What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I leave for Qatar tomorrow (1 Viewer)

I knew the answer was bribery and remember all the FIFA fat cats getting dragged out by law enforcement. I sure am glad I'm in no position to accept bribes because lord knows I wouldn't be above the fray.

What isn't understandable is going through with it. 2015 was a long time ago. The world couldn't come together back then and right a wrong? Why is Qatar being rewarded for their bribery?

I'll watch Oliver and read the Athletic today. As Lord Helmet brilliantly said to Lonestar: "Evil will always triumph because good is dumb".

Qatar was awarded this world cup back in 2010. The finalists were Australia, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, and the United States. Bill Clinton headed up the US bid and reportedly broke a mirror with his fist in the hotel room when Qatar was announced as the winner. Everyone in the world who was remotely following this instantly knew it was a case of bald-faced bribery and corruption because that was old news for us. In 2015 US Attorney General Loretta Lynch took an unprecedented action in indicting several top FIFA officials. It was huge news at the time. There was dramatic video of executives doing perp walks and boxes of documents being loaded into black limos. But Lynch was only in office for 2 years and I honestly have no idea the current status of those prosecutions. In the soccer world, we've been reading about this for over 12 years and I think there is a bit of fatigue with it all now that the event is finally here. The fact of FIFA corruption has always been very open and well-known - and surely was prevalent long before the Qatar selection. Over the past decade, there's been constant talk of removing this World Cup from Qatar and holding it somewhere else, but that has never ever been a realistic possibility. There have been dozens of excellent media exposes and documentaries over this time on the corruption, the scandals, the criminals, the inhumane treatment of migrant workers and the clash of cultures between the international soccer community and sharia law - coming from journalists all over the world. Yes - it seems rediculous to host the world cup in Doha. At the same time, there is a legitimate argument that this World Cup is bridging the gap between the Arab world and the international soccer community. Just this morning, Saudi Arabia defeated Argentina in one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history. The sport is growing in the Middle East and part of FIFA's mission is to encourage that growth. From the perspective of a soccer fan, this is all old news to me and I just want to watch the games now.
I hate to say it, but you're going to be inundated with a lot of "new" issues from us casual fans.*

*Myself, for an example, loves the World Cup and will watch every game but doesn't want a minute of really any other soccer.

And, I appreciate the patience and grace shown by guys like CM who DO know their stuff and explain in a way that's easy to understand for the casual fan. I'm with you, I love WC soccer, but I watch far more women's soccer then men's on a professional level and even then, that pales in comparison to my consumption of other sports. But, like you, I geek out over WC soccer.

I knew the answer was bribery and remember all the FIFA fat cats getting dragged out by law enforcement. I sure am glad I'm in no position to accept bribes because lord knows I wouldn't be above the fray.

What isn't understandable is going through with it. 2015 was a long time ago. The world couldn't come together back then and right a wrong? Why is Qatar being rewarded for their bribery?

I'll watch Oliver and read the Athletic today. As Lord Helmet brilliantly said to Lonestar: "Evil will always triumph because good is dumb".

Qatar was awarded this world cup back in 2010. The finalists were Australia, Japan, Qatar, South Korea, and the United States. Bill Clinton headed up the US bid and reportedly broke a mirror with his fist in the hotel room when Qatar was announced as the winner. Everyone in the world who was remotely following this instantly knew it was a case of bald-faced bribery and corruption because that was old news for us. In 2015 US Attorney General Loretta Lynch took an unprecedented action in indicting several top FIFA officials. It was huge news at the time. There was dramatic video of executives doing perp walks and boxes of documents being loaded into black limos. But Lynch was only in office for 2 years and I honestly have no idea the current status of those prosecutions. In the soccer world, we've been reading about this for over 12 years and I think there is a bit of fatigue with it all now that the event is finally here. The fact of FIFA corruption has always been very open and well-known - and surely was prevalent long before the Qatar selection. Over the past decade, there's been constant talk of removing this World Cup from Qatar and holding it somewhere else, but that has never ever been a realistic possibility. There have been dozens of excellent media exposes and documentaries over this time on the corruption, the scandals, the criminals, the inhumane treatment of migrant workers and the clash of cultures between the international soccer community and sharia law - coming from journalists all over the world. Yes - it seems rediculous to host the world cup in Doha. At the same time, there is a legitimate argument that this World Cup is bridging the gap between the Arab world and the international soccer community. Just this morning, Saudi Arabia defeated Argentina in one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history. The sport is growing in the Middle East and part of FIFA's mission is to encourage that growth. From the perspective of a soccer fan, this is all old news to me and I just want to watch the games now.
I hate to say it, but you're going to be inundated with a lot of "new" issues from us casual fans.*

*Myself, for an example, loves the World Cup and will watch every game but doesn't want a minute of really any other soccer.

And, I appreciate the patience and grace shown by guys like CM who DO know their stuff and explain in a way that's easy to understand for the casual fan. I'm with you, I love WC soccer, but I watch far more women's soccer then men's on a professional level and even then, that pales in comparison to my consumption of other sports. But, like you, I geek out over WC soccer.
pales… great use of the word my very pale friend

@Zigg how close are all the stadiums to each other, either via walking or metro or whatever transportation you are using?

While this is a disastrous place to have a World Cup, the proximity of all the stadiums to each other does make it seem like it would be really cool.
End to end on the metro is about 45 minutes. Also a couple trams connecting more of the city. Very good system.

I’m watching a game in every stadium, and it seems all are very easy to get to. There is a shuttle from each stadium to the metro.

Doha is a very nice city. I’m enjoying myself here. Went to the waterfront yesterday and it’s lovely. Not sure if I’d return, but wouldn’t mind a couple days here without the World Cup.

That said, it seems they largely overestimated how many people would be here. The fan festival was empty while I was there(left 15 minutes before Arg/Sa started). While the metro has winding barricades to slow non existing crowds of people. A little annoying.

Going to Can/Bel today and really looking forward to it. I’ll report on the game experience here.

What's the food like? In the stadium and in general? I know nothing about Qatari culture. I do know they are a major producer of helium, which is a buzz worthy gas at the moment.

pales… great use of the word my very pale friend

Man, you shoulda seen me this summer - I was a nice shade of pink!

Despite the result, i had a great time at the game. The stadium is fantastic, and my seats were excellent(last time🤨). Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I thought Canada definitely held their own. Also thought Buchanan was the best player on the field.

DeBruyne was underwhelming. He had loads of space several times and did little with it. Scared the crap out of me too often.

The seat fillers are absolutely a thing. The thing that pisses me off the most, are the fillers, the empty seats, and real fans are still at the back having paid for top tier seats.

The logistics are solid. Got out quite quick.

Not sure how I feel about them player “Started from the bottom” when Canada took the field. Seemed a little too apt for my liking.

Despite the result, i had a great time at the game. The stadium is fantastic, and my seats were excellent(last time🤨). Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I thought Canada definitely held their own. Also thought Buchanan was the best player on the field.

You should read the WC thread. There are a million comments on the Canada game today in there. Every one was very impressed with the performance of Canada.

@Zigg how close are all the stadiums to each other, either via walking or metro or whatever transportation you are using?

While this is a disastrous place to have a World Cup, the proximity of all the stadiums to each other does make it seem like it would be really cool.
End to end on the metro is about 45 minutes. Also a couple trams connecting more of the city. Very good system.

I’m watching a game in every stadium, and it seems all are very easy to get to. There is a shuttle from each stadium to the metro.

Doha is a very nice city. I’m enjoying myself here. Went to the waterfront yesterday and it’s lovely. Not sure if I’d return, but wouldn’t mind a couple days here without the World Cup.

That said, it seems they largely overestimated how many people would be here. The fan festival was empty while I was there(left 15 minutes before Arg/Sa started). While the metro has winding barricades to slow non existing crowds of people. A little annoying.

Going to Can/Bel today and really looking forward to it. I’ll report on the game experience here.

What's the food like? In the stadium and in general? I know nothing about Qatari culture. I do know they are a major producer of helium, which is a buzz worthy gas at the moment.
Finally found some Qatari food. It’s normal Middle East food. I had roasted chicken with olives, dates and capers on rice. It was delicious. Will hit that place up several times. Cost about $20US for a decent portion plus drink.

Haven’t, and probably won’t touch stadium food. Typical overpriced dogs, pizza etc.

Had Shake Shack for dinner. They use veal bacon.

Yeah, tons of glowing comments on Canada in the other thread. Did more than enough to win the game, but didn't. Because, soccer.

Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I thought Canada definitely held their own.

you’re not wrong
How do we feel about Buchanan? I’ll read the that thread tomorrow.

Going to SK/Uruguay!!!
He played well. He pressed their backline pretty hard and created a couple of chances, but he snatched at the few attempts he saw. Would've liked to see him have a little more composure there.

Eustaquio was the best Canadian player for me. He outplayed De Bruyne in midfield and was the lynchpin to switching from defense to attack so quickly for Canada.

PSA - Steer clear of Camels while in Qatar
“Epidemiologic data from Qatar showed the occurrence of 28 cases of MERS (incidence of 1.7 per 1,000,000 population) and most cases had a history of contact with camels. Thus, people with greater risk of developing severe disease are advised to avoid contact with dromedary camels, drinking raw camel milk or camel urine, or eating meat that has not been properly cooked,” the study authors write.

The seat fillers are absolutely a thing. The thing that pisses me off the most, are the fillers, the empty seats, and real fans are still at the back having paid for top tier seats.
Pretty noticeable on TV that a lot of the club level seats remain empty.

PSA - Steer clear of Camels while in Qatar
“Epidemiologic data from Qatar showed the occurrence of 28 cases of MERS (incidence of 1.7 per 1,000,000 population) and most cases had a history of contact with camels. Thus, people with greater risk of developing severe disease are advised to avoid contact with dromedary camels, drinking raw camel milk or camel urine, or eating meat that has not been properly cooked,” the study authors write.
I heard the ones without filters are the most harmful.

Enjoyed the game, but would be nice to see some goals that aren’t scored against Canada. Hopefully I get a few tomorrow, Fra-Den.

They really did an incredible job with these stadiums. Another fantastic one today. This was my first stadium that isn’t near metro. Roughly 25 minute bus from the station. Very well organized though.

@Zigg How was the weather today? The commentators mentioned today being a bit hotter than other days have been. I'm curious about what a "bit hotter" means in the Middle East.

DeBruyne was underwhelming. He had loads of space several times and did little with it. Scared the crap out of me too often.

Been covered already- but I thought Canada imposed themselves and controlled that game... like they did throughout qualifying. BUT... instead of playing organized, full of heart defense and countering with those fantastic attacking players... they went out and flat out controlled the game. against arguably the best MF in the world. unlucky not to at least get a point.

Someone tell me if I’m wrong, but I thought Canada definitely held their own.

you’re not wrong
How do we feel about Buchanan? I’ll read the that thread tomorrow.
Taj was amazing in qualifying... providing a ton of pressure on both sides of the ball- and finishing almost everything that came to him. he did all of the same stuff- except the finishing, which was disappointing for such a quality guy.

but Davies played at a different level- best guy on the field for either team and somehow is raising his own already insanely high standard so far one game in.

Canada was the most impressive team in the first set of games.

Let’s not go overboard here. They played really well but lost. France, England and even Japan get the nod over the Canucks.

@Zigg How was the weather today? The commentators mentioned today being a bit hotter than other days have been. I'm curious about what a "bit hotter" means in the Middle East.
I didn’t notice it being any warmer. If you’re referring specifically to the time of the American game, nights have been very mild here. Obviously can’t speak for field level, but can’t see why it would be significantly hotter.

What I find very weird here, is that it will be 29C in the afternoon Sun and feel pretty hot, but then night will be cool and very comfortable while still being 25-26C.

Is there a reason it will feel so different, but the actual temperature is very similar?

I didn’t notice it being any warmer. If you’re referring specifically to the time of the American game, nights have been very mild here. Obviously can’t speak for field level, but can’t see why it would be significantly hotter.

What I find very weird here, is that it will be 29C in the afternoon Sun and feel pretty hot, but then night will be cool and very comfortable while still being 25-26C.

Is there a reason it will feel so different, but the actual temperature is very similar?
Humidity, sunlight and wind. The first two make it seem hotter, while the third makes any given temp feel cooler.

Let’s not go overboard here. They played really well but lost. France, England and even Japan get the nod over the Canucks.
Uh, Spain crushed CR into dust.

Had a Stadium hot dog today. Reasonable price at about $12US for a big dog and a coke. Problem is that the dog tasted like it was boiled for about 20 seconds. The concession situation is awful. Hope I have time to get a quick meal between tomorrows matches.

@Zigg have you been to any of the fan zones for games where you didn’t have tickets? I’m curious about whether the rowdiness factor has been massively dialed down or if reports just aren’t getting out. For example, I’ve heard zero reports thus far about England fans that you always hear at every World Cup, so I have to imagine the Qatari policies could be having a big impact.

@Zigg have you been to any of the fan zones for games where you didn’t have tickets? I’m curious about whether the rowdiness factor has been massively dialed down or if reports just aren’t getting out. For example, I’ve heard zero reports thus far about England fans that you always hear at every World Cup, so I have to imagine the Qatari policies could be having a big impact.

Wales and English fans got into it, not in Qatar but in Tenerife

Exactly. So this would be an interesting contrast to what might be happening in Qatar. Any other place on the planet and ENG-WAL match might be a complete debacle.

Maybe in Qatar it won’t be really 🤷‍♂️

Because Fahrenheit is better for this sort of thing 77 degrees F definitely is different from 84 degrees F and Fahrenheit reflects that well. Anyway speaking of F let us know if any Croatia fans hassle you about your coach's "F" comment ;). And Go Canada!!!

-QG

Exactly. So this would be an interesting contrast to what might be happening in Qatar. Any other place on the planet and ENG-WAL match might be a complete debacle.

I have no idea but my guess is the location and the likely serious nature of getting arrested did not attract the type of folks who wish to smash beers mugs over each other domes. :)

I have no idea but my guess is the location and the likely serious nature of getting arrested did not attract the type of folks who wish to smash beers mugs over each other domes. :)
Just public floggings if they are lucky.

Because Fahrenheit is better for this sort of thing 77 degrees F definitely is different from 84 degrees F and Fahrenheit reflects that well. Anyway speaking of F let us know if any Croatia fans hassle you about your coach's "F" comment ;). And Go Canada!!!

-QG
Also compare being in the sun vs shade on a hot day mostly anywhere

Uh, Spain crushed CR into dust.

Yep, just forgot them - they get the top spot even though CR was garbage

The atmosphere here is garbage. Maybe 200 Danes at the match yesterday. People in my little village quietly watch the match on the big screen.

I haven’t been to a fan fest since my first day. Chatting with a fellow Canadian fan, he said it’s $250 for 6 beers and some pub food. He also told me they only serve between 7-10p at the fan festival. Apparently about $15/16 a beer. I don’t have a tiny bit of interest.

No hassling from Croatian fans because I think I’ve seen four of them.

Users who are viewing this thread