What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I leave for Qatar tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Zigg

Footballguy
Hello all. Thought I’d start a thread in case anyone is interested. Booked a while ago hoping for a great adventure, but aware of a possible cluster*. I also don’t want to pollute soccer discussions. I have tickets to 13 games, and am very excited.

I’m going because I’m a soccer fan. Because I’m a Canadian soccer fan. Because summer is very lucrative at my work, so a November World Cup is ideal. I believe Qatar was a terrible choice, but if I avoided decisions by greedy people I disagreed with I wouldn’t do anything.

I’m staying in a fan village container. I don’t get the Fyre Festival comparisons at all. It’s exactly what they advertised. Expensive, but what isn’t.

My only gripe so far are my seats. Paid for top category, and my seats suck for every game. Not pleased with that at all.

Ask any questions. I’ll try to keep you guys informed for things go south.

Wish me luck.

In your opinion, how do you view LIV Golf's association with Saudi Arabia as compared to FIFA's association with Qatar? Love to hear your thoughts on all.
Don’t care either way. I’m very pessimistic about corporate greed, and there’s nothing I can do. FIFA is disgusting.

I strongly support players who chase the money. PGA is greedy as F, so no sympathy if it folds because players want more money. I don’t like organizations getting rich off the ability of others. PGA rips off players in my opinion. Proven by the quick purse increase when competition popped up.

I’ll owners support players over owners.

Sounds like a super-cool trip, and I'm excited to read about it. I went to the Finals in Berlin in 2006, and it was a blast, though the early-round games in Chicago in 1994 were even more fun.

Very interested in how the containers are. How much did you have to pay nightly for those?

$207/night. A rip off, but basically no hotels and near impossible to book 14 days any other way. Hoping for the best. Has air conditioning and wifi, so that’s a good start.

The fact that I work for Marriott adds a little sting. Would have been nice to use our discount.

Please explain to me what these are?

Very interested in how the containers are. How much did you have to pay nightly for those?

$207/night. A rip off, but basically no hotels and near impossible to book 14 days any other way. Hoping for the best. Has air conditioning and wifi, so that’s a good start.

The fact that I work for Marriott adds a little sting. Would have been nice to use our discount.

Search Qatar fan village on YouTube. I’m not good at linking. Basically a bunch of shipping containers turned into hotel style rooms.

Has a huge screen to watch games, food court, basketball courts, soccer fields, exercise equipment etc.

Search Qatar fan village on YouTube. I’m not good at linking. Basically a bunch of shipping containers turned into hotel style rooms.

Has a huge screen to watch games, food court, basketball courts, soccer fields, exercise equipment etc.

That sounds like a crazy-fun time. Seriously.

Do you drink booze? If so, will you be imbibing on this trip? HVe fun!
From the story I heard yesterday, even if he normally does, he probably won't be on this trip. Not easy to get normally and they've pulled all sales at the games - had been previously approved but now gone.

Here's a flattering article

I'm only a very casual soccer fan, but I just absolutely cannot get motivated for the WC this time around. Everything about this -- the corruption, the human rights abuses, the government copied and pasted from the dark ages, the disruption to the club schedule, all of it -- just combines to make this whole event unenjoyable for me. Sucks because we have an exciting draw IMO.

I'll be back for the Gold Cup but I'll probably just sit this one out.

I'm only a very casual soccer fan, but I just absolutely cannot get motivated for the WC this time around. Everything about this -- the corruption, the human rights abuses, the government copied and pasted from the dark ages, the disruption to the club schedule, all of it -- just combines to make this whole event unenjoyable for me. Sucks because we have an exciting draw IMO.

You are far from the only one. Many have the same feelings.

I am doing what I can to compartmentalize my disgust for the organizers of the tournament and my knowledge that the players had absolutely nothing to do with this. For many of these players this will be their one and only chance at this event in their career and I don't like the idea of them being the diminished by people not watching, especially when none of them had any say in the corruption of how the cup was stolen, or how the country is run. They just want to play.

Last edited:

I am doing what I can to compartmentalize my disgust for the organizers of the tournament and my knowledge that the players had absolutely nothing to do with this. For many of these players this will be their one and only chance at this event in their career and I don't like the idea of them being the diminished by people not watching, especially when none of them had any say in the corruption of how the cup was stolen, or how the country is run. They just want to play.

I totally get the sentiment but I would make two comments: 1. Don't let the corruption ruin your fun - fans bleed for soccer, they deserve to enjoy this despite the higher ups. 2. There's literally nothing you can do that will change anything - not watching helps nobody and just hurts you. My :2cents:

I have a few friends traveling as well. They'll be grabbing tix where they can, if you are selling, send me a PM

Do you have any plans to visit museums, shopping malls, the local market, etc?
I’d like to. My schedule is very match heavy with 13 games over 11 days.

My biggest concern is infrastructure. Can they support all these people getting around? If so, I’d definitely like to look around when I can.

Found the game at an airport bar. Only get to watch the first half. Really hoping for a normal game with no ref shenanigans and no “mistakes” by Ecuador.

I totally get it, and just to clarify (I know you're not saying this) I don't mean to sound judgy about anybody else enjoying the WC. I'm going spend my afternoon watching the NFL -- which is not exactly run by the local deacons -- and the main game that I'm interested in today features a team that handed a massive guaranteed contract to a serial sex offender. None of that will affect my enjoyment of watching football. I can totally compartmentalize this stuff, and I have no problem with people who can do that with WC 2022. I just can't will myself to flip that switch is all.

Do they have windows?

Here's a flattering article
Headline maker worked overtime on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread