What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Ray Lewis Wins The Super Bowl MVP (1 Viewer)

Limp Ditka

Footballguy
Flashback
The Super Bowl's Most Valuable Player Ray Lewis isn't going to California's Disneyland or to Florida's Disney World, but his Ravens quarterback, Trent Dilfer, is. Reports say that Dilfer got the nod from the Walt Disney Company to star in its well-known "I'm going to Disney World" (or, for those west of the Rocky Mountains, "I'm going to Disneyland") TV ads. Usually the honor goes to the game's MVP, but Lewis's brush with the law last year is being viewed by some as making him not terribly appealing to the family-oriented Disney people. The Baltimore star linebacker was charged with murder in the stabbing deaths of two men outside an Atlanta nightclub after last year's Super Bowl game. The murder charges were later dropped, but Lewis, as a witness to the killings, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice and admitted that he lied to police. Without mentioning Lewis, a Disney spokesman told the New York Post that Dilfer's history of being dropped by one team, starting the season as a backup and then going on to lead his team to a 34-7 victory over the New York Giants last Sunday in Tampa "is a real Cinderella story. And we love Cinderella stories."

There is a 0.1 % shot Ray Lewis wins Super Bowl MVP if Baltimore wins. While still solid, he is living off reputation at this point. He is not even the best ILB on his team. There are several defenders on that team that are more integral to that D.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a 0.1 % shot Ray Lewis wins Super Bowl MVP if Baltimore wins. While still solid, he is living off reputation at this point. He is not even the best ILB on his team. There are several defenders on that team that are more integral to that D.
Yeah, but don't underestimate voters giving it to him if they win a low-scoring defensive game, just so the media can then go on and on about Lewis not only winning the Super Bowl in his last game, but being the MVP of the game. The media is not above voting to serve their own purposes.

Ray's been credited with 44 tackles, 25 solo in 3 playoff games.Those are the numbers of a player that has 0.1% chance of winning the SB MVP?I think not, pal.

If Baltimore wins, I'm guessing Lewis's chance of being MVP is at least two orders of magnitude greater than what you're estimating. Members of the media absolutely will consider him if he plays well in a win. Obviously if Flacco goes off for 350/3 or if Suggs has a FF+FR in a critical situation then that changes things, but if nobody really stands out, Lewis has as good a shot as anybody.

Ray Lewis was credited with 5 tackles, 3 solo in Super Bowl XXXV. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no tackles for loss, won MVPBut he has 0.1% chance of winning it this year. :lmao:

1) 44 tackles with 25 solo through the playoffs and .1% chance?2) Define several please3) How much dope have you smoked today?

1. I stick by my .01 % chance. We will see if the Ravens win.2. Ed Reed, Hloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Dannell Elerbe (Yes, Ray Lewis is not even the most valuable ILB on this team).And just for the record, I believe Ray Lewis is the best MLB in the history of the game.

1. I stick by my .01 % chance. We will see if the Ravens win.2. Ed Reed, Hloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Dannell Elerbe (Yes, Ray Lewis is not even the most valuable ILB on this team).And just for the record, I believe Ray Lewis is the best MLB in the history of the game.
It's playoff/Super Bowl time. Ray Lewis is playing lights out during the right time.

It's playoff/Super Bowl time. Ray Lewis is playing lights out during the right time.
Honest question. What are you basing "lights out" on? Number of tackles. The fact Baltimore won the AFC Championship?

And if the Ravens win and Lewis gets the game MVP, you'll still be right.

Since 1980 there have been 33 Super Bowl MVPs. 29 of those have been offensive players and 19 have been QBs. So let's set as the baseline the probability that a defensive player wins MVP as something like 12%.Of the four defensive winners, one had two INTs thrown straight to him, one had Trent Dilfer at QB, one had Brad Johnson at QB, and one was on possibly the greatest defense of all time. The odds that Lewis gets two INTs are almost nil, Flacco is way better than Dilfer or Johnson, and the 2012 Ravens are not anywhere near the greatest defense of all time. There's not likely to be a defensive MVP, and if there is one, it's not likely to be Lewis. 0.1% might be a bit low but 1% is probably about right, in the case of a Ravens win. (You decide how likely that is and divide 1% by that amount).

You're using logic that doesn't really factor into how the media votes. If the Ravens win and the defense plays well there is a very good chance they'll give him the award whether he deserves it or not.

You're using logic that doesn't really factor into how the media votes. If the Ravens win and the defense plays well there is a very good chance they'll give him the award whether he deserves it or not.
How about this. Ravens win 10-3. (Bernard Pierce scores the td and has 4 carries for 6 yards). Lewis has 10 tackles, no sacks, no INTs. Ed Reed has 2 INTs. Terrel Suggs has 2 sacks. You think Lewis wins?I guess, as the previous poster mentioned, it is possible. Lewis' stats were hardly lights out when he won the defensive MVP. I raise his odds to .2%

1. I stick by my .01 % chance. We will see if the Ravens win.

2. Ed Reed, Hloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Dannell Elerbe (Yes, Ray Lewis is not even the most valuable ILB on this team).

And just for the record, I believe Ray Lewis is the best MLB in the history of the game.
Are you aware of the fact that the super bowl MVP is (theoretically) for the person who was most instrumental in that one game, not over the course of the entire season? Because the fact that Elerbe is a beter LB right now -- in your view -- is pretty much irrelevant to whether Lewis will be named MVP.

1. I stick by my .01 % chance. We will see if the Ravens win.

2. Ed Reed, Hloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs, Dannell Elerbe (Yes, Ray Lewis is not even the most valuable ILB on this team).

And just for the record, I believe Ray Lewis is the best MLB in the history of the game.
Are you aware of the fact that the super bowl MVP is (theoretically) for the person who was most instrumental in that one game, not over the course of the entire season? Because the fact that Elerbe is a beter LB right now -- in your view -- is pretty much irrelevant to whether Lewis will be named MVP.
Yes. I was responding to someone asking who I thought was more integral to the D.

Ray Lewis was credited with 5 tackles, 3 solo in Super Bowl XXXV. No sacks, no forced fumbles, no tackles for loss, won MVPBut he has 0.1% chance of winning it this year. :lmao:
He did cover the entire field that day. All 5 of the tackles he was in on were for a loss or short gain including catching Tiki across the field on a sweep for a gain of 1 and making a tackle after fighting through 2 blockers on a screen pass where no one else was near the play. In addition Lewis had 4 PD in that game and excelled in coverage on backs, TE, and WR. One of the PD was picked off by Sharper when Lewis tipped it in the air. He also had 2 QB hurries in limited opportunities as a pass rusher. Add all that together and the fact that the Giants O was dominated and failed to score a single offense point and you can see why Lewis was MVP.

It depends. If Flacco puts up big numbers, he will get it. If he puts up average numbers and Ray has a couple of stand out plays, he'll get it. More than .01% IMO. Maybe we will have a player win MVP on a losing team for the first time since SB 5 too. :shrug:

I don't think Disney would snub him again. A lot of time has passed. Memories are short.
Yup Disney is looking for players like Lewis to align themselves with, nothing says come to Disney World like Ray Lewis.http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/47958/remembering-the-ray-lewis-controversy

Odds for MVP (Bolded are the ones I would bet on)

Ravens

Joe Flacco (+200)

Ray Lewis (+1000)

Ray Rice (+1000)

Anquan Boldin (+1500)

Torrey Smith (+1500)

Dennis Pitta (+2500)

Ed Reed (+2500)

Bernard Pierce (+5000)

Justin Tucker (+5000)

49ers

Colin Kaepernick (+140)

Frank Gore (+600)

Michael Crabtree (+1000)

NaVorro Bowman (+2500)

Vernon Davis (+2500)

Aldon Smith (+2500)

Justin Smith (+2500)

Patrick Willis (+2500)

David Akers (+5000)

LaMichael James (+5000)

Randy Moss (+5000)

'KellysHeroes said:
If the ravens win, he's getting it.
I'm about 95% certain if the Ravens win Flacco will get MVP. Not because of whatever he does in that game, but because of the ridiculous playoffs he's had. 8 TDs, no picks, beat both Manning and Brady ON THE ROAD. He absolutely deserves that award, even if he throws two picks in the SB but wins.

Doubt he will win, and if he does no Disney.On a side note... can anyone guess who Ray's first sack in the NFL was registered against???http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199610130clt.htm :shock:

'Balco said:
Reed is my favorite Cane of all time, but the guy is living off rep just as much as, if not more than, Lewis at this point. The past couple years, his hitting and tackling have suffered as he's tried to protect himself. He used to actually be a well-rounded safety in addition to being the best playmaking DB of our time. Now, he still diagnoses plays well, but he's more of a "presence" guy than an impact player at this point. Same as Lewis.

'CalBear said:
'Jules Winnfield said:
'Balco said:
Since 1980 there have been 33 Super Bowl MVPs. 29 of those have been offensive players and 19 have been QBs. So let's set as the baseline the probability that a defensive player wins MVP as something like 12%.Of the four defensive winners, one had two INTs thrown straight to him, one had Trent Dilfer at QB, one had Brad Johnson at QB, and one was on possibly the greatest defense of all time. The odds that Lewis gets two INTs are almost nil, Flacco is way better than Dilfer or Johnson, and the 2012 Ravens are not anywhere near the greatest defense of all time. There's not likely to be a defensive MVP, and if there is one, it's not likely to be Lewis. 0.1% might be a bit low but 1% is probably about right, in the case of a Ravens win. (You decide how likely that is and divide 1% by that amount).
Brad Johnson was actually very good that year, and post-season. He was a Pro Bowler.I agree with whoever said if the Ravens win, Flacco gets it. The NFL couldn't possibly be more QB-centric right now. Flacco could hand the ball off 50 times, never throw once, and if the Ravens won, I'd still give him a 40% chance to win the award. I actually expect the NFL to invent more awards like CPOTY and MVP, just so they can give quarterbacks more awards and praise. I'm looking forward to a pro level Jim Thorpe award for best defensive back, won by Tom Brady in 2013.

I don't think Disney would snub him again. A lot of time has passed. Memories are short.
Yup Disney is looking for players like Lewis to align themselves with, nothing says come to Disney World like Ray Lewis.http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/47958/remembering-the-ray-lewis-controversy
So the link proves that he was overcharged by he DA, no witnesses except an ex con that was promised immunity could testify that Lewis was at the scene, that he plead and was punished to what he actual did wrong. I'm not sure what the link was supposed to convey.

Im actually tired of Lewis and can't wait for him to retire all he talks about is god this and god that yet we are supposed to forget he was involved in a double murder but who knows maybe god made him do that also. I can't believe a thread is about how poor Ray didnt get a free trip to disney last SB the year after the murders. Lewis should be more then happy just to be playing football and being free instead of his weekly look at me antics and I'm sure he can buy a trip to disney.

'KellysHeroes said:
If the ravens win, he's getting it.
I'm about 95% certain if the Ravens win Flacco will get MVP. Not because of whatever he does in that game, but because of the ridiculous playoffs he's had. 8 TDs, no picks, beat both Manning and Brady ON THE ROAD. He absolutely deserves that award, even if he throws two picks in the SB but wins.
Well the SB MVP is for just that game not the playoffs and you can't discount the impact of Raystrong.I recall talking to people before the Colts vs Ravens game and many of them fearing the Colts, they were afraid to go against this Chuckstrong momentum. I said at the time it was nonsense,that the Ravens were the better team and that Ray Lewis had brilliantly killed any advantage Chuckstrong might have given the Colts by creating the Ravens rallying point of their own with his well timed retirement announcement.

I can't believe how many posts have been made in this thread without mention of this video:http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/5895/Disney-s-Ray-of-Light-Ray-Lewis-TV-Funhouse/

I need need NEEEEED a Super Bowl jersey, and they are ####in' expensive on NFL Shop.com (and they don't have the one I want.) I was wondering if any of the local stores have a website that's legit, or if any of you have a favorite place to order this kind of stuff.what do you think of this identical pictures

http://www.weiketrade.hk/Product/Pro8198.Html

:confused: Your calculations are next to useless in predicting this game's MVP. How many of those prior defenses had the best player to ever put on that team's uniform playing in his last game? 0

You see the occassional article written about it still, but when was the last time ESPN or any of the major networks made Lewis out to be anything other than a football god? I imagine anyone who made reference to those allegations on the air would be fired. I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean fans have forgotten about it, but I think enough of them have that Disney would feel comfortable having him.

You see the occassional article written about it still, but when was the last time ESPN or any of the major networks made Lewis out to be anything other than a football god? I imagine anyone who made reference to those allegations on the air would be fired. I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean fans have forgotten about it, but I think enough of them have that Disney would feel comfortable having him.
And who owns ESPN? Disney has no problem glorifying this guy, murderer or not. It all comes down to which entities of their company they want him associated with.

Users who are viewing this thread