What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I miss ESPN Primetime-NFL game recaps (1 Viewer)

LAbronco

Footballguy
What happened w/ESPN? Their weekly recaps of NFL games suck now. They used to show about 60-90 secs of highlights per game. Now, it's pared down to about 15-20 seconds. Why do they think we want to hear Dilfer and Tom Jackson dissect the games rather than see highlights on games we missed? Very disappointed.

Similar situation w/NBC recap.

Part of the problem are the announcers themselves, they seem to not sit there and watch the games, they themselves are simply reacting to the highlights.

Highlights don't tell the whole story, they rush thru them as well. Would love to see a show at night dedicated to more in depth analysis. The NFLN is OK but not light years better on recaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't miss Berman, but Primetime was one of the best parts of Sunday. I guess ESPN losing Sunday night games was the death of it.

It is a business......show small clips, later in the show, with tons of expensive commercials, and a lot of filler.

I would tolerate berman just to watch the old version

Slapdash said:
I don't miss Berman, but Primetime was one of the best parts of Sunday. I guess ESPN losing Sunday night games was the death of it.
Really miss Primetime. NFL network is just about unwatchable with Deion and Irvin.

Slapdash said:
This. The league wants you to watch the NBC pre-game show since they now have the Sunday night contract. I think they limit what highlights any other outlet can show. Sucks...NFL Primetime was awesome.

Inside the NFL or nothing for me, when it comes to highlights.

I do watch most of the Short Cuts (part of the Sunday Ticket package) for the games.

Its funny I was digging through my basement this weekened and came across some vhs tapes from when I used to record shows. In there was the last episode of primetime 2006. Can't believe its been that long.

Loved the music. It would get you so pumped. And I liked Berman's build up.

"Surely the Mighty Niners will walk all over the Rams. That's why they play the games."

When ESPN lost Sunday Night football they weren't allowed to directly compete with NBC and couldn't show full highlights.

When NBC got Sunday Night Football, they signed an exclusive contract for "pre-game highlights" rights as well. Meaning ESPN, or other competing networks can't run extensive NFL-only Highlights shows until the conclusion of the SNF game. I'm sure Primetime, airing from 630-730, as a lead in to ESPN SNF did great ratings. Their only other option would be to put it at about 10:30 PM, at the conclusion of the SNF game, and they prob just don't see it as worth their time, because they wouldn't grab the ratings. All about the money.

I do remember the first year or two after NBC got SNF, they used to run "Primetime Mini" kinds of things during Sportscenter that night, where they would throw to Berman and Tom Jackson, complete with music, longer highlight packages, etc. I have no clue if they still do that because I don't watch ESPN at all any more.

I watch NFL Network, but it is an atrocity too. With a 90 minute show that is all NFL, we should be getting 3-5 minutes at least per game, where it is usually about 90 seconds, and then 5 minutes of Michael Irvin & Deion Sanders yelling at each other or catchphrases.

Natrone "MEANS" business...rumblin,bumblin, stumblin, he...could...go..all...the...way!

Lookit that little Megget run.

Curtis "My favorite" Martin.

Say what you want about the worn out, way past time to go Chris Berman (and he is) but if you are in the 28-45 year old demographic or so, that show literally wrote the book on highlights and defined an entire list of nicknames and phrases that have stood the test of time.

Just yesterday, sitting in a bar, I heard a young girl who couldn't be more than 24 say "nobody circles the wagons like the Bufallo Bills".

Natrone "MEANS" business...rumblin,bumblin, stumblin, he...could...go..all...the...way!

Say what you want about the worn out, way past time to go Chris Berman (and he is) but if you are in the 28-45 year old demographic or so, that show literally wrote the book on highlights and defined an entire list of nicknames and phrases that have stood the test of time.

Just yesterday, sitting in a bar, I heard a young girl who couldn't be more than 24 say "nobody circles the wagons like the Bufallo Bills".
Classic stuff. The music was always money.

I miss the fastest 3 minutes with Chris Berman. Helped me get caught up with what I needed to know in 180 seconds.

I watch NFL Network, but it is an atrocity too. With a 90 minute show that is all NFL, we should be getting 3-5 minutes at least per game, where it is usually about 90 seconds, and then 5 minutes of Michael Irvin & Deion Sanders yelling at each other or catchphrases.
Deion was literally staring at his phone and texting on camera with Richard Sherman for at least two mins last night.

Agreed. I can still hear the three or four pieces of music they would recycle behind the highlight clips. They always lent gravitas to even the most forgettable games. Any idea what those songs are, or how to lay hands on them? They would make excellent ringtones for the discerning NFL fan. :thumbup:

Agreed. I can still hear the three or four pieces of music they would recycle behind the highlight clips. They always lent gravitas to even the most forgettable games. Any idea what those songs are, or how to lay hands on them? They would make excellent ringtones for the discerning NFL fan. :thumbup:
ASK the guy above with the tapes because they have to be listed in the credits - if not get the names of the people who are listed as Music Permissions or Music Licensing or just Music Editors and I can find out

ASK the guy above with the tapes because they have to be listed in the credits - if not get the names of the people who are listed as Music Permissions or Music Licensing or just Music Editors and I can find out
Or google.

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMaS2R2_JwEirvJVXzwzoqsd3DFTX7R83&desktop_uri=%2Fplaylist%3Flist%3DPLMaS2R2_JwEirvJVXzwzoqsd3DFTX7R83

Or google.

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMaS2R2_JwEirvJVXzwzoqsd3DFTX7R83&desktop_uri=%2Fplaylist%3Flist%3DPLMaS2R2_JwEirvJVXzwzoqsd3DFTX7R83
EXCELLENT WORK -THANKS :thumbup:

Now those who wanted them just have to find the ones they want to download

Thanks you for this thread and thank you for the Prime Time links (particularly the link to the Prime Time songs). Such an incredible show that was instrumental in turning me into an NFL fiend.

Good memories!

Anyone else remember "The George Michael Sports Machine"?

This was pre-ESPN mind you.

Great highlights of every game. You could get a feel for your fantasy results before the age of the Internet.

When NBC got Sunday Night Football, they signed an exclusive contract for "pre-game highlights" rights as well. Meaning ESPN, or other competing networks can't run extensive NFL-only Highlights shows until the conclusion of the SNF game.
That is a textbook example of killing the golden goose. ESPN made highlight shows an event, so the NFL decides to grant exclusive rights to produce them to another network that is nowhere near as good at making them.

Just went through all the songs. God that brings back so many awesome memories. I started watching Primetime in the mid 90's. Being an Eagles fan, I always couldn't wait for them to show up but I loved watching the highlights from the AFC Central with the Oilers, Steelers, Browns and Bengals. NFL Primetime made me a full NFL fan and not just a home town fan.

Primetime was great, but I just can't stomach Berman. He's such a blowhard. He's bad enough to the point that the Masters Tournament won't let ESPN bring him in.

What happened w/ESPN? Their weekly recaps of NFL games suck now. They used to show about 60-90 secs of highlights per game. Now, it's pared down to about 15-20 seconds. Why do they think we want to hear Dilfer and Tom Jackson dissect the games rather than see highlights on games we missed? Very disappointed.

Similar situation w/NBC recap.
Couldn't agree more. There's so few shows that show an extended amount of highlights for every single game Sunday. They might show a ton of highlights for the big games and then 3 plays from other games. Both espn and NFL network seem to think people would rather hear the opinions of former players on the game. I personally don't care and actually change the channel when they're giving their analysis. Do people actually care what these former players are saying about the games that happen?

Prime time was amazing. Best part of my week was watching those highlights on the couch with my dad. The music. The awesomely ridiculous nicknames. All of it.

Another thing I noticed highlight shows doing now is showing "low lights".They'd rather show people making asses out of themselves(Geno Smith last week), than a defense making plays on third downs or a WR making big catches to move the sticks on third down.

Users who are viewing this thread