What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If the Texans Are Serious About Taking (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Which team takes Reggie Bush?

The Saints even if they have Deuce?

The Titans even though they seem to want a QB?

The Jets even though they have other pressing needs?

The Packers?

The Saints would run, not walk to the podium to take Reggie Bush IMHO.

For what it's worth, Mort was asked this very question and said there's absolutely no question the Saints would grab Bush.

I don't even want to imagine the talk radio/internet blogger crowd freaking over that move. If they took Young at least they'd please some locals but if they went Williams there would be rioting Texans fans in the streets if there are in fact any Texan fans. :P

I don't think this would happen anyway. The Texans would be offered some type of trade. Even if they don't take Bush #1, someone will.

The Saints would jump all over Bush anyway. If the Saints were smart, they would work out a trade themselves with Houston, they would only be moving down one spot. The Saints all ready have Brees. The Saints all ready have offensive linemen. They could use Mario Williams too but not instead of Bush.

Houston would have to be really sold on Williams to do this but in the big picture, moving down one spot, getting the stud they want anyway, and grabbing an extra pick sounds pretty good too.

I think Houston is having their doubts for a couple of reasons:

1. Maybe they don't want to give Bush the money he is going to want, he has to want at least as much as Alex Smith got last year.

2. Maybe they really don't want to give this kind of cash to a guy who isn't an every down back.

3. Maybe they are happy with what they have on offense all ready and would rather get a guy that makes their defense better over a guy that doesn't fill a need.

In my opinion, Bush is going to be a star and he has great character and work ethic but the Texans won't be any better with him or without him because the defense will still suck. Williams is an immediate impact player on defense. The Texans have zero impact players on their defense.

I don't think this would happen anyway. The Texans would be offered some type of trade. Even if they don't take Bush #1, someone will.

The Saints would jump all over Bush anyway. If the Saints were smart, they would work out a trade themselves with Houston, they would only be moving down one spot. The Saints all ready have Brees. The Saints all ready have offensive linemen. They could use Mario Williams too but not instead of Bush.

Houston would have to be really sold on Williams to do this but in the big picture, moving down one spot, getting the stud they want anyway, and grabbing an extra pick sounds pretty good too.

1. Maybe they don't want to give Bush the money he is going to want, he has to want at least as much as Alex Smith got last year.

2. Maybe they really don't want to give this kind of cash to a guy who isn't an every down back.

3. Maybe they are happy with what they have on offense all ready and would rather get a guy that makes their defense better over a guy that doesn't fill a need.

In my opinion, Bush is going to be a star and he has great character and work ethic but the Texans won't be any better with him or without him because the defense will still suck. Williams is an immediate impact player on defense. The Texans have zero impact players on their defense.
I think that Hou is really just going through the motions of exploring every option available. When you have the #1 pick you have to.

I think that Hou is really just going through the motions of exploring every option available. When you have the #1 pick you have to.
I agree but this does raise some red flags. If Houston really wasn't interested in trading, they would be working harder to get a contract done. Bush is going to be expensive.....it always is....... :mellow:

From The News Blogger . . .

Expensive Bush May Be There for Saints

Unflappable back's asking price has Texans exploring optionsø

Thursday, April 20, 2006

By Jimmy Smith

Staff writer

What if, nine days from now, the unthinkable happened?

What if the Houston Texans follow through on the charade they're currently playing and take North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams with the first pick of the draft?

What if, when the Saints are in the clock, USC running back Reggie Bush is still available? Fantasy? Perhaps.

But there are about 30 million reasons why that scenario just might play itself out April 29.

That's the figure, in dollars, Bush's negotiating team apparently threw out in their only round of "contract talks" with the Texans, according to word circulating throughout the draft grapevine the past week or so.

And is it any coincidence that the day after that $30 million dollar figure was mentioned, the Texans had Williams in for a visit?

So Saints fans can sit and wonder for the next week or so what it would be like to see the Heisman Trophy winner wearing black and gold.

What a possibility.

Bush is without doubt the No. 1 prospect in the upcoming draft, a solidly put-together package of speed, strength and elusiveness that has drawn comparisons to Gale Sayers, one of the most thrilling ball carriers in NFL history.

But being the first overall draft pick is something to which Bush has aspired, and something about which he has spoken on numerous occasions.

"Playing in the NFL is a dream for me," Bush said. "Obviously I'd like to be the first pick, but at the same time the team doesn't make a difference to me."

In the months leading to the draft, there has been no question Bush would be the first overall choice. Now money seems to be muddling the situation, more than questions about Bush's height (5 feet 11¾) and weight (fluctuating between 200 and 208 pounds).

Those were the primary concerns about Bush heading into the draft, although he has done everything he could to erase those doubts.

At USC's pro day earlier this month, shirtless Bush displayed the physique of a bodybuilder and the strength to match.

He bench-pressed 225 pounds an impressive 24 times. He also ran 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash, had a vertical jump of 40.5 inches and a standing broad jump of 18 feet 8½ inches.

Yet what he can do with the football is what excites the most.

He can run. He can return kicks. He can catch passes. He can make defenders miss.

Most of all, he can score. Often.

"I like his versatility," said Houston coach Gary Kubiak. "Having a player you can line up all over the place presents a problem for the defense. He can return and catch, and we all know he runs well.

"The good thing about him is that the kid can get touches a lot of ways. He can get touches as a runner, receiver and returner. You don't have to ensure him so many carries. I don't think he'll have any problems getting his hands on the ball."

Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio, whose team, drafting 28th in the first round would have zero chance to see Bush's name still on the board, didn't bother going back to his alma mater to see Bush's pro-day performance.

"No," he said. "I figure I'll get to see Reggie Bush enough this year. Twice a year is plenty."

Yet while Bush seems to possess all the intangibles, the fact that he wasn't on the field every down in the Trojans' Rose Bowl loss to Texas raised concerns about his durability in the NFL and whether he could sustain the punishment of being an every-down back in pro football.

"You never know until you get into a game-time situation," Bush said. "Maybe I wouldn't even be able to know. I know that's something I'm going to work toward, and I'm going to work hard at proving to people that I can be an every-down back. Obviously I want to be in there; if I could, I'd (carry the) ball every play. That's just the competitive nature inside me.

"I always play like I have something to prove, and I think that's what's made me so successful in my career, playing like I have something to prove every day, practicing like I have something to prove every day, working out like I have something to prove every day. I feel like that's what's made me so successful and what I'm going to continue to do."

Bush has traveled the country in recent weeks, meeting with various teams -- he met with the Jets this week, which prevented him from coming to New Orleans for face-to-face contact with the Saints on Tuesday night or Wednesday.

Whether a great running back can be the difference between a contending team and a championship team is open for debate.

If you look at the all-time list of running backs who were the first overall pick, the only modern-day runners who have won a championship are Green Bay's Paul Hornung, the first pick in 1957, and the New York Giants' Kyle Rote, the top pick in 1951.

Since the inception of the Super Bowl, no running back who has been the No. 1 overall pick has been the primary contributor to a team that has won the big one.

The lone exception: George Rogers, the first overall pick by the Saints in 1981 who won a Super Bowl ring with the Washington Redskins near the end of his career.

None of the others -- O.J. Simpson, Ricky Bell, Earl Campbell, Billy Sims, Bo Jackson or Ki-Jana Carter -- played in the Super Bowl.

What will make Bush different?

"I know what I can do," he said. "Know what I mean? I just feel like I can do it. I don't know what happened to the other past running backs and why they weren't successful and what they did, but I know that I'm going to be successful and I won't fail."

The Packers?
:thumbup:

For what it's worth, Mort was asked this very question and said there's absolutely no question the Saints would grab Bush.
I really don't think that's such a no brainer.

We're most likely never going to know one way or the other, but I'm still curious to hear why that may be (other than your Jets homerism clouding your judgement into thinking Bush could fall into your lap at #4 ;) )

Didn't the Saints just sign Michael Lewis to a 3 year deal? Bush certianly wouldn't be a return man for them.Duece signed a 7 year contract extension last year for huge money. The Saints take D'Brick or someone crashes down their door with a trade offer.

Didn't the Saints just sign Michael Lewis to a 3 year deal? Bush certianly wouldn't be a return man for them.Duece signed a 7 year contract extension last year for huge money. The Saints take D'Brick or someone crashes down their door with a trade offer.
If somehow Bush falls past #1, I can see the above happening. I can also see the Saints feeling like they won the lottery in this situation too.

This whole issue is entirely bogus. The compensation for draft picks is essentially predetermined, and the bonus numbers and so forth are entirely predictable and established. The game with the Texans is the same game we've seen every year from every early pick. Pay no attention.

as a texan fan (it's hard), if they pass on bush, it'll be the end of our relationship. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
as a texan fan (it's hard), if they pass on bush, it'll be the end of our relationship. :cry:
Better start shopping for a new team just in case. I am sure there is still room on the Houston Oilers errrrrrrrrrr Tennessee Oilers errrrrrrrrrr Tennessee Tuxedo errrrrrrrrrr Tennessee Titans band wagon

I don't even want to imagine the talk radio/internet blogger crowd freaking over that move. If they took Young at least they'd please some locals but if they went Williams there would be rioting Texans fans in the streets if there are in fact any Texan fans. :P
Wadsworth is that really you?Maybe Houston is smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Maybe they have already decided to take Young. Thus promoting Williams as a decoy. They trade down, get their #1 guy all along.

Will Bush really be used as a return man, where ever he goes? I know he could be the best return guy since Dante Hall, but isn't that alot of wear & tear for someone considered not to be an everydown back? And how many other franchise players are currently returning kicks? The only ones I can think of are a couple receivers like Steve Smith.

Will Bush really be used as a return man, where ever he goes? I know he could be the best return guy since Dante Hall, but isn't that alot of wear & tear for someone considered not to be an everydown back? And how many other franchise players are currently returning kicks? The only ones I can think of are a couple receivers like Steve Smith.
More wear and tear than a running back throwing his body into the center of the line? Bush is a guy that needs to get the ball in space, and on punt returns there is plenty of space to be had.Also, IFRC, Tiki Barber was returning punts a couple of seasons ago.

In an ideal world, I could see the Jets trading up to get Bush, and the Pack trading up to get Mario.

Then the first 5 picks would be:

Bush - NYJ

Mario - GB

Leinart - Tenn

D'Brick - Houst

Hawk - NO

JMO. seems like that would benefit all the teams involved. Houston has more pressing needs to address, and I don't think NO needs DE or OL help as bad. Of course none of this will happen...

In an ideal world, I could see the Jets trading up to get Bush, and the Pack trading up to get Mario.

Bush - NYJ

Mario - GB

Leinart - Tenn

D'Brick - Houst

Hawk - NO

JMO. seems like that would benefit all the teams involved. Houston has more pressing needs to address, and I don't think NO needs DE or OL help as bad. Of course none of this will happen...
I don't think the Pack would trade up to get Mario when they can just hold steady and take Hawk at 5.

IF (and thats a big IF) the Texans DON'T go with Bush, where is Bush's value the greatest this year? Where does he get to put up the best FF numbers?

NO - With Deuce still there and them signing Bennett, what will the situation be like there? If Deuce isn't healthy enough to start the season, will Bush start? What happens when Deuce comes back?

GB - Ahman, Davenport, Gado AND Bush? Will Bush ride the pine there for a year before he gets his chance?

TEN - If Bush ends up here, I think he gets the start over C. Brown.

NYJ - I can't see him starting over Martin this year. Maybe spell him for several carries each game. Would get his chance next year.

DEN - I think they are one of only a few teams who have a chance to buy up and get the pick from Houston. If Bush goes to the Broncos, he will start over anyone they have there now.

IND - Per a story on the blogger, I'd love to see the Colts pull a Ricky Williams type of deal to get Bush. Imagine Bush in Indy! Wow. Doubt it happens though...

Anyone else have a realistic shot? This said, in terms of FF, I think Bush's best chance for a great FF season is with Indy or Denver (but I doubt that these will happen). Next best bet for Bush is Houston.

wouldn't be the first time the Saints took a highly touted running back while they had a top RB on the roster already

There's the key that none of the FFers look at. They see Bush's performance in college, assume that he can do the exact same thing to the pros that he did to the very underwhelming PAC-10 Ds, and drool at the prospect of him.NFL teams look at Bush & certainly see the undeniable talent, but they also see size that might delegate him to RBBC status as well as an enormous price tag that they'll be wed to regarding the salary cap for 5 years most likely. That kind of talk smells of hold-out for a RB who may (or should I say probably) not be capable of being a featured hoss RB, as well as weak teams being hamstrung against the cap & not being able to improve other areas of high need, maybe for years.

Picking Bush may produce a few sportscenter highlight reels, but it may also doom a team to mediocrity or worse for half a decade. And think of the implications if Bush isn't Superman's clone, as some make him out to be, and instead is a steady & solid CoP RB with an occassional homerun and a weak team is burning significant cap room on him.

DEN - I think they are one of only a few teams who have a chance to buy up and get the pick from Houston. If Bush goes to the Broncos, he will start over anyone they have there now.
Chances of this are slim & none, and slim just rode out of town.

link

Former USC tailback Reggie Bush still expects to be the top selection in next week's NFL draft, but Thursday he confirmed widespread reports that the Houston Texans have not opened contract negotiations with him.

"There are some people saying it's because I'm demanding $30million (for a signing bonus), but that's not true," Bush said in a telephone interview. "We haven't talked numbers with them at all.

"Right now it's kind of on them to start negotiations if they want to."

There's the key that none of the FFers look at. They see Bush's performance in college, assume that he can do the exact same thing to the pros that he did to the very underwhelming PAC-10 Ds, and drool at the prospect of him.NFL teams look at Bush & certainly see the undeniable talent, but they also see size that might delegate him to RBBC status as well as an enormous price tag that they'll be wed to regarding the salary cap for 5 years most likely. That kind of talk smells of hold-out for a RB who may (or should I say probably) not be capable of being a featured hoss RB, as well as weak teams being hamstrung against the cap & not being able to improve other areas of high need, maybe for years.

Picking Bush may produce a few sportscenter highlight reels, but it may also doom a team to mediocrity or worse for half a decade. And think of the implications if Bush isn't Superman's clone, as some make him out to be, and instead is a steady & solid CoP RB with an occassional homerun and a weak team is burning significant cap room on him.
:goodposting: The longer I look at the draft, the more I think Mario is the best pick. Bush obivously has more "Upside" tallent, but it's clear to me that Mario will be a pro bowler year in year out. He's can't miss, and there is somthing to be said about that.

:goodposting: The longer I look at the draft, the more I think Mario is the best pick. Bush obivously has more "Upside" tallent, but it's clear to me that Mario will be a pro bowler year in year out. He's can't miss, and there is somthing to be said about that.
There is no such thing as a "can't miss." Love or hate any given player, there's no one that's a lock to disappoint or succeed. There are too many factors (health, system, coaching, mental toughness, focus once a player has financial comfort) that pre-draft film and interviews can't perfectly project.

This happens every year. The team with the first pick plays with the "smoke and mirrors" to get all of us FF nerds talking. They will take Bush.

This happens every year. The team with the first pick plays with the "smoke and mirrors" to get all of us FF nerds talking. They will take Bush.
:lmao: at anyone here who thinks that NFL management even spends one microsecond pondering what we think.

Bush - NYJ

Mario - GB

Leinart - Tenn

D'Brick - Houst

Hawk - NO

nice work, but i'm pretty sure the new collective bargaining agreement wasn't based on communist principles. ;)

IND - Per a story on the blogger, I'd love to see the Colts pull a Ricky Williams type of deal to get Bush. Imagine Bush in Indy! Wow. Doubt it happens though...
not gonna happen, but imo, Bush in Indy would be filthy disgusting. :shock:

With the loads of money McNair has does anyone really give credence to this too much money for Bush story?

It was the only thing they could cook up because there are really no holes in Bush's game. Early on they were going with the 'he cant carry the ball 25+ a game' excuse. Now its money.

Bush to Houston is guaranteed unless the Jets or some other team are giving up this years no. 1 and 2 and next years no.1. Even then I would still hope the Texans take Bush---- Every person in the state will by a Bush Texans jersey.

IMO the only way Houston does not draft Bush is:

They find a trade they like, trade back and get D'Brick. Finding a trade partner will be difficult.

Houston is not talking about D'Brick at all :whistle:

More wear and tear than a running back throwing his body into the center of the line? Bush is a guy that needs to get the ball in space, and on punt returns there is plenty of space to be had.Also, IFRC, Tiki Barber was returning punts a couple of seasons ago.
I'm just saying there's a reason you don't see guys with $30mm contracts running back kicks.

I'm just saying there's a reason you don't see guys with $30mm contracts running back kicks.
why is gaining 30 yards on punt return less important than breaking a 30 yard run on first down? i'm guessing the reason they're not back there is cause they're not any good at it.

why is gaining 30 yards on punt return less important than breaking a 30 yard run on first down? i'm guessing the reason they're not back there is cause they're not any good at it.
Conversely, most of the guys that return kicks are marginal players in other aspects of the game and would barely make the roster otherwise. I bet Vick would be sick running back kicks with his ability to run in open space. But you don't put your franchise player out there to get cremated.

ETA: I'm a poet and didn't know it. :D

No lie. What a monster Brees could become with Reggie carrying the rock. LT all over again! :excited:

Conversely, most of the guys that return kicks are marginal players in other aspects of the game and would barely make the roster otherwise. I bet Vick would be sick running back kicks with his ability to run in open space. But you don't put your franchise player out there to get cremated.

ETA: I'm a poet and didn't know it. :D
you're right, most returners wouldn't be on the roster otherwise.Vick is a bad example though, because 1. he's shown a propensity to getting dinged, and 2. i think you want to have your QB on the sideline during the kick so you can do some last second coaching before the offense goes back in.

to be honest, i'm a bit torn on the issue, but i can see why some teams do it.

Other than Jason Sehorn (in frikkin preseason) I can't remember the last time a returner suffered a serious injury while returning kicks. I also remember that when Sehorn got hurt, a bunch of studies were cited showing that returners are actually much less likely to get hurt than RBs.

Elite offensive players who returned kicks for all or some of their careers included:

Andre Reed

Troy Brown

Santana Moss

Terrance Mathis

Derrick Mason

Tim Brown

Brian Westbrook

Warrick Dunn

I'm sure there are plenty others I've forgotten.

The Packers?
I don't see any way the Saints don't take Bush with the 1st pick. Maybe they will trade him immediately, or maybe they will take a 3rd round pick from teh Saints to move down a spot, but taking anyone else leaves value on the table and that just doesn't make sense. Then again, teams do dumb things all the time

a friend of mine is a houston homer and thinks they should pass on bush and take Mario or Dbrick(not saying to take them at 1.1)

The Texans are doing exactly what they need to do when you have the first pick in the draft: send out feelers to the league regarding what you might or might not do. To lay your cards on the table before you absolutely need to makes no sense. The Texans were the worst team in football last year and they own a valuable commodity for their ineptitude, the #1 overall draft choice. You need to find out what it is worth on the open market before making a decision.

My guess is they will stay at #1 and take Bush, but at the same time if a team makes them an absurd trade offer, they would be smart to drop down 2 or 3 slots.

Them not trading the pick if they don't want Bush doesn't even make sense. Why even discuss it? It has a ton of trade value, so they would take advantage of it and move down if they don't Reggie.

That's like somebody offering me a 65" HD TV for free even though I have a 40" one and me saying no because I already have one.

"Yeah, well that guy over there will give you $2500 for it, scot-free"

"No that's ok, I already have a TV"

Stupid.

Them not trading the pick if they don't want Bush doesn't even make sense. Why even discuss it? It has a ton of trade value, so they would take advantage of it and move down if they don't Reggie.

That's like somebody offering me a 65" HD TV for free even though I have a 40" one and me saying no because I already have one.

"Yeah, well that guy over there will give you $2500 for it, scot-free"

"No that's ok, I already have a TV"

Stupid.
:goodposting:

Bush - NYJ

Mario - GB

Leinart - Tenn

D'Brick - Houst

Hawk - NO

its not a perfect world for the J-E-T-S OR PACK, BECAUSE THEY'D HAVE TO GIVE UP ASSETS TO TRADE UP...if they are both Smart, they both just say no and give up anything when the top five should each be a great value

We're most likely never going to know one way or the other, but I'm still curious to hear why that may be (other than your Jets homerism clouding your judgement into thinking Bush could fall into your lap at #4 ;) )
I don't think there's a chance he falls to #4, but he MAY end up with the Jets.Now that we have Ramsay plus a second 1st Rd pick, QB may not be such a pressing need. Ferguson or, with the loss of Abraham, Williams may be better picks, but C-Mart is getting on in years and health is a concern after last year.

The second first round pick gives us some flexibility in moving up if we so choose...

There is no such thing as a "can't miss." Love or hate any given player, there's no one that's a lock to disappoint or succeed. There are too many factors (health, system, coaching, mental toughness, focus once a player has financial comfort) that pre-draft film and interviews can't perfectly project.
Jason, I understand your point. But Injury can happen to anyone.If Julius Peppers was in this draft, I would take him first overall. I think Mario Williams can be every bit as good as Peppers.

I've been wrong before, but this kid IMHO is the real deal.

Users who are viewing this thread