What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If I were to move from Milwaukee? (** Now in Vegas with a Vasectomy **) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NutterButter

Footballguy
Love the layout for tivoli. The decor throughout the whole facility though is just not my thing. It would be nice if you had a balcony facing the pool area. For the summerlin, is the den what they have labeled as "dining room"? What's this room labeled "relax". Love the pool and common area a lot more although the outside area looks a little more compact. To me, it has more of a nice resort feel. Love how the gym faces the pool. I can see how walking across the parking lot would be a negative.

Tivoli:
- Decor is just more modern and the vibe is better....music playing always and more "buzz" when ouside of your apartment. Weekly gatherings where guys have poker night, watch games, etc.
- I'd actually prefer an outward facing view/balcony over the pool....some rooms you get red rock mountain views, some you get Tivoli Village views and some you get a glimpse of the strip over the top of green trees as the view. But there are also some views of parking lots and side of buildings too, so I know where on the sitemap I'd need a place to not have that.
- The gym in this place is sick with probably 20 ft ceilings and it does look right out into the pool area.
- The feel of this place is actually much more resort. Huge Pool, BBQ and lounging areas in the center and all the apartments circled around it. So, it's all connected.

Tanager Dtown Summerlin:
- the decor is more professional and the vibe is just "quiet" and a little lifeless.
- Yep, the dining room is where I'd put my office (no windows sucks though)
- "Relax" is the outdoor balcony. No idea why they label it like that. Dumb.
- Majority of views in this building are gonna be overlooking the parking lot at some level. The outside units towards the mountains and baseball stadium likely will never come available (and I'm not even sure my layout would be on that side...probably reserved for the 2 and 3 BR units)
- The online pictures of the pool and gym make it look a lot nicer than it really is. Very underwhelming in person and small. And yeah not having connected to any of the buildings and basically it's own separate building stinks.

So the B1 with Tanager that the site has listed at $2450 is actually more like $3450?

offdee

Footballguy
So the B1 with Tanager that the site has listed at $2450 is actually more like $3450?

I'm not sure about that. But B1 layout sucks...the living room is so small you can hardly fit a normal couch in there...doesn't work for me. B2 layout isn't much better. If I went up from A3 layout I'd want to go all the way to the B3 Layout. (1,142 sq ft) That B3 layout would be on par size and space wise as the Attraente at Tivoli (1,158 sq ft).

My breakdown of the costs at Tanager with the A3 layout is..

Rent: $2,145
Membership fee: $90
Water, trash, sewer, gas: $110
Parking: Free outdoor
Electric: $120 (guesstimate)
Cable: $110 (guesstimate)
Internet: $70 (guesstimate)
Rental insurance: $14
Private storage unit: $75 (I'll probably need this with only having a 1BR apartment....won't have room for any extra stuff...Xmas tree, luggage, random crap need throughout the year)

TOTAL: $2,734

Zegras11

Footballguy
I could do the car tow thing I'm sure, just would need a little practice backing that thang up.
Nah, you use your noggin, you'll never need to put that thing in reverse. Don't be dumb at the gas stations, and park like a jerk at the motel the one night you need for the trip.
2600 miles in two days , one night would be impressive. Would leave no time for tinder in Nebraska though.

Mr Anonymous

Footballguy
I ran the numbers for the apartment in Tivoli (8 mins from Dtown Summerlin) and Tanager (in the heart of Dtown Summerlin).

In a nutshell:
  • Tivoli apt full monthly expenses: $3,137
    • will give me more space....this is a 2BR / 2BA layout at 1,158 sq ft
    • will allow my home office in the smaller 2nd bedroom and have a window and view while I work
    • cooler building with better ammenities.
    • It's an 8 minute drive to Dtown Summerlin ($12 Uber ride each way)
    • Attraente floor plan:

• Dtown Summerlin apt full monthly expenses: $2,734 (saves $403 per month)
    • less space...this is a 1BR + windowless Den / 1BA layout at 924 sq ft (234 less sq. footage)
      • The 2BR / 2BA layout here will likely be $300-$400 more than the Tivoli total above....just too expensive for an apt IMO.
    • The den space will be good for my home office but no window or view
    • building and ammenities are just meh. Still a brand new nice building, but the vibe just feels more boring and stale. Residents feel older. Have to walk across parking lots to get to the pool and gym.
    • location is ideal
    • A3 floor plan (note: "Dining" is where my office would be. "Relax" is an outdoor balcony...no idea why they label it like that):

@Mr Anonymous knowing right where the 2 locations are....what would you personally recommend? Anybody else's opinions I welcome as well.

To me the added space and surroundings (amenities) at Tivoli would be worth it in spite of the added cost and distance to DTS. But I'm not a walker. I drive to DTS even though it's only about 4 blocks away. You want to feel good about the place you're going to be spending the majority of your time, your home. And it's not like Tivoli is far from DTS. And it's closer to the entertainment and dining options of the Strip and Downtown without being awash in it. The bonus is the fact that Tivoli still has great dining, drinking, and shopping options right there. So when you don't want to get in the car you still have walkable options.

offdee

Footballguy
I ran the numbers for the apartment in Tivoli (8 mins from Dtown Summerlin) and Tanager (in the heart of Dtown Summerlin).

In a nutshell:
  • Tivoli apt full monthly expenses: $3,137
    • will give me more space....this is a 2BR / 2BA layout at 1,158 sq ft
    • will allow my home office in the smaller 2nd bedroom and have a window and view while I work
    • cooler building with better ammenities.
    • It's an 8 minute drive to Dtown Summerlin ($12 Uber ride each way)
    • Attraente floor plan:

• Dtown Summerlin apt full monthly expenses: $2,734 (saves $403 per month)
    • less space...this is a 1BR + windowless Den / 1BA layout at 924 sq ft (234 less sq. footage)
      • The 2BR / 2BA layout here will likely be $300-$400 more than the Tivoli total above....just too expensive for an apt IMO.
    • The den space will be good for my home office but no window or view
    • building and ammenities are just meh. Still a brand new nice building, but the vibe just feels more boring and stale. Residents feel older. Have to walk across parking lots to get to the pool and gym.
    • location is ideal
    • A3 floor plan (note: "Dining" is where my office would be. "Relax" is an outdoor balcony...no idea why they label it like that):

@Mr Anonymous knowing right where the 2 locations are....what would you personally recommend? Anybody else's opinions I welcome as well.

To me the added space and surroundings (amenities) at Tivoli would be worth it in spite of the added cost and distance to DTS. But I'm not a walker. I drive to DTS even though it's only about 4 blocks away. You want to feel good about the place you're going to be spending the majority of your time, your home. And it's not like Tivoli is far from DTS. And it's closer to the entertainment and dining options of the Strip and Downtown without being awash in it. The bonus is the fact that Tivoli still has great dining, drinking, and shopping options right there. So when you don't want to get in the car you still have walkable options.

I’m in total agreement. I fully expected you to suggest d’town Summerlin option, so appreciate this perspective. The Tivoli location just feels more right. And all of the other reasons you stated I feel the same way. Appreciate it!

offdee

Footballguy
Tivoli no brainer IMO. However I don't see any A3 floorplans available in the next 90 days

Yep, it's gonna be Tivoli. A3 is for the Tanager. The Tivoli layout I want is B1 and I need it to be an apt. number lower than 60. The units 60 and higher are in the secondary building which is less connected, and for the tenants who want to be more secluded and quiet. I'll also want either 3rd or 4th floor for views.

There are only 2 available now that fit that criteria:
- 4032: terrible view of a parking lot and a cement building...if you angle yourself just right out the window you get a sliver corner view of the mountains. Not a fan.
- 3050: I really like, decent view of the strip from afar, but it's "available now" and only a 7 month lease and it's just too quick of a turn to get out there. I was very close to just throwing caution to the wind and going for it, but logical offdee pumped the brakes.

She said people break leases all the time to move for work or purchase a home so will just be hopeful something opens up (or 3050 stays available for some reason)

Last edited:

offdee

Footballguy
Just got my quote from PODS to ship all my stuff.....$3,788. Not too bad.

Then I can just drive my car with my dog. Will then hire guys to unload the POD and carry all my stuff up to the apartment, so it's quick and easy.

So, unfortunately there won't be any UHaulin' with car in tow through Nebraska stories fellas.

offdee

Footballguy
Sidenote: when I talked to the PODS girl and she pulled up my quote info, the first thing she said was "Dang, everyone is moving to Vegas these days! I see minimum 3 per week".

Thought that was interesting.

zander_s

Footballguy
3150 for an apartment????

W
T
F

I'm so out of touch....... does that include like everything?

For the Tivoli location, for example....

Rent: $2,728
Resort Fee: $50
Utilities: $120 (includes water, trash, sewer and gas)
Cable & Wifi: $105
Parking: $0 (outdoor, unassigned, covered carports)
Pet Fee: $0 (they told me to register him as an Emotional Support Animal for $40, and I get this $50 per month and $300+ other one time upfront pet fees waived)
Electric: $120 (guesstimate)
Rental Insurance: $14

Total: $3,137
I know i'm pretty late to the party here, but i'm in a 3 bedroom apt with attached double garage in Henderson (Seven Hills) for about $2500 all in. 1200+ sq ft.
That Summerlin name comes with a price! I've got people in Summerlin though, they love it. It is a beautiful community.

nirad3

Footballguy
Another PODs endorsement. We used them to move from St. Paul back to Cali. Very hassle-free and cost-effective.

massraider

Footballguy
I know i'm pretty late to the party here, but i'm in a 3 bedroom apt with attached double garage in Henderson (Seven Hills) for about $2500 all in. 1200+ sq ft.
That Summerlin name comes with a price! I've got people in Summerlin though, they love it. It is a beautiful community.
I'm calling it now: His 2nd lease is in Henderson.

offdee

Footballguy
I'm calling it now: His 2nd lease is in Henderson

I highly doubt it. I would never want to be that close to the Strip. And I’ve not heard great things about Henderson while visiting, and heard nothing but positive about Summerlin.

There was some rain while I was there and Henderson was flooded out and power lost. Summerlin looked like it hardly sprinkled. The infrastructure in Henderson is F’d I guess.

Everyone instantly said “if you’re gonna live somewhere in Vegas, and can afford it, Summerlin is where you want to be”

Major

Footballguy

Then I can just drive my car with my dog. Will then hire guys to unload the POD and carry all my stuff up to the apartment, so it's quick and easy.

So, unfortunately there won't be any UHaulin' with car in tow through Nebraska stories fellas.

Seems like a better option than Uhaul. I imagine renting a truck all that way would run you $2-3k and then you have to deal with the miserable drive. Not worth the few dollars you'd save for all the inconvenience.

offdee

Footballguy

I know most won't care much about this particular post, but for anybody that is doing a move like this in the future....

I called a smaller competing company of PODS to get a comparison quote and the guy told me to look for certain things on the PODS quote. He pointed out a line stating "taxes are extra" and there was two $0 line items that have to do with recovering and shipping BACK the container when done with it. Long story short, after you're already pot committed with PODS and have all of your stuff in transit they spring these extra costs on you and you won't get your stuff delivered until the balance is paid, so you just begrudgingly pay it and feel duped. Supposedly could be upwards of $700-$2K extra than original quote. I did the logical math on my quote and determined they'd likely charge me an add'l $700-$800 on mine which puts it at $4,500 total.

The company I talked to...1-800-PACK-RAT guarantees their quote is final with all taxes and everything included (to compete with PODS) and also took my quote from PODS and matched it with the 16ft container. All in with PACK RAT is $3,800 even. They even booked me with a partner company called Hire a Helper that will give me 2 guys for 2 hrs to take all my stuff up to my Vegas apartment for $220 total.

So, when all said and done the move should be around $4,200 + gas for me to drive my car. Anything under $5K I'm good with...was expecting it to be over that.

It's a 10-14 business day wait from when the container is picked up to delivered to the new apartment so just gotta plan around that. Likely a few days in present apartment with blow up mattress, a few days on the road driving to Vegas and a few days in new apartment with a blow up mattress hoping it's closer to 10 biz days versus 14 biz days. Will just pack my car full of the necessities for me to live for that time in my new apartment without my stuff.

Last edited:

offdee

Footballguy
UPDATE: Flight Attendant upset I’m not in love and am “acting different”. That’s the end of that.

offdee

Footballguy
It's all starting to come together now!

Locked up the Summerlin, NV apartment I wanted today....the same one that I almost pulled the trigger on while I was there 2 weeks ago, but decided to ease up and let it play itself out a bit. I watched the price drop little by little each day it didn't get rented over the course of those 2 weeks with a big drop last night... so went for it today. In just 2 weeks time I'm paying $400 less per month in rent than if I would've jumped on it when I was there. That's crazy.

Because of that negotiating power and knowing they needed it filled, I locked in that price on a 14 month lease (they were proposing 7 months two weeks ago), December rent is waived, and all the application admin fees waived. The way it all shook out, I'm now getting this for basically the same price as a downtown Milwaukee luxury apartment would've been if I stayed here.

My summary email to them so all in writing...

For my current apartment in Milwaukee, my cousin has agreed to take over my lease starting Jan 1st (for her to move while her house is being remodeled). So will only be on the hook to pay double rent for 1 month (Nov) since I'm getting my Vegas rent waived for the month of December.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Last edited:

offdee

Footballguy
Got the timing all figured out now. Will start the drive on 10/17 and do 6 hrs per day for 4 days (and crash at motels for 3 nights). Gets me officially in Vegas on 10/20.

All my stuff in the PODS will arrive 10/21-10/26 window. So will just pack my car full of all clothes and a blow up mattress and just live in my new apt like a broke college kid for a few days.

AAABatteries

Footballguy
Is your dog an actual ESA or are you required to register it as that to have them at the new apartment? If an ESA, do you mind me asking what it’s for?

Good luck on the move!

AAABatteries

Footballguy
Only 6 hours of driving a day?? :confused: Are you planning to work from the road? 8 hours makes it 3 days and I’d do 2 days of 12 hours myself. :shuked:

offdee

Footballguy
Is your dog an actual ESA or are you required to register it as that to have them at the new apartment? If an ESA, do you mind me asking what it’s for?

Good luck on the move!

He's an actual ESA now! lol, no he's not any kind of emotional support dog at all, but when I was at the apartment in Vegas trying to talk them down in price the woman gave me a "wink wink" if you register your dog as an ESA online then they are required to not charge the extra $50 per month. I asked them to waive the pet fees to help me out and that was her way of compromising on it.

It was literally $42 and 5 mins filling out the simplest online form and it was done. Got the official card for my wallet about a week later. Wish I knew this trick a couple years ago when I moved into my new apartment. I'm not sure but also think that allows him to possibly fly on flights for free? Would have to look into that.

offdee

Footballguy
Only 6 hours of driving a day?? :confused: Are you planning to work from the road? 8 hours makes it 3 days and I’d do 2 days of 12 hours myself. :shuked:
Yeah, if I can make it faster than I will, just wanting the drive to be somewhat enjoyable and not a complete grind. I tend to get sleepy easy when I drive and will also have my dog who's not the greatest of car passengers...has a little driving anxiety.... so just being cautious. And yes, will work a little bit during my pit stops.

I have no true date that I NEED to be in Vegas by so if I get there earlier or later than it's all good.

Major

Footballguy

Good luck on the move!

He's an actual ESA now! lol, no he's not any kind of emotional support dog at all, but when I was at the apartment in Vegas trying to talk them down in price the woman gave me a "wink wink" if you register your dog as an ESA online then they are required to not charge the extra $50 per month. I asked them to waive the pet fees to help me out and that was her way of compromising on it.

It was literally $42 and 5 mins filling out the simplest online form and it was done. Got the official card for my wallet about a week later. Wish I knew this trick a couple years ago when I moved into my new apartment. I'm not sure but also think that allows him to possibly fly on flights for free? Would have to look into that.

