What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iceland w 24hrs in London (twice) > Input Welcome! (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
GF and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary this spring and she's been dying to see the northern lights.... so we're off to Iceland.

The way the flights work out, we've got an overnight stay in London on the way out and back, and want to make the most of that too.

Very much would love suggestions/tips for both destinations.

Current agenda:

Thurs 2/23: Fly memphis > London (red eye) 👎🏼

Friday 2/24:
Land in London @ 10am
(Tips on neighborhood for hotel/AirBNB?)

Saturday 2/25:
Depart for Reykjavik at 7am 👀 ....spend night in Downtown (AirBNB to be booked)

Sunday 2/26 - Thursday 3/2:
rent car and drive to Hotel Ranga as a "resort" built around seeing the northern lights (remote, wake up calls, nice dining, nice bar, hot tubs, day excursions).

Planning a snowmobile glacier run one day. There are some old ice caves too. I've HEARD the main roads in the south aren't bad even in Feb/March?

Thursday Night 3/2 - Sat 3/4:
Stay in downtown Rejkyavik. Exploring.

Sat 3/4: Land in London at 2:50pm
(Where to stay, what to do?)

Sun 3/5:
Fly out from London around 1:30pm.

Welcome any and all suggestions!

Would suggest spending a few hours at Sky Lagoon while in Reykjavik. Make an appointment for first thing in the morning (they open at 10 or 11a) or late in the day to avoid the crowds. Pay a little extra for the 7-step ritual (Pure Package). The Sky Package just includes private changing facilities. The "Public" ones were just fine.

Blue Lagoon is the more touristy location but I liked Sky Lagoon so much, I went there two days in a row. Of the people that I spoke to that went to both, most preferred Sky Lagoon.

If you have a car, I highly recommend the Golden Circle Tour. It will take you 6-7 hours total, depending on how often you stop and for how long. I was there a couple of months ago and would highly recommend it.

Drive to Thingvellir National Park
Lunch at Greenhouses of Frioheimar
Drive to Geysir Thermal Area (we drove by but didn't stop)
Drive to Gullfoss Falls

The first night in London is problematic because you'll be tired and you'll have to get up early the next day to make your flight. Assuming you're flying into Heathrow, I'd go for a hotel near the airport with maybe a trip to Windsor Castle if you're up to it. Find a restaurant, have a nice dinner and try to get your body adjusted.

You'll have a little more time in London on the other end of the trip but not much. It'll be near dark once you land, get your bags and clear customs. I'd go for a place near the West End, grab dinner and a show (or a show then dinner depending on the timing). You'll have a few hours to sight see the next morning.

I went around the same time but didn't see the Northern Lights. Sounds like a great experience. Weather was tamer than I expected and not nearly as cold as somewhere like Norway. I'd look for hotels central so you can just walk around the town (Hotel 101 is a good choice but can get pricey). Some good info posted in a previous thread:

Iceland is on our bucket list also. FWIW - we had an overnight connection in London a few years ago and ended up hiring a private driver to drive us "down town". We stopped at several sites including Piccadilly Circus, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. Would drop us off and allow us to walk around and take some pics. We were going to take the train but the hotel arranged for the driver, but I'm sure you can find them.

The first night in London is problematic because you'll be tired and you'll have to get up early the next day to make your flight. Assuming you're flying into Heathrow, I'd go for a hotel near the airport with maybe a trip to Windsor Castle if you're up to it. Find a restaurant, have a nice dinner and try to get your body adjusted.

You'll have a little more time in London on the other end of the trip but not much. It'll be near dark once you land, get your bags and clear customs. I'd go for a place near the West End, grab dinner and a show (or a show then dinner depending on the timing). You'll have a few hours to sight see the next morning.
I think this is pretty good advice about the London portion. Stay at a hotel out near the airport, weather permitting and if you like walking, take a cab into town get dropped off near Buckingham Palace walk over to Big Ben / Parliament / Westminster Abbey. Then walk the Thames (I like the south side) up to Tower of London then head into Shoreditch to hit pub or restaurant for dinner. Then head back to hotel.

You could do this either leg of London trip.

Never been to Iceland but sure that will be sweet.

Enjoy!

Not 100% sure on this, but I've heard that there's a much better chance of seeing the northern lights on the north side of the island. Less 'other' touristy stuff up there, though. Definitely need a place away from cities and other light pollution as much as possible. I think you're near the end of "Northern Lights" season.

Golden Circle should definitely be on your list - not too far from Rejkyavik, and all three sites are amazing.
Glacier Bay is a bit of a drive from your area, but really worth visiting.
Would definitely recommend a glacier activity - we hiked, but a snowmobile would be cool, too, for sure.
We also enjoyed our tour of the interior of the island. Lots of cool stuff to see. You have to take a tour, as they don't let rental cars drive there.
Blue Lagoon was by far my least favorite part of the trip, but my wife liked it. Hot springs just aren't my thing, I guess.

Stay at one of the hotels near Heathrow and get a car to take you to Windsor. We spent the day touring the Castle and walking around the town. It was one of our favorite days in England. The other day you can take the tube into London and pick 1 or 2 things you would like to see. A lot of the attractions have timed tickets to help you plan. Or you could spend the day pub hopping.

Stay at one of the hotels near Heathrow and get a car to take you to Windsor. We spent the day touring the Castle and walking around the town. It was one of our favorite days in England. The other day you can take the tube into London and pick 1 or 2 things you would like to see. A lot of the attractions have timed tickets to help you plan. Or you could spend the day pub hopping.
Just got back from London a couple weeks ago. Traffic is awful and may be slower than taking the underground. I'd say drop the bags at an airport hotel and jump on the Picadilly Line. Get off at Green Park and hit Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, etc. Or jump on the District Line and get off at St. James Park (more central, but more confusing to change lines). If time and interest the Churchill War Rooms are right there (I thought they were great).

Second time do the Tower of London, the Globe for a play (or a tour, which is what we did, though I'd have loved to have time for a play), then dinner, and back to the airport hotel.

Icon, time is at a premium. I'd order your Oyster Card now. BTW, I went a week with no cash at all, so that isn't really a worry.

Not sure if you wanted to invest the time into a tour or museum but some mentioned up thread I would def second are the Churchill War Rooms or the London Tower Tour (buy ticket to get in then find one of the Beefeaters that do a guided tour and follow them - very funny and they are natural comedians / bad asses).

Just got back from London a couple weeks ago. Traffic is awful and may be slower than taking the underground. I'd say drop the bags at an airport hotel and jump on the Picadilly Line. Get off at Green Park and hit Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, etc. Or jump on the District Line and get off at St. James Park (more central, but more confusing to change lines). If time and interest the Churchill War Rooms are right there (I thought they were great).

Second time do the Tower of London, the Globe for a play (or a tour, which is what we did, though I'd have loved to have time for a play), then dinner, and back to the airport hotel.

Icon, time is at a premium. I'd order your Oyster Card now. BTW, I went a week with no cash at all, so that isn't really a worry.

I was in London recently (Giants vs Packers) and traffic was awful from Heathrow. Took two hours to drive downtown. I highly agree with idea of hotel near Heathrow and also near picadily line so you can take the tube in on the first day.

Also, if you can swing it I would try and fly business class there and economy back. You will get some sleep if you splurge. I can never sleep in those seats in coach but nothing better than lie flat seat on a red eye. Makes that first day doable otherwise you will likely be exhausted.

Lastly, definitely do the golden circle tour in Iceland. It was awesome and we did it through a tour in off road Jeeps and we were able to do some off road driving. I would definitely also do a Lagoon visit. I did Blue Lagoon and Secret Lagoon. Both were great but very different experiences as Secret Lagoon was a small local place and Blue Lagoon much larger and touristy. Benefit of Blue Lagoon is right near airport so can easily add on when arriving or leaving.

ETA - another idea for traveling into London is train to Paddington station which runs express from Heathrow every 15 minutes.

Last edited:

I was in London recently (Giants vs Packers)
I was there for Saints Vikings and stayed long enough to see the folks from this game the next weekend. I can say one things definitively - Saints fans and Packers fans travel incredibly well. I saw very few Vikings fans and hardly a blue shirt anywhere that second weekend.

I was in London recently (Giants vs Packers)
I was there for Saints Vikings and stayed long enough to see the folks from this game the next weekend. I can say one things definitively - Saints fans and Packers fans travel incredibly well. I saw very few Vikings fans and hardly a blue shirt anywhere that second weekend.

