What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm going to start a Cigar company. Follow me here (1 Viewer)

KGB

Footballguy
Been a FBG and oIe yeller board member since I hit puberty I think.
Loved tipsy thread and have my shirt somewhere!

Currently own a very small business. I am not rich and do not pay myself very much. But I have balls and a little smarts! (more balls) One of my customers is in the cigar industry and is launching their own cigar soon. I practically begged for them to let me in. Unfortunately, they are just doing a family thing. :frown:

A few months later, we spoke and had some cigars and drinks and they asked me what woould my thoughts be about starting company #2? Like what would I want to do? I had a few ideas, but I think small batches of premium cigars to the crypto network might work. It was my first idea and I think they were hoping I said that since we talk crypto, but, they are not educated on the subject. They did indeed like the idea :banned:

Pros
Fun Product in a fun market!​
A million different options​
lots of communities to speak with​
Sometimes they have money lol​
Cons,. too many to list
But, this being their #2 company and not main focus is a concern

BORING STUFF
50-50 split
yes, we will have a contract. since they just did the same thing with their family, easy peazy.
LLC, bank account, EIN, ETC. Easy. alot easier than you would think. And if people want help to start thier own biz, Id be happy to help :hifive:

WE are currently treating this as a side biz/hobby. Not trying to retire. Small fun batches

I am going out of the country next week, so, I will post more in the future.
If Joe approves, my hope is to do a BLACK EYED JOE stogie as about cigar #10. I already have some plans for the first few batches.

Things I will expand on....

How do you get cigars made!?
How do you select the tobacco?
How do you import?
What about LAws and stuff!!!
How do you get Bands/labels' boxes made!!!???
What about them drying out?
What about the sick period?
How do you get customers?

I will have answers to all.

SO far we are on step 1. Pick a name for the biz and see if the domain is avail. (DONE) I will link the domain when we have a logo and throw it up on the site.

-Smoke em if ya got em

Cons,. too many to list
What's stopping the use of all of your good ideas into company 1?

I am normally against partnerships, they almost always end in a bad breakup.

Asking for a dummy, what does "small batches of premium cigars to the crypto network" mean? No cash or credit cards allowed?

I know you said that you already picked out a name/domain, but I think we all owe you our best suggestions. Thinking...

You still in the Phoenix area? If so, I'll buy some from you for my golfing buddies. I don't smoke myself and can barely get down like 1/4 of a cigar when I try. But I enjoy the smell on the course!

Cons,. too many to list

This seems like a legit concern. Can they prove the company 2 ideas in company 2, then use them in company 1 without @KGB receiving anything? Are 1 & 2 in competition?

Asking for a dummy, what does "small batches of premium cigars to the crypto network" mean? No cash or credit cards allowed?

I know you said that you already picked out a name/domain, but I think we all owe you our best suggestions. Thinking...
Essentially, I am going to have "small batches of good cigars/ not crap" And so far, my idea is to market to the crypto communities as im part of a large one, so figured id start there.

Ordering will be done through shopify, just like tons of shops with credit card etc.

You do not have to use crypto to purchase.

Cons,. too many to list

Hopefully they're not just letting him come up with all the ideas to then steal for company #1.
I hear ya. I have a good BS detector. I feel good. but it will be interesting as we start to disagree with stuff. so far its bee3n smooth, but we are VERY early

You still in the Phoenix area? If so, I'll buy some from you for my golfing buddies. I don't smoke myself and can barely get down like 1/4 of a cigar when I try. But I enjoy the smell on the course!
Sure am, you still in laughlin? :suds:

I have a hard time giving up 50% of the profit right off the bat.
I need them. I cannot do this without them. They have the connections. If successful, can the partnership last. thats the question.
The flip side is 100% of nothing is nothing.

On the latter, that’s what strong contracts are for. I’m not familiar with the cigar market- what connections are there?

Essentially, I am going to have "small batches of good cigars/ not crap" And so far, my idea is to market to the crypto communities as im part of a large one, so figured id start there.

Ordering will be done through shopify, just like tons of shops with credit card etc.

Okay, now I get it. Seems like a solid logo and name would go a long way toward success.

I have a hard time giving up 50% of the profit right off the bat.
I need them. I cannot do this without them. They have the connections. If successful, can the partnership last. thats the question.
The flip side is 100% of nothing is nothing.

On the latter, that’s what strong contracts are for. I’m not familiar with the cigar market- what connections are there?
The connections we/my partner has, are stellar is in, the actual manufacturers in the Dominican and sometimes the actual owners.

As each step happens I will be updating.

Heading out of town tomorrow, but will slowly be adding updates as they happen.

Okay, now I get it. Seems like a solid logo and name would go a long way toward success.
Agree, we will have a cool name and logo. I think the success will be word of mouth. "hey, these cigars rock, get em before they get too big" lol

RUNNING TAB

(yes, we know it's cheaper doing it yourself. we are both busy professionals, and sometimes a couple extra bucks is easier than driving to phoenix)

$12 - Domain name
$383 - LLC and EIN

$395 - Total

Reactions: KGB
I enjoy cigars but I don't understand the crypto angle here?
I guess, simply put, im into crypto, and have connections in certain sectors. So, for marketing. I'll expand more now that I'm back in country and can start working on this more. :hifive:

Sure am, you still in laughlin? :suds:
Nope, Flag.
congrats!!! less meth there. for better or worse ;)
Ha, yes, there's less meth.

I'll hit you up when I'm in the valley for some cigars.
Sounds good man :banned:

Had a meeting today.

Step 1 company logo. I will be contacting my guy who made my logo for my other biz next week. he doesnt specialize in logos, so we shall see.
I want something basic and professional. I will go fancy on the cigar band.

Here is a link to cigar terms you may not know

There is an issue.

|This destroyed like 100s of thousands of cigars. It is definitely going to effect us, especially short term/ launching.
Everyone will be buying. bad timing.

This is a slow fuse biz anyway, but now I think this will really slow us down.
Again, this is a fun side biz, we are not going to rush. much rather have a great product.

But man, bad timing :kicksrock:

The cigar industry runs on "island time" I am not in a rush, but want to keep making some progress. As A guy from back east, I like to get **** done quick and right. Learning to slow down.

I spoke to the company that helped with logos, etc from my first biz and they are on board for the cigar biz.
Only the company logo, as I have someone for the cigar bands. I will update the $$$$ after we pay

So, next steps are

• Design logo for biz, not the actual cigars launch
  • set up simple www homepage
  • set up instagram and twitter

should I set up other apps?

I am going to do small drops of cigars. probably 200 to 500 per launch.

We can brand each launch with whatever we want. fun, serious, high end, low end, etc

Will be focusing on the upper middle. $8 to $15 dollars a stick. Most of these would probably sell for almost double that with a known brand.

So what would the cigar box or each individual cigar be like a collectors cryptocurrency?
I think I missed this question.

No, Basically, I want a great cigar to sell for a fair price. period. but how do you do that? one of my ideas is to team with a crypto and use their logo on the cigar itself, and they can then promote it to their users.

We will be starting in 5 packs only, no boxes. because then you have to design the boxes etc, and sell enough where people are buying boxes full. I dont think anyone will buy a box (50 cigars) of something that isnt established.

Someone mentioned doing a NFT along with it that is interesting. But I want to start walking, not running.

Users who are viewing this thread