What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Impending Mustard Shortage - what on earth are we going to do? (1 Viewer)

Which condiment could you do without for the rest of your life?

• Total voters

dickey moe

Fingerpicker
Word is out on the streets that there is going to be a mustard shortage. Will this be a big deal in the food/condiment world or pass like a fart in the wind? You choose.

I figure:

Mustard - the world wouldn't miss it much

Mayo - there'd be hefty fist-fights

Ketchup - worse than Mad Max

Ketchup masks the taste of your food, so it belongs no where near anything other than maybe french fries.  And you can dip fries in just about anything, so ketchup shouldn't be missed by anyone older than 12. 

Mustard is versatile, there's way more to it than just French's yellow.    

I love mayo but I get some people hate it.  So 50/50 opinions if this one went away. 

There are some mustards that are terrible and others that are awesome.  Since this is a generic description I will assume it's the basic mustard that is gone and I can live with that.  Plain yellow mustard gone.  

Mustard is so versatile with all it’s different variations . Big fan

can’t have a roast beef , Turkey, blt sandwiches without mayo. Need mayo for chuck salad , tuna and pot salad, slaw etc

I like ketchup but it’s a side for fries , it’s easily replaceable on a burger 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
The only things I ever use ketchup for are fries and occasionally on a burger - I can’t think of single other thing I put it on.  Easily could get rid of it.

Mustard is so versatile with all it’s different variations . Big fan

can’t have a roast beef , Turkey, blt sandwiches without mayo. Need mayo for chuck salad , tuna and pot salad, slaw etc

I like ketchup but it’s a side for fries , it’s easily replaceable on a burger 
Agreed. 

I am also a big fan of mixing catsup and Mayo. 

Ketchup masks the taste of your food, so it belongs no where near anything other than maybe french fries.  And you can dip fries in just about anything, so ketchup shouldn't be missed by anyone older than 12. 

Mustard is versatile, there's way more to it than just French's yellow.    

I love mayo but I get some people hate it.  So 50/50 opinions if this one went away. 
Correct 

Ranch.  :yes:  

ETA:  I like ketchup, but of the 3 listed I would probably miss it the least.

ETA2:  Mayo mixed with mustard is great on a ham, turkey, or roast beef sandwich.
Oddly, the only place I like ranch is in my buffalo chicken dip, but I get it. My own kids love the stuff.

Most BBQ sauces use ketchup as a base.  It would be hard to go thru life without BBQ sauce.

Mustard is so versatile.  A little dijon in scrambled eggs, spicy brown on a sandwich, horseradish mustard on baked ham...the list goes on and on.

The only thing I use mayo for is mixing with BBQ sauce to make a sauce to dip fries in. I can move forward in life without mayo I guess.

i can easily whip eggs and oil together for mayo.  not sure about making the others.
Yeah, I voted mayo because I think it is the most replaceable.

Also factored in that I have 6 year old and increased parenting challenges in a world without ketchup.

oof. each has their place depending on what you are doing. 

I voted Mayo for the idea of there being a shortage of the 3 but mostly because we make our own mayo at home sometimes. Total piece of cake if you have a food processor:

Add 1 egg, 1 TBS vinegar, salt/pepper to taste to the food processor and turn it on.

About 15 seconds later, very, very slowly start to pour in about 1.5 cups of vegetable oil - at first just a trickle at the start. Once it starts to coagulate, you can start pouring the oil in a faster. Once it's all added and combined, put it in a container and done. Will keep for a couple weeks or so in the fridge.

You can also get 'fancy' and flavor up the mayo with various spices - cayenne, cumin, etc. 

Most BBQ sauces use ketchup as a base.  It would be hard to go thru life without BBQ sauce.

Mustard is so versatile.  A little dijon in scrambled eggs, spicy brown on a sandwich, horseradish mustard on baked ham...the list goes on and on.

The only thing I use mayo for is mixing with BBQ sauce to make a sauce to dip fries in. I can move forward in life without mayo I guess.
I'm a big fan of mustard based BBQ, but good point. 

The great part is, if all the ketchup disappeared, people would be forced to make much better molasses-based sauces. 

Users who are viewing this thread