Yeah there were so many Packers around town. The game was a little less lopsided but still more Packer fans. Think there was a bit of Giants fans (like me) just wearing Giants gear to the game and not walking aound London in a jersey. Of course, after the game at the pubs it seemed like most of the Packer fans disappeared.

ETA - another idea for traveling into London is train to Paddington station which runs express from Heathrow every 15 minutes.
You can look at the total round trip time, but adding that Paddington stop evens out the time advantage. OP should look at both, but as a note we did the regular subway and it was just fine. It is very simple to just get on the Picadilly line and get off at Buckingham Palace, which is nice if he's never been there and figured out the system.

Last edited:

You can look at the total round trip time, but adding that Paddington stop evens out the time advantage. OP should look at both, but as a note we did the regular subway and it was just fine. It is very simple to just get on the Picadilly line and get off at Buckingham Palace, which is nice if he's never been there and figure out the system.

Agree, think it just depends where they do their hotel in London.

Also, if you can swing it I would try and fly business class there and economy back
I would do the opposite.

Flying to London on the redeye, first this is the correct move--if you sleep on the plane. To avoid jet lag (Europe) the common wisdom is sleep there, and stay awake on the way back.

Figure out your recipe for sleeping on a plane. Mine is two glasses of red wine, add one muscle relaxer, and audio documentary on the headset. Nighty night! Wake up in London. Shower at the hotel and double espresso, you should feel perfectly normal. Flying to London on the redeye is the only way to go.

So I never have a problem with the flight TO London, but the flight back, during the day, hour or so longer because you fighting the jet stream, much less fun.

Anyway,I cannot speak to the various attractions listed above, the only one I did was Tower of London, which was cool.

If you have just one day in London, I would hit Mayfair, that area. Very walkable, you can do Soho, Chinatown, Carnaby St, Oxford St., Selfridges.

Bars and restaurants (I have no pub recommendations, they are all the same, and the bathroom is filthy in all of them):

Restaurants:
My #1 is Chotto Mate, Japanese Peruvian. Prices are not crazy, they used to do a little tastings menu where the server chooses food to send out. Definitely do this. It's in Soho.

Sexy Fish
Chiltern Firehouse--both super posh. Splurge joints, although I recommend hitting Chiltern for lunch.
If you hit Selfridges, it's worth it to hit the rooftop restaurant for a drink or a bite, cool little place.
Hush Mayfair: it has a courtyard, so if weather is nice, worth a reservation. It's down a tiny little cobbled alley, walking to this place is half the fun.
If you have a style of food preferred, I can recommend more.

Bars:
Mr. Foggs-may have to make reservations
Experimental Cocktail Club-Chinatown
Opium Cocktail Bar (also Dim Sum)
Disrepute-Carnaby St cocktail bar
Basement Safe-they only do dessert and cocktails. This place after Chotto Mate for dinner would be awesome.

So I never have a problem with the flight TO London, but the flight back, during the day, hour or so longer because you fighting the jet stream, much less fun.
Maybe I'm just weird, but I'm the opposite. The way there with little, poor sleep, waking up, and a looooong day is tough. The way back is just a long 20+ hour day, which isn't a huge deal.

TfL as a minimum takes contactless cards, and probably Apple/Google Pay at this stage. I know a lot of US banks are a bit slow on the uptake of things like chip/pin, contactless etc that we take for granted over here, but I would have thought that the OP would have a mobile alternative (barring any weird SIM/roaming issues with his US carrier). Oyster was amazing back when it was introduced, but is close to obsolete now

TfL as a minimum takes contactless cards, and probably Apple/Google Pay at this stage. I know a lot of US banks are a bit slow on the uptake of things like chip/pin, contactless etc that we take for granted over here, but I would have thought that the OP would have a mobile alternative (barring any weird SIM/roaming issues with his US carrier). Oyster was amazing back when it was introduced, but is close to obsolete now
I never figured this out when we were there. We bought Oyster cards there and it took a bit to figure out all in itself.

Last edited:
Also, if you can swing it I would try and fly business class there and economy back
I would do the opposite.

Flying to London on the redeye, first this is the correct move--if you sleep on the plane. To avoid jet lag (Europe) the common wisdom is sleep there, and stay awake on the way back.

Figure out your recipe for sleeping on a plane. Mine is two glasses of red wine, add one muscle relaxer, and audio documentary on the headset. Nighty night! Wake up in London. Shower at the hotel and double espresso, you should feel perfectly normal. Flying to London on the redeye is the only way to go.

Anyway,I cannot speak to the various attractions listed above, the only one I did was Tower of London, which was cool.

If you have just one day in London, I would hit Mayfair, that area. Very walkable, you can do Soho, Chinatown, Carnaby St, Oxford St., Selfridges.

Bars and restaurants (I have no pub recommendations, they are all the same, and the bathroom is filthy in all of them):

Restaurants:
My #1 is Chotto Mate, Japanese Peruvian. Prices are not crazy, they used to do a little tastings menu where the server chooses food to send out. Definitely do this. It's in Soho.

Sexy Fish
Chiltern Firehouse--both super posh. Splurge joints, although I recommend hitting Chiltern for lunch.
If you hit Selfridges, it's worth it to hit the rooftop restaurant for a drink or a bite, cool little place.
Hush Mayfair: it has a courtyard, so if weather is nice, worth a reservation. It's down a tiny little cobbled alley, walking to this place is half the fun.

Bars:
Basement Safe-they only do dessert and cocktails. This place after Chotto Mate for dinner would be awesome.

This is entirely backward. Business class there is the way to go. Go get two free Manhattan's in the lounge and free dinner. Grab your free glass of champagne for take off and then pass out for 5 or 6 hours in a nice comfy bed. Wake up and then land. Then once through customs go to the landing side lounge to get a free breakfast and take a shower. At that point, you are ready to go for a full day in London.

The way back who cares where you sit and just watch a bunch of movies.

This is entirely backward
I can sleep in economy fine, window seat for the win, plus I'm all drugged up. on the way home I would be awake, and acutely aware that I was cramped in economy. But if someone cannot sleep in those terrible seats, I agree with you.

I would do the opposite.

Restaurants:

Sexy Fish

Bars:

This is entirely backward. Business class there is the way to go. Go get two free Manhattan's in the lounge and free dinner. Grab your free glass of champagne for take off and then pass out for 5 or 6 hours in a nice comfy bed. Wake up and then land. Then once through customs go to the landing side lounge to get a free breakfast and take a shower. At that point, you are ready to go for a full day in London.

The way back who cares where you sit and just watch a bunch of movies.

This is where I'm at as well. Pamper yourself on the way there. You're on vacation, enjoy yourself in comfort. Deal with the minor inconveniences when you're heading back.

AWESOME FEEDBACK ALL ... THANK YOU!

Since I'm quoting a million messaged I'm adding my type in yellow for visibility.

Wanted to stress again: For the GF, Seeing the Northern lights is goal #1, #2, and #3 on this trip. EVERYTHING else will have to take a backseat to that.

Would suggest spending a few hours at Sky Lagoon while in Reykjavik. Make an appointment for first thing in the morning (they open at 10 or 11a) or late in the day to avoid the crowds. Pay a little extra for the 7-step ritual (Pure Package). The Sky Package just includes private changing facilities. The "Public" ones were just fine.

Blue Lagoon is the more touristy location but I liked Sky Lagoon so much, I went there two days in a row. Of the people that I spoke to that went to both, most preferred Sky Lagoon.

If you have a car, I highly recommend the Golden Circle Tour. It will take you 6-7 hours total, depending on how often you stop and for how long. I was there a couple of months ago and would highly recommend it.

Drive to Gullfoss Falls

Thanks and I'll keep this in mind.

That said, if you looked at the itinerary we will only have 2-3 "Free" days in Reykjavik. The time we're going , the days are short (Sunrise @ 9am / Sunset @ 5pm). We may look into if one of the golden circle stops is a day drip from Hotel Ranga Resort and drop in... but dedicating a full day or two of our Reykjavik days to the golden circle is likely not in the cards.

We are indeed flying into heathrow. I like the idea of getting a hotel near the airport. As others have suggested, taking the tube in makes sense ,as well. We're not big on shows at ALL, but Dinner and hitting a pub or catching some live music would be nice.

Iceland is on our bucket list also. FWIW - we had an overnight connection in London a few years ago and ended up hiring a private driver to drive us "down town". We stopped at several sites including Piccadilly Circus, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace. Would drop us off and allow us to walk around and take some pics. We were going to take the train but the hotel arranged for the driver, but I'm sure you can find them.

GREAT idea here... I'll look into this. If anyone has any suggestions / links, I'd love them.

I think this is pretty good advice about the London portion. Stay at a hotel out near the airport, weather permitting and if you like walking, take a cab into town get dropped off near Buckingham Palace walk over to Big Ben / Parliament / Westminster Abbey. Then walk the Thames (I like the south side) up to Tower of London then head into Shoreditch to hit pub or restaurant for dinner. Then head back to hotel.

Enjoy!

Thanks - Love the points of interest you're suggesting, thank you. I'll work on plotting them out on a map. We love walking/wandering cities, so these stops being walkable is great.

Not 100% sure on this, but I've heard that there's a much better chance of seeing the northern lights on the north side of the island. Less 'other' touristy stuff up there, though. Definitely need a place away from cities and other light pollution as much as possible. I think you're near the end of "Northern Lights" season.

Golden Circle should definitely be on your list - not too far from Rejkyavik, and all three sites are amazing.
Would definitely recommend a glacier activity - we hiked, but a snowmobile would be cool, too, for sure.
We also enjoyed our tour of the interior of the island. Lots of cool stuff to see. You have to take a tour, as they don't let rental cars drive there.
Blue Lagoon was by far my least favorite part of the trip, but my wife liked it. Hot springs just aren't my thing, I guess.

Northern Side is a bit better but not dramatically so. The primary goal is to get away from the city / light polution .We're doing that at the resort (Ranga). They also have a legit observatory where we will be able to do some stargazing as well. Given it's winter, we're trying to stick to the southern side of the island due to road conditions.

Northern Lights : Season ends in April, yes, but peak activity is around the equinoxes in March and September so we should be good. Going in the winter makes for longer nights, which is more opportunity (hours) for solar activity to trigger the lights.

We're definitely looking into Snowmobile on a Glacier run one day while at Ranga. They arrange those excursions. :thumbup:

Good info on the Traffic and taking the tube. Oyster card isn't a need as everything takes Apple Pay / Contactless cards now.

Also, if you can swing it I would try and fly business class there and economy back. You will get some sleep if you splurge. I can never sleep in those seats in coach but nothing better than lie flat seat on a red eye. Makes that first day doable otherwise you will likely be exhausted.

Lastly, definitely do the golden circle tour in Iceland. It was awesome and we did it through a tour in off road Jeeps and we were able to do some off road driving. I would definitely also do a Lagoon visit. I did Blue Lagoon and Secret Lagoon. Both were great but very different experiences as Secret Lagoon was a small local place and Blue Lagoon much larger and touristy. Benefit of Blue Lagoon is right near airport so can easily add on when arriving or leaving.

Tempting to go for Business class but given the costs we're sticking with Coach Exit Row. I've got one of these inflatables for a pillow and while they look absurd, they work amazing for sleeping on flights. That coupled with some cocktails in the lounge, then a muscle relaxer and/or edible and I'm confident we can get some decent shuteye in coach.

Restaurants:

Sexy Fish

Bars:

HELL YEAH.. thank you for the tips on restaurants & bars.

Yep! Contactless cards / Apple Pay will be just fine for this. I'm on Verizon and the GF is on ATT. We're experienced with international travel and haven't had issues in the past so I expect more of the same.

We did Iceland a few years ago and got an awesome Northern lights show on new year's eve. Cloud cover is an issue to see the lights often. We didn't get great colors with the naked eye, but they were crazy through the camera.

Kerid crater is super cool

That said, if you looked at the itinerary we will only have 2-3 "Free" days in Reykjavik. The time we're going , the days are short (Sunrise @ 9am / Sunset @ 5pm). We may look into if one of the golden circle stops is a day drip from Hotel Ranga Resort and drop in... but dedicating a full day or two of our Reykjavik days to the golden circle is likely not in the cards.

That sounds like the best option while at Ranga. We rented a car, left in the morning and we're back early evening. Great day trip and a must for your first time in Iceland. Lets you enjoy the city and not rush for those 2-3 days you have in Reykjavik.

AWESOME FEEDBACK ALL ... THANK YOU!

Since I'm quoting a million messaged I'm adding my type in yellow for visibility.

Wanted to stress again: For the GF, Seeing the Northern lights is goal #1, #2, and #3 on this trip. EVERYTHING else will have to take a backseat to that.

Drive to Gullfoss Falls

We are indeed flying into heathrow. I like the idea of getting a hotel near the airport. As others have suggested, taking the tube in makes sense ,as well. We're not big on shows at ALL, but Dinner and hitting a pub or catching some live music would be nice.

GREAT idea here... I'll look into this. If anyone has any suggestions / links, I'd love them.

Enjoy!

Thanks - Love the points of interest you're suggesting, thank you. I'll work on plotting them out on a map. We love walking/wandering cities, so these stops being walkable is great.

Northern Side is a bit better but not dramatically so. The primary goal is to get away from the city / light polution .We're doing that at the resort (Ranga). They also have a legit observatory where we will be able to do some stargazing as well. Given it's winter, we're trying to stick to the southern side of the island due to road conditions.

Northern Lights : Season ends in April, yes, but peak activity is around the equinoxes in March and September so we should be good. Going in the winter makes for longer nights, which is more opportunity (hours) for solar activity to trigger the lights.

We're definitely looking into Snowmobile on a Glacier run one day while at Ranga. They arrange those excursions. :thumbup:

You can do the three main sites of the golden circle in half a day. Definitely worth a day to see the geysers, the waterfall place with multiple roaring waterfalls and the crazy valley that is a fissure between two tectonic plates.

Honestly, you don't go to Iceland to see Reykjavik. It's the place to sleep and head out to see the cool stuff.

I get that YOU don't, and I get that many don't... but I think folks sometimes try to project their ideal vacation onto others without considering that people sometimes look for different things while traveling. :D

Are we looking to take in some sights while in Iceland? Of course! Has this thread got me looking into golden circle stop or three, and some other cool options. Absolutely, and thank you 😁

However, Are we looking to jam our days full of stressful driving from point a to point B on icy roads in the dead of Icelandic winter? Not really.

Now I'm guessing that those roads are probably not terrible since they're well travelled, and it DOES look like the drive between spots isn't too bad distance wise. That's appealing.

However, we also enjoy relaxing, hanging out with locals, trying local eats, wandering streets and ducking into random shops, etc. Running around packing in as many of the typical "check the box" tourist sights isn't really our jam. Thus for us having a couple days to explore Reykjavik actually IS something we want to do.

That said we WILL absolutely pick a few things to do while there, between just relaxing and exploring a little off the normal path. :)

Last edited:
The Grey Cat Cafe - Cute little breakfast cafe. Not necessarily Icelandic as it has an American breakfast menu but it's a cool little (5-6 tables tops) place to start the day with breakfast and coffee. In downtown Reykjavik.

If you need any outerwear, 66North is a local company and brand that has some good stuff and a store downtown. I have a few pieces that I really like, despite living in Miami and don't have a need for it much unless I'm travelling! My company had an event in Iceland in August so I received a lot of Icelandic "things" that we sent out to our guests as promos.

The Grey Cat Cafe - Cute little breakfast cafe. Not necessarily Icelandic as it has an American breakfast menu but it's a cool little (5-6 tables tops) place to start the day with breakfast and coffee. In downtown Reykjavik.

If you need any outerwear, 66North is a local company and brand that has some good stuff and a store downtown. I have a few pieces that I really like, despite living in Miami and don't have a need for it much unless I'm travelling! My company had an event in Iceland in August so I received a lot of Icelandic "things" that we sent out to our guests as promos.

Ha ha, I ate at that exact place when I was there. Good coffee if I recall.

Also, I loved Camden Town. This is a good link that I remember which names most things I would recommend:

The stables they turned into a shopping area is great, and you can grab a bite and hang by the nearby canal

I’m on a plane right now coming back from the UK. The advice on staying by the airport is good. If you have a 7 AM flight, you’re going to have to get up very early to make that flight. And your body clock is going to be jacked up. I stayed at a hotel right in terminal 5 and it was super convenient to just walk to security and my gate. If you stay at the airport, stay in the terminal you’re leaving from. It’s a bit of a hassle to catch trains to the correct terminal, especially if you’re not familiar with the system.

Booked at Sheraton Heathrow.. just next door to Terminal 5. Will plan on taking the tube into the city and back for that first day in London. Makes me MUCH more comfortable with the 7am flight out to Reykjavik 👍🏼👍🏼

UPDATE:
Most items booked at this point. Given weather we're prepared for a good bit of flexibility.

CAR: Rented a Jeep Renegade 4x4. Couldn't pull the trigger on a Wrangler at 2x the price ($1k/week vs $500/wk). Has locking differentials and traction control system with "snow" mode so we should be good to go. Initially booked with Discover... do not recommend. They are a broker who had us lined up though a terrible rep agency. Backed out and had to fight for a cash refund vs "Credit". Went with Blue Car. Much better. Rental desk at airport too.

REVISED AGENDA:

Friday 2/24:
Land in London @ 10am - Check in at Sheraton Heathrow then take Piccadilly Line into town to check out Buck Palace area on foot followed by a casual dinner, Then tube back to hotel.

Saturday 2/25: Depart for Reykjavik at 7am. Checking into Vintage Hotel ("Penthouse" room) + Reykjavik Food Walk (3hr tour) that afternoon. Then wander to explore town and hit some pubs.

Sunday 2/26 - Thursday 3/2: This will be flexible based on weather, but this is the goal.
2/26:
Leave @ sunrise to do Golden Circle (clockwise), then head east to Hotel Ranga in Hella. Stop at Bonus in Selfoss for snacks/sandwiches.
2/27: Caves of Hella / Seljalandsfoss Waterfall + Enjoy the Hotel Grounds
2/28: Snowmobile Tour of Eyjafjallajökull Glacier
3/1: Head East to Vik w/ Stops at Kvernufoss/Skogafoss falls, then check out Reynisfjara Beach, Lava Show, and grab chow in town.

3/2: Head back to Reykjavik - Check into "Room with a View" Hotel on Laugavegur (near Lebowski Bar). Explore town.

3/3: Explore Town - 6:30p to 10:00pm reservations at Ox Restaurant. 🔥 Recent Michelin Star awardee and only Icelandic restaurant to earn "Global Master Level" cuisine by White Guide. They provide single "Chef's Table" style experience with 4-5 Chefs serving 16 to 20 courses (+ wine/cocktail pairing) to 12 guests for 3.5 hours. :eek: There is no check, we have prepaid $756 for 2 of us, all inclusive. No vegans. No Gluten-free. No BS.

3/4: Fly back to London. Eyeing West side of London (possibly Turnham Green area) for Nice dinner + Pints at Pubs + Full English breakfast in the morning.

3/5: Full English Breakfast then fly home.

Absolutely welcome any further suggestions, and huge thanks for all the input/feedback!

Last edited:
I haven't read the thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but we had a big issue with getting gas into our rental car in Iceland. Make sure that you have a card that has a PIN. At least where we were, all the gas stations were unattended and required a card that had a PIN in order to activate the pump.

I haven't read the thread so don't know if this has been mentioned, but we had a big issue with getting gas into our rental car in Iceland. Make sure that you have a card that has a PIN. At least where we were, all the gas stations were unattended and required a card that had a PIN in order to activate the pump.

Thank you! It hasn't been brought up here but I did come across that in my digging. Apparently US cards don't have PINs (Generally) but reportedly debit cards seem to work okay, as well as contactless (applepay/googlepay). This is supposedly only an issue at the unmanned stations in more remote areas... did you find this to be the case?

UPDATE:
Most items booked at this point. Given weather we're prepared for a good bit of flexibility.

CAR: Rented a Jeep Renegade 4x4. Couldn't pull the trigger on a Wrangler at 2x the price ($1k/week vs $500/wk). Has locking differentials and traction control system with "snow" mode so we should be good to go. Initially booked with Discover... do not recommend. They are a broker who had us lined up though a terrible rep agency. Backed out and had to fight for a cash refund vs "Credit". Went with Blue Car. Much better. Rental desk at airport too.

REVISED AGENDA:

Friday 2/24:
Land in London @ 10am - Check in at Sheraton Heathrow then take Piccadilly Line into town to check out Buck Palace area on foot followed by a casual dinner, Then tube back to hotel.

Saturday 2/25: Depart for Reykjavik at 7am. Checking into Vintage Hotel ("Penthouse" room) + Reykjavik Food Walk (3hr tour) that afternoon. Then wander to explore town and hit some pubs.

