What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Geno Smith starts. (1 Viewer)

I predict people will be singing a different tune on Geno come next week. I can't shake the feeling that the Jets actually surprise people a bit this season. They aren't just going to fold up their tents.

I'll remind everyone how utterly atrocious Carolina's offense looked in the preseason of Cam's first year. Now, I AM NOT SAYING GENO=CAM. But I think the kid could surprise a bit...

Preseason isn't the final word... let's see what the kid's got in the real games.

Got to love it. Geno Smith comes out the other day stating that he hasn't looked at film on Revis but has talked to Sanchez about him. This morning on ESPN radio (Mike & Mike) they interview Rex Ryan and ask about something that sticks out about Geno Smith and Ryan says that he's impressed by Geno's preparedness. You can't make this **** up its so funny.

Got to love it. Geno Smith comes out the other day stating that he hasn't looked at film on Revis but has talked to Sanchez about him. This morning on ESPN radio (Mike & Mike) they interview Rex Ryan and ask about something that sticks out about Geno Smith and Ryan says that he's impressed by Geno's preparedness. You can't make this **** up its so funny.
Maybe Geno was lying about not having watched film on Revis?

The Marty M offense looked good in pre-season. But Holmes did not take one snap. I dont think we'll see him the whole game, he will be limited. And Revis might be on him.

I like S SHill for a what the heck flex if u really want to take a flyer.

Winslow and Cumberland both looked pretty good in the preseason.

Kerly didnt look great, but I think they were holding him back some, he might be ok.

C Gates was the breakout guy from camp and looked really good. That beings aid, I dont think I would start him either.

What the heck S Shill

Might get you some PPR catches Kerly

Might score a TD Cumberland/Winslow

But I'd stay clear of Holmes for now, just don't know enough about his health and most imprtatnly if Revis will be covering him or S Hill.

Maybe Geno was lying about not having watched film on Revis?
His rational was that he didn't think Geno watching Revis play in a Jets uniform/system would help him much.

Geno looked pretty good, could be a decent spot starter. He added some decent runs on the ground, but run game did not help him much.

I was actually surprisingly impressed by Geno Smith today. The Bucs defense pressured him all day and he seemed to keep his cool for the most part. That one interception was pretty ugly, but I can write that off as rookie jitters.

Jets will need to get creative since no one on the outside will consistently get separation on the outside. Winslow might also be a bye week option.

I think the jets get a bit too cute on occasion but they want to really balance the attack to keep the pressure off. Holmes at his best will be a huge addition but the guy is not healthy and it will take some time to get there.

Winslow was a solid guy today and s hill might be a option if they loose up the play book for geno a bit more...

I was actually surprisingly impressed by Geno Smith today. The Bucs defense pressured him all day and he seemed to keep his cool for the most part. That one interception was pretty ugly, but I can write that off as rookie jitters.
:bowtie:

Dude looked good. He had guys in his face all afternoon... so much for the Jets O-line. It looks, though, like they have a QB who they might be able to win with. He definitely showed some flashes and handled all of the pressure pretty well I'd say.

Stephen Hill had a career high with 6 catches. Gotta like that even if the yards weren't there.

good for geno and rex...

one of the more maligned franchises in the league in the offseason earned a reprieve...

The Bucs were impressed:

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Pro Bowl DT Gerald McCoy couldn't believe it.

After Tampa Bay's defensive tackle delivered hit after hit on Jets quarterback Geno Smith, he expected to see the rookie break, to see Smith start fearing the bruising linemen coming after him.

Yet there was Smith, standing tall in the pocket and not backing down.

"I was sure when I was hitting him early on he would be rattled but the guy just kept sitting in there. 'Man, how many more times I got to hit you?'" McCoy said. "He definitely stayed poised and made plays when necessary. He took a lot of big hits today. He always bounced back up and went and made plays. That guy has a bright future."

The Buccaneers were impressed with the steadiness Smith displayed on Sunday as he led the Jets to an 18-17 comeback win in the final seconds Sunday at MetLife Stadium. The Bucs held the Jets to 304 yards, but Smith didn't wilt against a tough defense.

"He was very poised. He was on to the next [play]," Buccaneers linebacker Mason Foster said. "Anything happened, he kept pushing through, got his team up and down the field. Got to tip your hat to him for that. It's tough to do that in the NFL."

Smith entered Sunday's game with limited preseason work due to a rolled ankle and the Jets resting him in the fourth preseason game, and he didn't impress in his little playing time. He completed just 22 of 37 passes for 246 yards in two preseason games, with one touchdown and three interceptions.

The Buccaneers did a solid job containing Smith and the Jets' offense, holding them to just one touchdown, and registering five sacks and two turnovers.

In the second quarter, Foster's sack of Smith led to a fumble recovery at the Jets' five-yard line, and Doug Martin scored on the next play to put Tampa Bay ahead, 14-5. Lavonte David then picked off Smith on the next drive with the Jets in Buccaneers' territory.

Smith won the battle with the Buccaneers' defense in the fourth as he led the Jets on two go-ahead drives. Smith engineered a 14-play, 65-yard drive for a field goal to put the Jets ahead 15-14 with 5:05 left, and he drove the Jets 50 yards in 32 seconds for the game-winning field goal.

That drive was aided by a late hit from David, who was flagged for a personal foul for shoving Smith after he was out of bounds, and the penalty put the Jets at Tampa Bay's 30 with seven seconds left.

"To me he was in bounds, but I guess he was out of bounds and that's why they called the penalty," David said.

Had it not been for that penalty, the Buccaneers likely would be leaving New Jersey with a win. Instead, they head back to Florida 0-1 after a rookie beat them in his debut.

"I think he used his gifts," Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano said. "When under pressure, we made some errors as far as containing him and he used it, got away. He's got a big arm. He made some throws. He was under pressure. I think he did a good job."

geno outduelled manuel in the battle of the rookie QBs...

lifts the jets to 2-1...

16/29-331-2 (2 INT) and 4-14-1 rushing

geno looks like a keeper, already more promising and higher upside than sanchez.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I was sure when I was hitting him early on he would be rattled but the guy just kept sitting in there. 'Man, how many more times I got to hit you?'" McCoy said. "He definitely stayed poised and made plays when necessary. He took a lot of big hits today. He always bounced back up and went and made plays. That guy has a bright future."
This is a great sign. The biggest concern I had about him was that he was crack under pressure in college.

lifts the jets to 2-1...

geno looks like a keeper, already more promising and higher upside than sanchez.

Manti Teo's girlfriend would be an upgrade over Sanchez

I really really hope Geno is a franchise QB... I stashed Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill the day Smith was drafted :) (Dynasty with big rosters)

lifts the jets to 2-1...

To be fair, you're using one of the all time worst QBs as a measuring stick...

first jets rookie QB to have 300 yard passing game (namath rookie high about 285).
Different eras. Most teams will have 300 yard rookies sooner or later. Teams just pass for a lot more these days. Silly to think that 300 passing yards once out of 16 games means anything.

first jets rookie QB to have 300 yard passing game (namath rookie high about 285).
Different eras. Most teams will have 300 yard rookies sooner or later. Teams just pass for a lot more these days. Silly to think that 300 passing yards once out of 16 games means anything.
more interesting to me that he did it was that he was the first to do it.namath was different era, but context of stat is inclusive of all eras, including modern/contemporary.

if you are referring to smith, it is once in three (which is more impressive than once in 16)?

watching stedman bailey's highlights, you not only get to see his growth and development and evolution as a player, but also that of geno smith... they played together extending back past west virginia to florida prep years...

these are his highlights and not his lowlights, mayock talked during the draft about his inconsistency, where he would look at times like a sure fire first rounder, and at others wildly inaccurate... not sure if it is a technical issue with footwork, release point or other throwing mechanics/fundamentals... i would just say that when he is on, he is capable of looking very good... maybe with NFL coaching, he can become more consistent... he is a good athlete and ran a sub-4.6, so he will add some points with his feet... there were leadership questions in draft process and preseason, but perhaps winning (not too many expected 2-1 record at this juncture) is the best form of charisma...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TWLXrlF8SE

I think the Geno train derails this week. I picked up the Titans D just for this matchup.

If Smith looks good on the road against this aggressive defense, I will be both shocked and impressed.

geno can be jekyl and hyde (see last week)...

but at his best, he is playing with a maturity beyond his years, and not like a rookie...

if he has more good than bad games as a rookie, with further development, he could be a long term solution for the jets... especially with the defense they have built...

there will be weeks he regresses, but he showed improvement tonight...

easily his best game as a pro...

16 of 20 (80% completion percentage!!), 199 yards and an efficient 3 TDs.

more importantly, he has led jets to 3-2 record (and 13-10 loss week two against pats away from 4-1).

Didn't see the game tonight, did he look as good as the box score? I'm dying at QB and will probably start Geno over Kap next week. Did they have any designed runs are is he straight dropback?

Man, I knew after watching Pats beat Falcons last week that their D is terrible but didn't realize it was that bad.

imo, yes he did look as good as his box score...

he did most of his damage in the pocket...

west virginia not pro style passing attack (though with more teams incoporating college concepts, it is unclear what that even means now? :) ), but you could see he had a quick release and compact delivery...

when he sees it, he can pull the trigger in a hurry...

He looked like Alex Smith (lots of short, safe and efficient passes) but also a running threat that isn't afraid to throw the deep ball if it's available.

With my backup Manuel going down, I'll be looking to add him for my backup and bye week filler.

Users who are viewing this thread