What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If The Dolphins Can't Trade Ricky Williams ... (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Ricky in the off-season. Ronnie Brown is a legitmate talent, but the marketplace wasn't kind to RBs last off-season and it may not be any better this off-season which means the Dolphins could be better off keeping Williams rather than just giving him away. Assuming they do, I believe you can make a strong argument that Ricky should be the starter and primary RB with Brown the 3rd-down/change-of-pace RB. While Brown slumped down the stretch, Williams heated up and finished in very impressive fashion: Week 17: 28-108-1 (another TD was called back by a penalty)Week 16: 26-172-1Week 15: 14-70-1He also finished the season with 5 TDs in his last six games. Brown, meanwhile, failed to top 60 yards rushing in his last six games and scored only 1 TD in his final nine games.Saban was fond of using the RBBC situation and it was effective, but if Williams stays with the team next season, I think he needs to give strong consideration to giving the starting job to Ricky Williams. Based on how the two RBs performed this season when both were on the active roster, I think a strong argument can be made that Williams has earned the starting job.

He showed he's the best back in Miami, but he's not going to start because the other guy was drafted #2 overall. You just don't bench guys like that unless you are San Diego.

We haven't lost in over a month...Why fix what ain't broken?Bring em both back and go RBBC again.9-7 with no QB makes Nick Saban a god to me.

We haven't lost in over a month...

Why fix what ain't broken?

Bring em both back and go RBBC again.

9-7 with no QB makes Nick Saban a god to me.
:goodposting: Ricky doesn't make a lot of money, the RBBC worked really well this year, and even if they wanted to trade him the Dolphins wouldn't get much in return for him. You can never have enough depth in the NFL. Bring him back.

He showed he's the best back in Miami, but he's not going to start because the other guy was drafted #2 overall. You just don't bench guys like that unless you are San Diego.
You do if he gives you the best chance to win.

You do if he gives you the best chance to win.
Yup. There were a few of us who said before the start of the season that by season's end, Williams would prove to be the Dolphins' best RB and I think that was the case. There's no question the RBBC situation worked but if Williams is the team's best RB it may be in Miami's best interest to give him more carries next season and use Brown as the backup/change-of-pace RB. I don't think the Dolphins need to give Ricky 25-30 carries every game - there's no need to do most weeks if Brown is healthy. But if you give him the bulk of the carries and use Brown on third downs and when Williams needs to be spelled it's possible the team will be better off and the offense more effective.

As a Dolphin homer I am still trying to figure out exactly Ricky has shown that he is "THE" best back in Miami......Ricky averaged 4.42 ypcRonnie averaged 4.38 ypcRicky caught 17 for 93Ronnie caught 32 for 232Ricky is a veteranRonnie is a rookie. I am very pleased to see the production from Ricky, but with a lot of the games that I saw, Ronnie would just start to get in a rythm and then Ricky would come in... I would rather see Ronnie be the feature back. If they can keep Ricky on the cheap, cool. If not... trade him and stick with talented youth who has shown that he can play at this level.

As a Dolphin homer I am still trying to figure out exactly Ricky has shown that he is "THE" best back in Miami......

Ricky averaged 4.42 ypc

Ronnie averaged 4.38 ypc

Ricky caught 17 for 93

Ronnie caught 32 for 232

Ricky is a veteran

Ronnie is a rookie.

I am very pleased to see the production from Ricky, but with a lot of the games that I saw, Ronnie would just start to get in a rythm and then Ricky would come in... I would rather see Ronnie be the feature back. If they can keep Ricky on the cheap, cool. If not... trade him and stick with talented youth who has shown that he can play at this level.
Well, he's the best back because he's been given more of an opportunity.The numbers look pretty similar to me...but with an up and coming team...Saban might go with the veteran more often in the backfield, especially if Miami is going to contend next year (and I see no reason why they can't).

Does it matter which is named "starter"? When healthy I imagine it'll be a pretty even split.I highly doubt they'd get decent value for Ricky so why trade him? Having two backs of that caliber is only a good thing. Build up the D and become the modern day Steelers. With rb's like those why would you ever NOT run? Keep whatever Kitna/Frerotte/Dilfer type qb you can find back there and let them manage the game while the rest of your team wins. Not every team should aim for a Manning/Brady.

The biggest problem you'll have next year is one that you didn't have this year. Both men had something to prove in 2005...in 2006, Ricky will have proven that he's back and ready to carry the rock full time for some team, and Brown is no longer a rookie, and will likely make the same demand.I think that Miami is better off trading one of them before a situation develops that will split the team into two camps. Brown probaly has more trade value, but Ricky is the one that'll have to go...for a 2nd if lucky, probably for two mid round picks. It's reality in the NFL...NY Jets if they don't get Bush?

I see no way in hell the Dolphins trade Brown away and again rest their season on half-baked Ricky.
I assume the cap hit would be large.Trading Ricky makes sense, but for what, and who wants him?

It would have to be a contender, one that needs a RB for a pick

Pittsburgh? Would Cowher accept RW? He fits in well style-wise

Baltimore? Perfect fit here. ;)

Denver? :eek:

:bag: the question was if he should start - the answer is RBBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look like Ricky would be a problem to re-sign financially, according to this article off the blogger.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont...ricky_1230.html

If it's not broken, then why fix it. I'm a "Recovering Ricky Hater" just as much as the next Dolphins fan, but the RBBC seems to be working. If they sign Ricky for another year and he has the same positive "team-first" attitude and performs good on the field, then I wouldn't doubt next offseason Miami will be fielding a lot of trade offers. This offseason probably not.

I think Saban has handled this tough situation extremely well. He got the players to accept Ricky back, he got Ricky to perform, and the team has produced more than expected.

BTW, I trade Ricky off all of my teams once he retired... my own personal protest. Ugh. Now I wish I would have been more patient, especially on the team that I drafted R. Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread