What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting Sammy Watkins over_______? Last Sammy thread was 3 years ago. (1 Viewer)

pollardsvision

Footballguy
Just curious. I know some of you are. I am.

Past this week, I know we shouldn't even go down this road, but what they hey?

He's only 29. Star in BUF when they were an offensive dumpster fire. Got hurt. Got to the Rams right as Kupp got there. Got to KC right as Tyreek got there. Got hurt constantly during all that.

Is it completely outside the possible range of outcomes that he has a solid season as Rodgers' most accomplished veteran in a season where Rodgers is trying to prove he can do it without Adams? Not something anybody would bet on, of course. But you don't have to. He's on your waiver wire right now.

Just some worthless spitballing. But I'm starting him tomorrow. Over flex guys I like with bad matchups (Edmonds, Cordarelle) and one I'm just not sure of the situation (KIrk).

He's only 29. Star in BUF when they were an offensive dumpster fire. Got hurt. Got to the Rams right as Kupp got there. Got to KC right as Tyreek got there. Got hurt constantly during all that.

Is it completely outside the possible range of outcomes that he has a solid season as Rodgers' most accomplished veteran in a season where Rodgers is trying to prove he can do it without Adams? Not something anybody would bet on, of course. But you don't have to. He's on your waiver wire right now.

Just some worthless spitballing. But I'm starting him tomorrow. Over flex guys I like with bad matchups (Edmonds, Cordarelle) and one I'm just not sure of the situation (KIrk).
He’s clearly lost a step, and he has a knack for getting hurt

If he couldn’t achieve anything as a wide receiver in Kansas City, why would I believe he’s going to suddenly achieve things in Green Bay?

The fact is, the dude has never played a full season, has never had more than 65 catches (in his rookie season) and really has never achieved anything that would make anyone think he is in line for a special season at the age of 29.

So to answer your question, yes, it is extremely hard to believe that a great fantasy season is within the range of possible outcomes. The dude is a perennial bust, Who has never lived up to his potential.

I have said in a couple other threads that, if you're looking for a desperation play you could do worse than Watkins. A chance at getting Aaron Rodgers's #1WR any week is worth considering. It most likely will fail, but so do most desperation plays.

Not sure why you would need a desperation play in week one, but if you do he isn't a terrible option.

Thinking about starting week 1.in flex spot. TBH wouldn't be surprised if the beneficiaries were the Rb and Cobb (guys Rodgers familiar with)

Last edited:
Recently Sammy has been a very solid week 1 play

2021: 4/96
2020: 7/82/1
2019: 9/198/3

No reason to think he can't put up a 5/80/1 minimum line with Rodgers slinging it. I'd be wary of a full season of production, he tends to be a 2 pump (week) chump :lol:

This thread has a chance of lasting 2 weeks tops. Maybe he might get some love for a week or 2 again next season IF he is healthy and on an NFL roster.

This thread has a chance of lasting 2 weeks tops. Maybe he might get some love for a week or 2 again next season IF he is healthy and on an NFL roster.
It’s like Groundhog Day.

1st year in KC: “they need a target opposite Hill. He’s gotta be the man this time!”

1st year in BAL: “they need a target opposite Hollywood. He’s gotta be the man this time!

1st year in GB: lather, rinse, repeat

DFS start for me for sure. Boom/Bust play and he's dirt cheap but I'd have to have a serious brain injury to entertain rolling him out week 1 in anything less than a 20 team fantasy league.

I'm considering him because I'm a genius and drafted a squad full of injured WR2's and 3's (Godwin, Thomas, Lazard, Gallup)

Here we possible go again, or not with Sammy Watkins. I've been fooled thrive before and vowed to never go back to this well. Somehow he sits at WR#3 on my team. I went Hopkins for a stash, and Godwin for upside. I dropped George Pickens to get Sammy hmmm... Aaron Rodgers the difference maker. Likely this is only a one week play. And it looks like Godwin plays, perhaps limited. It's the late game soooo. Could Watkins have a decent year with Green Bay? I'm not sure about any of it and he might get dropped today. I might take a flyer on Gallup for IR and then there's Jalen Tolbert for DAL tonight if I had to bail on Godwin. Strategy moving forward. Or, I could go back to Pickens and he might hit, or another GB rookie WR.

Hey, at least C Kupp is off to a good start. Higgins WR #2.

If you’re going to start him Week 1 is usually his only big game of the season - so this is the week.

Hey, at least C Kupp is off to a good start. Higgins WR #2.

Team Stefon here so also off to a good start. Means little, I have lost plenty I thought were a lock after Thursday.

Still, Week 1 I don't try to read tea leaves. There's no need to push edge cases.

IOW, there is no need for this year's version of Sammy Watkins or Frisman Jackson.

You're a FBG, so by definition you drafted well.
  • Diontae, CMC, ('lil) Chase, Jaylen, Miles, JuJu, Godwin were full participants Friday
  • #can'tguardmike, Drake, Ertz were limited.
  • Kittle & Lazard looks like a nope.
Don't overthink this morning - trust what you believed a few weeks ago when you drafted.

Now go start the guys you drafted & enjoy the day.

If you’re going to start him Week 1 is usually his only big game of the season - so this is the week.
I could be right with ya. One week only! Wouldn't it be nice if he exploded for 100 + yards and 3 TD's LOL. Then trade his *** at the highest and get a C Sutton or C Kirk type in return. Sammy Watkins, Godwin or back to Pickens or another rookie GB WR are my potential plays.

over Edmonds

Do any leagues offer have malpractice insurance now?

80% of these posts are schtick and I’m here for it. The other 20% are mildly concerning; but hey, there’s a bell curve everywhere in life.
Seriously debating between Sammy and Edmonds (rather go Cordy over them all, but I don't see ATL scoring much).

I really don't want to touch that NE/MIA game. It could be an absolute slog, and we still have no idea how this MIA running game will look and shake out. MIA's offense might be the most difficult to project in the whole league.

On the other hand, we've got a vet with Rodgers in a likely shootout.
People got excited about Allen Lazard for this reason and this reason only. Lazard is not a special talent.

And if you think this should come with malpractice insurance, I hope FBG has it. One of their weekly rankings contributors (historically my favorite) has Sammy at #53 as a flex play (over players far better than Chase Edmonds). The rest are much closer to public opinion.

We're all going to be wrong on about 50% of every thing we think we know right now. Sammy popping off this week is not outlandish.

I could be right with ya. One week only! Wouldn't it be nice if he exploded for 100 + yards and 3 TD's LOL. Then trade his *** at the highest and get a C Sutton or C Kirk type in return. Sammy Watkins, Godwin or back to Pickens or another rookie GB WR are my potential plays.
I mean if your league mates are dumb, this is a great strategy! Even if Watkins has a great game, there won’t be a trade market for him outside of bottom of the roster type of players.

It’s like Groundhog Day.

1st year in KC: “they need a target opposite Hill. He’s gotta be the man this time!”

1st year in BAL: “they need a target opposite Hollywood. He’s gotta be the man this time!

I'm really not trying to make the case that Sammy will have a good season. Just saying I'm not willing to write off the possiblity.

WTH Flex Week 1? Sure.

KC and BAL are very different situations though. For a variety of reasons, they've never supported a 2nd WR.

We don't know what GB will do this year. But one would think it's possible a veteran GB WR will have a good year this year (as it's happened every year of Rodgers' career).

I'm not going to write off the possibility that Sammy is actually better than Lazard and Cobb. Maybe it's the I've never had Sammy in a league, so I've never experienced any of this hype. I'm really very indifferent about him.

I just see a vet that's displayed skill in the past and has an opportunity. Most importantly, he's literally free.

Mostly, I'm saying we all need to be open to the possibility that we're wrong. We are every year.

I'm bored waiting for some football to start.

Think about the year 2017......

Right now, Colts fans are excited to have Matt Ryan on the team. May even think he makes them a real contender. And he very well might.

But also, his last winning season was 2017. Man that was a long time ago.

That year he beat Rams in the Playoffs.

Great team, those 2017 Rams. Brimming with talent, oh man Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Todd Gurley, young Higbee.

Anyone wanna guess who lead that loaded team in receiving TDs by a wide margin?

Anyway the last time Sammy showed something was also the last time Matt Ryan was a winning QB.

It’s like Groundhog Day.

I'm really not trying to make the case that Sammy will have a good season. Just saying I'm not willing to write off the possiblity.

WTH Flex Week 1? Sure.

KC and BAL are very different situations though. For a variety of reasons, they've never supported a 2nd WR.

We don't know what GB will do this year. But one would think it's possible a veteran GB WR will have a good year this year (as it's happened every year of Rodgers' career).

I'm not going to write off the possibility that Sammy is actually better than Lazard and Cobb. Maybe it's the I've never had Sammy in a league, so I've never experienced any of this hype. I'm really very indifferent about him.

I just see a vet that's displayed skill in the past and has an opportunity. Most importantly, he's literally free.
Not hating on the recommendation, just being realistic about it based on a long and totally mediocre track record.

As @Dr. Octopus & others have said - week 1 is when you start him if you do.

But your statement was “season” and I just don’t see it. Nor do I see any reason why Watkins should be recommended based on his career.

When healthy, he’s not better than Lazard. This week Lazard isn’t healthy, so sure - he’s better than Lazard this week.

Nor do I think he’s better than Doubs, or most of the other options in GB. At 29, I think he’s JAG along with likely several guys there.

You’re correct: the price is “free”. But roster spots aren’t limitless and have value. There are an awful lot of dudes I’d rather roster than Sammy Watkins in dynasty or redraft.

I hope he lights it up for anyone who starts him today. :hifive:

Mostly, I'm saying we all need to be open to the possibility that we're wrong. We are every year.
While in general, philosophically I agree with this, at this point we basically know who Sammy Watkins is.

There’s a massive body of evidence working against him. If he can stay on the field more than a dozen games it would be a good start.

3 receptions for 18 yards. Hope you got him before he hit the waiver wire next week. Maybe you can start another thread for him in three years

Users who are viewing this thread