What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Fox gets his way, the Bears will get rid of Cutler (1 Viewer)

badfish211

Footballguy
I get the sense that Fox/Pace are leaning towards jettisoning Cutty, but the hire of Loggains and Gase contradict that notion. The mixed messages worry me a bit because it feels like dissension could creep into Halas Hall. As far as Fox, we have only heard him speak twice since being hired. His non-committal attitude about Cutty during the pre-Combine presser has been well documented over the last week. However, what really stood out to me was something he said in his introductory presser. I will admit that I am digging deep here but bear with me. Here is an excerpt from Fox's introductory presser:

[SIZE=10pt]Question:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]HOW MUCH AUTHORITY DO YOU NEED OVER A ROSTER? IF YOU’VE GOT GUYS YOU CAN’T WIN WITH, CAN YOU ENACT THAT CHANGE?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Answer:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.5pt]That’s a great question. Because in today’s deal, contractually, I just know in 1989 we didn’t have all that. To me, I don’t think you need all that in 2015. I think, just like I talked about with the team, I believe that to be true with the decision makers. If we have a building full of good evaluators, if we work at it very hard, I’ve been places where we never even had in writing what and who and all that. Typically you come to the same agreement, and I predict that’s the way it’s going to be here moving forward.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Granted, he is doing a fair share of meaningless rambling here. However, I believe that coaches and GMs come into these pressers with a lot of information based on meetings and research, but are willing to speak on about 5% of those thoughts. Good questions can force them to say a little more than they may want to. I believe that is the case here. My take of this quote is that John Fox is old school (1989 reference) and does not care how much someone is being paid ("contractually...I don't think you need all that in 2015"). He will play the player that he believes will help his team win, period. This is obviously directed at Cutty since the narrative on him has been almost exclusively contract based lately. People love bashing the Bears for Cutty's contract but Fox doesn't give a rip. Much like Carrol/Schneider did by playing Wilson over the overpaid Matt Flynn, I believe Fox wants a gritty, team first player at QB rather than the overpaid Cutty. Furthermore, he also said:[/SIZE]

On Urlacher's criticism of Cutty:

"what he says is not wrong. ...it’s not always about talent,"

When asked what he looks for in a QB:

"One that wins. I’ve had different ones. They’re just like any other position, from the standpoint of what you’re looking for: decision-making, executing their job, what to do, how to do it and execute it under pressure. That’s what we do. And that translates to every position, in my opinion, whether you’re talking about a kicker, a long snapper. Everybody’s got a job. That’s why this is the ultimate of team games. Relying on the guy next to you to do his job; 11 guys at once doing it, you’re usually successful. I know everybody makes a big deal about the quarterback — and I get that — but it’s still a team game. We all have to do it for our teammates and for something bigger than ourselves. I look for that in any position, to be honest with you."

Well, Cutty doesn't win and Fox did not use the word "talent" once when describing his ideal QB.

[SIZE=10pt]Unfortunately, this brings us to the two roadblocks with getting rid of Cutty. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1) Who is our Russel Wilson? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2) Why hire Gase/Loggains, who are well known for being very close to Cutty if your head coach is not enamored with your pricey QB?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]1) Could it be Mariota? I prefer Winston by a lot, but he will be gone by #7. I'm concerned about Mariota leading a locker room of grown men as well as the obvious concern of him being a system QB only asked to throw to wide open targets in college. We'll let the scouts and time figure that one out. The rest of the QBs in this draft don't amount to much. Some "backup with potential to start" type guys, but chances are low of finding a gem. Do they bring back McCown while waiting to draft a QB next year? Trade for Bradford? Dare I say Jimmy Clausen? I don't know. What I do know is that Cutty has proven to be venomous. In one breath people insult the Bears because of Cutty, then turn around and say cutting him would be dumb because the Bears have no other option. Well, if you are convinced you can't win with him (as has been proven), isn't keeping him just because he is more "talented" than any potential alternatives a bit more dumb?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]2) I'm stumped here. Bringing in "Cutler Guys" seems very, very dangerous to me. Hopefully the staff is all on the same page and I am reading way too deeply, but when it comes to a lightning rod like Cutty, problems can easily arise. How many staffs have to been dismantled by Cutty-led teams before people realize that this horse can't be saved and needs to be put out to pasture? My hopes are that Loggains and Gase are professionals with an open mind who just so happen to have a relationship with Cutty rather than feeling a sense of loyalty towards him. Again, only time will tell.[/SIZE]

Cutler is an above average QB. People need to stop thinking about him as better than that. Highly doubt the Bears are moving on from him but if they want to dump him, he would be welcome in Nashville.

well, when fox dumps him for a 6th I hope he gets the same heat mcd took for getting 2 firsts and a player for 'dismantling' a great offense.

well, when fox dumps him for a 6th I hope he gets the same heat mcd took for getting 2 firsts and a player for 'dismantling' a great offense.
I think it's pretty obvious now that if McDaniels hadn't spent two of those picks on Knowshon and Tebow, they would have been great moves. But he was still a jackass.

Cutler is an above average QB. People need to stop thinking about him as better than that. Highly doubt the Bears are moving on from him but if they want to dump him, he would be welcome in Nashville.
I could think of about 20 teams that would have a better situation at QB with Cutler'fer there. There could be some argument about his contract being too much, but I'd certainly rather overpay that guy than be in a situation like Buffalo.

Cutler is an above average QB. People need to stop thinking about him as better than that.
I agree with this. I do think Cutler may also have an above average ego--but that's also not necessarily bad in a QB if channeled well.

Carolina and Fox fan here, and curious about how this works out as well. We've seen Fox run a successful offense in Carolina which was predicated on the power running game--but there was always the threat of a Delhomme pass to Smith, f'rinstance, and the offense was generally threatening. We've seen Fox do an about face with a successful Peyton Manning-centric offense in Denver, and yet there was always a threatening running game.

I think John Fox is a coach who will play to the strength of his players, and adapt an offense to work with those strengths--and as a generally defensive minded coach he's always going to work towards a strong running game. My thinking here then is that he will work with the most skilled QB on his roster and that's Cutler. He will structure an offense to take the need for heroics out of the equation as much as possible which will limit the freelancing that gets Cutler into such trouble, and that will be through keeping games close and establishing a viable enough running game to maintain that threat throughout.

I'd welcome him and that ridiculously stupid overpaid contract to the Seahawks, Rams, or Cardinals.

Signed,

49er fan
The contract is a different issue and he is overpaid. But he'd be the second best qb in the division if Chicago were in the NFC west.

I have a feeling for some reason that he ends up with the Bills this offseason, I wonder if he would respond to Rex, Jay Cutler on his worst day is better than EJ Manuel on his best?

If he learned anything from his time in Carolina, it's that you pay running backs a lot of money. Imagine how good Murray and Forte would be in the same backfield.

I think it's pretty obvious now that if McDaniels hadn't spent two of those picks on Knowshon and Tebow, they would have been great moves. But he was still a jackass.
he didn't - with the picks acquired in the cutler trade, McD selected Robert Ayers, Richard Quinn and Seth Olsen (no longer in the league) and then the 2010 pick was traded down (along with other picks) with other picks to acquire Demaryius Thomas, Tebow, and Decker.

It all gets real messy because Broncos traded their natural 2010 1st rounder in 2009 for Alphonso Smith - had they held onto that 2010 first rounder, they may have been free to make other moves - probably draft Tebow earlier. Or, use that 2010 first rounder to draft Earl Thomas, as that was the pick used by Seattle.

In hindsight, McD was a jackass for dismantling what was a promising offense - there can be no doubt about that. It wasn't just cutler, it was his inability to make good with Brandon Marshall, it was driving Peyton Hillis out of town, it was trading for Lawrence Maroney, scrapping the ZBS and re-tooling the OL. He completely tore down the Shanahan offense and tried to install his own thing, which, I guess, is what happens when you hire a 35 year old wunderkind. The problem, ultimately, is that McD was given too much power for someone of his experience, and he was too brash to know it.

Brandon Marshall is 100 times more likely to get cut when compared to Cutler. Cutler isn't going to anywhere.

Want proof? The Bears would have signed Josh McCown if they wanted to cut Cutler.

/thread

I could think of about 20 teams that would have a better situation at QB with Cutler'fer there. There could be some argument about his contract being too much, but I'd certainly rather overpay that guy than be in a situation like Buffalo.
No way there are close to 20 with his current contract. I doubt there are even 10, considering two teams will get Winston and Mariotta.

The Cutler hate isnt unwarranted but it is way past extreme, he isnt an elite QB and never has been or will be. He has been in the league 9 years he isnt going to be anything more than he is. An above average QB but to act as if he was the REAL problem in Chicago is off base. That defense was so bad they did not leave much to play calling and game planning. not just bad but so real bad. For a guy who gets so much hate he has never had more turnovers than combined TDs. When he has had over 400 passing attempts he has gone over 3k each time. People who hate Cutler or dont want him on the Bears need to be reminded the grass isnt always greener.

If we could be serious for a second, I'm really hoping for a year of awful regression. I'd like to see him not care even more, get booed repeatedly at Soldier field, and go bankrupt. I'd settle with Marshall just slugging him once.

The Cutler hate isnt unwarranted but it is way past extreme, he isnt an elite QB and never has been or will be. He has been in the league 9 years he isnt going to be anything more than he is. An above average QB but to act as if he was the REAL problem in Chicago is off base.
X

Brandon Marshall is 100 times more likely to get cut when compared to Cutler. Cutler isn't going to anywhere.

Want proof? The Bears would have signed Josh McCown if they wanted to cut Cutler.

/thread
Not without Trestman.
Trestman doesn't matter. McCown knows the offense and is well liked by the players and the fans love him. It would be the easiest route for the Bears to take.

GridironMenace said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
GridironMenace said:

/thread
Not without Trestman.
Trestman doesn't matter. McCown knows the offense and is well liked by the players and the fans love him. It would be the easiest route for the Bears to take.
ummmmmm.......

GridironMenace said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
GridironMenace said:

/thread
Not without Trestman.
Read your first sentence and the beginning of your second sentence again. Stop for a bit and let it sink in. Report back. Thanks.

Just Win Baby said:
FUBAR said:
fantasycurse42 said:
I'd welcome him and that ridiculously stupid overpaid contract to the Seahawks, Rams, or Cardinals.

Signed,

49er fan
The contract is a different issue and he is overpaid. But he'd be the second best qb in the division if Chicago were in the NFC west.
:no: Wilson

Palmer

Cutler

Bradford?
Wouldn't count on Palmer. But at least wr can agree he's better than kap.

12punch said:
VarsityBlues123 said:
The Cutler hate isnt unwarranted but it is way past extreme, he isnt an elite QB and never has been or will be. He has been in the league 9 years he isnt going to be anything more than he is. An above average QB but to act as if he was the REAL problem in Chicago is off base.
X
The defense is worse.

Okay please list..... Also for the record I would rather be where Buffalo is at, they KNOW they need a new QB where as a team with Cutler THINKS they have a QB that could help their team to the Super Bowl.

Back to the point please list the teams where Cutler would improve their situation?

Okay please list..... Also for the record I would rather be where Buffalo is at, they KNOW they need a new QB where as a team with Cutler THINKS they have a QB that could help their team to the Super Bowl.

Back to the point please list the teams where Cutler would improve their situation?
AFC East

AFC NorthAFC SouthAFC WestNFC EastNFC North
NFC SouthNFC WestI count 14, that's almost half the league. I'd rather have Bortles and Bridewater but as of today, Cutler is probably better.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFC East

NFC SouthNFC WestI count 14, that's almost half the league. I'd rather have Bortles and Bridewater but as of today, Cutler is probably better.
At his current contract, Cutler wouldn't be better for all of those teams.

He wouldn't be better than Foles (or Mariotta) for Philly.

He wouldn't be better for Tampa than Winston on a rookie contract or for Oakland with Carr on a rookie contract.

I'm not a big Dalton fan, but I'm not sure Cutler would be an upgrade.

I'm not sure what the point of that list is, but there are a few on there that just aren't happening.

billy o'b isn't taking him, and neither is kelly, for example.

and I'd much rather have the promise of a rookie contract qb like carr, or whoever gets drafted this year, than cutler

there are probably 3-5 legit ones on that list

AFC East

At his current contract, Cutler wouldn't be better for all of those teams.

He wouldn't be better than Foles (or Mariotta) for Philly.

He wouldn't be better for Tampa than Winston on a rookie contract or for Oakland with Carr on a rookie contract.

I'm not a big Dalton fan, but I'm not sure Cutler would be an upgrade.
:shrug: we're in agreement that Cutler is overpaid.

I'm not sure what the point of that list is, but there are a few on there that just aren't happening.

and I'd much rather have the promise of a rookie contract qb like carr, or whoever gets drafted this year, than cutler

All I'm saying is Cutler is an above average QB. TDorBust asked for a list (although it's not 20 as stated by -CE- )

Completely agree that IF the Bears wanted to trade Cutler, they'd be lucky to have 3-5 interested teams.

All I'm saying is Cutler is an above average QB. TDorBust asked for a list (although it's not 20 as stated by -CE- )

Completely agree that IF the Bears wanted to trade Cutler, they'd be lucky to have 3-5 interested teams.
Just as a note 32 divided by 2 is 16 so if you only have 14 teams that should take him he actually is below average in my mind. I have closer to 7 teams that should possibly look at him (without his current contract).

AFC East
Buffalo
NY Jets
AFC North
Cincinnati Stick with a QB who has gotten you to the playoffs every single year in Dalton and see if he can take the next step finally, otherwise groom a young QB
Cleveland
AFC South
Houston
Tennessee
AFC West
Kansas City
Oakland Your sticking with Carr instead of bringing in another train wreck of a player
NFC East
Philadelphia Foles is likely better for the team and/or Mariota
Washington
NFC North
NFC South
Tampa Bay Winston is a better option
NFC West
Arizona Palmer is fine and would have led them deeper in the playoffs likely last year if he wasnt injured
San Francisco Give Kaep another year to rebound under a new coach, see if he can recapture the magic
St Louis Give Sam Bradford one more year to see if he can stay healthy for once otherwise move on in 2016

Just as a note 32 divided by 2 is 16 so if you only have 14 teams that should take him he actually is below average in my mind. I have closer to 7 teams that should possibly look at him (without his current contract).

AFC East
Buffalo
NY Jets
AFC North
Cincinnati Stick with a QB who has gotten you to the playoffs every single year in Dalton and see if he can take the next step finally, otherwise groom a young QB
Cleveland
AFC South
Houston
Tennessee
AFC West
Kansas City
Oakland Your sticking with Carr instead of bringing in another train wreck of a player
NFC East
Philadelphia Foles is likely better for the team and/or Mariota
Washington
NFC North
NFC South
Tampa Bay Winston is a better option
NFC West
Arizona Palmer is fine and would have led them deeper in the playoffs likely last year if he wasnt injured
San Francisco Give Kaep another year to rebound under a new coach, see if he can recapture the magic
St Louis Give Sam Bradford one more year to see if he can stay healthy for once otherwise move on in 2016
I would imagine that the Chiefs aren't trading Smith for Cutler straight up, even without contracts playing any role in the decision. Smith has been in the playoffs far more in recent years than Cutler has.

Thanks for the math lesson. (if you bothered to read, you'd see that IMO he's better than Bridgewater and Bortles right now).

14+2 = 16, so 15 better, 16 worse (at least arguably).

ETA: never said those 14 teams "should take him". Just that he's better than their starter if we're ranking QBs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the math lesson. (if you bothered to read, you'd see that IMO he's better than Bridgewater and Bortles right now).

14+2 = 16, so 15 better, 16 worse (at least arguably).

ETA: never said those 14 teams "should take him". Just that he's better than their starter if we're ranking QBs.
wouldn't that just make him average?

Users who are viewing this thread