What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were the GM of the Bucs (1 Viewer)

WELL?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Capella

CAPELLODINHO
**positives**

--maybe the best WR in the league.

--adds to what would be a potentially explosive offense, with Galloway, a healthy Clayton, Alex Smith and Caddy.

--despite being hell to deal with, has been on a winner, and performed in a huge game.

**negatives**

--obviously a locker room cancer.

--may possibly eat Simms alive.

--would likely still demand a big contract, leaving the Bucs in the position to have to cut one of (or two of) Brooks, Barber, Quarles or McFarland (Quarles most likely).

I'm up in the air on this one. The offense clearly needs a boost, and it would be nice to see it happen while the defense is still good enough to win another title. But then again, the man is clearly insane and could wreck what was said to be an excellent locker room this year.

Not sure what the cap hit would be, but the Bucs are likely going to have to part ways with Quarles anyways (or he'll have to go through a major restructure of his contract), which is probably fine since Barrett Ruud is said to be ready for the job next year.

I want another title. Sell your soul Gruden. :shrug:

And a pre-emptive shut up to BigRed, who will surely be in here complaining about this being another TO thread. No BR, I don't know the score from his driveway hoops game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough question. The Bucs already had a SB win recently. I know for me, even with this soap opera season and a 6-10 record, I STILL think signing TO was worth it b/c it got us to the Bowl a season ago.

Well, I think it's unlikely he winds up with the Ravens, but as a buddy of mine and I pondered where he might end up earlier today, I was of the opinion that for this to work, he'd have to be on a team with some strong, veteran personalities on defense who had the cred to at least attempt to lay down the law and keep him in line.Tampa Bay, with Rice, Brooks and Barber certainly fit this category. I'd like to think Miami, with Taylor, Thomas and Madison could fit the bill also (with additional support from guys like Kevin Carter, Junior Seau, Tebucky Jones, Schulters, Holliday, Traylor - boy, that's a list, eh?); and if they found a legitimately consistant player at QB (MIGHT Frerotte be just enough? Not going to happen, but Favre sure would be!!!), it's scary to think what of a 2-pronged running attack featuring both Brown and Williams, along with McMichael, Chambers and T.O., coupled with a veteran-led, Saban-inspired defense might be capable of......likely wishful thinking, but isn't that what this time of year is for?Outside of the Bucs and the Fish, I really can't think of another team that could fit the bill?Still think Shanny's going to give it a whirl when it all comes down to it, though...would Lynch and Al Wilson be enough muscle? Can Rod Smith get through to him? I'm not too sure about that.

I believe any team that needs a #1WR that can change the scope of their offense, and has the talent at QB to use him should take a run at him.I think a team like San Diego or Denver or TB could tell Drew they are willing to trade for TO if he is willing to play under his current deal for 2 years with some added incentives for behavior and team success. Both TO and Drew know they have 1 more shot at success, if TO melts down again its over.

I think Michael Clayton is a huge talent and will bounce back next year. TO would not only be the same cancer he was in Philly, he would hurt the development of one of the league's more talented, younger WR's. They'd be better off improving the offensive line.

tony dungy is a great man, a great head coach and he won - and look what happened to him in tampa. the same thing will happen to gruden in two years if he doesn't get that team "over the hump" againgruden and company should make it happen - bring TO in and try and win it all again

tony dungy is a great man, a great head coach and he won - and look what happened to him in tampa. the same thing will happen to gruden in two years if he doesn't get that team "over the hump" again
I disagree 100% with this statement. Gruden's job is about as safe as it gets -- the Glazers are puddy in his hands, and Bruce Allen is pretty much his right-hand man.

Well, I think it's unlikely he winds up with the Ravens, but as a buddy of mine and I pondered where he might end up earlier today, I was of the opinion that for this to work, he'd have to be on a team with some strong, veteran personalities on defense who had the cred to at least attempt to lay down the law and keep him in line.

Tampa Bay, with Rice, Brooks and Barber certainly fit this category. I'd like to think Miami, with Taylor, Thomas and Madison could fit the bill also (with additional support from guys like Kevin Carter, Junior Seau, Tebucky Jones, Schulters, Holliday, Traylor - boy, that's a list, eh?); and if they found a legitimately consistant player at QB (MIGHT Frerotte be just enough? Not going to happen, but Favre sure would be!!!), it's scary to think what of a 2-pronged running attack featuring both Brown and Williams, along with McMichael, Chambers and T.O., coupled with a veteran-led, Saban-inspired defense might be capable of...

...likely wishful thinking, but isn't that what this time of year is for?

Outside of the Bucs and the Fish, I really can't think of another team that could fit the bill?

Still think Shanny's going to give it a whirl when it all comes down to it, though...would Lynch and Al Wilson be enough muscle? Can Rod Smith get through to him? I'm not too sure about that.
Why must the strong veterans be on defense? If the criteria included strong veterans on offense, Kansas City fits. Sammy Knight and Surtain might be the D leaders you want too.But sticking with your defensive idea:

New England - Harrison and Bruschi

Baltimore of course

San Diego - Donnie Edwards(?)

Chicago - Urlacher, etc.

As Packerfan points out - having a QB able to get him the ball may be more important, so take out TB, Baltimore and Chicago. Under the veteran leadership + QB criteria, New England, SD and KC are the best fits. I don't see TO happy with Marty-ball, and Belichick doesn't need to risk team chemistry. So does Herm want TO? Denver fits to an extent, but not so much with D leaders.

After going through what they did with Keyshawn, the Bucs want to go through the same thing potentially with a guy who's even worse?Yeah, that'll work.Oh and good luck with TO staying happy having Griese and/or Simms throwing the ball to him. That's a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen IMO.

A small, small part of me thinks that TO may have finally learned his lesson after all of this. Philly called his bluff, and he lost. He has potentially cost himself millions because of this, and the likelihood that no team is going to want to sign him to a long term contract. It'll be "Buy TO for a year or two" for awhile until he can prove that he is loyal and not a pain in the ####. If he moves to a new team, keeps his mouth shut, doesn't demand ANYTHING, he might get back into peoples' good graces and be able to sign one more big deal before he gets too old and retires. If not, no one will want him. This is likely his last chance in the NFL before teams boycott him (and his agent).

I think Tampa could win a Super Bowl in 2006 with a healthy Michael Clayton and Joey Galloway. I think both Clayton and Galloway are solid starting NFL WR's. My opinion if they want a WR, go get a relatively cheap WR to be your third guy. I like the future potential of this offense. I'd look to improve the O-line and make some choices on the defensive side of the ball.No need for T.O. If he #####es at McNabb and Garcia, just think of the impact he could have on a mentally fragile Chris Simms. This past season will only motivate Clayton to have a Pro Bowl year in 2006 IMO.

Depends on who the Bucs decide is their QB next season. If it's Simms, I don't know if I'd want a strong personality like TO yelling at him on the sidelines after mistakes. Griese has the experience to let TO's crap go in one ear and out the other.

If I was the GM of Tampa and had Gruden as a HC, then ..... YES!ABSO####INGFLOUTLY! I would take a chance on him. And after they fall just, oh so short this year, they will be all that much more inclined to pick him up for 1 year at a time. I don't think that he is a good fit for every team, but as a one year mercinary in Tampa, he would help them greatly and give them a much better chance at a SuperBowl Run. Let Simms Mature a little bit, Caddy get going and Galloway on the other side and their Defense ... and now you are the favorite to win the big game. Not to mention, the offence would be getting so much respect that Simms would have all day to throw the ball. That would help him mature quite a bit and very quickly. I think that Tampa is in the right place, at the right time .... to let TO come in for (at least) one year and help them play big.

tony dungy is a great man, a great head coach and he won - and look what happened to him in tampa.  the same thing will happen to gruden in two years if he doesn't get that team "over the hump" again
I disagree 100% with this statement. Gruden's job is about as safe as it gets -- the Glazers are puddy in his hands, and Bruce Allen is pretty much his right-hand man.
:goodposting: Bruce Allen is a contracts guy who was lured away from Oakland at Gruden's beck and call. Plus the Glazers are busy trying to convince the rest of the world their other team, Manchester United, is in good hands. Gruden IS the Bucs at this point.

Tough question. The Bucs already had a SB win recently. I know for me, even with this soap opera season and a 6-10 record, I STILL think signing TO was worth it b/c it got us to the Bowl a season ago.
Didn't they get to the bowl without TO?

tony dungy is a great man, a great head coach and he won - and look what happened to him in tampa.  the same thing will happen to gruden in two years if he doesn't get that team "over the hump" again
:goodposting: Bruce Allen is a contracts guy who was lured away from Oakland at Gruden's beck and call. Plus the Glazers are busy trying to convince the rest of the world their other team, Manchester United, is in good hands. Gruden IS the Bucs at this point.
Unfortunately :goodposting: . The Buc's unexpected success this year has strengthened Gruden's job considerably. If the Bucs had ended in the bottom of the NFC South like everyone expected, then his job would be in jeopardy. Now everybody is high on the Buc's future in Tampa. I don't like Gruden, but grudgingly admit he did a good coaching job this year.

As to the OP's question, never in a million years should the Bucs take TO. Much of the success this year was because of team chemistry. Good young guys that were willing to learn from Brooks, Barber, Rice. Rice was pretty much fell into line after his 1 game suspension. TO would screw everything up.

Much of the success this year was because of team chemistry. Good young guys that were willing to learn from Brooks, Barber, Rice. Rice was pretty much fell into line after his 1 game suspension. TO would screw everything up.
I agree, but are you really just happy with 11-6? Do you think that offense, sans TO, is good enough to win the Super Bowl next year?I don't. And like it or not, the defense is getting old. Brooks may have 1-2 years left, but Quarles is near the end and with Rice's cap situation, there's no telling he's back even next year.

More than anything I am surprised by Woods' statement in this thread. I find it hard to believe that anybody could believe a franchise whoring itself to a punk could be worth the price, particularly when that punk did not bring the big prize but rather bought dissent and disruption.This has been, and always will be, a team game people. The great teams of all time, the Packers, the Steeler, the Cowboys, the 49ers, the Patriots, where great because multiple stars sublimated their agendas to a greater team agenda. Owens is the very antithesis of that ethos. He is a destructive cancer.I blame all of this on Deion Sanders, the ultimate huxster. He convinced the Cowboys and the 49ers to whore themselves for that "one final piece to the puzzle". Of course it was more myth than fact that he was the final piece, but he is the example that T.O. wants to follow. He believes he is bigger than the teams he plays for and the game itself. He is not. Neither was Deion. In fact Deion was the eventual death knell to both the 'boys and the 9ers. Neither proud franchise has done #### since whoring themselves out to that punk.

Much of the success this year was because of team chemistry.  Good young guys that were willing to learn from Brooks, Barber, Rice.  Rice was pretty much fell into line after his 1 game suspension.  TO would screw everything up.
I agree, but are you really just happy with 11-6? Do you think that offense, sans TO, is good enough to win the Super Bowl next year?I don't. And like it or not, the defense is getting old. Brooks may have 1-2 years left, but Quarles is near the end and with Rice's cap situation, there's no telling he's back even next year.
IMO the Bucs struggles on offense have always been connected to the O-line. A lot of mediocre QBs can become good to great if they have a great line. Similarly, a good O-line will make an average RB a great RB.Adding a TO caliber WR would hide some problems with the O-line, improve the QB, and make room for Caddy. But what a gamble. You and I both know that the first time the team faces adversity, or the first time that TO perceives he has been slighted. The powder keg under the locker room will explode and the season will go down in flames.

Nor do I think the debacle would be limited to a single-season. I think a team that is TO'ed will continue to suffer long after TO has left. Team chemistry is something that has to be developed, and it doesn't take much to screw it up. With no disrespect to the residents of New Orleans, TO is a lot like Katrina. There is a lot of damage left, long after the storm leaves.

I'd like to think Miami, with Taylor, Thomas and Madison could fit the bill also (with additional support from guys like Kevin Carter, Junior Seau, Tebucky Jones, Schulters, Holliday, Traylor - boy, that's a list, eh?); and if they found a legitimately consistant player at QB (MIGHT Frerotte be just enough? Not going to happen, but Favre sure would be!!!), it's scary to think what of a 2-pronged running attack featuring both Brown and Williams, along with McMichael, Chambers and T.O., coupled with a veteran-led, Saban-inspired defense might be capable of...
Chambers: Don't add OwensBy BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@MiamiHerald.com

A Chris Chambers/Terrell Owens combo at receiver might seem tantalizing to Dolfans. But count Chambers among those opposed to it.

Chambers believes adding Owens would be a bad idea and hurt chemistry. ''If you have another star receiver, it would cause more controversy,'' he said. `` Marty Booker is an excellent receiver . . . We have [tight end] Randy McMichael. We already have the pieces here. I don't see a reason to go get a big-time receiver.''

Miami is among several teams that intrigue Owens, who reportedly has drawn interest from the Jets and Tampa. It would be surprising if any team trades for him before he's released by Philadelphia in March.

Jason Taylor previously said he opposes adding Owens. Said DL Vonnie Holliday: ``You look at our receiver corps -- there's nothing wrong with it. Chris Chambers is a Pro Bowler, and Marty Booker could be.''

Before bringing back Ricky Williams, Nick Saban consulted team leaders, who were supportive. If Saban does the same with Owens, he will encounter some resistance.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13598212.htm

I would love nothing more then to see TO go to Tampa. This is the surest way to ensure the Panthers long term dominance of the division. TO has already left two franchises in shambles...why not three. Furthermore, I would enjoy nothing more then seeing Lucas oVVn Owens and Owens' getting the opportunity to watch to best WR in the league show his superior skills twice a year.

I think any team in need of a WR would be a fool to NOT consider TO. He is THE best WR in the NFL, works his ### off on and off the field. The Eagles screwed up the situation on their own . . . TO just went about his media campaign poorly. TO in a west coast system is gold. TB should do all they can to acquire him.

By the way, what happened to Clayton? Is he a bust?
In a recent TB Tribune article Clayton cited poor conditioning after offseason surgery and additional injuries this year

I think any team in need of a WR would be a fool to NOT consider TO. He is THE second best WR in the NFL, works his ### off on and off the field. The Eagles screwed up the situation on their own . . . TO just went about his media campaign poorly. TO in a west coast system is gold. TB should do all they can to acquire him.
Edited for accuracy.

I think any team in need of a WR would be a fool to NOT consider TO.  He is THE second best WR in the NFL, works his ### off on and off the field.  The Eagles screwed up the situation on their own . . . TO just went about his media campaign poorly.  TO in a west coast system is gold.  TB should do all they can to acquire him.
Edited for accuracy.
oh please, homer. TO is a nut, but there's no way SS is more talented.

It's amazing to hear the radio in Central Florida and the emotions that get kicked up because of this rumor. Plain and simple...I don't think TB needs him. They did well w/o him and they need helps elsewhere. Their OL is hurting and age is catching up w/ them on Defense. You already have two good WR's in Galloway and Clayton (granted he played hurt all season). Add that if they still want Caddy to run as much as he did, OL is a must (can you imagine what he could do w/ a real OL...ouch). Also, TO would go CRAZY w/ Simms throwing the ball to him. He would eat Simms as an afternoon snack. ;) Seriously, what would make them think that they could handle TO...they couldn't even handle Keyshawn. :thumbdown:

My initial thought is that if Keyshawn was run out of town, then why would they even consider bringing TO in?I know it is different circumstances, but Chucky would be nuts to do this!

An enemy of my enemy is a friend of mine.I love the guy, did you see what he did to the fleagles, destroyed the team.Kudos to T.O., Eagles suck. He will use Tampa to prove he can be a team player. :thumbup:

An enemy of my enemy is a friend of mine.

I love the guy, did you see what he did to the fleagles, destroyed the team.

Kudos to T.O., Eagles suck.

He will use Tampa to prove he can be a team player. :thumbup:
I will be the first to admit I received a great deal of guilty pleasure watching TO destroy the Eagles this year. I dislike the team, the coach, the players and the Philly fans. :boxing: Probably would serve me right if TO did the samething to my Bucs. :yucky:

After going through what they did with Keyshawn, the Bucs want to go through the same thing potentially with a guy who's even worse?

Yeah, that'll work.

Oh and good luck with TO staying happy having Griese and/or Simms throwing the ball to him.

That's a recipe for disaster just waiting to happen IMO.
:goodposting: exactly what i was thinking on both accounts.

I would LOVE to see TO become a Buc and rip that organization apart from the inside like he did in Philly.Seriously though, Im wondering if hed sit before he played for a team without a big name QB, or at least a really good QB with a good offense. If he doesnt think he will get 100+ catches, 12+tds, and a super bowl ring, he may just say no thanks. He didnt want to play with Boller, why would he want to play with Simms?:shrug:You never know with TO.

I would LOVE to see TO become a Buc and rip that organization apart from the inside like he did in Philly.

Seriously though, Im wondering if hed sit before he played for a team without a big name QB, or at least a really good QB with a good offense. If he doesnt think he will get 100+ catches, 12+tds, and a super bowl ring, he may just say no thanks. He didnt want to play with Boller, why would he want to play with Simms?

:shrug:

You never know with TO.
TO had a lot more pull before his stint in Philly. Teams are talking about him, but any team that signs him does so at the risk of alienating the fans, the other players and coaches, and every sports talk radio host within a 5 state radius.

I think any team in need of a WR would be a fool to NOT consider TO.  He is THE second best WR in the NFL, works his ### off on and off the field.  The Eagles screwed up the situation on their own . . . TO just went about his media campaign poorly.  TO in a west coast system is gold.  TB should do all they can to acquire him.
Edited for accuracy.
Rudnicki...please give Capella back the keys to his monkier.Smith has better hands, is faster, harder to tackle, and has better moves. He also returns punts.

I might take a flyer on him for one year only. Beyond that he is a cancer. Also, I'm not mortaging my future just to get him. The Bucs had an outstanding draft in 2005 and I would like to see them continue to build the team this way with a few well placed veterans. If we can get him under these conditions, then yes.

Edited for accuracy.
Rudnicki...please give Capella back the keys to his monkier.Smith has better hands, is faster, harder to tackle, and has better moves. He also returns punts.
HOMER UP

If he comes with a big contract clearly no. He has pulled power plays with 49ers, Ravens and Eagles.Clayton getting healthy improves WRsAnd, I'm not sold on Simms as a great TO fit.Spend the money elsewhere as pointed out by others earlier in the thread. TO's most enticing appeal to a club to take t he risk is if he comes cheap. If he opted for cheap short contract to clean up his image the answer might be yes.

Edited for accuracy.
HOMER UP
Curious...if I'm such a "homer", why did I nail the lack luster performance last year winning a bet with you? Why did I take the over on Delhomme INTs this year to win a bet from Lhucks? Why did I tell people Shelton was a waste of a fantasy draft pick this year and that Colbert would be a major bust? I also called out Smith as being a risky pick last year and a table pounding buy this year likely to get 100 receptions. Had Delhomme last year as a borderline #1 QB.Rather then making homer accusations, why don't you bring me some Bucs insight that I can use to dominant my local leagues!

TO was worth it b/c it got us to the Bowl a season ago.
He did? I don't remember seeing him in the postseason until the Super Bowl.It seemed to me that there were many others that played a large role in getting there

TO was worth it b/c it got us to the Bowl a season ago.
He did? I don't remember seeing him in the postseason until the Super Bowl.It seemed to me that there were many others that played a large role in getting there
Exactly. TO didn't even play and he got them to the Superbowl. He's that good. If Tampa had TO injured on the sidelines today, we'd be the ones advancing to Seattle.

Users who are viewing this thread