What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Ricky is worth a 2nd rounder . . . (1 Viewer)

T Man

Footballguy
There has been a lot said about the Dolphins trading Ricky for a 2nd rounder if he gets past the hearing without a suspension. Denver is deemed to be the likely trading partner.

While I think Ricky is an elite RB, he is one strike away from suspension and certainly has other issues -- ability just isn't one of them.

But for those who think Ricky is worth a 2nd rounder, what is TJ worth? Rumors were that the COlts were interested for a third rounder.

He is a former top 10 pick who underperformed for the Cardinals. HE looked good towards the end of his stay with the Bucs, and has performed extremely well for the BEars. He too is cheap ($2 million).

Is he worth a 2nd?

Thomas Jones is worth considerably more than Ricky Williams. I would say Thomas Jones is worth a 2nd round pick and RW is worth a 4th round best (and I still feel I am reaching here).

:deadhorse:

Anyone who thinks Ricky is only worth a 2nd day pick is vastly understating the importance of the fact that he comes with a contract that pays him ~600,000 this year.

I have no idea how much T Jones' contract pays him this year, but if it is 600,000, then I'd say he'd be worth about the same amount as RW is worth in a trade -- a 3rd or 4th round pick.

OTOH, anyone who thinks Miami will get a 2nd rounder for him is dreaming.

I think he is worth a 3rd or 4th round (by worth, I mean what the Dolphins will get offered for him in a trade) draft pick, and it is because of this that I hope Miami keeps him.

Do you know of any team that would give a 2nd rounder for Rastas?

3rd rounder, tops, and probably later in the round, at that. His contract situation may be lucrative, but his personal behavior history & the number of strikes for drugs lowers his value a ton.

Anyone who thinks Ricky is only worth a 2nd day pick is vastly understating the importance of the fact that he comes with a contract that pays him ~600,000 this year.
I agree. A second may be more then someone is willing to pay, but Ricky is worth it. A third may be the more likely amount -- if the Dolphins accept.
I have no idea how much T Jones' contract pays him this year, but if it is 600,000, then I'd say he'd be worth about the same amount as RW is worth in a trade -- a 3rd or 4th round pick.
TJ has 2 years left on his contract. $2 million this year and $2.25 next. Both good values for a good RB.

Surprisingly, this comes from a Dolphins fan.

Thomas Jones is worth considerably more than Ricky Williams. I would say Thomas Jones is worth a 2nd round pick and RW is worth a 4th round best (and I still feel I am reaching here).
I'm in complete agreement.

Thomas Jones couldn't hold Ricky's jock in terms of talent.
To be honest, neither can Ronnie Brown. But talent is not the issue in regards to Ricky Williams. That is why the Dolphins have been hot-to-trot to move him since he returned and why they are not getting a lot of interest.And after the draft this weekend there will be considerably less interest in Rick and come this time next year he will be 30.

To be honest, neither can Ronnie Brown. But talent is not the issue in regards to Ricky Williams. That is why the Dolphins have been hot-to-trot to move him since he returned and why they are not getting a lot of interest.And after the draft this weekend there will be considerably less interest in Rick and come this time next year he will be 30.
Link?

Link?
:unsure: I thought it was pretty common knowledge. I recall last year Dolphin fans speculating if they could trade Williams to Minnesota.

Ricky Williams ain't worth a first-day pick, imo. Yeah, he's got one cheap year, but I don't think he'll produce much. The guy is down to what, 175 lbs? Sorry, but a mentally ill RB who smokes a lot of herb (bad for people with depression) and doesn't seem to want to play football very much is NOT worth a first-day pick.

Thomas Jones for a 3? Yeah, that's about right.

Link?
:unsure: I thought it was pretty common knowledge. I recall last year Dolphin fans speculating if they could trade Williams to Minnesota.
I'm sorry, I thought when you said the Dolphins were hot to trot to trade him that you meant the Dolphins organization (ie Nick Saban, etc)... I didn't know you were talking about Dolphin fans speculating on a MB or beat writers speculating in a column ;)

Link?
I'm sorry, I thought when you said the Dolphins were hot to trot to trade him that you meant the Dolphins organization (ie Nick Saban, etc)... I didn't know you were talking about Dolphin fans speculating on a MB or beat writers speculating in a column ;)
Fair enough.

Wasn't the asking price for Edge or Alexander last year a 2nd round draft pick? There were no takers then.

Wasn't the asking price for Edge or Alexander last year a 2nd round draft pick? There were no takers then.
Because they were asking for HUGH contracts. Ricky is in the last year of his contract that pays him something like 600,000 this year.HUGE difference.

Because they were asking for HUGH contracts. Ricky is in the last year of his contract that pays him something like 600,000 this year.HUGE difference.
:shock: Ricky being in the last year of his contract does not help the case, regardless of how little it is. One of two assumptions have to be made by trading team:

1) Do we only want him for 1 year at 600,000 and is a 2nd round pick worth this?

2) If we want him more than the current year, we'll have to give him a new fat contract.

I think he is worth a 3rd or 4th round (by worth, I mean what the Dolphins will get offered for him in a trade) draft pick, and it is because of this that I hope Miami keeps him.
He's not going to play for that contract if he's traded. He'll no longer be on the hook for the signing bonus and he would most likely ask for a new contract or retire.

Ricky is also one doobie away from a 1 year suspension, and has been known to bail on his team to go meditating in Tibet after the draft.HUGE difference.

:shock: Ricky being in the last year of his contract does not help the case, regardless of how little it is. One of two assumptions have to be made by trading team:

1) Do we only want him for 1 year at 600,000 and is a 2nd round pick worth this?

2) If we want him more than the current year, we'll have to give him a new fat contract.
Exactly. :goodposting:

Link?
No link, but Randy Mueller is the GM of the Dolphins and he was the guy who drafted Deuce in the 1st round and traded Ricky to the Dolphins. After Ricky "retired" he was vocal about what he thought of Ricky, not much of it good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think denver just takes DeAngelo at 15. No need for a 3 strike player on your team.
I've asked this before, but what the hell, I'll ask again.Why in the Seven Hells would DEN burn a 1st rounder to draft into their strength (the running game, which they have proven can be state of the art in the NFL with less than stud talent at RB), when they have never burned a 1st rounder on a RB in Shanahan's history, and when they have huge needs at DE & WR, and a mid-round 1st rounder for a team that was one game away from the SB last year?

Thinking DEN will go RB in the 1st no matter who is there at #15 goes against history, definitive need, and common sense.

He's not going to play for that contract if he's traded. He'll no longer be on the hook for the signing bonus and he would most likely ask for a new contract or retire.
Good point.Well, I even said that the people saying he'd fetch a 2nd rounder were dreaming. So, maybe Denver doesn't even offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

I still think (and hope) that Miami doesn't trade him for a 2nd day pick. Let him play for us for his last season in the NFL and earn 600,000...

Link?
No link, but Randy Mueller is the GM of the Dolphins and he was the guy who drafted Deuce in the 1st round and traded Ricky to the Dolphins. After Ricky "retired" he was vocal about what he thought of Ricky, not much of it good.
Nick Saban has had nothing but positive things to say about Ricky. In fact, one of the 1st things he did when he was hired as head coach was to go out of his way to state publicly that he would be open to Ricky coming back and playing for Miami and that he wanted to open up a line of communication with Ricky. Saban was instrumental in RW coming back to play this past year for Miami.And I'm pretty sure that Saban pulls rank over Mueller...

Link?
Nick Saban has had nothing but positive things to say about Ricky. In fact, one of the 1st things he did when he was hired as head coach was to go out of his way to state publicly that he would be open to Ricky coming back and playing for Miami and that he wanted to open up a line of communication with Ricky. Saban was instrumental in RW coming back to play this past year for Miami.And I'm pretty sure that Saban pulls rank over Mueller...
What else is he going to say?

Link?
Saban was just a rookie head coach who didn't want to ruin the relationship/trade value of the team's best offensive player. The situation is different now.

I agree the asking price makes a big difference.THe fact that Ricky is in the last year of his contract means its the last chance the Dolphins can get something from him -- unless he is a more valuable commodity backing up Ronnie.

With the Dolphins possibly challenging for the division, I think it is a good argument to make that he is worth more then a third rounder; and unless a 2nd rounder comes along he is more valuable to the Dolphins. The same can be said for TJ - even if he ultimately serves as a backup to Benson. An injury to the starter would not kill their respective seasons.

However, if the Dolphins have "a lot of holes" and they are "rebuilding" while contending, the draft pick may prove more valuable then Ricky's services for just one more year.

Link?
Saban was just a rookie head coach who didn't want to ruin the relationship/trade value of the team's best offensive player. The situation is different now.
So Saban has hinted that he wants to trade Ricky?Because that would be news to me..

Only thing I've seen is rumors so far...

I agree the asking price makes a big difference.THe fact that Ricky is in the last year of his contract means its the last chance the Dolphins can get something from him -- unless he is a more valuable commodity backing up Ronnie.

With the Dolphins possibly challenging for the division, I think it is a good argument to make that he is worth more then a third rounder; and unless a 2nd rounder comes along he is more valuable to the Dolphins. The same can be said for TJ - even if he ultimately serves as a backup to Benson. An injury to the starter would not kill their respective seasons.

However, if the Dolphins have "a lot of holes" and they are "rebuilding" while contending, the draft pick may prove more valuable then Ricky's services for just one more year.
:goodposting:

Link?
So Saban has hinted that he wants to trade Ricky?Because that would be news to me..

Why would anyone ever hint that they want to trade someone? That's one way to ruin a player's trade value: announce to the world that you're trying to move him.

Link?

Saban knows that Ricky's trade value is zero.

I think everyone knows that, except for a few Dolphins fans.EDIT: Not literally "zero," but certainly not a first day pick. I don't want to hear it from you guys if he's moved for a 6th round pick or something.

Good point.Well, I even said that the people saying he'd fetch a 2nd rounder were dreaming. So, maybe Denver doesn't even offer a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

I still think (and hope) that Miami doesn't trade him for a 2nd day pick. Let him play for us for his last season in the NFL and earn 600,000...
I think people are delusional if they think Ricky will play on another team for $600k.

Link?

Why would anyone ever hint that they want to trade someone? That's one way to ruin a player's trade value: announce to the world that you're trying to move him.
Happens all the time actually...Vikings announced Culpepper was on the market.

All the time you hear about Team X has given Player Y permission to seek a trade with other teams. Haven't the Packers done this with Walker.

I haven't heard anything for Saban, or Mueller for that matter, saying that they are giving Ricky permission to seek a trade or that they are interested in trading Ricky either before or after all of this drug test mess.

All I've heard is rumors and speculation from fans and newspaper columnists..

All I'm saying is in ANY of these stories or rumors, has anything been said to have been from Dolphin sources??

Link?

All the time you hear about Team X has given Player Y permission to seek a trade with other teams. Haven't the Packers done this with Walker.

I haven't heard anything for Saban, or Mueller for that matter, saying that they are giving Ricky permission to seek a trade or that they are interested in trading Ricky either before or after all of this drug test mess.

All I'm saying is in ANY of these stories or rumors, has anything been said to have been from Dolphin sources??
I'm agreeing with you that the Dolphins aren't trading Ricky, however you seem to think it's because the Dolphins don't want to when in fact it's that no one would give anything for him.

I think denver just takes DeAngelo at 15. No need for a 3 strike player on your team.
I've asked this before, but what the hell, I'll ask again.Why in the Seven Hells would DEN burn a 1st rounder to draft into their strength (the running game, which they have proven can be state of the art in the NFL with less than stud talent at RB), when they have never burned a 1st rounder on a RB in Shanahan's history, and when they have huge needs at DE & WR, and a mid-round 1st rounder for a team that was one game away from the SB last year?

Thinking DEN will go RB in the 1st no matter who is there at #15 goes against history, definitive need, and common sense.
not really my point, but If they want a runner, That's who they should get, with that 1st rounder. i dont think it's a burn of the pick either. Deangelo has a shot to be great. If they are happy with Bell and Dayne they won't take one until later.

And they are not gonna get Ricky Will.

Not according to a bunch of Bronco fans.. According to them, Ricky would be a lock to get 2,000 yards in that offense and, along with Javon Walker could be enough to get that team over the hump...You are right though, Ricky's trade value has dropped a lot since the Denver FO leaked the confidential information about Ricky's alleged drug policy violation to the media...

I'm agreeing with you that the Dolphins aren't trading Ricky, however you seem to think it's because the Dolphins don't want to when in fact it's that no one would give anything for him.
The two aren't mutually exclusive.I'm maintaining that there are plenty of teams that would be willing to give Miami a 4th round pick for Ricky (I know I said 3rd or 4th originally before I considered what you posted about Ricky wanting to restructure if he were traded to another team), but that Miami is not interested in trading him for that price.

Someone please explain to me how a "never has been" like Maurice Clarrett is worth a 3rd rounder but Ricky is not worth a 2nd rounder.

Someone polease explain to me how a "never has been" like Maurice Clarrett is worth a 3rd rounder but Ricky is not worth a 2nd rounder.
I'll take Shannahan ###### up for $1,000

Link?

This happens to players that want out or are forced out, not players who are traded solely for the sake of improving the team.I'm fairly certain the Vikings would rather have a happy Culpepper on the team right now than the 2nd round pick they had to settle for.

Someone please explain to me how a "never has been" like Maurice Clarrett is worth a 3rd rounder but Ricky is not worth a 2nd rounder.
The draft is all about potential. Always has been, always will be. NFL management hates to trade away potential.Plus, being able to find a stud in the draft anywhere after the top 10-12 picks, or two or three starters out of the same year, means that you're going to be in a cap friendly situation for a few years with those guys.

Do you seriously not know the difference?

Not according to a bunch of Bronco fans.. According to them, Ricky would be a lock to get 2,000 yards in that offense and, along with Javon Walker could be enough to get that team over the hump...You are right though, Ricky's trade value has dropped a lot since the Denver FO leaked the confidential information about Ricky's alleged drug policy violation to the media...
Exactly...

The two aren't mutually exclusive.I'm maintaining that there are plenty of teams that would be willing to give Miami a 4th round pick for Ricky (I know I said 3rd or 4th originally before I considered what you posted about Ricky wanting to restructure if he were traded to another team), but that Miami is not interested in trading him for that price.
Just like I don't see teams lining up for Onterrio, there aren't teams lining up for Ricky. To be traded, he'd at least want a contract worth several million. Maybe the money would be fine to someone but no one will want to give him that money and give up a pick for a guy who had to appeal a positive drug test just to not get suspended for the whole year.

:goodposting: All this talk of 2nd rounders is based on assumptions made by fans (particularly those on this board) who see that the Broncos got an extra 2nd rounder after that deal with San Fran. Truth of the matter is that we have no idea what the Broncos will offer. If I had to guess it would be a 4th rounder straight up or a 3rd rounder for Ricky and a day 2 pick from this year or next.

TJones >> Ricky in so many ways both talent and as for what he does for your team and respect to other team mates.

Users who are viewing this thread