What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Insurance claim problem (1 Viewer)

stlrams

Footballguy
Short version, my brother lives in my fathers condo that had property damage from a fire 2 condos over.  I’m handling everything since my dad in nursing home and my brother is mentally challenged.  Supposedly the fire started from an improperly installed hot water heater.  The contractor was insured but I can’t get the insurance adjuster to return my emails or calls.  Normally I would go thru my dads insurance but no coverage for hotels expenses which are about 2k and another $700-800 for other pd in condo with 1k deductible.  What’s the next play?  

Short version, my brother lives in my fathers condo that had property damage from a fire 2 condos over.  I’m handling everything since my dad in nursing home and my brother is mentally challenged.  Supposedly the fire started from an improperly installed hot water heater.  The contractor was insured but I can’t get the insurance adjuster to return my emails or calls.  Normally I would go thru my dads insurance but no coverage for hotels expenses which are about 2k and another $700-800 for other pd in condo with 1k deductible.  What’s the next play?  

I mean certified letter is the obvious next step.  Would include photos and your current hotel situation.  Your insurance company may help you here also.

culdeus said:
I mean certified letter is the obvious next step.  Would include photos and your current hotel situation.  Your insurance company may help you here also.
The certified letter is absolutely your next step.

I will say though, having dealt with a house fire myself,  you might have to go through your own insurance anyway depending on what state you are in.

stlrams said:
Contact your insurance company.  That is what they are there for.

stlrams said:
I would recheck with your insurance company.  He should have additional living expense coverage as long as your dad’s condo had damage from a covered cause of loss, fire should be covered cause of loss, and I am assuming that the unit has smoke damage and needs cleaning, and damage to personal property, clothing, etc.   His company should pay after deductible and then subro the deductible back.  Going on your own could take a year or longer from the contractors insurance as they will do a long investigation, they may say mfg of water heater responsible, and you will fight with them.  No doubt the contractors insurance company will hire a cause and origin expect to defend their case.

I would recheck with your insurance company.  He should have additional living expense coverage as long as your dad’s condo had damage from a covered cause of loss, fire should be covered cause of loss, and I am assuming that the unit has smoke damage and needs cleaning, and damage to personal property, clothing, etc.   His company should pay after deductible and then subro the deductible back.  Going on your own could take a year or longer from the contractors insurance as they will do a long investigation, they may say mfg of water heater responsible, and you will fight with them.  No doubt the contractors insurance company will hire a cause and origin expect to defend their case.

Agreed - Just adding, if they pursue a subro claim either in formal litigation or not, @stlrams should tag along and include his deductible and any uncovered damages in the claim in addition to what his insurance company is claiming.

Insurance companies are pretty highly regulated. (As least they are in Texas and I assume other states). They have strict timelines in which they have to respond. If they don't follow these rules, they can be liable for additional damages. (Again - this is Texas but I assume similar in other states).

I'd strongly consider getting a lawyer or a public adjuster to help you.

Contact your insurance company.  That is what they are there for.
Correct, file a claim with your insurer and ask them for their procedures. If you pay out of pocket for your brother's lodging, then make sure you keep the payment documentation so you can include that cost in your reimbursement. How long ago was the fire and who is your condo policy with? Hiring your own lawyer or adjuster sounds like jumping the gun if the fire is still under investigation.

Insurance companies are pretty highly regulated. (As least they are in Texas and I assume other states). They have strict timelines in which they have to respond. If they don't follow these rules, they can be liable for additional damages. (Again - this is Texas but I assume similar in other states).

Texas has pretty favorable laws.  Hiring a private adjuster is damn near illegal in other states. If in Texas it's a no brainer. 

Agreed - Just adding, if they pursue a subro claim either in formal litigation or not, @stlrams should tag along and include his deductible and any uncovered damages in the claim in addition to what his insurance company is claiming.
There’s no coverage for extra living expenses as no formal lease between my dad and my brother.  And the other damages only total $700-$800 ( food in fridge and tv) which is under policy deductible so I can’t file claim.  The other pd damages are getting covered via condo association which include smoke damage, holes in ceilings from fireman etc.  

Doubt any lawyer interested in 3k pd claim.  There’s no money in it.

stlrams said:
There’s no coverage for extra living expenses as no formal lease between my dad and my brother.  And the other damages only total $700-$800 ( food in fridge and tv) which is under policy deductible so I can’t file claim.  The other pd damages are getting covered via condo association which include smoke damage, holes in ceilings from fireman etc.  
You can still report it. If you suffer property loss that's not your fault, the at-fault party (or their insurance) reimburses you. It works the same as a car accident that you're the victim of; just because the damage you suffer falls within your own policy's deductible amount doesn't mean you eat the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread