What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IBEROSTAR Mexican Resort serving tainted/drugged booze? (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
http://www.abc10.com/news/nation-world/tourists-to-all-inclusive-resorts-in-mexico-suspect-they-were-given-tainted-alcohol/458161945

:pocorn: 

The scene at the swim-up bar at the Mexican resort where Abbey Conner was pulled listless from the pool in January was full of young tourists last month when an attorney hired by Conner’s family showed up.

It wasn’t surprising. It was a typical scene at an all-inclusive five-star resort where foreigners from both sides of the equator flock to escape their cold winters.

But as he watched, the attorney noticed something disturbing.

“They serve alcoholic drinks with alcohol of bad quality and in great amounts, mixing different types of drinks,” he wrote in his native Spanish.

That single paragraph, buried near the end of a four-page report summarizing how 20-year-old Conner drowned within a couple hours of arriving at the Iberostar Hotel & Resorts' Paraiso del Mar, offers a possible lead in the investigation into her death.

And it could shed light on the circumstances surrounding numerous reports from others who have told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel they experienced sickness, blackouts and injuries after drinking at Iberostar and other resorts around Cancun and Playa del Carmen in recent months.

They told the Journal Sentinel they believe they were drugged or the alcohol may have been tainted. They questioned how they could fall into a stupor so quickly. And whether they had been targeted.

Was it robbery? In one case, two teenage brothers from Minnesota on vacation with their parents woke up covered in mud, with no shirts or shoes and their wallets and cellphones missing. They had gotten separated during the night. One had a severe rash all over his legs. Neither could remember what happened.

Sexual assault? One Wisconsin woman interviewed by the Journal Sentinel said she was assaulted while both she and her husband were unconscious — something supported by an exam done by her OB-GYN when she returned to Neenah. Her husband woke up with a broken hand — a “boxer’s break” that his doctor said likely resulted from hitting someone — but also no memory of what had happened.

Extortion? In at least three cases, travelers reported that local hospitals, part of the Hospiten chain, appeared to be gouging them, demanding large sums of cash. One man was told to take a cab to an ATM. The vacationers suspected Iberostar might be in cahoots with the medical company. The resort contracts with Hospiten and refers sick and injured guests to Hospiten's facilities.  Abbey Conner's family paid about $17,000 to a small medical clinic south of Playa del Carmen and within several hours paid tens of thousands more to a hospital in Cancun, north of the resort, where Abbey and her brother were transferred.

Others can find no motive for their suspected drugging.

Could it be what the attorney for the Conner family alluded to in his report: All-inclusive resorts using cheap, bootleg booze to cut costs?

A 2015 report from Mexico’s Tax Administration Service found that 43% of all the alcohol consumed in the nation is illegal, produced under unregulated circumstances resulting in potentially dangerous concoctions.

The national health authority in Mexico has seized more than 1.4 million gallons of adulterated alcohol since 2010 — not just from small local establishments, but from hotels and other entertainment areas, according to a 2017 report by the country's Federal Commission for Protection against Health Risks.

The bootleg liquor could be infused with grain alcohol or dangerous concentrations of methanol, cheaper alternatives to producing ethanol, government reports warn.

And the mixtures are capable of making people extremely sick.

The blackouts have happened to men and women, young and old, to singles and to couples, according to interviews with nearly a dozen travelers and family members whose loved ones died or were injured at the resorts, as well as hospital records, ambulance receipts, hotel correspondence and other documents.

They have happened at Iberostar’s property in Cancun and at the company's cluster of resorts 30 miles to the south in Playa del Carmen. And they've happened to guests at other all-inclusive resorts in the region, such as Secrets and the Grand Oasis.

Often the vacationers report that they drank tequila, but in other cases it was rum, beer or another alcohol.

Some said they had only a drink or two before losing consciousness and waking up hours later — with no recollection of how they got back to their rooms or to the hospital, or how they were injured.

Those interviewed said the feeling of being drugged is far different than that of being drunk. They felt certain that whatever happened to them was caused by more than drinking too heavily.

Terrifying is a word many used to describe it.

Nearly all reported that it happened within the first two days of their stay, with several opting to leave the resorts and head home before their planned departure — without receiving refunds. 

A spokeswoman for Spain-based Iberostar told the Journal Sentinel the company takes the health and safety of its guests seriously. The statement said the company's Mexican resorts book about 500,000 guests a year and that the company adheres to strict regulatory standards.

"We work with a host of providers not unique to IBEROSTAR who service other hotel chains and renowned brands," spokeswoman Yazmine Esparza said in an email. "Similarly, we only purchase sealed bottles that satisfy all standards required by the designated regulatory authorities."

It is impossible to know the scope of the problem, since many of the incidents go uninvestigated. In several cases, travelers told the Journal Sentinel that staffers at Iberostar resorts would not call the police and said the guests should take a cab to the police department if they wanted to file a report.

The U.S. Department of State tallies deaths of U.S. citizens in foreign countries, but doesn’t always have many details. The agency doesn’t track how often people are drugged or otherwise injured.

A search of the agency's data shows nearly 300 U.S. citizens have drowned in Mexico in the last decade, 39 last year alone. The database doesn't provide surrounding circumstances.

Department officials would not comment on Conner’s death other than to say they “are aware of this case,” and to extend condolences to the family.

Abbey Conner was on a family vacation with her mother, stepfather and brother in January and was found face down in the pool unconscious shortly after they arrived. She was brain dead, and a few days later was flown to Florida, where she was taken off life support.

Her older brother, Austin, nearly drowned in the pool next to her. He suffered an injury to his forehead and a severe concussion. He doesn’t remember what happened.

The last thing he recalls is that he and his sister had four or five shots of tequila, then another shot with a group of people. When he regained consciousness, he was in an ambulance. Abbey was on life support.

Abbey was later found to have a broken collar bone. It’s unclear what caused it. Experts say it’s possible it was cracked during CPR when hotel staff and a contracted doctor on site tried to resuscitate her, though such a fracture would be uncommon.

Abbey's mother and stepfather, Ginny and John McGowan of Pewaukee, and her father, Bill Conner, who lives just south of Madison, have gotten few answers about what happened and little to no cooperation from the resort, police in Mexico or authorities in the U.S.

In Mexico, they took a cab to the police station, but were discouraged from filing a report.

They said the Iberostar resort has been nothing but an obstructionist. The resort has refused to allow the bartender and other employees or guests to be interviewed.

And the U.S. state department suggested there was nothing it could do to help.

The state department’s latest notice on travel to Mexico, posted in December 2016, makes no mention of any concern for vacationers at all-inclusive resorts. Indeed, it suggests they are relatively safe.

“Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the level of drug-related violence and crime that are reported in the border region or in areas along major trafficking routes,” the notice says.

Trusted websites such as TripAdvisor, Expedia and others have strict policies limiting what is allowed to be included in online customer reviews.

So while readers might learn that a resort's seafood isn’t fresh and the beds are too hard, they won’t typically hear that guests were assaulted on the property or that they believed a bartender slipped something in their drinks.

When guests interviewed by the Journal Sentinel tried to describe what happened on those sites, they said their comments were rejected.

There is no central clearinghouse for that type of information.

It’s easy for those researching upcoming vacations to get a false sense of security, said Maureen Webster, who launched the site Mexicovacationawareness.com nearly 10 years ago, after her 22-year-old son, Nolan, drowned in the pool at a Mexican resort.

“Every time, every single time, something bad happens, they (Mexican resorts and authorities) blame the victim,” Webster said. “They say ‘They were drunk, they were drunk, they were drunk, they were drunk.’ Every single time.

“Shame on the (U.S.) government for not making this an issue,” she said. “It’s a big problem.”

In her son's case,Webster gathered statements from more than a dozen witnesses who were around the pool at the Grand Oasis in Cancun who said her son was not drunk. A Canadian nurse who was at the pool and came to his aide signed a statement saying resort officials forbid him from performing CPR on her son. Nolan was breathing at the time and hotel staff did nothing but watch him die, the nurse wrote.