Sunday 2/26 - Thursday 3/2: This will be flexible based on weather, but this is the goal.
2/26:
Leave @ sunrise to do Golden Circle (clockwise), then head east to Hotel Ranga in Hella. Stop at Bonus in Selfoss for snacks/sandwiches.
3/1: Head East to Vik w/ Stops at Kvernufoss/Skogafoss falls, then check out Reynisfjara Beach, Lava Show, and grab chow in town.

3/2: Head back to Reykjavik - Check into "Room with a View" Hotel on Laugavegur (near Lebowski Bar). Explore town.

3/3: Explore Town - 6:30p to 10:00pm reservations at Ox Restaurant. 🔥 Recent Michelin Star awardee and only Icelandic restaurant to earn "Global Master Level" cuisine by White Guide. They provide single "Chef's Table" style experience with 4-5 Chefs serving 16 to 20 courses (+ wine/cocktail pairing) to 12 guests for 3.5 hours. :eek: There is no check, we have prepaid $756 for 2 of us, all inclusive. No vegans. No Gluten-free. No BS.

3/4: Fly back to London. Eyeing West side of London (possibly Turnham Green area) for Nice dinner + Pints at Pubs + Full English breakfast in the morning.

Absolutely welcome any further suggestions, and huge thanks for all the input/feedback!
Would highly suggest Sky Lagoon while in Reykjavik if you can fit it in. If you can make a reservation (with the 7-step Ritual) for first thing in the morning, it's great to be there before it gets busy.

Didn't do Blue Lagoon as a comparison but after speaking with multiple people who did, they said it was too toursity. Sky Lagoon is relatively new with a great location/view. I could have stayed in the sauna for hours.

Thank you! It hasn't been brought up here but I did come across that in my digging. Apparently US cards don't have PINs (Generally) but reportedly debit cards seem to work okay, as well as contactless (applepay/googlepay). This is supposedly only an issue at the unmanned stations in more remote areas... did you find this to be the case?

We weren't in remote areas when we found this problem, and we couldn't find a manned station anywhere. Debit cards did not work at the stations. BUT, this was five years ago so it might be very different now, and contactless wasn't really a thing then. Sounds like not such an issue at this point.

We weren't in remote areas when we found this problem, and we couldn't find a manned station anywhere. Debit cards did not work at the stations. BUT, this was five years ago so it might be very different now, and contactless wasn't really a thing then. Sounds like not such an issue at this point.
Damn okay! Good to know.

I'll do a deeper dive into that. THANK YOU.

And no, I'm not Following you around the globe.(but I'm glad you've beat me to these places and are helpful!) 😜

UPDATE:

REVISED AGENDA:

Friday 2/24:

2/26:

Would highly suggest Sky Lagoon while in Reykjavik if you can fit it in. If you can make a reservation (with the 7-step Ritual) for first thing in the morning, it's great to be there before it gets busy.

Didn't do Blue Lagoon as a comparison but after speaking with multiple people who did, they said it was too toursity. Sky Lagoon is relatively new with a great location/view. I could have stayed in the sauna for hours.
Thanks but yah, unfortunately we aren't lagoon folks.

I'd probably be down but the GF loathes the idea, especially in the winter.

I even tried to suggest the off the beaten path and awesome Hrunalaug to avoid crowds but no dice:
Hrunalaug Hot Spring

I agree the lagoons are nice experience, but probably a bit overrated and expensive. Basically just sitting in a large heated pool.

Reykjavik itself is a pretty interesting city and very walkable. And of course, you'll want to have at least one hot dog at the famous Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur stand.

Sounds like an awesome trip and itinerary Icon. I definitely want to get back to Iceland (this time in the summer). And I wouldn't worry too much about your rental car. You should be fine with that Jeep. I went around the same time of year, rented a standard four door sedan and was fine even in the colder mountain areas.

You should probably try some smoked puffin while you're there. I felt a little bad eating the cute little bird but better than I expected.

UPDATE:

REVISED AGENDA:

Friday 2/24:

2/26:

Thanks but yah, unfortunately we aren't lagoon folks.

I'd probably be down but the GF loathes the idea, especially in the winter.

I even tried to suggest the off the beaten path and awesome Hrunalaug to avoid crowds but no dice:
Hrunalaug Hot Spring
That's cool. I'm sure the rest of the trip will be awesome. I didn't spend a lot of time in Iceland but the time I did spend there was pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread