What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I thought Seneca Wallace retired (1 Viewer)

msudaisy26

Footballguy
Just seen on Fox sports that he signed with Green Bay to be Rodgers back up. What is going on?

Last edited by a moderator:
He came out and said he didn't the other day. He also sounded a little pissed at SanFran because he felt they used him only to get McCoy to lower his price, not to actually let him try for the job. Maybe he thought that was low because he could have actually been trying out for a team that may have wanted his services.

Keep in mind this is mostly speculation on my part other than him saying he didn't technically retire, which I saw that on twitter a couple days ago.

Yeah, San Fran said that Seneca no longer wanted to play football, and his agent clarified that he actually just no longer wanted to play football for San Fran. IIRC, Wallace was mad that San Fran had him playing in the 4th preseason game along with all the other players who had no shot at making the team.

Yeah, San Fran said that Seneca no longer wanted to play football, and his agent clarified that he actually just no longer wanted to play football for San Fran. IIRC, Wallace was mad that San Fran had him playing in the 4th preseason game along with all the other players who had no shot at making the team.
That is odd to me, who else would play the 4th preseason game since the starters won't?

Now Seneca gets to pay the 49ers back by leaking all their offensive strategy to Green Bay!

You know, TT and McCarthy have always struck me as the most up-front, honest, hard-working, blue-collar guys in the business. I don't -really- think they are signing him just for 49ers information, but it makes a good storyline. They must really like what he can do as a backup. TT did draft Seneca back in 2003, so there's that.

Maybe he's a better Vince Young.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now Seneca gets to pay the 49ers back by leaking all their offensive strategy to Green Bay!

You know, TT and McCarthy have always struck me as the most up-front, honest, hard-working, blue-collar guys in the business. I don't -really- think they are signing him just for 49ers information, but it makes a good storyline. They must really like what he can do as a backup. TT did draft Seneca back in 2003, so there's that.

Since Young has been out of the league from time to time and Wallace has always seems to have a back up job. So I would think most of the NFL would think he is

msudaisy26 said:
Adam Harstad said:
That is odd to me, who else would play the 4th preseason game since the starters won't?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/31/seneca-wallace-49ers-used-me-to-get-colt-mccoy-to-take-a-pay-cut/

Apparently he felt like the 49ers were not giving him a legitimate chance to make the team, so he didn't want to risk his health in week 4 of the preseason when he knew they were going to cut him either way. Turns out to be a smart move on his part, because he was able to sit out of week 4, avoid an injury, and still land an NFL job and a guaranteed 1-year salary.

I'd buy that more if they didn't ALSO sign Tolzien, the other QB the niners waived...

I'd buy that more if they didn't ALSO sign Tolzien, the other QB the niners waived...
I'm pretty sure Wallace is a better backup than Young, Harrell or Coleman. And probably better than any other QB on the waiver wire.

Right. Tolzien was there for two years and knows the team inside and out. Wallace wouldn't have picked up anything useful in his week on the roster.

Still the Pack clearly didn't like their backup QBs which is an odd situation to be in

Right. Tolzien was there for two years and knows the team inside and out. Wallace wouldn't have picked up anything useful in his week on the roster.
Anyone have any observations on Tolzien from his time with the 9ers?

How did he end up with GB and SF going with McCoy?

Anyone have any observations on Tolzien from his time with the 9ers?

How did he end up with GB and SF going with McCoy?
Tolzien was a practice squad guy who had never played in a real game. McCoy was a high draft pick who had experience as a starter. I think San Francisco saw McCoy as a better backup to Kaepernick, and they only decided to keep 2 QBs, so Tolzien (and Wallace) were let go.

Users who are viewing this thread