Webster, who lives outside of Boston, sued the resort and later reached a settlement.

Karen Smith,a long-time resident of New Jersey who now lives in Florida, has known Maureen Webster since 2013. That was the year Smith’s adult son, Brian Manucci, drowned in the same Grand Oasis pool where Nolan Webster died.

“There’s no accountability,” said Smith. “Even if it’s over-serving, they promote this risky behavior, but have no means to handle it when it occurs.

“It’s just so mind boggling that something like this could occur, and it’s just like ‘Oh well.’”

Kathy and Jeff Daley and their neighbors in Cedar Rapids, Iowa,took their teenage children to the Iberostar Cancun in March 2016 for a little spring getaway. They were all in the pool around the swim-up bar.

The group had a round of tequila shots, the first drink of the day for Kathy.

She had been careful to stick with water throughout the day to stay hydrated. She didn’t care much for the shot, so when everyone else had another, she declined. The bartender offered her something else. Something special, he said. It was a mixed drink of some kind — she wasn’t sure what. She took a few sips.

She lost consciousness. The next thing she remembers is being in the hospital. Vomiting and disoriented.

Doctors declared Kathy, 53, to be very intoxicated and dehydrated.

Hospital workers told Jeff they needed to collect $2,000 cash for her visit. When he said he didn’t carry that kind of money, they said they would take a taxi with him to an ATM.

It was around 8 or 9 p.m. and Jeff refused to go out with a stranger at night to get cash. He insisted they accept his credit card if they wanted immediate payment.

Jeff, an advanced emergency medical technician, said the way the resort and hospital handled his wife's care could have killed her. He said the hotel doctor resisted calling an ambulance and charged them $139 before he would let them leave in the ambulance. The defibrillator in the ambulance had no battery and nobody seemed to know how to get oxygen hooked up.

Medical records from Hospiten Cancun show Kathy’s blood alcohol level was .02, well below the .08 considered by many states in the U.S. to be legally impaired.

Hospital workers later reported to the Daley's travel insurance company that aside from being inebriated, they found drugs in her system — though the records they provided to the Daleys show drug tests were “in progress,” and don’t include any results.

Kathy Daley said she takes two low-dose prescription medications that she’s taken for years and has never had a reaction from having a drink or two. Those would be the only drugs that should be in her system, she told them.

Credit card receipts show the hospital charged the Daleys $1,256. That didn’t include the ambulance.

When Kathy tried to post a review on TripAdvisor warning travelers about what happened, a TripAdvisor representative told her in an email that it didn't meet the guidelines. Daley's review did not contain profanity. It included a couple sentences that recounted what a bartender said to her daughter as well as what her husband and friends did when they saw her struggling.

TripAdvisor labeled it hearsay.

"If you'd be willing to edit and resubmit your review, we'd really appreciate it,"  the email from TripAdvisor stated.

Tara Lieberman, a TripAdvisor spokeswoman, told the Journal Sentinel the company has guidelines stating that  "every review must be unbiased, family friendly, based on a first-hand experience, and relevant to other travelers."

She said about 390 million travelers consult the website and mobile app every month when scoping out travel plans.

In February, Nancy Mahowald Nelson and her family traveled from Bayport, Minn., to the Iberostar Cozumel resort, on an island east of Playa del Carmen.

It was Super Bowl Sunday and Nelson, 57, and her husband were watching their young grandchildren by the pool that morning. Her son and daughter-in-law took over and Nancy and her husband went to the swim-up bar. It was just after lunch. Two drinks. That was it.

She woke a few hours later to see blood on her bed sheets and her husband standing nearby. When she asked what had happened, he told her she had been very drunk and had fallen and scraped her knee. He and another man had to help walk her back to the room.

"I really thought 'Gosh, I’ve got a problem,'" she said. "I internalized it. I thought, 'Wow, what is wrong with me?' I was just more embarrassed, hoping my son and daughter-in-law didn't see me in that condition. I'm there looking after the kids. What the heck?

"It was really weird."

Rick and Diana Neuenschwander spent their Fourth of July at Secrets Akumal resort just south of Playa del Carmen a few weeks ago. The Cincinnati couple, both in their mid-50s, were happy to have some quiet time, since both were gearing up for new jobs.

They put some floaties in the pool and spent the afternoon sipping margaritas. Around 4 p.m. or so, Rick ordered another round. He remembers how he and Diana commented that each of the drinks were different colors. They both tasted each one.

Four hours later, they woke up in their room and found hotel staff in the room with them. No recollection of how they got there. No idea what went on during that time.

The Neuenschwanders didn’t think they were robbed or assaulted — though they weren’t certain about the latter.

Rick had some scrapes on his head and nose that he didn’t know where they came from. Diana had faint bruises on her shoulders and felt like at some point she had been held down, he said.

They left the resort the next day.

“Yes, we had been drinking at the pool, but the fact that we both blacked out at the same time and woke up at about the same time, that’s pretty crazy,"Neuenschwander said. "You don’t do that, that doesn’t happen.”

He feels certain they were drugged.

“Can you go to Las Vegas and experience this same thing?" he said. "Yes, but it seems to me it’s a big cover-up, it’s swept under the rug.”

Representatives of Secrets could not be reached for comment.

Jamie Valeri remembers trying to scream. But no sound came out of her mouth — as far as she knows.

Valeri and her husband of 13 years were not conscious. They were in their hotel room at Iberostar's Paraiso Maya, in the same array of resorts where Abbey and Austin Conner would wind up in a pool two years later.

Rick Valeri talks about how he believes he and his wife were drugged on vacation in Mexico

It was 2015 and the Valeris were there to celebrate their wedding anniversary. Over the course of a couple hours, they had a few drinks on the beach — three each, to be exact.

Then they blacked out.

Jamie Valeri recalls vomiting and being on a cold tile floor. And she remembers being sexually assaulted. She couldn't see or hear anything. But she could feel what was happening. She was in pain and wanted to fight, but her body was paralyzed.

"I thought I was dying," she said. "I couldn't get out of whatever state of mind I was in ... I remember thinking, 'How are my six kids going to find out and what's going to happen to them?'"

Jamie Valeri talks about being drugged and assaulted while on vacation with her husband in Mexico in 2015

Rick doesn't recall anything. All he knows for certain is that his hand was broken when he woke up. Not from a fall, but from hitting something, or more likely — according to his doctor — someone.

When the Wisconsin couple reported to resort officials they believed they had been drugged, they were told they would have to go to the police department themselves if they wanted to file a complaint. 

Hotel staffers encouraged them to go the hospital and to take cash.

Jamie was afraid to do either. They stayed in their room until it was time to leave two days later.

“If that could happen to us inside a resort that we paid to be at, I could only imagine what could have happened to us outside,” Jamie said. “I was terrified.”

Both were seen by doctors when they returned to Neenah. Medical and other records support their story.

“Never in my wildest dreams did I think that in my 30s, and my husband in his 40s — he’s 6’3”, 220 pounds — we would be sitting at a five-star resort, that there was ever a possibility not only that we could be drugged, but that any harm could come to me.

"How could that happen?”

Last edited by a moderator:
Like someone else pointed out in the Cancun thread, it's odd that of the thousands and thousands of people that are at the Iberostar, just a couple people were impacted. Also, the basis for the tainted booze is the opinion of the lawyer representing the family. The people are questioning how a college kid could have gotten into such a stupor and the married couple is wondering how they could have woken up with no memory of the night before. Is it possible they just drank too much?

Yeah I saw this yesterday and it freaked me out. Now think its fake news or click bait. 

Not buying it. 

A 2015 report from Mexico’s Tax Administration Service found that 43% of all the alcohol consumed in the nation is illegal, produced under unregulated circumstances resulting in potentially dangerous concoctions.
This is pretty frightening.

What some of fhese folks are describing sounds like GHB poisoning. 

I get that in many cases it's likely overconsumption. But what about the woman with a .02 BAC who's unconscious and vomiting after one drink? 

