What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I would love to see who represents the Browns (1 Viewer)

Chaos

Footballguy
Just my own straw hat poll to see who among us follow the Brownies. Post your affirmatives.

P.S. I just love how everyone was so smugly saying Bentely was going elsewhere as we remained hopefull that he would come home. I'm still waiting for Wood's crow eating.

A lot of people thought that Bentley would go to Philly including many established sports writers, not just Wood. And all the posts I've read from Wood were cautiously optimistic and not boastful or even definitive. Now I know better than to get my hopes up about any Eagles' offseason moves.

A lot of people thought that Bentley would go to Philly including many established sports writers, not just Wood. And all the posts I've read from Wood were cautiously optimistic and not boastful or even definitive. Now I know better than to get my hopes up about any Eagles' offseason moves.
Is he your brother or something? I'm not bashing the guy, just playing around like he was when he playfully mocked my statement about Bentley wanting to go home to Cleveland.

My dad took my bro and I to the Touchdown Club in Akron to get the B&W 8x10 glossies of players like Doug Dieken, Don Cockroft, etc...

It was fun growing up a Browns fan with the Greg Pruit rip away jerseys. I feel like it might be coming back!!

my guess is that the Borwn FO is really buying into RC and his ideas. They didnt do anything like this for Davis

my guess is that the Borwn FO is really buying into RC and his ideas. They didnt do anything like this for Davis
As a Steeler fan, I'm glad to see it. The building is beginning in the right place... UP FRONT! Along with adding an OT, Winslow will be allowed to run more routes rather than staying in to block a-la-Gonzo last year. Wonders for the running game and for Frye. Bunkley or a FA stud up front for the D and Cleveland would be much improved. Go Steelers :towelwave: , bring it on Brownies and into the gutter w/ the Ravens!

Lifelong Brownie

Team finally seems to going in the right direction. Lets hope it translates to some more wins this year. :popcorn:

I like what Savage and the FO has done so far. Now lets get some more DEF.

My dad took my bro and I to the Touchdown Club in Akron to get the B&W 8x10 glossies of players like Doug Dieken, Don Cockroft, etc...

It was fun growing up a Browns fan with the Greg Pruit rip away jerseys. I feel like it might be coming back!!
I went to a dinner with Cockroft as the main guy and speaker. He was a total jerk.I looked forward to it, but afterwards was dissapointed. :thumbup: Pruitt's tear away jersey's.

Is he your brother or something? I'm not bashing the guy, just playing around like he was when he playfully mocked my statement about Bentley wanting to go home to Cleveland.
No, just a fellow Eagles fan. I'm just upset at how this turned out. As far as Browns fans, I lived in Cleveland the last 4 years for undergrad so I've been to my fair share of Brownie games. Since Philly didn't get him, I guess I'm glad the Brownies did. This is a great step in shaping up that offense. With Braylon and Kellen (hopefully) back for next season and Reuben in the backfield behind this revamped line, I'm seeing a pretty potent offense despite QB problems. This dulls some of the loathing I feel inside me towards next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Savage and Crennell add a lot of credibility to the brownies. Savage is the GM so he's the guy who inked these studs. Crennell is a coach a lot of guys want to play for. Excellent combo.

I'm actually surprised Bentley went to Cleveland though. Not to knock Cleveland but Philly has been in the championship mix for several years now and I would have thought LeCharles would have preferred going to an established contender. The Browns are still a long ways off and two of their most important building blocks have had devastating injuries, KW2 and Braylon.

Still, the ship is finally going in the right direction. Congrats Cleveland!

I was in the locker roon with guys like Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly, Milt Moran, and Cockroft as a kid for a start. Got all there personal signed 8 by 10's and pics to prove it. Now we just need a non carodic defense for once and it may finally come true in a couple years! It will still take that offense a while to develop. But the seeds are finally planted to watch us grow into super bowl champs. Good job Browns!

SUPER BOWL CHAMPS 2008

I've followed Cleveland sports for 20 years. We've all seen really big things happen that have gotten our hopes up in the past, and, well, this ain't one of them. The current regime has proven absolutely nothing. Their first draft at this point looks as bad if not worse than anything that happened under Palmer of Davis. The only thing they've done was clear the deck and get way under the cap. And now we have a couple signings. But we need far more than what we've got at this point to feel good about anything.

I don't think Droughns is any sort of long-term answer. He hit 1000 yards but that was by running him into the ground with 309 carries. The rest of the team had 45 carries. The guy also has a chronic fumble problem that started to show up late in the year. But they act like he's some big deal.

I also don't understand why Carthon is an offensive coordinator in the NFL. The guy is terrible.

Now the defense did make some strides last year. The yardage really didn't change but they gave up far fewer rushing TDs.

Overall, the team got better on defense, actually got worse on offense, and is sort of morphing into something like the Chicago Bears. Not really a good thing, especially considering the Browns in their heydey in the 40s and 50s were led by THE offensive genius in Paul Brown.

The tradition of the Browns is winning with offense, not defense. I'd like to see them get back to that. Its as wrong to see the Browns try to win with defense as it would be to see the Bears open up their offense and try to bomb everyone all day. Its not the Browns. And no, you don't change. We kept the name, the colors, and the heritage - winning with offense is a part of that heritage.

I've followed Cleveland sports for 20 years. We've all seen really big things happen that have gotten our hopes up in the past, and, well, this ain't one of them. The current regime has proven absolutely nothing. Their first draft at this point looks as bad if not worse than anything that happened under Palmer of Davis. The only thing they've done was clear the deck and get way under the cap. And now we have a couple signings. But we need far more than what we've got at this point to feel good about anything.

I don't think Droughns is any sort of long-term answer. He hit 1000 yards but that was by running him into the ground with 309 carries. The rest of the team had 45 carries. The guy also has a chronic fumble problem that started to show up late in the year. But they act like he's some big deal.

I also don't understand why Carthon is an offensive coordinator in the NFL. The guy is terrible.

Now the defense did make some strides last year. The yardage really didn't change but they gave up far fewer rushing TDs.

Overall, the team got better on defense, actually got worse on offense, and is sort of morphing into something like the Chicago Bears. Not really a good thing, especially considering the Browns in their heydey in the 40s and 50s were led by THE offensive genius in Paul Brown.

The tradition of the Browns is winning with offense, not defense. I'd like to see them get back to that. Its as wrong to see the Browns try to win with defense as it would be to see the Bears open up their offense and try to bomb everyone all day. Its not the Browns. And no, you don't change. We kept the name, the colors, and the heritage - winning with offense is a part of that heritage.
I caught a 3 foot long bass this weekend

Bentley was a great signing, especially with a second-year QB at the helm. I do, however, think the Browns overpaid for Shaffer.

I'd hate to be a bandwagoner, but since Crennel signed and I watched how they conducted business last offseason, I've been a fan of this team.

The Teams I root for (in order):

Tampa Bay - born and raised.

N.Y. Giants - love New York City.... just a town infatuation

Cincinnati - grew to love them when they were terrible. So much unrealized talent made it easy to make a dynasty team in NFL2K series :)

Cleveland - liked them since Crennel hiring.

Arizona - been a fan since Green hiring.

Teams I just plain don't like:

Carolina - half their team was caught 'roiding. Could have cheated their way to a SB Title.

Philadelphia - used to root for them, but their front office sickens me.

Green Bay - management is dogging Favre. Yes, he's not as good as he used to be, but jeez.... the guy is still top 8 in the NFL.

Who do you guys like in round 4?

Cleveland Browns

01.12. Cleveland (MLBrandow) - Manny Lawson, OLB N.C. State

02.11. Cleveland (MLBrandow) - Claude Wroten, DT LSU

03.14. Cleveland (MLBrandow) - Babatunde Oshinowo, DT Stanford

I'm thinking Crennel wants a DB here.

edit: Took Danieal Manning, CB Abilene Christian

Last edited:
I disagree with the part about winning with offense. Yes, offense is nice, but not at the expense of defense. The nickname "dawgs" came from the good ole' days back around '85 when they had the dawg defense. Those are the days I'd like to get back to...dawg defense and two 1,000 yard rushers in the same season.

Alas, I can dream, can't I?

I disagree with the part about winning with offense. Yes, offense is nice, but not at the expense of defense. The nickname "dawgs" came from the good ole' days back around '85 when they had the dawg defense. Those are the days I'd like to get back to...dawg defense and two 1,000 yard rushers in the same season.

Those aren't the good ole days. That club never won anything.The heritage that this team fought so hard for was being a dominant team under arguably the best coach ever- Paul Brown. And the Browns were champions with offense.

Yin and yang. Steelers win with defense. We are their rivals. We win with offense.

Just take a look at our hall of famers. Almost every single one of them are on the offensive side of the ball.

Jim Brown

Dante Lavelli

Paul Brown

Mike McCormack

Joe DeLamielleure

Bobby Mitchell

Len Ford

Marion Motley

Frank Gatski

Ozzie Newsome

Otto Graham

Paul Warfield

Lou Groza

Bill Willis

Leroy Kelly

We have a GREAT history and tradition. In some ways, its a better tradition than any other NFL club. We should feel proud of this - not ignore it and only embrace some dawg pound.

Believe me, I'm a Paul Brown fan. I'm from Massillon, Ohio, home of the Massillon Tigers. Our stadium is called Paul Brown Tiger Stadium and has a huge statue of him out front.

Those were the good ole' days for me because I has just old enough to really start appreciating football. You're right that those Browns didnt go all the way, but they had some great teams. I guess its just nostalgic for me to remember that style of play. But whatever it takes to win, I'm fine with it.

Big offense is fun to watch but Big Defense is painfull for our foes to deal with.

In the end, as long as they win I don't care how they do it. As a Buckeye fan I've grown accustomed to Awsome Defense and powerfull run game so it wouldn't bother me to see Cleveland adopt the same strategy.

I disagree with the part about winning with offense.  Yes, offense is nice, but not at the expense of defense.  The nickname "dawgs" came from the good ole' days back around '85 when they had the dawg defense.  Those are the days I'd like to get back to...dawg defense and two 1,000 yard rushers in the same season.

Those aren't the good ole days. That club never won anything.The heritage that this team fought so hard for was being a dominant team under arguably the best coach ever- Paul Brown. And the Browns were champions with offense.

Yin and yang. Steelers win with defense. We are their rivals. We win with offense.

Just take a look at our hall of famers. Almost every single one of them are on the offensive side of the ball.

Jim Brown

Dante Lavelli

Paul Brown

Mike McCormack

Joe DeLamielleure

Bobby Mitchell

Len Ford

Marion Motley

Frank Gatski

Ozzie Newsome

Otto Graham

Paul Warfield

Lou Groza

Bill Willis

Leroy Kelly

We have a GREAT history and tradition. In some ways, its a better tradition than any other NFL club. We should feel proud of this - not ignore it and only embrace some dawg pound.
Good ole Lou.I remember seeing him at Faucett Stadium, Hall Of Fame Game, years ago sitting in a golf cart with a plastic cup of beer in his hand. Funny thing was, everyone was wondering where he got his beer rather than wanting an autograph. :D

Believe me, I'm a Paul Brown fan. I'm from Massillon, Ohio, home of the Massillon Tigers. Our stadium is called Paul Brown Tiger Stadium and has a huge statue of him out front.

Those were the good ole' days for me because I has just old enough to really start appreciating football. You're right that those Browns didnt go all the way, but they had some great teams. I guess its just nostalgic for me to remember that style of play. But whatever it takes to win, I'm fine with it.
Paul Brown is unquestionably an icon for Massillon football.Nice new scoreboard by the way Jedeye, although I do believe that score was alittle lopsided shown for that game! :P

Scoreboard

Depending on what happens the rest of the way in free agency and their #1 draft pick, Elvis Dumervil could be an impact player as a 2nd round pick. They are interested in him.

Long time Browns fan here. Was a "Bleacher creature" in old Municipal Stadium long before the Dawg Pound existed. Its all about management, coaching, and player selection. We finally have some management and leadership guiding our BELOVED team. I live and die with this team

ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL!!!!!

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A SAVAGE WHO HAS A SAVAGE ATTITUDE AND APPROACH!!! :thumbup:

I am extremely happy with the moves the Browns have made the last few days!! :thumbup:

By taking care of immediate needs in FA, Savage and crew have given us the opportunity to be flexible in the draft and go for the best needs or BPA. I still believe we will sign a LB/DE before the draft. But as it stands now, we should definitely look at a outside pass rush and someone to compliment Roye on the DL.

I think Edwards would be a good fit as an OLB here. Signing him today should only make things better.

:popcorn:

Born and raised a Browns fan near Mansfield and now down in Columbus.

The past few days have been exciting and I love the Bentley signing. Joe J will be very helpful in the clubhouse especially and I hope he teaches Winslow how to ride his bike.

Long time Browns fan here. Was a "Bleacher creature" in old Municipal Stadium long before the Dawg Pound existed. Its all about management, coaching, and player selection. We finally have some management and leadership guiding our BELOVED team. I live and die with this team

ALWAYS HAVE AND ALWAYS WILL!!!!!

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A SAVAGE WHO HAS A SAVAGE ATTITUDE AND APPROACH!!! :thumbup:
This is a blast from the past.4 posts on the new board? Wow!

On ol Yeller you could always count for some anger from UBF in the FFA

Love the moves so far. I also like how some of the guys have local ties.

I celebrated the signings at Bubba's BBQ

:hey:

Eastside here.

I'm enjoying the FA period. They are making some positive signings. I'll wait till it winds down to judge it overall.

As good as gone -- McGinest to visit Browns

By John Tomase

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Boston Herald

Linebacker Willie McGinest appears ready to begin life without the Patriots.

Having heard nothing from the Pats since they released him last week, McGinest will visit the Cleveland Browns today to start a process he believes will lead him out of New England.

“There are a lot of great memories from all those seasons in New England,” McGinest told ESPN.com yesterday, “but they’re called memories for a reason. I’ve still got some history to go out and make.”

McGinest may opt to make that history with the Browns, who are coached by former Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel. The two remain close.

A number of other teams are interested, with the New York Jets, Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins considered potential suitors.

The Patriots cut McGinest rather than pay him a $3.5 million roster bonus. He stood to make at least $7 million next season.

The 12-year veteran was the first draft pick of the Kraft family in 1994 out of USC. He blossomed as a leader during the last five seasons, helping the Patriots to three Super Bowl titles.

“Given what they did for me as a player and a person, I can’t be bitter, and I actually owe them a great deal, certainly,” McGinest told the Web site. “But at the end of the day, they’re the ones who put me out into free agency, right? I’ll never close the door. But since they cut me, they haven’t called at all to see how we might be able to (construct) a contract to bring me back, and I don’t see it happening. So it looks like they’re moving ahead without me. And I’m moving forward, too.”

McGinest relishes the idea of helping a new club scale heights previously reached by the Patriots, even if it means leaving New England.

“Part of what excites me, really, is the chance to maybe help a team and help other players achieve some of their goals,” McGinest said. “You name it, and I’ve pretty much been there and done that. At this point in my career, the individual (accomplishments) aren’t as important, not anymore. I’m developed. I’m primed. I’m a team guy who knows his role. If that role is with a new team, well, so be it.”
Link

GM Savage goes on the defensive

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tony Grossi

Cleveland Plain Dealer

The final days before the draft are the NFL's season of deception.

But unless he's a deft poker player, Browns General Manager Phil Savage could not conceal the team's preoccupation with linebackers and defensive linemen in the April 29 draft.

Listening to Savage and Bill Rees, director of player personnel, talk about the draft for 70 minutes, it was apparent the Browns' first pick at No. 12 overall will fit somewhere on the front seven of coach Romeo Crennel's 3-4 defense.

Those are the positions that address the pass rush and the de fense against the run - two of Savage's stated areas of need. The other is scoring points.

"The question's always asked, best available versus need?" Savage said. "I think it's really a combination of the two. It's best available for your team, and that's how we try to set up our board."

Rees said the Browns' draft board will differ from most teams because it will be very "Browns-specific, how the players fit and fill holes for us."

Because few college teams play the 3-4 defense, Savage said filling any of the front seven spots is a projection. Thus, some of the positions the Browns project for the defensive players may be different from the majority of teams.

The toughest projections - the "meat and potatoes of scouting for the 3-4," Savage said - are at outside linebacker. In the 3-4, the outside linebacker plays off the line of scrimmage on first and second down and puts his hand down and rushes the passer on third down.

In no particular order, Savage listed the following players as outside linebacker projections: Tamba Hali of Penn State, Darryl Tapp of Virginia Tech, Parys Haralson of Tennessee, Manny Lawson of North Carolina State, Kamerion Wimbley of Florida State, Rob Ninkovich of Purdue and Mike Kudla of Ohio State.

"I bet we've spent more time on those [seven] than any other [seven] names in the draft because it is a difficult thing to project," Savage said.

Savage had some surprises in his list of inside linebackers, who line up close to and on either side of the nose tackle.

The Browns project Ohio State's A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter inside. Others include Iowa's Chad Greenway and Abdul Hodge, Ernie Sims of Florida State, Kai Parham of Virginia, DeMeco Ryans of Alabama, Roger McIntosh of Miami and D'Qwell Jackson of Maryland.

"We've evaluated these guys from A to Z and feel we know this position as well as any in the entire draft," Savage said.

There are also some interesting projections on the line.

Rees listed the top nose tackles as Oregon's Haloti Ngata (who visits the team today), Baba Oshinowo from Stanford and Gabe Watson of Michigan.

The Browns classify Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley as a defensive end, along with John McCargo of North Carolina State, Cleveland native Barry Cofield of Northwestern and Rodrique Wright of Texas.

On other draft matters, Savage:

Indicated the team will meet with Texas quarterback Vince Young ostensibly to gauge his trade value and made a firm commitment to Charlie Frye as the Browns' future quarterback.

"I do anticipate to some extent that if any of the quarterbacks are there at 12, we might field a call or two," Savage said. "Because I think people look at us as a team that has a young quarterback in Charlie Frye. We have started going down the path with Charlie, and at this juncture, to put on the brakes, back out of that road and try to head down another one, may not make too much sense."

Called Hawk the draft's "safest pick," but discounted the possibility of trading up into the top five to get him.

"To make a quantum leap from 12 to four, you're basically giving up your draft," Savage said. "Plus the money is so great in those top five spots. I don't think we want to go down that path again. I think if we were to move two or three spots, that would be one thing. But to vault into the top five, I don't see us doing that at all."

Stated that efforts to trade center Jeff Faine will heat up again next week. If Faine isn't traded during the draft, Savage said the team would bring him to training camp and try to trade him then.
Link

what's this Best Player for Our Team mularkey? i thought Savage used BPA as a mantra and a way of life?

i agree wholeheartedly about not trading up into the top 5, and i have to admit the idea of trading down intrigues me (if one of the QBs fall to 12 like he said.)

he did mention they could move up a few slots, but other than Ngata, i don't see why he would do that.

btw, "New" Browns fan here.

I'm pretty sure I'll get roasted for this. I grew up in Akron watching and often suffering with the Browns. I went to a bunch of games, and they were my favorite team... until I got a great job in, of all places, Denver. I've had Broncos season tickets for 15 years now, but I still wear my Browns gear when they're in town, to the consternation of the people around me. They are my second favorite team.

:bag:

I was in the locker roon with guys like Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly, Milt Moran, and Cockroft as a kid for a start. Got all there personal signed 8 by 10's and pics to prove it. Now we just need a non carodic defense for once and it may finally come true in a couple years! It will still take that offense a while to develop. But the seeds are finally planted to watch us grow into super bowl champs. Good job Browns!

SUPER BOWL CHAMPS 2008
Great post! I find myself torn between being a Brownie and a Bengal fan! It's getting to be a tougher choice as both of these teams get better.

I was in the locker roon with guys like Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly, Milt Moran, and Cockroft as a kid for a start.  Got all there personal signed 8 by 10's and pics to prove it.  Now we just need a non carodic defense for once and it may finally come true in a couple years!  It will still take that offense a while to develop.  But the seeds are finally planted to watch us grow into super bowl champs. Good job Browns!

SUPER BOWL CHAMPS  2008
Great post! I find myself torn between being a Brownie and a Bengal fan! It's getting to be a tougher choice as both of these teams get better.
That's seriously how you decide who to root for?

I was in the locker roon with guys like Jim Brown, Paul Warfield, Leroy Kelly, Milt Moran, and Cockroft as a kid for a start.  Got all there personal signed 8 by 10's and pics to prove it.  Now we just need a non carodic defense for once and it may finally come true in a couple years!   It will still take that offense a while to develop.  But the seeds are finally planted to watch us grow into super bowl champs. Good job Browns!

SUPER BOWL CHAMPS  2008
That's seriously how you decide who to root for?
No but when one team is way better than the other there tends to be less conflict. Does that make sense? Anyway, I have alweays been a Bengls fan since I was kid. I have also rooted for the Browns. If I had to choose 1 it would be the Bengals.

Users who are viewing this thread