What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting ________ over Burress this week (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg

Footballguy
I've started Plaxico over the likes of Vincent Jackson and Kevin Curtis in the last two weeks, and I am making a change this week. Jackson will start for me.

There was a time when you'd be insane to bench Burress. But I'd argue that the maturation of Manning coupled with the immaturity of Burress is slowly eroding the importance of Burress in that offense.

Not looking for advice here. Just your opinions.

I've started Plaxico over the likes of Vincent Jackson and Kevin Curtis in the last two weeks, and I am making a change this week. Jackson will start for me.There was a time when you'd be insane to bench Burress. But I'd argue that the maturation of Manning coupled with the immaturity of Burress is slowly eroding the importance of Burress in that offense.Not looking for advice here. Just your opinions.
I think a healthy Burress is too explosive to bench at any point. If you're thinking about benching him, maybe you should trade him..

they're offense seems very bland without Plax. In fact if he's "off" I usualy feel like "wow, what a catch" from Amani, Smith, or Boss so while watching, I guess I don't even expect the others to impress

I've started Plaxico over the likes of Vincent Jackson and Kevin Curtis in the last two weeks, and I am making a change this week. Jackson will start for me.There was a time when you'd be insane to bench Burress. But I'd argue that the maturation of Manning coupled with the immaturity of Burress is slowly eroding the importance of Burress in that offense.Not looking for advice here. Just your opinions.
Well, considering Jackson was on bye week last week and Curtis just coming back.......how could you start them over a guy like Buress versus the Cowboys?Buress is still a great talent and capable of going off any week. I wouldn't bench him this week either for Vincent Jackson or Kevin Curtis.

As of right now, I'm starting Cotchery at STL over him this week.

Plax with three total TDs on the year and averaging 3 catches for 25 yards each of the past two weeks is enough for me to sit him for a bit.

Iv been trying to pedal him for awhile now, no takers, value is extremely low
What's the bottom of the barrel you'd trade him for? Obviously you'd take Andre Johnson or Adrian Peterson......but who's the last guy at a flex spot you'd take for Buress and what guy's wouldn't you take for him?Would you take Colston for Buress? Would you take Chambers for him, Coles,Holmes?I don't think I'd take any of those guys for Buress and they're all pretty decent in my book.

Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
What's the bottom of the barrel you'd trade him for? Obviously you'd take Andre Johnson or Adrian Peterson......but who's the last guy at a flex spot you'd take for Buress and what guy's wouldn't you take for him?Would you take Colston for Buress? Would you take Chambers for him, Coles,Holmes?I don't think I'd take any of those guys for Buress and they're all pretty decent in my book.
But I was looking to grab a RB not another WR.

This isn't exactly what you're after, but here is a list of WRs on my own team that are currently not slated to start over Burress this week:

Donnie Avery

Marques Colston

Kevin Curtis

Wes Welker

If anyone has an argument as to why any of them should start over Burress, I'd love to hear it. It is a complete crap-shoot with WR for me, again, this year. :no:

I may be able to get AJ for Burress. I don't know if I'm going to pull the trigger (keeper league)

I may be able to get AJ for Burress. I don't know if I'm going to pull the trigger (keeper league)
Judging by the response you got in the two Andre Johnson threads, are you not yet convinced that you should run, not walk to your computer to accept this trade?

Well, considering Jackson was on bye week last week and Curtis just coming back.......how could you start them over a guy like Buress versus the Cowboys?Buress is still a great talent and capable of going off any week. I wouldn't bench him this week either for Vincent Jackson or Kevin Curtis.
Jackson has a huge height advantage over the Chiefs' secondary, so I will start him with confidence over Burress. I like Burress' skills. He's fantastic. But here's a guy that just signed a multi-year deal for big money. And how does he thank NY? He acts like a five year old. We all know that Burress is capable of 150 yards and two TDs on any given Sunday. But we also know he's an immature, whiny baby. I think Manning is exploring NYs talent at WR, and Manning knows that he doesn't need to force-feed a malcontent to win games these days.

Philadelphia will give Manning a lot more issues than Dallas did. I am optimistic that Burress can have a good game this weekend. I think Manning is going to need him. Burress has been staying out of trouble and this is a big game for New York this weekend.

Interestingly enough, I just watched the season finale of the 5 Minute Drill, and during the portion where they talk about stud WRs they mention what I like to refer to as semi-studs, which basically boil down to WRs you still shouldn't take out based on match-ups. Anyway, surprisingly Burress wasn't mentioned in that second tier, or the first, obviously, but Avery and Colston were.

I just traded Antonio Bryant for Plax. Hopefully Plax will catch on again.

Jackson has a huge height advantage over the Chiefs' secondary, so I will start him with confidence over Burress. I like Burress' skills. He's fantastic. But here's a guy that just signed a multi-year deal for big money. And how does he thank NY? He acts like a five year old. We all know that Burress is capable of 150 yards and two TDs on any given Sunday. But we also know he's an immature, whiny baby. I think Manning is exploring NYs talent at WR, and Manning knows that he doesn't need to force-feed a malcontent to win games these days.
It's ironic....I have S. Holmes, Coles, V. Jackson, Jennings and Buress in a start 3 WR league and I'm probably not starting Jackson this week.

It's ironic....I have S. Holmes, Coles, V. Jackson, Jennings and Buress in a start 3 WR league and I'm probably not starting Jackson this week.
I am playing a weak opponent, so I will probably not need a lot from my #2 WR this week. So risking Jackson over Burress isn't that big a deal for me.

Interestingly enough, I just watched the season finale of the 5 Minute Drill, and during the portion where they talk about stud WRs they mention what I like to refer to as semi-studs, which basically boil down to WRs you still shouldn't take out based on match-ups. Anyway, surprisingly Burress wasn't mentioned in that second tier, or the first, obviously, but Avery and Colston were.
Maybe they know something I don't, that he's likely to miss more time or something but from a pure skill standpoint I don't see how Avery and and Buress are even in the same tier.

I am playing a weak opponent, so I will probably not need a lot from my #2 WR this week. So risking Jackson over Burress isn't that big a deal for me.
Ya, my thought process is that LT's probably/should be as healthy as he's been all year and if that's true, could be a big rushing day for him. That would obviously limit receiving yards.If that's not true, then Jackson could be in for a big week.

If I had a decent option, I'd be sitting him.

The best I can do behind him right now is Chambers or L. Moore.

I can only hope a close, divisional game will bring out the best in him.

This isn't exactly what you're after, but here is a list of WRs on my own team that are currently not slated to start over Burress this week:

Donnie Avery

Marques Colston

Kevin Curtis

Wes Welker

If anyone has an argument as to why any of them should start over Burress, I'd love to hear it. It is a complete crap-shoot with WR for me, again, this year. :unsure:
I like Curtis over Buress going forward. Like it or not, he's the #1 in Philly. He had a decent # of targets in Seattle, and I expect him to perform as a fantasy WR2 going forward. I'd want to see at least one solid week from Colston first.

Avery is too inconsistant to consider barring ideal matchups.

I'd at least consider Welker in PPR if he has a much better matchup then Burress.

Plaxico clearly has some maturity problems to go along with durability issues. With the continued emergance of Steve Smith, I don't think he's reliable enough to be a must-start on most rosters. He's more likely to score as a WR3 then a strong WR1 right now.

Donnie Avery

Marques Colston

Kevin Curtis

Wes Welker

If anyone has an argument as to why any of them should start over Burress, I'd love to hear it. It is a complete crap-shoot with WR for me, again, this year. :confused:
I like Curtis over Buress going forward. Like it or not, he's the #1 in Philly. He had a decent # of targets in Seattle, and I expect him to perform as a fantasy WR2 going forward. I'd want to see at least one solid week from Colston first.

Avery is too inconsistant to consider barring ideal matchups.

I'd at least consider Welker in PPR if he has a much better matchup then Burress.

Plaxico clearly has some maturity problems to go along with durability issues. With the continued emergance of Steve Smith, I don't think he's reliable enough to be a must-start on most rosters. He's more likely to score as a WR3 then a strong WR1 right now.
I agree with all of this. And I think Curtis will be a better play for the rest of the season over Burress.

QB Eli Manning said the interception returned for a touchdown by the Cowboys on Sunday was his fault: “Yeah, we had a blitz the other side so the outside linebacker is going to try to run out to the hitch, I tried to speed up and throw the ball before the outside linebacker gets out there. But the corner is sitting and he is a guesser. (WR) Plaxico (Burress) made the right read. The guy sat. I wasn’t looking at the corner, I was looking at the defensive end and worried about him getting in the line of flight.”Manning on Burress opening up other things for others in the passing game: “Yeah, always, just because people are scared of him. They get a safety to his side a bunch. I have to go through my reads and that is what has kept us from getting in trouble some and not forcing things when they are not there. He is getting open; he is doing all of the right things. It is just the way the game goes sometimes.”
Read: look for Eli to get Plax involved early and often against Philly.

Plaxico's line from last night's game:

Four targets, one catch, one TD. Horrible.

That said, Burress might be a start this week. The Ravens have a banged-up secondary and it isn't easy to run on the Ravens.

It would be a shame to give up that signing bonus though, he has talent, he's just an idiot.
The talent is there, no doubt. But by all accounts, talent does not guarantee anything in the NFL. The league is rich with talent. It's the guys that work hard who make a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread