What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were invited to the White House for dinner with George W Bush, would you go? (1 Viewer)

If you were invited to the White House for dinner with George W Bush, would you go?

• Yes (and I did not support Bush)

Votes: 67 65.7%
  • No (and I did not support Bush)

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Yes (and I did support Bush)

Votes: 27 26.5%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
Let's see if this is a Republican thing....

You get to meet and shake hands with Bush.

And to clarify, all expenses would be paid (airfare, hotel, etc.).

Absolutely.   I put him in the same category as Jimmy Carter. Terrible President, nice guy.  Would love to have a beer with either of them.

Hard to answer that question.

Yes I would go, that part is easy.  

Support?  I did in the past tense.  Voted for him...but that support fizzled as insane what his administration was doing.

And even then I would still go...especially seeing his post presidential life and things he has done.

I didn't like him as President and always thought he was a bit of a moron.  I did gain some respect for him over the years and he does seem like a good guy though.  I would definitely go and have dinner.

I bet one could discuss national policy with W and enjoy it, all the while disagreeing on just about every issue.

Didn't like his politics or performance in office, but I think he might be a blast to hang out with. Definitely would go.

Yeah, I voted for him in 2000 and 2004 and would go, reservations about where that vote led aside. 

I think he is a good man, even if he wasn't one of our greatest presidents.  

Let's see if this is a Republican thing....

You get to meet and shake hands with Bush.

And to clarify, all expenses would be paid (airfare, hotel, etc.).
Absolutely.  I still respect the office.   And being in the White House at the invitation of the President of the United States would be pretty awesome.

I would even call him Mr President and be 100% respectful and all that too.  Sheesh.

Hard to answer that question.

Yes I would go, that part is easy.  

Support?  I did in the past tense.  Voted for him...but that support fizzled as insane what his administration was doing.

And even then I would still go...especially seeing his post presidential life and things he has done.
this.  did not support by the end so voted that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely.  I still respect the office.   And being in the White House at the invitation of the President of the United States would be pretty awesome.

I would even call him Mr President and be 100% respectful and all that too.  Sheesh.
Exactly.

I think the above results are telling. I don't think Trump supporters realize that this isn't a Dem vs Republican thing in general when discussing current politics.

It's that Trump is so unlikable and a conman/criminal that has so many opposing everything about him. I can respect a man like Bush even though I don't agree with his policies nor think he was effective. He at least had decorum and respect for others. He at least tried to do the right thing for what he believed. 

I believe 100% both by words and actions that Trump cares nothing about this country and only about himself and lining his pockets. He's a disgrace to the presidency and I would never want to have anything to do with him in any capacity. 

Exactly.

I think the above results are telling. I don't think Trump supporters realize that this isn't a Dem vs Republican thing in general when discussing current politics.

It's that Trump is so unlikable and a conman/criminal that has so many opposing everything about him. I can respect a man like Bush even though I don't agree with his policies nor think he was effective. He at least had decorum and respect for others. He at least tried to do the right thing for what he believed. 

I believe 100% both by words and actions that Trump cares nothing about this country and only about himself and lining his pockets. He's a disgrace to the presidency and I would never want to have anything to do with him in any capacity. 
Well the thing is, I copied my reply to the "would you go to the white house to meet trump" thread.  My answer is exactly the same.  Yes...Absolutely.  Where do I sign up?

I respect the office...I respect the history of it.  And no single president will affect that!

I disagreed with him on 90% of his policies, but an easy yes. I think he is a good man and would probably be fun to have dinner with. I would try to convince him to change policy ideas in a few places.

Well the thing is, I copied my reply to the "would you go to the white house to meet trump" thread.  My answer is exactly the same.  Yes...Absolutely.  Where do I sign up?

I respect the office...I respect the history of it.  And no single president will affect that!
Even if a President was a complete disgrace to the Presidency?  I'd have to think that there is some line that a person could cross where you wouldn't do it.

Did not vote for him, but i would absolutely have dinner and a beer with the guy. Always thought he was a good man that was woefully equipped to be the President. 

Even if a President was a complete disgrace to the Presidency?  I'd have to think that there is some line that a person could cross where you wouldn't do it.
Yeah.   Like I said..I respect the office.  I don't have to say I like him.   Just be respectful of the position, and the history and the building.  

This.  I'd have dinner with him even if it wasn't at the WH.
On the flip side, I'd never want to have dinner (or any other personal engagement) with Trump. And that's a carryover from before he became President. I always found him loathsome in just about every way possible, no way I'd want to spend time with that guy, regardless of his role or where we'd be.

Like I said in the other thread, I would have dinner at the White House if invited by any president.

But man reading these responses it's incredible what you can get away with when you act folksy and do some paintings in retirement. I wonder how many Iraqis think he's a great guy.

yep no questions asked he seems like a brohan you could have a brewhan with and tell a couple of jokes take that to the bank brochachos

Like I said in the other thread, I would have dinner at the White House if invited by any president.

But man reading these responses it's incredible what you can get away with when you act folksy and do some paintings in retirement. I wonder how many Iraqis think he's a great guy.
He has done a hell of a lot more than that since retirement.

None of you is having a beer with him, since he doesn't drink.

I think what this poll shows more than anything is recency bias. Now that Trump is in the White House, Democrats look back at W and think, "Well, at least he wasn't a total garbage human being." But he was still a pretty awful president.

BTW, I guarantee you Republicans will be doing the same thing with Obama the next time a Democrat is in the White House.

I think what this poll shows more than anything is recency bias. Now that Trump is in the White House, Democrats look back at W and think, "Well, at least he wasn't a total garbage human being." But he was still a pretty awful president.

BTW, I guarantee you Republicans will be doing the same thing with Obama the next time a Democrat is in the White House.
It's more than that. To a lot of people, W was (at the time) the worst POTUS of our adult lifetimes. He just doesn't seem as bad now, and I'm not saying there is no recency bias, but moreso that we didn't realize how bad bad could be. The bar has been lowered, by a lot.

It's more than that. To a lot of people, W was (at the time) the worst POTUS of our adult lifetimes. He just doesn't seem as bad now, and I'm not saying there is no recency bias, but moreso that we didn't realize how bad bad could be. The bar has been lowered, by a lot.
Oh I'm right there with you. You want to really freak yourself out? Imagine a future GOP president so bad he makes us look back fondly on Trump.  :shock:

Oh I'm right there with you. You want to really freak yourself out? Imagine a future GOP president so bad he makes us look back fondly on Trump.  :shock:
Maybe Donald will just become the new measuring stick. "How racist, corrupt and incompetent is Candidate X?" "Oh, about a 45 on the Trump scale."

He was a terrible President, no doubt. Still, I could stomach hanging out at the Whitehouse for an evening with him. Just about every President over the last 90 years has some blood on their hands. If that's the rubric on whether we'd be o.k. with visiting them, we wouldn't visit any of them. I'd have dinner with W just to get him to try and pronounce "nuclear." 

I'd go have dinner with any president.  Like them or not it would make for a memorable evening.  W would be fun.  Bill and Hillary would be awesome, as would the Obamas.  Even DJT would make for a great lifetime story.

Joe started the thread about contempt the other day, and that is what it comes down to for me.

I don’t feel contempt toward W, and I don’t think he would feel contempt toward me.  I, more than often not, disagreed with him politically, but I think he had what, in his head, were the best interests of the country in mind. I don’t think I would change his mind on anything, but I think he would at least listen and we would be able to have a civil dialogue on topics of disagreement.  Probably be on good enough terms that could talk about Sammy Sosa.  

OTOH, I think Trump would feel contempt toward me, and I would feel contempt toward him.  Trump lacks basic empathy.  Unless you are useful to Trump in some way, or adulate him, he has no use for them.  My guess is that he would spend the dinner ranting and raving like he did at CPAC the other day.  If I tried getting in a word to challenge or correct him on anything, he’d probably get annoyed. If I did it a second time, he’d probably leave to go to his bedroom to watch Fox News.

Joe started the thread about contempt the other day, and that is what it comes down to for me.

I don’t feel contempt toward W, and I don’t think he would feel contempt toward me.  I, more than often not, disagreed with him politically, but I think he had what, in his head, were the best interests of the country in mind. I don’t think I would change his mind on anything, but I think he would at least listen and we would be able to have a civil dialogue on topics of disagreement.  Probably be on good enough terms that could talk about Sammy Sosa.  

OTOH, I think Trump would feel contempt toward me, and I would feel contempt toward him.  Trump lacks basic empathy.  Unless you are useful to Trump in some way, or adulate him, he has no use for them.  My guess is that he would spend the dinner ranting and raving like he did at CPAC the other day.  If I tried getting in a word to challenge or correct him on anything, he’d probably get annoyed. If I did it a second time, he’d probably leave to go to his bedroom to watch Fox News.
This is very well said.

Users who are viewing this thread