having to deal with driving, parking, the insane cost of popcorn and soda - "would you like our mega-value deal - 48 oz soda and 5 lbs of popcorn for $26.50?", sitting in an uncomfortable seat, sticky floors, people talking, people on their phones, etc. I'm done with it.

Only movie I've been to at the theater since the pandemic was Cocaine Bear. A nice family outing, lol.

Planning to see the last Indiana Jones in the theater, don't put much stock in reviews. More a nostalgia thing than anything.

Wife and I will go see Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon when it comes out. That looks like a good one. Just downloaded the book last night and started reading that.

Took my son to see the Mario movie twice last month. He was in heaven. Got him a giant popcorn bucket that was designed to look like one of those power up blocks you break. Lot of fun.
Your son is in that Golden Age of Movie Magic where it's really fun to bring your kid to the show. You all can still enjoy movies when he's a teen and all ... just the dynamic changes. In the meantime -- soak it up.

Been to a few movies this year, Dungeons and Dragons the last one. Probably catch GOTG soon.

Raiders of the Lost Ark which runs 24/7 on cable will be in theaters in all it's glory on Sunday June 4th and it looks like it is playing fairly wide that night, possibly even 2 time slots at your theater.
Wed June 7th as well

Vacation will be in theaters in July
Enter the Dragon in August

Meh, it's only something like the 60th best movie of the 80s. I'll pass.

I love going to the movies. But I haven't been since Christmastime when I saw the new Avatar - a movie that really needs to be seen in the theater.

I'm sure I'll go again soon. But this isn't a great time for movies. Everything is superhero.

I've seen James bond, Dr strange 2, Batman, spider man, and Mario. It used to be more... After dr strange 2 though I have stopped seeing marvel movies in the theatre. My wife doesn't do movies in the theater ever... Just doesn't like it and my main buddy I saw bro movies with moved away after COVID... So I don't go now.

Every marvel movie with my oldest son. At this point it’s a tradition. Looking forward to the next spider verse!

I've seen James bond, Dr strange 2, Batman, spider man, and Mario. It used to be more... After dr strange 2 though I have stopped seeing marvel movies in the theatre. My wife doesn't do movies in the theater ever... Just doesn't like it and my main buddy I saw bro movies with moved away after COVID... So I don't go now.
You’re missing out on GotG3 imo.

I think last one was Top Gun: Maverick. I’ve got a 7 year old and once you throw in cost of babysitter with the movie, hard to justify it when so much stuff available to watch on demand.

I do want to see Killers of the Flower Moon and Oppenheimer in particular for upcoming releases this year. Big fan of the books that each are based on.

The last several movies I went to the theater for were since 2021:

Dune (IMAX)
Top Gun Maverick (IMAX)
Halloween Ends
The Batman (IMAX)
Creed III

That’s it. I am extremely selective in what I want to see on the silver screen. It’s expensive....and I only want to see premium films (typically IMAX experiences obviously).

I have a great home theatre set up......it’s too comfortable to not stay home. I love my 4K Blue Rays and my Blue Rays........the picture and sound is top notch. And I can pause, make food....etc. And no annoying people on their phones, or talking, coughing and sneezing all over the place and blowing *** as well. And don’t get me started on little kids at night movies that are clearly not for them but the parents won’t pay for a sitter......ARRRRRRRR!!!!

I do like going to the movies once in a while as a treat. That was not the case years and years ago where we went to the movies at least once a week (high school, 20’s and 30’s) once I hit my 40’s it became......a PITA more than a pleasure....LOL.

Anyway.......my next planned silver screen films are going to be:

Indiana Jones
Insidious 5
Dune Part II

Every marvel movie with my oldest son. At this point it’s a tradition. Looking forward to the next spider verse!
My daughter and I also hit almost all of the Marvel ones. Only one we’ve missed is the latest Ant-Man.

Fortunately, since we live in a small town now, the local theater is only $6 each. We got 2 sodas, lg popcorn with free refills and 2 things of candy for another $12.

My daughter and I also hit almost all of the Marvel ones. Only one we’ve missed is the latest Ant-Man.

Fortunately, since we live in a small town now, the local theater is only $6 each. We got 2 sodas, lg popcorn with free refills and 2 things of candy for another $12.
That’s great......down here....it’s a $50 night for my son and wife and I to go see a movie.

That is 3 tickets, a large popcorn, 3 drinks/icees

Lunacy man.

Since covid, I think the two movies I've seen in theaters have been Dune (good) and Nope (meh). This isn't really a departure from my pre-pandemic frequency -- I'm not a big movie person to begin with. Oppenheimer might be interesting enough to warrant a theater visit this summer.

That's awesome, my son watched it on Amazon last night and I plan on watching it in the next couple days so we can compare notes. He loved it and I wasn't sure he would even understand the impact that shoe and that player had on a generation of kids.

I bet that film looked really good on a big movie screen. I saw the ads for a couple days, went on the road to Smokies when it opened and by the time I got back it was close to streaming time.
Yeah, though I think it will translate well to home viewing. I'm still glad I saw it on a screen though, as I enjoy the theater experience.

I love going to the movies. But I haven't been since Christmastime when I saw the new Avatar - a movie that really needs to be seen in the theater.

I'm sure I'll go again soon. But this isn't a great time for movies. Everything is superhero.

Pretty much this. I still enjoy going to the movies but there just haven’t been too many worthwhile releases. Run times are super short now - it’s like 1-2 weeks andthen you can stream it. But I’m sure we’ll still keep going.

Since Spring 2020, I have been to see a number of classic movies at BAM Rose Cinema; but I think we’ve only seen 2-3 new movies. We also went twice to see episodes of The Chosen in the past year (which started streaming a few days after theatrical release.)

Pretty much this. I still enjoy going to the movies but there just haven’t been too many worthwhile releases. Run times are super short now - it’s like 1-2 weeks andthen you can stream it. But I’m sure we’ll still keep going.

Since Spring 2020, I have been to see a number of classic movies at BAM Rose Cinema; but I think we’ve only seen 2-3 new movies. We also went twice to see episodes of The Chosen in the past year (which started streaming a few days after theatrical release.)

Oh that reminds me, an old theater (regular, not movie) downtown here runs a summer classic film series. There are a number of great movies showing but I want to see if I can sit through Lawrence of Arabia in a theater. I've only ever seen it at home - where I can get up, go to the bathroom, pause, take a nap, etc.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was my last. One before was Beau is Afraid. That's one interesting movie but I hated the ending.

You mention No Country for Old Men. I finally saw that a few months ago and was dumbfounded why anyone would like that movie. A real head scratcher for me.

Not sure what kind of garbage theaters you guys have but ours are pretty nice. Small theaters, leather recliners, combo packs of small soda, popcorn, candy pack for $6, matinee ticket is $10. Took my son to Mario and is was like $35 total.

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 was my last. One before was Beau is Afraid. That's one interesting movie but I hated the ending.

You mention No Country for Old Men. I finally saw that a few months ago and was dumbfounded why anyone would like that movie. A real head scratcher for me.

super sad ending, but I loved it

Lets see
  1. Dune
  2. Nightmare Alley
  3. West Side Story
  4. Licorice Pizza
  5. Belfast
  6. House of Gucci
  7. No Time to Die
  8. Everything Everywhere
  9. Banshees
  10. Tar
  11. Maverick
  12. Avatar 1
  13. Avatar 2
  14. The Batman
  15. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
  16. Glass Onion
  17. Scream reboot
  18. Goodfellas
  19. The Conformist
  20. Safety Last

Lets see
  1. Dune
  2. Nightmare Alley
  3. West Side Story
  4. Licorice Pizza
  5. Belfast
  6. House of Gucci
  7. No Time to Die
  8. Everything Everywhere
  9. Banshees
  10. Tar
  11. Maverick
  12. Avatar 1
  13. Avatar 2
  14. The Batman
  15. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
  16. Glass Onion
  17. Scream reboot
  18. Goodfellas
  19. The Conformist
  20. Safety Last
At the theater?

The last movie I saw in a theater was The Departed in 2006.
Now that I don't have a home theater anymore and a new theater just opened a few blocks away, I intend on going back again.

Users who are viewing this thread