What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Roster Management (1 Viewer)

Dirty Hairy

Footballguy
I conducted a little experiment this year - I deliberately reduced the number of IDP's I carry on my roster.

Instead I decided to use these roster spots for QB, RB & WRs.

Now that we are through 13 weeks, I can begin the evaluation. These are all Zealot Classic leagues which start 2 DL, 3 LB, and 3 DB with the flexibility of starting a 3rd DL instead of LB or DB, which I rarely do. The leagues have 53 man rosters and also start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex(RB/WR/TE), 1 PK. Normal performance scoring with no PPR and all TDs worth 6 points, including passing.

I'll post the results below but I was curious if anyone else has looked at this.

The first example is Z32 DBs:

Both 2007 and 2008 averaged 5.5 DBs on the roster with a similar number of transactions during the year.

Average weekly points for 3 starting DBs declined from 22.5 in 2007 to 18.0 in 2008 - a decline of 1.5 per starter per week.

I started the season with five DBs, Chris Harris, Sean Jones, Aquib Talib, Brandon McGowan, and Brian Williams. The last two of which were off the grid a little as McGowan was battling in training camp for the starting SS and Williams moved over from CB to SS which received very little press coverage.

My strategy in general was to not roster developmental DB players, but I broke my strategy in this league by carrying Aquib Talib, TBB CB all year and never started him - I'm a sucker for "the next Ronde Barber". Very poor use of the roster spot in hindsight.

Reviewing the two years reflects the point declines caused by the performance of my starters - a significant drop off for Chris Harris from 119 points to 52 freaking points and Sean Jones from 113 to 50, plus Marlin Jackson started off like gangbusters in 2007 and I didn't have anyone like that in 2008. Jones was injured so I knew not start him, but Harris just killed me because I started him most weeks. Brian Williams was a nice contributor in 2008 until he moved back to CB, of course I was a little thin so I started him a few times too many. Two in-season pickups helped salvage 2008: Payne to replace McGowan and Mike Adams to fill in for Sean Jones.

So to review, the results were worse as far as DB scoring, but with my two 2007 top 20 guys falling off so badly, I don't think it could have been avoided.

I'll work on LB & DL to finish this evaluation.

My league: Start 3 DL, 4 LB, 3 DB

I carry 6 DL, 7 LB, and 9 DB.

Of my 6 DL, 5 can play for me any week. Mark Anderson is a hanger-on for the future... if he ever shows up. May be a roster cut eventually, maybe as soon as next year. Also have 3 on the taxi squad, so 9 in total.

Of the 7 LB's I have on the active roster, all can play any week, but 4 are my starters with 3 backups. HB Blades is on the practice squad for the future, but might be gone eventually if Fletcher doesn't kick it.

I wish I didn't have so many DBs but they are so unpredictable I have a few hot hands that I normally don't roster (Bullitt, for example) and a few youngsters who have yet to materialize as full time starters for me (Landry, Marshall, Lowery). I also am beginning to subscribe to the idea of not rostering developmental DBs. You can always find one on the WW.

I'm in a 12 team start 11 IDP league with either a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. 45 man rosters, but no IR spots. See this thread if you want more details:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=434854

Most of this year, I've been carrying:

4-7 DL

6-9 LB

5-7 DB

This gives me the following breakdown:

11 starters, normally a 3-4

1 DL on IR - Osi Umeniyora

1-2 reserve DL, although I did creep up to 3 reserves at one point due to injuries. I don't really want to carry 7 DL in this league even with DL getting extra for tackles compared to the rest of the defensive positions.

2-5 reserve LB's. I want reserve LB's because they are more likley to be consistent point producers for my team. Also I roster 2 older veteran LB's who I couldn't really move for value, so I want a couple developmental spots there.

1-3 reserve DB's. I prefer having 2 reserves (half my starters), but did sometimes drop it down to one reserve. This gives me some bye week & matchup flexibilty, and I for some reason have generally had good luck drafting rookie DB's to go with the stud DB's I already have over the last few seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread