What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting Op-Ed/Article About the Buzz Bissinger/Will Leitch Kerfuffle On The Costas Show and What It Meant - Deadspin (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I tried to explain this to wikkid about Boomers a bunch of times. I know he got what I was talking about because he was able to concede and sort of put it in perspective, but he never came to this article's conclusion. Funny, because it's an interesting article about generational differences in America as seen through the sports blogger/sports journalist divide.

I tried to explain this to wikkid about Boomers a bunch of times. I know he got what I was talking about because he was able to concede and sort of put it in perspective, but he never came to this article's conclusion. Funny, because it's an interesting article about generational differences in America as seen through the sports blogger/sports journalist divide.

Fun fact: Leitch was in my fantasy baseball league for a few years, including when this incident happened. He had once worked with a friend of mine who was also in the league and recruited him.

Dunno about his fantasy skills in general, but his performance in my league was not good.

Bissinger had some points, but the way in which he made his points was ridiculous.

Bissinger had some points, but the way in which he made his points was ridiculous.

Agreed. I think Bissinger admits it, too. If you read the article, the author follows up and Bissinger regrets how he handled it but doesn't back down from the substance of what he was saying.

Interesting about Leitch. I always hated the Deadspin for the same reason Bissinger did, and was never aware that there had been such a public kerfuffle about it. It was a cruel website curated by cruel people. I also understand the criticisms of what the bloggers were critiquing, though. They had a very good point. The last paragraph of the piece I linked was something I've thought for a long time. I don't know if you remember one of your seventies threads, but wikkid had gone off about our generation and I posted a Daft Punk video of them blowing themselves up at the height of their fame and powers. It seemed like our younger generation, being handed nothing but skepticism and irony and cynicism from our elders, had really nowhere to go but to blow it all up.

But that's pretty extreme and is just a metaphor.

Even though I knew Leitch personally, I rarely ever visited Deadspin. I respected that they rebelled against the sports journalism establishment, which deserved it, but I didn't actually enjoy most of their content. It was the sports version of supermarket tabloids, which I didn't have any interest in reading either. And I stopped viewing it altogether when Leitch left.

I agree with the points about Twitter. I never go there unless I have to for work. It's an absolute cesspool that facilitates our worst impulses.

I agree with the points about Twitter. I never go there unless I have to for work. It's an absolute cesspool that facilitates our worst impulses.

Yeah, I should back up. I don't think Leitch set out to be or meant to be cruel -- I think some of the people who he worked with were. He oversaw some stuff that is really questionable, but I'm not looking to indict his character, though I'll admit when I see a piece by him I can't shake that nauseated feeling. So maybe I am indicting him, really.

Regarding Twitter, I have a Twitter feed to keep abreast of football news, and I'll tell you, it even affects how otherwise normal people talk about fantasy football. It can be toxic, really.

"So the younger generation responded in kind, not with tradition, but with an all-out assault on it. They beat the establishment, then beat themselves, and in the end, almost nothing endured." 100% Buzz was right. Will was also right.

The author is right, too. No one hates football as much as Florio. NO ONE. He's the new boomer. And many of his generation hate the sports they are "experts" in. It's gross.

Even though I knew Leitch personally, I rarely ever visited Deadspin. I respected that they rebelled against the sports journalism establishment, which deserved it, but I didn't actually enjoy most of their content. It was the sports version of supermarket tabloids, which I didn't have any interest in reading either. And I stopped viewing it altogether when Leitch left.

I've heard Leitch on a sports talk show several times in the last few years. Still writing for the New Yorker. Pretty much an MLB-focused Buzz these days. I say that with no level of judgment...just observation. :)

Buzz was right. Will was also right.

The author is right, too.

That was my takeaway from it. Now one wonders if Bissinger would ever admit that the Greatest Generation was partially right about the Boomers.

My environment is unique these days, as the leader of a 3-person-family that devoutly attends a small Christian church in a small town. Tends VERY MUCH towards older folks, as much as we try to shift that pendulum from older than 40's (my age) to younger than 40's. Opinions on all manners of church life are abundant...every generation can find aught against the other, should they choose. We try to encourage true family-life, but people (especially Americans) are quite generational.

I could set up a round table tonight with an older man and younger man who would argue like Buzz and Will, should I choose. Instead, we encourage consistent, honest dialogue. Hopefully to the betterment of our town.

That was my takeaway from it. Now one wonders if Bissinger would ever admit that the Greatest Generation was partially right about the Boomers.

My environment is unique these days, as the leader of a 3-person-family that devoutly attends a small Christian church in a small town. Tends VERY MUCH towards older folks, as much as we try to shift that pendulum from older than 40's (my age) to younger than 40's. Opinions on all manners of church life are abundant...every generation can find aught against the other, should they choose. We try to encourage true family-life, but people (especially Americans) are quite generational.

I could set up a round table tonight with an older man and younger man who would argue like Buzz and Will, should I choose. Instead, we encourage consistent, honest dialogue. Hopefully to the betterment of our town.

I wish I could say I understood, but that's fairly foreign to me. I'm generally an unchurched agnostic. It must be edifying to have that sort of rock to build upon. I mean, I can relate because I grew up in a small family in a small town and was confirmed Catholic, but at this stage of my life, I wonder how modern debates work within the confines of a church setting. It seems fraught with problems, scripture and modernity. (And I don't mean modernity is good and scripture antiquated. Quite the contrary in a lot of cases.) It must be somewhat of a feat to pull off.

Last edited:

I wish I could say I understood, but that's fairly foreign to me. I'm generally an unchurched agnostic. It must be edifying to have that sort of rock to build upon. I mean, I can relate because I grew up in a small family in a small town and was confirmed Catholic, but at this stage of my life, I wonder how modern debates work within the confines of a church setting. It seems fraught with problems, scripture and modernity. (And I don't mean modernity is good and scripture antiquated. Quite the contrary in a lot of cases.) It must be somewhat of a feat to pull off.

I started a long paragraph that is not necessary here.

I only meant it as a point of relativity. Should not distract from the original point of the thread. But I enjoy discussing topics with you, so PM or wherever I'd be happy to continue. Maybe after I get some sleep. :)

started a long paragraph that is not necessary here.

I only meant it as a point of relativity. Should not distract from the original point of the thread. But I enjoy discussing topics with you, so PM or wherever I'd be happy to continue. Maybe after I get some sleep. :)

Oh, that's okay. It's fine unless you want it to be private. This whole thread was meant to stimulate discussion along these lines, so that would have been okay. It was sort of a heavy article when you think about it. But we can take it to PMs if you wish.

It's cool either way. Thanks for the compliment about discussing topics with me. Likewise, facook.

started a long paragraph that is not necessary here.

Oh, that's okay. It's fine unless you want it to be private. This whole thread was meant to stimulate discussion along these lines, so that would have been okay. It was sort of a heavy article when you think about it. But we can take it to PMs if you wish.

It's cool either way. Thanks for the compliment about discussing topics with me. Likewise, facook.

Maybe I'll expound tomorrow. I'm probably unique on these boards, from that faith perspective. Might stimulate discussion. Or expose me to ridicule. Either way, we both win!

Maybe I'll expound tomorrow. I'm probably unique on these boards, from that faith perspective. Might stimulate discussion. Or expose me to ridicule. Either way, we both win!

You know what? PM me. I'd like to think that wouldn't happen, but religion is such a sensitive topic that people might ridicule. I wouldn't want to see that.

My first exposure to Strauss was on podcasts, where I find him to be totally insufferable. But man, that dude can write.

This hits pretty close to how I feel about the subject. Deadspin, for the most part, was TMZ. The only reason I followed it was for Drew Magary, because I think he's really talented, and to read Dave McKenna's long-form pieces. Most of the rest of their stuff ranged from yawn-inducing to imbecilic trash.

However, anyone who fired shots on the extreme hubris of guys like Rick Reilly, Lupica, and Wilbon gets at least some credit in my book. And they were merciless on Bill Simmons, who isn't even a Boomer. All worthy targets, in my opinion.

. I don't know if you remember one of your seventies threads, but wikkid had gone off about our generation and I posted a Daft Punk video of them blowing themselves up at the height of their fame and powers. It seemed like our younger generation, being handed nothing but skepticism and irony and cynicism from our elders, had really nowhere to go but to blow it all up.
Wikkid and I had many conversations about Boomers (we're both late-gen) vs Gen X/Millennials. For the latter two groups to blame everything on Baby Boomers and call it a day is both lazy and flawed. However, it's also closer to the truth than it's not.

. I don't know if you remember one of your seventies threads, but wikkid had gone off about our generation and I posted a Daft Punk video of them blowing themselves up at the height of their fame and powers. It seemed like our younger generation, being handed nothing but skepticism and irony and cynicism from our elders, had really nowhere to go but to blow it all up.
Wikkid and I had many conversations about Boomers (we're both late-gen) vs Gen X/Millennials. For the latter two groups to blame everything on Baby Boomers and call it a day is both lazy and flawed. However, it's also closer to the truth than it's not.
And is it really all that different from the Boomers blaming everything on their parents’ and grandparents’ generations?

For the latter two groups to blame everything on Baby Boomers and call it a day is both lazy and flawed.

Agreed. It would seem that every generation has major errors that get imbued into the cultural and societal fabric and that those errors are best seen by those outside of the generation itself. And rightfully resented. That doesn't absolve any younger generation of its problematic defining characteristics, problematic ones being something Gen X/Millennials/Gen Z possess in droves. To rephrase the article, it's just that sometimes it takes an outsider, no matter how corrupt or depraved, to point out flaws inherent in systems.

Last edited:

And is it really all that different from the Boomers blaming everything on their parents’ and grandparents’ generations?
Nope. It's been happening forever

Users who are viewing this thread