What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Intentionally stalling your rookie draft. (1 Viewer)

Raptors409

Footballguy
Context:

First 9 picks in our draft took 6 hours to complete. Great pace.

Now, currently waiting for 14+ hours on the guy at 1.12 to make his pick. I own the 2.01 and 2.02. Also had to wait 9 hours for the guy at 1.10 to make his pick yesterday due to work.

I've decided that in the spirit of being a tough guy and for having to wait a combined 23 hours and counting to move from pick 1.09 to 2.01, I am going to spend 8 hours a piece on my next 2 picks (excluding sleeping).

I already know who I'm taking but I'm triggered at this point. I want everyone in my league to be as annoyed as I am right now. My goal is to stretch my two picks out until May 2nd.

The best part? The guy who we're currently waiting on picks again after me at 2.03. So we're looking at potentially taking 3+ days to move from 1.10 to 2.03 after moving from 1.01 to 1.09 in 6 hours.

Anyone else in a similar situation?  I literally don't think this guys knows we started drafting. If this guy snipes my player at 1.12 after waiting 14 hours. I'm gonna flip.

1.01 - Josh Jacobs (RB)

1.02 - David Montgomery (RB)

1.03 - N'Keal Harry (WR)

1.04 - AJ Brown (WR)

1.05 - TJ Hockenson (TE)

1.06 - DK Metcalf (WR)

1.07 - Parris Campbell (WR)

1.08 - Marquise Brown (WR)

1.09 - Deebo Samuel (WR)

*9 hour wait*

1.10 - Miles Sanders (RB)

1.11 - Noah Fant (TE)

*14 hour wait and counting*

Last edited by a moderator:
We have waited months to have something to do in our leagues.  Why the big rush?  Guys may be familiarizing themselves with players, exploring trades etc.  I’ve never understood this complaint 
The guy we're waiting on last logged into our league:

50 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes ago

Guy is probably sitting on his couch eating potato chips as we speak.

:lmao:

So let me get this right:

You’re pissed off that a couple of guys made the league wait a few hours each before picking and you’ve decided that the proper course of action is to spitefully make the entire league wait some more hours?

I am so glad none of my leaguemates are remotely like you.  If a guy can’t pick for an extended time, usually they will notify the league so that the next couple of picks can stand down, but even when they don’t the worst repercussions are a few good natured barbs - that is if anyone says anything at all.

We’ve never used a timer in almost 20 years of a 14 team 8 round draft, and we’re almost always done in less than 10 days.  If anything, it almost goes too fast.

Tool move imo. Someone annoyed me, so I’m gonna annoy everyone else. If you have a reason fine but if you don’t and just want to spite everyone.......meh.

So let me get this right:

You’re pissed off that a couple of guys made the league wait a few hours each before picking and you’ve decided that the proper course of action is to spitefully make the entire league wait some more hours?

I am so glad none of my leaguemates are remotely like you.  If a guy can’t pick for an extended time, usually they will notify the league so that the next couple of picks can stand down, but even when they don’t the worst repercussions are a few good natured barbs - that is if anyone says anything at all.

We’ve never used a timer in almost 20 years of a 14 team 8 round draft, and we’re almost always done in less than 10 days.  If anything, it almost goes too fast.
If a "few hours" to you is 9 and 14+ exclusively. Then sure, that's exactly what is happening.

I would dive deeper into this conversation but the fact you read my post and chose to use verbiage to support your narrative instead of having an honest conversation shows you are being intellectually dishonest for the sake of argument.

Tool move imo. Someone annoyed me, so I’m gonna annoy everyone else. If you have a reason fine but if you don’t and just want to spite everyone.......meh.
Come on, it's fun! As has been pointed out by other posters here, what's the rush?!?

I'm going to have fun with it.

"Taking my son to soccer practice. Will make my pick afterwards."

"Sorry guys, got in an argument with the wife after practice. Will make my pick tomorrow morning before work."

"Didn't realize I had 2 back-to-back picks. Gotta watch some film. Give me a few more hours..."

"Suddenly, I have a tummy ache."

"I could have sworn I submitted my 2nd pick before bed last night. I haven't even checked the league since then. My bad, fellas."

Did you really expect anyone to respond to this with anything other than "you're being a tool"?

You're being a tool.
Technically, I'm not being a tool. I'm contemplating being a tool. 😂

Realistically, I'll probably stall for an hour or two for a few laughs (to an audience of myself) before getting bored and making my picks.

It's kind of like when you meet your daughter's boyfriend for the first time. You joke around with your wife using hyperbole about "how you're gonna kill him if he does XYZ".

Then you meet him and you still bust his balls but not to the degree you were joking around about earlier.

:)

How dare someone possibly get carried away with full time employment, families, volunteer work, etc, and ignore our magic football draft for half of a day with the regular season lurking a short four months away.  The nerve.
Exactly. Which is why nobody should have a problem with me taking the same amount of time to make my next two picks as he is taking for his.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. ;)

I get frustrated with it too, waiting for slower owners, but there is really no hurry. You have months yet before anything else happens. Slow down and enjoy it. Life is better while in a draft than not.

Context:

First 9 picks in our draft took 6 hours to complete. Great pace.

Now, currently waiting for 14+ hours on the guy at 1.12 to make his pick. I own the 2.01 and 2.02. Also had to wait 9 hours for the guy at 1.10 to make his pick yesterday due to work.

I've decided that in the spirit of being a tough guy and for having to wait a combined 23 hours and counting to move from pick 1.09 to 2.01, I am going to spend 8 hours a piece on my next 2 picks (excluding sleeping).

I already know who I'm taking but I'm triggered at this point. I want everyone in my league to be as annoyed as I am right now. My goal is to stretch my two picks out until May 2nd.

The best part? The guy who we're currently waiting on picks again after me at 2.03. So we're looking at potentially taking 3+ days to move from 1.10 to 2.03 after moving from 1.01 to 1.09 in 6 hours.

Anyone else in a similar situation?  I literally don't think this guys knows we started drafting. If this guy snipes my player at 1.12 after waiting 14 hours. I'm gonna flip.

1.01 - Josh Jacobs (RB)

1.02 - David Montgomery (RB)

1.03 - N'Keal Harry (WR)

1.04 - AJ Brown (WR)

1.05 - TJ Hockenson (TE)

1.06 - DK Metcalf (WR)

1.07 - Parris Campbell (WR)

1.08 - Marquise Brown (WR)

1.09 - Deebo Samuel (WR)

*9 hour wait*

1.10 - Miles Sanders (RB)

1.11 - Noah Fant (TE)

*14 hour wait and counting*
If you don’t have a pick timer on a slow draft, that’s your league’s fault. If you do have a timer, then tough #######. I chew up every minute of my timer until I have exhausted all trade routes I can think of and until I have the comprehensive knowledge to make the best pick possible. When I’m on the clock, that’s my time and I’ll use it as I see fit.

If you want to stall your picks in order to make the guy wait, you do you. You will be wasting your own time as well but it’s yours to waste. Just like when he’s on the clock, it’s his time to waste.

Waiting to pick can result in some nice trade offers.  I don't see it being a problem considering how far out we are from the season.

There’s one guy in every league like this, moaning and whining about how long people are taking to make picks. There’s no rush, spend the time on deck finalising who you want to take, explore potential trades. If you get to the point where you are concerned about the time you are taking to make a pick because others in the league are stressing about it, then it’s probably not a good league to be in.

I always pick too fast, then wish I waited. 

If you dont have a timer, that's your leagues fault.

If you have a 24 hour timer, then it's the time you have. vote to make it shorter. 

What you dont do is put your tool box hat on and irritate your league out of spite. 

There’s one guy in every league like this, moaning and whining about how long people are taking to make picks. There’s no rush, spend the time on deck finalising who you want to take, explore potential trades. If you get to the point where you are concerned about the time you are taking to make a pick because others in the league are stressing about it, then it’s probably not a good league to be in.
disagree with this somewhat, guys who wait until they are on the clock, then post pick is available for trade, get no offers yet wait 11 hours to pick are aholes. If everyone did that the draft would take 3 months. Giving a few hours is fine but milking the whole clock every pick is a crappy move

disagree with this somewhat, guys who wait until they are on the clock, then post pick is available for trade, get no offers yet wait 11 hours to pick are aholes. If everyone did that the draft would take 3 months. Giving a few hours is fine but milking the whole clock every pick is a crappy move
If one guy does this, I'm mostly okay with it unless he has multiple picks and does it every time.

It's when 5+ people do this in a row with no trades that gets really annoying. 

If one guy does this, I'm mostly okay with it unless he has multiple picks and does it every time.

well in my experience there is usually one guy that thinks he is Bill Belichick and it is his right to do this every time he is on the clock, could care less that 11 other guys hate it and is very self centered and doesn't realize what the experience would be like if everyone did it. They think, 'hey I paid my entry fee it is my right to use the whole clock every time if I want to'

man... making me nervous now. My draft starts this weekend and I have a few firsts. I am out of town, oit of good cell range, and my picks are likely to take a while. Now everyone will hate me if they dont already

UPDATE:

Team X just showed up and made his pick in 20 hours and 51 minutes but who's counting?!?! I promptly made both my picks at 2.01 and 2.02 (Kyler Murray and Darrell Henderson) to avoid being a tool like you were all gracious enough to inform me I am. :lol:

We are now back to waiting on Team X who coincidentally owns the 2.03. Here's to hoping he's cognitively aware enough to make his second pick of the night. However, my gut tells me he's probably banging his wife and going back to sleep.

Which means the draft would finish...... at the end of July? The horror.

It's was annoying back in the MFL10 days because you were talking about a redraft league costing $10 with no trades. A real league(especially dynasty) meh, I can understand it. I still get annoyed when the guy drafting back to back picks use the entire timer for both picks. If someone wasn't willing to give you what you want to trade for pick#24, guess what? Then nobody is going to give you what you want for pick #25 either.

Generally, I enjoy slow drafts. As long as I spend less time on the clock than someone else in the league then I am fine with it. I've often wondered why there wasn't a SLIGHT incentive to drafting faster. For instance in case of a tie during the season instead of going to the bench or using some other random measures just make the team that spent less time on the clock as tie-break-one. Most probably wouldn't draft any differently but I guarantee a few would.

It's my experience that when one person starts stalling the clock for this kind of time frame all momentum is the draft is lost, people start checking out, no one cares to be courteous. It just takes one to usually set the whole thing off in disarray.

UPDATE:

Team X just showed up and made his pick in 20 hours and 51 minutes but who's counting?!?! I promptly made both my picks at 2.01 and 2.02 (Kyler Murray and Darrell Henderson) to avoid being a tool like you were all gracious enough to inform me I am. :lol:

We are now back to waiting on Team X who coincidentally owns the 2.03. Here's to hoping he's cognitively aware enough to make his second pick of the night. However, my gut tells me he's probably banging his wife and going back to sleep.

Good for you in taking the high road.

UPDATE:

You did the right thing.  I send out one rule, and only one rule, to owners in the leagues I commish before the draft:  "Don't be that guy."  It's served me well.  Owners are allowed to consider who they're taking, investigate trades, and deal with life issues.  But just "don't be that guy."  That goes for all sides, the guys on the clock, the owners receiving offers, and those waiting for the pick.

If a person did this all of the time it could get annoying.  One time on the other hand could mean he was waiting to see if a player would fall to him before making a pick.  I've had it happen in the past where the guy I wanted gets taken and you are looking at the very top of a tier where you'd like to move back in that tier and see if you can accumulate a pick or move up in another round.  If you have time during the previous couple of picks you can tell folks you are thinking of trading down if one of your guys isn't there but if you get the bottom of that tier gone in a flurry you can be caught flatfooted. 

i find stalling to be a great strategy when trying to trade out of the pick.  at some point another owner will get so frustrated by the draft delay that they'll pony up just to get it going.

Men-in-Cleats said:
If a person did this all of the time it could get annoying.  One time on the other hand could mean he was waiting to see if a player would fall to him before making a pick.  I've had it happen in the past where the guy I wanted gets taken and you are looking at the very top of a tier where you'd like to move back in that tier and see if you can accumulate a pick or move up in another round.  If you have time during the previous couple of picks you can tell folks you are thinking of trading down if one of your guys isn't there but if you get the bottom of that tier gone in a flurry you can be caught flatfooted. 
agree with what you are saying 100%, what you describe I'd call good draft behavior, that wasn't what I was referring to. Some guys don't pay attention and don't really have a strong interest in trading a pick, then wait out mostly the whole clock in case a huge overpay comes in (almost never does) and then just picks. Usually this guy I'm describing does it every time and maybe makes one actual trade all draft.

UPDATE:

UPDATE 2:

Team X has still not made his day 2nd pick since this last post. We waited 20 hours and 51 minutes for his first pick and are currently on a 39 hour and 54 minute wait for his second pick.

#### this guy.

UPDATE 2:

Team X has still not made his day 2nd pick since this last post. We waited 20 hours and 51 minutes for his first pick and are currently on a 39 hour and 54 minute wait for his second pick.

#### this guy.
who is your commissioner and setup a draft with either no clock, or one that is well beyond the 12 hour max it should be?? You should look at changing your rules/settings

Or just play in a league with different rules? Just a thought.
Eh, this is my main dynasty I've been in the past 8 years or so. Never have had this problem.

Ultimately, it's just a minor inconvenience. But the circumstances just prove the guy is either an idiot or a scumbag.

1.12 - Team X

2.01 - Me

2.02 - Me

2.03 - Team X

Dude had to have known he had another pick coming up. He should have pre-drafted or popped his head in by now. Just super inconsiderate after making us wait 20 hours the first time around.

He either doesn't care or is blissfully ignorant. Doesn't excuse him either way.

When I'm on the clock and I'm trying to trade etc...I like to be courteous and let the league know what is going on so they know it may be a little while before I make my pick.

When I'm on the clock and I'm trying to trade etc...I like to be courteous and let the league know what is going on so they know it may be a little while before I make my pick.
:goodposting:

A little communication goes a long way toward defusing frustrations.  Letting people know you’re alive and working, and haven’t just tuned out the entire draft because you didn’t like your last pick should be basic draft courtesy.

I've only been in leagues with an 8 hour clock. People routinely try to get a leg up on other players by making picks right before bed or when they know other people will be busy, that's part of the fun.  One person was on a job site for 10 hours, but were able to get to a hard wired computer when cell reception was out to make their pick in time.

It's the commish/league's fault for not putting a cap. Obviously a rule is needed if people are getting frustrated with the state of things. If everyone is ok with a draft at a crawling pace, then no need to speed it up. I prefer a draft with a 4 hour time limit that is paused overnight. It gives people time to do research or trade, but also keeps things moving. 

We have a 24-hour time limit in my dynasty league (rookie draft). If you're the type to get antsy & call people out, it's not the league for you, LOL. We more or less expect teams to consider trade options, but we do have some quick picks.

As with many things in life (like the SP), it helps if people aren't douchbags. Everything goes MUCH smoother.

I founded a local high $$$ Dynasty League in 2001 that I have now been sole Commish of since the 2013 Season. The hard and fast rule regarding our August Rookie/Free Agent Draft is that despite the 8-hour clock we have in place, for the good of the League, once the draft begins, it's in the League's best interest for it to conclude as quickly as possible, and the League's best interest must always supercede what's best for an individual, especially concerning 'League things', like a Draft.

This is because the minute the Draft begins, everyone theoretically has the same pool of knowledge to draw from, and at that moment, every pick has a value based on that information. It's harmful to the League (in the sense of expanding the body of knowledge potentially increasing the value of subsequent picks) to let a Draft drag out during a period of time where the available information can increase, thus increasing a given pick's value. Everyone in our League gets and respects this, and tries very hard to either move their pick, or make it in a timely manner. When Owners suspect someone is dragging their feet, for any reason, the hecking begins, and although it could potentially get pretty intense (we've all known each other for a very long time, and we're a bunch of very strong personalities), it generally doesn't, as people are generally mindful and considerate of the greater good.

"Don't be 'that guy'" is exactly what should be the mindset going into a Draft, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread