What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting Percy Harvin over.... (1 Viewer)

Da Gildz

Footballguy
On the eve of the biggest week in the FFPC tournament, this is probably the biggest decision out there...Lets hear some names. PPR preferably.

On the eve of the biggest week in the FFPC tournament, this is probably the biggest decision out there...Lets hear some names. PPR preferably.
I think you almost have to start him over anyone at WR3 against his old team. Even with a pitch count, if he is on the field there gonna give it to him most the time in my opinion.

I have Tim Wright in over him right now (1.5 PPR for TE) but I can be swayed I suppose. Need the Pts so not sure if risk is the better play over safe.

I wouldn't start him at all.

Seattle doesn't need to win tomorrow. They could lose and still be in good shape. In fact, they've been winning without him and the offense has been doing quite well.

Seattle needs to win in the playoffs. Harvin does them no help if he hurts himself.

Knowing these injuries from the medical side, I'm very skeptical that he will be used whenever he is on the field, or even on the field enough to make an impact. I just don't see him going nuts. Could be wrong, which is why this is such a risky play IMO.

I think a lot of people have high expectations because of A. Brown coming back and doing so good when he was expected to be on a snap count.

Harvin has the potential to score big. He also has the potential to give you one big fat goose egg playing only a few snaps. I could completely see him playing only a hand full of snaps (25% to throw a number out there). He hasn't played football in how long... Temper your expectations

Boom or bust, do what you want, but I personally think if you're in a playoff hunt you can't afford the risk of a goose egg. If you have nothing to lose, go for it. If I were in good shape I would wait a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a guy last week who did it named ANDRE Brown, so its possible for coaches to deceive us with pitch counts.

He and his coach say he is 100%, why would you not play Harvin at 100% is the real question. He is better than most WR3s even if he will be on a pitch count.

I see the Andre Brown comparison alot. Very different situations. The Giants needed Brown badly. Heck, he was probably the reason they beat that crap Oak team. If the Hawks are up 21-3 at half, do we even see much of Harvin in the 2nd half.

I see the Andre Brown comparison alot. Very different situations. The Giants needed Brown badly. Heck, he was probably the reason they beat that crap Oak team. If the Hawks are up 21-3 at half, do we even see much of Harvin in the 2nd half.
I think we will see more if thats the case to get him back to game speed. He has missed preseason and the first 10 weeks. Just like Vereen, if he plays, you play him.

Exactly my point!

Why risk your best offensive weapon in a game that either doesn't matter or is already wrapped up by halftime?

Harvin hasn't played in how long, is he really in "football shape"? You don't throw someone who hasn't played in months into a full game, regardless of how good he is, unless you absolutely need him.

I could see SF rushing Crabtree back more than Seattle rushing Harvin back. Seattle is in great shape, offense clicking and things are looking good... SF is in decent shape but their offense is not clicking as well as it could be.

Harvin is facing his old team in this one, that might be the x-factor that puts him in WR2 scoring this week
Do you honestly buy into that?Minnesota traded him, I believe at his request (could be wrong). Do you really think there is bad blood there?

And even if there is... What does Harvin have to prove to Minnesota? Minnesota sucks. Badly. And they are showing no signs of ever not sucking in the near future.

Minnesota was a playoff team with Harvin. Without, they are terrible. Harvin should be thankful, not bitter

"Playing his old team" was certainly the X factor for Peyton manning right?

Exactly my point!

Why risk your best offensive weapon in a game that either doesn't matter or is already wrapped up by halftime?

Harvin hasn't played in how long, is he really in "football shape"? You don't throw someone who hasn't played in months into a full game, regardless of how good he is, unless you absolutely need him.

I could see SF rushing Crabtree back more than Seattle rushing Harvin back. Seattle is in great shape, offense clicking and things are looking good... SF is in decent shape but their offense is not clicking as well as it could be.
No NFL game is wrapped up by halftime.

Seattle doesn't need to win tomorrow. They could lose and still be in good shape.
A loss and New Orleans win would drop them into a tie with the Saints for fewest losses in the conference. Given how important the No. 1 seed is to the Seahawks (check out the home/road record with Wilson at QB), I think they absolutely need to keep winning and stay ahead of New Orleans. So I disagree they don't need to win.

That being said, I think they are more than capable of beating the Vikings without Harvin. They would probably win easily without Wilson. The Vikings are awful.

Exactly my point!

No NFL game is wrapped up by halftime.
Fair. But you mean to tell me if Seattle is up by 3 scores they continue to play their injury prone, best offensive weapon, who hasn't played in a game since last season?

Did anyone really sit on him 10 weeks not to play him now when he is 100% healthy against his old team?

I know I didn't.

Just to throw a different take out there..

The other side of the coin is Wilson an Harvin haven't played with each other so they need the game reps together.

These guy's need to get on the same page by the end of the season to be as effective as they can with each other.

--------

Also I'm contemplating playing Harvin over Roddy.. (not a giant decision but one non the less) :)

Just to throw a different take out there..

The other side of the coin is Wilson an Harvin haven't played with each other so they need the game reps together.

These guy's need to get on the same page by the end of the season to be as effective as they can with each other.
Excellent point. I'd say a good way to help them develop chemistry and confidence would be to work them together against a really awful pass defense.

Where do the Vikings rank in terms of pass defense again?

:D

I would expect the same usage from Harvin this week as you would see with Tavon Austin or maybe McCluster.

Boom/bust WR3 with limited snaps. Value accordingly.

The Seahawks have been very disciplined and cautious with Harvin's rehab and practice time to date and wouldn't expect that to change, even if the game is competitive.

Besides the injury risk management, there is simply the practical matter of game planning. No way IMO Seahawks are going to all of a sudden make Harvin the centerpiece of the offense when he's hardly been practicing.

That will begin to occur over the bye week after which we will likely see a dramatic ramp-up in usage assuming no injury setbacks.

They wouldn't play him at all (see last few weeks) if they were concerned. They have already said it will be a limited role... so expect him to be capable in his limited role.

They wouldn't play him at all (see last few weeks) if they were concerned. They have already said it will be a limited role... so expect him to be capable in his limited role.
I agree but what is a limited role? 10 plays? Only certain formations?

I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is for this game for him.

Of course people are going to be excited to play him, they've held onto him this long. But chances are they didn't spend a lot to get him- I know in one of my leagues he was a WW pick up.

If you've made it this long, why not wait one more week. I guess some people are desperate, but for those who can't afford a loss, why risk it.

Well alot of people posting in this forum are in the FFPC in which case week 11 is the final week of the reg season. Playoffs are on the line for alot of Harvin owners. Myself included. If this were just a regular season game with another 2 weeks to play, it's a different story. Oh, and he's on a bye next week so if u don't play him tomorrow, next is week 13.

Which of these receivers would you start him over if any?

Shorts

Amendola

Keenan Allen

Eric Decker

Golden Tate

Steve Smith

Just trying to guage what his value will be

Well alot of people posting in this forum are in the FFPC in which case week 11 is the final week of the reg season. Playoffs are on the line for alot of Harvin owners. Myself included. If this were just a regular season game with another 2 weeks to play, it's a different story. Oh, and he's on a bye next week so if u don't play him tomorrow, next is week 13.
All valid points. Like I said, if you absolutely need him I guess he's a good boom/bust play, but I really think this bust.The people who should start him are: If you have a tough matchup and need the potential high reward or if your options behind him aren't much better than someone of a WR 3/4 capability

The people who shouldn't start him are anyone with a viable replacement who can put up wr2/3 numbers.

I would put a guess that Harvin would get about 4-5 points in standard non PPR. So if you've got someone who can score more than that I'd say play that person.

One mans advice, take it with a grain of salt. Like I said, I'm probably wrong anyways. But I think it's more realistic that a WR who has been out all season comes in to get about 40-50 yards as opposed to 120 with a score

Shorts

Amendola

Keenan Allen

Eric Decker

Golden Tate

Steve Smith

IMO, Steve smith and Amendola. Tate is very questionable. Does his value take a hit? Well, if Harvin plays the entire game, yes. If not, no. So depends what side you're on

it's extremely dicey right now for me at WR. starting Harvin over DeAndre Hopkins and Jarret Boykin. It is not a tough decision.

I think any negative impact Harvin's return could have on Tate is offset by the fact they're playing the Vikings, whose pass defense is pathetic. I would anticipate Tate being the WR1 for Seattle this week and even if Harvin assumes that role after the bye as anticipated the attention he'll receive should help Tate remain a very viable option in the passing game. Wilson's definitely talented enough to create meaningful fantasy production for two WRs, especially when you consider the TE offers nothing in this offense and the RBs rarely contribute much in the passing game either.

Harvin will play as long it takes for him to get his against his old team. Believe the fact that this ALWAYS matters to the player and the coaches who now call the plays for that player.

IMO, if he drops a 5-60 and a TD by the third quarter and Seattle feels cozy, then they will limit his reps. Otherwise, there is no ceiling in this one.

Harvin will play as long it takes for him to get his against his old team. Believe the fact that this ALWAYS matters to the player and the coaches who now call the plays for that player.

IMO, if he drops a 5-60 and a TD by the third quarter and Seattle feels cozy, then they will limit his reps. Otherwise, there is no ceiling in this one.
Seemed to go well for Peyton Manning.

What does Harvin have to prove to Minnesota? They were a playoff team with him, garbage without him. They trade him by his request. So I can't imagine ther is much bad blood.

I guess I don't see the motivation, just because it's his old team. By that logic manning should have had a career day. Instead it was one of his worst this season

Seemed to go well for Peyton Manning.

What does Harvin have to prove to Minnesota? They were a playoff team with him, garbage without him. They trade him by his request. So I can't imagine ther is much bad blood.

I guess I don't see the motivation, just because it's his old team. By that logic manning should have had a career day. Instead it was one of his worst this season
Peyton threw for 386 yards and 3 TDs. Maybe that's low by his impossible standards but I'd say he got his. His team just lost. Harvin doesn't have to have ill will to want to play well against his old team. In fact, it's like playing your best friend or brother in any game of skill. You'd rather whoop them for bragging rights then a stranger any day.

If you want to throw out the Minnesota revenge argument, you could still hang your hat on the fact it's his Seattle debut on his home field and he's coming back from a major injury. Think he still has no motivation?

Seems like it's pretty split here on Harvin. Either u love him or don't trust him at all. Which in the end means he'll end up with a 5 rec for 62 yds type of day and we all lose.

Are folks who are starting him doing so because of lack of other options? i cant see starting him first week back unless i really had no choice.

Are folks who are starting him doing so because of lack of other options? i cant see starting him first week back unless i really had no choice.
Actually no. He's an exceptional playmaker who has a ton of motivation this week. That's a great combination to have. He's an ideal WR3 to me.

Someone enlighten me because I must be missing something regarding the whole Percy Harvin thing.

We are talking about a receiver who has never had a 1000 yard season or more than 6 receiving tds in a season.

He is coming off of major hip surgery so he likely has lost at least some of his athleticism ... at least temporarily.

Going to a new team so he has no history of performing with Sea and has not had time to develop chemistry with Wilson.

And I could be wrong but I would not think they are going to use him for returns which is what mad him a special fantasy football player.

Too many ? to think this guy is going to go out there and immediately be a wr 2 ...more likely a 3 or 4

Actually no. He's an exceptional playmaker who has a ton of motivation this week. That's a great combination to have. He's an ideal WR3 to me.
i get that hes exceptional. Just seems quite risky. WIth the by next week and the coach saying they will ease him back, i could see starting him the week after the bye. But this week seems very risky unless the rest of my lineup is rick solid.

All excellent points regarding starting Harvin. I've been tossing it around all week

but I think I'm sticking with Thomas, Nelson and T. Smith.

CanaBuc said:

Shorts

Amendola

Keenan Allen

Eric Decker

Golden Tate

Steve Smith

Amendola, Keenan Allen, and Eric Decker are much better options

The other 3 kinda suck but are about the same level as Harvin right now

He was when he was with the Vikings and before his injury.

I think it's a bit premature to say that he is an exceptional play maker post Vikings and post injury

Someone enlighten me because I must be missing something regarding the whole Percy Harvin thing.

We are talking about a receiver who has never had a 1000 yard season or more than 6 receiving tds in a season.

He is coming off of major hip surgery so he likely has lost at least some of his athleticism ... at least temporarily.

Going to a new team so he has no history of performing with Sea and has not had time to develop chemistry with Wilson.

And I could be wrong but I would not think they are going to use him for returns which is what mad him a special fantasy football player.

Too many ? to think this guy is going to go out there and immediately be a wr 2 ...more likely a 3 or 4
My points exactly. Too many question marks. Makes him in my mind one of the most over rated WRs in fantasy this year.

Now, arguing about this is pointless because some guys could have Brian Hartline starting in his place. In that case, yeah start Harvin.

My expectations of him are a celiling like a low end WR3/high WR4 and floor of a big fat goose egg. A lot of people don't understand this type of injury and just think- surgery, okay he's all better right? wrong.

I am completely with you on this one- I would personally wait a week and go with him after the bye

i get that hes exceptional. Just seems quite risky. WIth the by next week and the coach saying they will ease him back, i could see starting him the week after the bye. But this week seems very risky unless the rest of my lineup is rick solid.
I can't say it's not risky but I just have a feeling I'll slap myself for not seeing the obvious motivation for him and Seattle to make sure he gets his this week. Future weeks will always be tenous because let's face it, it's Seattle's pass offense here. It's random and spread out.

My points exactly. Too many question marks. Makes him in my mind one of the most over rated WRs in fantasy this year.

Now, arguing about this is pointless because some guys could have Brian Hartline starting in his place. In that case, yeah start Harvin.

My expectations of him are a celiling like a low end WR3/high WR4 and floor of a big fat goose egg. A lot of people don't understand this type of injury and just think- surgery, okay he's all better right? wrong.

I am completely with you on this one- I would personally wait a week and go with him after the bye
I mean percy was on pace for very nice season last year prior to injury. And he is extremely talented. But really, i dont care who it is, i think you have to wait a week if you have any reasonable options.

Ian Rapaport just tweeted he's hearing about 10-15 plays for Harvin. That makes the decision much easier. See u in week 13 Percy.

Ian Rapaport just tweeted he's hearing about 10-15 plays for Harvin. That makes the decision much easier. See u in week 13 Percy.
Must say, I saw that coming. 10 plays is what I've been saying all along.

I don't know how you can think he would get anything more than 10-15 plays?

And with those 10-15 plays, the only way he is fantasy relevant is if he is targeted 10 of those plays and can manage 6-7 catches

the dreaded "pitch count"
Just like Andre Brown last week. We have a tendency to hang on every tweet of info. now a days and call it a probable fact. My gut says they will get him at least a TD in some fashion and that's good enough for my WR3. Good luck to those who gamble with me.

Users who are viewing this thread