I'm an experienced drinker... I've been drugged before. It's a very...very different feeling. 

But what does that have to do with the resort?
Nothing. I highly doubt they're instructing employees to do horrible things to their guests. When you have that many people working for one company though, there will undoubtedly be some creeps. That stat alone would have me a bit leery of drinking any booze anywhere there. I'll just stick to crappy beer and dirt-weed, thx.

Where the resort could be to blame is if they are cutting costs by knowingly buying unregulated cheap black market booze, which has some really bad batches that result in some of the incidents in the article.

Where the resort could be to blame is if they are cutting costs by knowingly buying unregulated cheap black market booze, which has some really bad batches that result in some of the incidents in the article.
But this is the issue with journalism these days. They put two unrelated dots in an article and expect the reader to connect them, when in fact there is zero evidence that you could do so. 

Like someone else pointed out in the Cancun thread, it's odd that of the thousands and thousands of people that are at the Iberostar, just a couple people were impacted. Also, the basis for the tainted booze is the opinion of the lawyer representing the family. The people are questioning how a college kid could have gotten into such a stupor and the married couple is wondering how they could have woken up with no memory of the night before. Is it possible they just drank too much?
The weirdest part about it was that this happened in the middle of the day at a pool out in the open. So a girl comes to the swim up bar gets hammered and passes out and at the same exact time her brother also gets injured so he cant notice her face down either? And no employees were able to react quick enough? 

I dont think they were drugged, but i would bet that booze was at least partially bootlegged. These were college kids from wisco within hours of being there. They were doing shots, not drinking banana sexys. So it would hit them faster.

My daughter senior trip 80 people from our area went to the Barceló near Playa.  The pool bar had probably 500 18-20 year kids drinking from whenever they got up until they passed out.  Never seen so many kids in a drunken zombie like state walking around throwing up.  It had more to do with quantity than quality as they never cut anyone off.

I get that in many cases it's likely overconsumption. But what about the woman with a .02 BAC who's unconscious and vomiting after one drink? 

I'm an experienced drinker... I've been drugged before. It's a very...very different feeling. 
:cough:

this is pretty big news in Wisconsin 

sounds like a fairly regular occurrence. where there's smoke there's fire. just because many many thousands of people visit each year and only a "few" have reported anything doesn't mean it hasn't happened to many more people who just chalked it up to partying too hard/jet lag.

shame of it is that the people it has happened to (per this news story) haven't gone so far as to contact the US consulate. probably because it seems to largely be happening to college kids. easy to chalk it up to too much X and booze, or whatever.

way back i read a book about Richard Kuklinski, who later became a sort of erstwhile mob hitman. he was really just a sociopathic serial killer that the mob paid occasionally. he talked about cruising the west side in NYC, in the 70s, practicing murdering people. the west side of NYC being a wasteland at the time, the people who lived there weren't really part of the social structure, didn't have connections to the social safety net and weren't really missed by anyone.

he knew his audience, knew the environment and knew that no one was likely to report what was happening as the police (if they cared) would write off the missing as drifters who moved on, etc.

sounds like whomever is drugging these people is playing the odds that college kids won't know where to go for help, if they do they'll be met by indifference (stupid kids can't handle their booze) and nothing will be done.

it's free money

I've stayed at the Paraiso Del Mar.  Consumed at least two drinks an hour every waking hour for 6 days straight and never got noticeably drunk.  My experience may be atypical. 

I've stayed at the Paraiso Del Mar.  Consumed at least two drinks an hour every waking hour for 6 days straight and never got noticeably drunk.  My experience may be atypical. 
I am similar...can drink all day at those resorts and never get drunk.  I have always chalked it up to watered down/low end alcohol.  

How difficult would it be for a few local employees to be in cahoots with the local hospital/medical facility?  I would think it would be easy for them to make a few dollars on the side by sending a few "customers" their way.  Plenty of easy targets.    :tinfoilhat:

I am similar...can drink all day at those resorts and never get drunk.  I have always chalked it up to watered down/low end alcohol.  

How difficult would it be for a few local employees to be in cahoots with the local hospital/medical facility?  I would think it would be easy for them to make a few dollars on the side by sending a few "customers" their way.  Plenty of easy targets.    :tinfoilhat:
from everything i've learned by watching The Bridge, sounds like Mexico might be the kind of place where the police could be convinced to look the other way for a few bucks here and there

worth it

My daughter senior trip 80 people from our area went to the Barceló near Playa.  The pool bar had probably 500 18-20 year kids drinking from whenever they got up until they passed out.  Never seen so many kids in a drunken zombie like state walking around throwing up.  It had more to do with quantity than quality as they never cut anyone off.
Nice 

:popcorn:  do tell.  

I stayed at an Iberostar resort on the West Coast of Mexico (Playa Mita) last year and I will say that the resort used notably crappier liquor than the higher end all-inclusives I have stayed at in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area.

I would not be shocked if somebody at the resorts was buying black market liquors to control costs. I also would not be totally shocked if a few employees were trying to run some kind of scam.

It would be more surprising to me, but not out of the realm of possibility, if the resort chain was knowingly buying potentially dangerous booze as a general policy. And I also simply don't believe that there is some grand conspiracy through many levels of the organization to systematically sicken guests in order to rob them or get kick-backs from the local medical providers.

:popcorn:  do tell.  
Was at a club downtown Memphis one night many moons ago with a group of about 5 or 6 attractive ladies. A group of African American gentlemen started gathering around our table trying to hit on the women and they were having none of it. I asked the guy nearest me to give us some space. They backed off a bit but kept standing nearby. A few of us headed over to the dancefloor for a bit, leaving drinks at the table (there were still a few girls at the table but they were chatting. 

Came back after 15-20 mins and the guys were still nearby eye-balling the table and chatting. I thought nothing of it. Drank and talked. Whatever was in my drink started to take hold pretty quickly. After a bit I stood up and went off to the bathroom to compose myself. Within minute or two in there, I could barely stand.

As you know, I'm not a small guy, nor an inexperienced drinker. Went back to the table and the guys were back harassing the girls. I made my way to the table, struggling a bit at this point and told the girls to drop the drinks and we're GFTO. Guys were trying to buy time and started getting a bit more aggressively running interference but we made it out. Explained to the girls what was up and we jumped in cars and headed back to the house. 

Thankfully I didn't go fully under and/or need hospitalization.. likely a combination of a strong constitution and not enough of a dose.... but I don't remember much of the rest of that night, felt like dog#### the next and really struggled to do anything. Sounds like a hangover but it was a different level (and I didn't even really drink much the night before... it was still kinda early when we bailed). Without a doubt I'm confident the guys drugged me to get me out of the picture. 

Roofied by either an employee or another patron.  
Agreed: Employee. 

I agree with those saying this is NOT some huge conspiracy by the resort themselves. Makes zero sense given the dollars at play. I DO think there is a contingent within the staff drugging people to rob/assault them, or extort cash through emergency services that demand CC or cash for payment. 

Was at a club downtown Memphis one night many moons ago with a group of about 5 or 6 attractive ladies. A group of African American gentlemen started gathering around our table trying to hit on the women and they were having none of it. I asked the guy nearest me to give us some space. They backed off a bit but kept standing nearby. A few of us headed over to the dancefloor for a bit, leaving drinks at the table (there were still a few girls at the table but they were chatting. 

Came back after 15-20 mins and the guys were still nearby eye-balling the table and chatting. I thought nothing of it. Drank and talked. Whatever was in my drink started to take hold pretty quickly. Went off to the bathroom and within minute or two I could barely stand. As you know, I'm not a small guy, nor an inexperienced drinker. Went back to the table and the guys were back harassing the girls. I made my way to the table, struggling a bit at this point and told the girls to drop the drinks and we're GFTO. Guys were trying to buy time and running interference but we made it out. Explained to the girls what was up and we jumped in cars and headed back to the house. 

Thankfully I didn't go fully under and/or need hospitalization.. likely a combination of a strong constitution and not enough of a dose.... but I felt like dog#### the next and really struggled to do anything. Sounds like a hangover but it was a different level (and I didn't even really drink much the night before... it was still kinda early when we bailed). Without a doubt I'm confident the guys drugged me to get me out of the picture. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7lR3YDzKCA

Jesus. I'll gladly pay a bit more to go to resorts in Florida or USVI. One of the only reasonsany even consider Mexican vacations is for the safety of the resort areas. Now even that is being eroded.

there's always 2 sides to a story and then the truth somewhere in between.  "our 20 yr old slamming shots at the bar is such a good kid........!"

it's hard to believe people can get so drunk that they fall off of cruise ships, yet that is an occurrence too.  didn't the conner chick have a BAC of .23?

Yup, this. 

People are just going overboard with the drinking.

Jobber said:
Jesus. I'll gladly pay a bit more to go to resorts in Florida or USVI. One of the only reasonsany even consider Mexican vacations is for the safety of the resort areas. Now even that is being eroded.
That's more than a bit alarmist.

And the USVI are getting pretty dangerous, at least if you are talking about St. Thomas.

there's always 2 sides to a story and then the truth somewhere in between.  "our 20 yr old slamming shots at the bar is such a good kid........!"

it's hard to believe people can get so drunk that they fall off of cruise ships, yet that is an occurrence too.  didn't the conner chick have a BAC of .23?

Yup, this. 

People are just going overboard with the drinking.
:D

what's going on at st Thomas?
The USVI has a lot of crime and a lot of violent crime. This is particularly true of St. Thomas and especially true of Charlotte Amalie. A couple years ago the overall murder rate in the USVI was roughly on par with Detroit or New Orleans. 

The violent crime rate there isn't close to as bad as the bad parts of Mexico, but it isn't good. And cruise ships that visit St. Thomas all go to Charlotte Amalie. The airport is a little outside Charlotte Amalie, but it is close by.

Whether true or not, Mexico blows. 

Been three times. Rather be in Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Costa Rica, etc.  Plenty of countries where the locals take extreme care to take care of tourists. Unlike Mexico.

People act like Mexico is the only cheap vacation. Geez, do some interneting. Plenty of places with inexpensive vacations available.  Ones without cops looking to shake you down, and without drug cartel wars.

Been three times. Rather be in Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Costa Rica, etc.  Plenty of countries where the locals take extreme care to take care of tourists. Unlike Mexico.

People act like Mexico is the only cheap vacation. Geez, do some interneting. Plenty of places with inexpensive vacations available.  Ones without cops looking to shake you down, and without drug cartel wars.
To each his own.

I've been to Mexico many times and have had nothing but great experiences.

Seems unlikely that someone from WI can't hold their liquor.  Maybe transplants.

To each his own.

I've been to Mexico many times and have had nothing but great experiences.
I've had nothing but good experiences there myself. Including buying drugs from a guy in front of Seńor Frog's, that turned out to be excellent.  Doesn't mean it was a smart move.

If people are going to fly in, take a shuttle to an all inclusive, and take a shuttle back to the airport, it really doesn't matter what country it is, right?

May as well go for a safer country.

If people are going to fly in, take a shuttle to an all inclusive, and take a shuttle back to the airport, it really doesn't matter what country it is, right?

May as well go for a safer country.
We never just go to an all-inclusive and stay there for the duration. We always rent a car and go do stuff.

Certainly it makes sense to use some care and common sense and to only visit areas of the country that are more safe and secure. I wouldn't go to Acapulco, for instance, nor would I go driving around the northern states or Sinaloa.

Cancun is the cheapest and easiest. Never had any issues nor did i even see anything that could be considered an issue. 

I dont go to clubs and i dont buy drugs. I also would never do 5 shots of tequila in one hour in the US let alone in mexico.

Rather be in Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Costa Rica, etc.  Plenty of countries where the locals take extreme care to take care of tourists. Unlike Mexico.
Been to all of these (and Riviera Maya and many others). My scariest traveling experiences have come in CR and DR, but I would still return to both without hesitation. 

Users who are viewing this thread