Nice. I do get a laugh at folks acting like their ESAs are actual service dogs and have some sort of privilege when there's really no training involved. Taking them into restaurants etc with some little vest they bought on Amazon and causing a scene if asked to leave. Pretty sure the airlines know the difference and if they allow them, you'll definitely have to pay up.

offdee

Footballguy

Good luck on the move!

Nice. I do get a laugh at folks acting like their ESAs are actual service dogs and have some sort of privilege when there's really no training involved. Taking them into restaurants etc with some little vest they bought on Amazon and causing a scene if asked to leave. Pretty sure the airlines know the difference and if they allow them, you'll definitely have to pay up.

Yeah I don’t plan on abusing it in public, but if spending $40 saves me a couple grand then I’m on it.

ChiefD

Footballguy

Good luck on the move!

Yeah I don’t plan on abusing it in public, but if spending $40 saves me a couple grand then I’m on it.
Yeah, this is an allowable use of the designation. Now, if you make a Tik Tok video bragging about it after you move in we shall pile on appropriately.

offdee

Footballguy
How much does it cost for ESA to fly?

Will I have to pay? Yes. To bring a pet in the cabin, the cost ranges from $99 each way on Frontier to $125 on American, Delta, United and JetBlue. Dog must be similar size to a baby and in a designated crate on the floor the entire flight. Jan 14, 2021

Terminalxylem

Footballguy
Not a fan of gaming the system, as you’re supposed to be disabled (from psychiatric illness) to qualify for an emotional support animal. And FTR, many states agree:
States that have passed laws criminalizing the misrepresentation of service and assistance animals include Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington State.

offdee

Footballguy
Not a fan of gaming the system, as you’re supposed to be disabled (from psychiatric illness) to qualify for an emotional support animal. And FTR, many states agree:
States that have passed laws criminalizing the misrepresentation of service and assistance animals include Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington State.

I’m not really gaming anything when the system literally told me to do it. And he’s registered in Wisconsin, not on the list. Lol

Last edited:

Terminalxylem

Footballguy

I’m not really gaming anything when the system literally told me to do it.
I could provide many examples of laws you’d not break based on recommendations from administrative assistants for your future landlord, but I’ll assume you understand the “system” is a lot more than the apartment’s front desk.

Just realize there are sometimes downstream consequences for breaking established rules. And you already saved a bunch of money. Why not just pony up the pet fee?

offdee

Footballguy

I could provide many examples of laws you’d not break based on recommendations from administrative assistants for your future landlord, but I’ll assume you understand the “system” is a lot more than the apartment’s front desk.

Just realize there are sometimes downstream consequences for breaking established rules. And you already saved a bunch of money. Why not just pony up the pet fee?

Saved a lot of money is relative. I’m literally still going to be paying $1,000 more per month than what I do now.

Terminalxylem

Footballguy

Saved a lot of money is relative. I’m literally still going to be paying $1,000 more per month than what I do now.
You saved more than the pet fees you’re circumventing. And you knew you’d be paying more than WI, for the privilege of living somewhere far more desirable.

offdee

Footballguy
Random moving question: I need to get boxes to start packing things up. Where's the best place to get moving boxes for a decent price?

Zow

Footballguy
I'm calling it now: His 2nd lease is in Henderson

I highly doubt it. I would never want to be that close to the Strip. And I’ve not heard great things about Henderson while visiting, and heard nothing but positive about Summerlin.

There was some rain while I was there and Henderson was flooded out and power lost. Summerlin looked like it hardly sprinkled. The infrastructure in Henderson is F’d I guess.

Everyone instantly said “if you’re gonna live somewhere in Vegas, and can afford it, Summerlin is where you want to be”
Agree Summerlin is superior, but frankly Henderson is nice, too. It listed as #1 in the nation for adult and family recreation some time ago.

I used to play baseball, flag football, golf tournaments, and a **** ton of softball in the Henderson area. IIRC you played QB for Whitewater (notable to me because I am a Johnnie), so if sports are still your thing let me know. I may still have connections there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread