What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Introducing... The FBG Street Team (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
Street Team Application

2009 is going to be an exciting year at Footballguys, and we want YOU to be part of it!

As part of our continuing effort to be the DEFINITIVE place for fantasy football advice and analysis and the best and biggest football community in the universe, FBG is taking applications to be part of "The Street Team".

WHAT... is the Street Team?

The FBG Street Team will first and foremost be part of a think tank and foot patrol to add to our FREE daily email update list. Street Team members will also represent the FBG community locally at events and assist in local media efforts to expand the reach of FBG and "get the word out".

WHY... is FBG launching the Street Team?
FBG is committed to bringing you the best cutting edge tools and coverage of the NFL and fantasy football. By expanding our base, we can fund ambitious new projects and emerging technologies and be responsive to the needs of the savvy FF players who want to stay ahead of the curve and DOMINATE their leagues!

WHAT... is in it for me?

Free Three Year Subscription
CASH Bonuses when Email Addresses you gather turn into Subscribers
FBG Street Team Polo
Access to an Exclusive Forum where you get a Direct Line to Staffers for Advice and FF Discussion
Free FBG Magazine BEFORE it hits the Newsstands
Access to New FBG Features BEFORE they Launch
The Opportunity to Compete against FBG Staffers and Sharpen your Drafting Chops in a Survivor Style Draft
The Chance to Win a Spot in a $1500 Cash Prize League for ONLY the Top Performing Street Team Members
Two Free One Year Subscriptions to Give to Your Friends
WHAT... does a Street Team Member Do?
For now, We will ask Street Team members to collect local contact information and to participate in strategy discussions for 2009. Next Year, you'll host a FBG event (For Example: Creating a FBG draft event at local sports bar, hosting a table at a major sports card show, setting up a Footballguys Spring Game Tailgate at a major college spring football scrimmage, and/or a Footballguys Training Camp Tailgate at a pro team camp.)

Reply in this thread if you're interested. We'll be posting a short application form very soon for those interested. Thanks for being a part of Footballguys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigmund Bloom said:
Access to an Exclusive Forum where you get a Direct Line to Staffers for Advice and FF Discussion
This caught my attention.I've heard people suggest many times over the years in the Shark Pool for a "subscribers only" forum where ranking and such could be discussed. The argument against, championed by many including the owners and staffers of FBGs, is that it would be a bad idea for it would water down the good discussion in the Shark Pool.

Assuming some of the more dedicated and knowledgeable posters join this "Street Team", won't this new "Exclusive Forum" water down the knowledge in the Shark Pool and doesn't it go against the previous rational for not having a "subscriber's only" forum?

I'm not #####ing here, I'm just asking...

Edit to add: I don't mean to rain on the parade of what seems like an interesting idea and I hope it didn't come off that way.

Sigmund Bloom said:
This caught my attention.I've heard people suggest many times over the years in the Shark Pool for a "subscribers only" forum where ranking and such could be discussed. The argument against, championed by many including the owners and staffers of FBGs, is that it would be a bad idea for it would water down the good discussion in the Shark Pool.

Assuming some of the more dedicated and knowledgeable posters join this "Street Team", won't this new "Exclusive Forum" water down the knowledge in the Shark Pool and doesn't it go against the previous rational for not having a "subscriber's only" forum?

Edit to add: I don't mean to rain on the parade of what seems like an interesting idea and I hope it didn't come off that way.
I thought the same thing.I'd love to do this - however I think the other five Australian people who give a toss about the NFL are already FBG subscribers!

Sigmund Bloom said:

We don't see the new forum as the new "home" forum of the street team as much it would be a place that street teamers could ask lineup/strategy/trades/clarification of articles, projections questions and get prompt answers, and a place to talk about and coordinate street team efforts and discuss new directions for FBG, whats working, whats not, and so on. I will definitely spend just as much time as I do now in Shark Pool, I'll just be checking to see if theres any outstanding requests or business to attend in the street team forum every time I step. Think of it as a street team clubhouse that staffers drop by occasionally.

Sigmund Bloom said:

We don't see the new forum as the new "home" forum of the street team as much it would be a place that street teamers could ask lineup/strategy/trades/clarification of articles, projections questions and get prompt answers, and a place to talk about and coordinate street team efforts and discuss new directions for FBG, whats working, whats not, and so on. I will definitely spend just as much time as I do now in Shark Pool, I'll just be checking to see if theres any outstanding requests or business to attend in the street team forum every time I step. Think of it as a street team clubhouse that staffers drop by occasionally.
Thanks for the quick reply, Bloom and this is the last I'll say on the subject so I don't hijack your thread any further.Of course, this forum and all the contents of FBG belongs to Driden, Dodds and the staffers so you can do as you please but how you describe it sounds a whole lot like the Shark Pool with the addition of a "a place to talk about and coordinate street team efforts". If strategy and such are discussed there, there is no way it doesn't water down the knowledge in the Shark Pool.

But again (obviously) you guys have every right to give "Street Team" members perks that us regular subscribers don't have. As in life, with rank comes the perks. :)

Sigmund Bloom said:

Thanks for the quick reply, Bloom and this is the last I'll say on the subject so I don't hijack your thread any further.Of course, this forum and all the contents of FBG belongs to Driden, Dodds and the staffers so you can do as you please but how you describe it sounds a whole lot like the Shark Pool with the addition of a "a place to talk about and coordinate street team efforts". If strategy and such are discussed there, there is no way it doesn't water down the knowledge in the Shark Pool.

But again (obviously) you guys have every right to give "Street Team" members perks that us regular subscribers don't have. As in life, with rank comes the perks. ;)
It's all good... As people ask questions, these ideas will get more refined. We welcome these questions...Of course the forum will take on a life of its own once launched, but I picture it more as a place you can say "Hey I was thinking I should start Dominic Rhodes over Pierre Thomas because of the matchup, am I crazy?", and me and/or some other staffers would drop in and say, no, Im also starting Rhodes over Slaton this week, or how can you bench Thomas when he's so hot?, but never reaching the full fledged discussion level of the Shark Pool - Also, the hope is that we would be bringing new quality people into the community with this effort, so overall the bar would be raised in the Shark Pool, and so on.

But please don't think that these questions, clarifications are not welcome, and don't feel like you need to apologize for raising a concern.

Sigmund Bloom said:

But again (obviously) you guys have every right to give "Street Team" members perks that us regular subscribers don't have. As in life, with rank comes the perks. ;)
There are 30,000+ FBGs. I think we can withstand the loss of a few of them to the Street Team forum. They are not as important as you think.

Here is a little more info on what we are trying to build here:

Essentially our macro goal is to add subscribers. That opens the door to many more things we want to do at Footballguys. Namely, we want to be producing video, become a bigger player in the NFL Draft, create more apps for Facebook, etc. We also have goals to add Mac apps, additional content, etc. And we really don't want to increase the cost of our subscription services as we add these features.

The big issue we have always faced is that people don't really want to share their secret weapon. Now some of you have told their friends, league-mates, etc, but many others have not. It's a weird dynamic as most any other business that gives great value for the money gets the bump from friends spreading the word. If we were a restaurant, nobody would hold back from telling people they enjoy what we are doing here. But as a fantasy football site where getting a guy on waivers could be the difference between winning and losing, it's a wonder we have been able to grow to the size we are now essentially just from word of mouth.

So with a macro goal of looking to add subscribers, how does FBG accomplish that? What we have found that worked in the past is that if we can expose people to our slate of free offerings: Audible, Message Board, Daily Email, free articles before the cutoff, etc, then we have an excellent chance of converting a high percentage of these people. We spend about 3-4 hours per day crafting the daily email that gets sent out in the preseason. People serious about fantasy football should be on this list in our opinion. We have a solid list of 85,000+ names, but that is still a rather small segment of the supposed 15 million that play fantasy football. Once on that list, it's our responsibility to try and convert this person into a paying subscriber.

We know many people will not pay for fantasy football info. And we are fine with that. But we also know many probably would be willing to pay for what we offer IF ONLY they had any idea that a pay site did as much as we do. We will publish over 50,000 pages of internet content this year and that's excluding the message boards and news. Add in all the free Audible episodes and we really are creating a tidal wave of content.

The goal of the Street Teams will essentially be to get people to find others interested in fantasy football within their communities. You can do that any number of ways. You guys will only be limited by your creativity here.

Each Team member selected will be responsible to collect 100 email addresses of people that play fantasy football. If they do that, they get the 3 year subscription, 2 one-year subscriptions for their friends, the polo shirt, exclusive message board access to our staff and other street teamers, etc as outlined by Sigmund above. We will also track each of these leads and any new subscribers that come from these leads will be given as credit to the street team member. Each new subscription over 10, the street team member will accrue $5 per additioanl new subscriber. So for example, if you had some events in your area and were able to solicit 1,000 email addresses....and 175 new subscriptions came from those leads, you would earn 165 x $5 = $825 for your efforts on top of the normal offerings. The top 12 leads/subscribers (will be a formula that considers both) will also participate in a $1500 fantasy football league.

Bottom line is this. We are confident in what we have created here and believe it represents great value in this space. We believe the product is an easy one to get behind and are taking the next logical step to recruit a slew of friends that will help with that effort.

Between staffers, bloggers, recappers and friends, we hope to have 200+ Street Team members in 2009 covering a large portion of the United States. Both from the Street Teams and some other not yet announced initiatives, we have a goal of adding at least 50,000 new fantasy football players to our always growing daily email list. This won't be easy, but with 15 million people playing fantasy football, we feel it's our time to try our best to reach out and educate people to what we are doing at Footballguys.

I picture Fantasy Football For Dummies seminars at the Holiday Inn.

The greatest ROI to be had here in terms of subscriptions is in the recruiting of brand new fantasy players.

I have no stats to back it up but my educated guess would be the longer you play fantasy sports without paying for a premium content provider, the less likely you are to begin doing so.

The money in this business is to be made from people just starting out. Also, 78% of the revenue in this industry is repeat business. Fantasy folks are a loyal demographic and they tend to do what they've always done.

I'm interested. I'm based in Chicago so I have easy access to the events mentioned. Would we have access to any FBG materials for event tables/tailgates? Would there be any sort of reimbursement for entry into these events?

would footballguys like to sponsor the Beer Olympics i will be having at my house this spring?

You planning on putting together mini-teams of people in NFL cities? I'm interested but putting together a major event and trying to get some air-time on local radio could be quite the chore. Now, if we get 3 Indy locals, I'm guessing getting some stuff rolling and getting 300 total wouldn't be too difficult. DJ, Switz, anyone else interested?

I think it sounds fun, as I've always wanted to give JMV a call and dispute some of the complete garbage advice he gets from "experts" he sets up. If nothing else, maybe could get a reserved spot in the forums or something?

This is definitely an interesting marketing plan, and one I would like to get behind and support.

I admit, I am guilty of exactly what David talks about...I don't mention FootballGuys.com and everything that the website has to offer in more competitive leagues, in-part because of a desire to stay on the leading edge and at the top of the league. This website continues to evolve, make the game better and improve those owners who are consistently at the top. Fellow owners, stand tall in your support of FootballGuys.com and challenge them to beat you with your hidden tool!

As I am in a sales role in a male-dominated industry, I see plenty of opportunities for making new contacts for FootballGuys.com, and likewise building relationships that will help my business grow too. :goodposting:

This is interesting. Selling the features and info from this site to FF players who don't know what it offers would be pretty easy to do. The thing that jumps out at me is who foots the bill for tables at shows, sponsored events, etc. Who is responsible for getting permission to set up a booth at say, Jets camp? And who would pay the tab? Would you consider propsals for particlar promo operations? Have you given any thought to obtaining co-sponsors, such as say, Guinness beer for a pub promo? On site pub draft parties? Would give-away promo items be supplied? Would any display table ad/promo suitable for use in a football oriented pub event or related sports oriented show be available? What sort of hard copy promo material for handouts describing the site's benefits could be provided?

That is the tricky part. Are you willing to offer any support for up front recuitment costs? If it's an Amway deal... no interest on my part. By that I mean little to no support. Then, it gets tricky on your end in deciding how much and which applicants are worth the investment risk. Doing this will require at least some capital if it is to be done right.

If you are bottom line, looking for a free recruitment expansion team with no investment, it may come off as amatuerish. That reflects on the site and could actually be counter productive. I can see this working, but like most things, it would take time and money. If it was done and came off as slick and professional... it would work. If some guy rents a table at a sports card show with a sharpy poster hung in front of a curtain... it won't.

For instance, I could do the legwork for a small tent at Jets camp, but it won't be free. They want some $ to set up a small tent. how much, I don't know, but that is the sort of legwork I could easilly do indendently. If they want $500 for a tent for 3 weekends, that's a different story.

I'm interested, but have a LOT of questions. Once more details are provided, I can better answer if I would want to be a part of it.

This is interesting. Selling the features and info from this site to FF players who don't know what it offers would be pretty easy to do. The thing that jumps out at me is who foots the bill for tables at shows, sponsored events, etc. Who is responsible for getting permission to set up a booth at say, Jets camp? And who would pay the tab? Would you consider propsals for particlar promo operations? Have you given any thought to obtaining co-sponsors, such as say, Guinness beer for a pub promo? On site pub draft parties? Would give-away promo items be supplied? Would any display table ad/promo suitable for use in a football oriented pub event or related sports oriented show be available? What sort of hard copy promo material for handouts describing the site's benefits could be provided? That is the tricky part. Are you willing to offer any support for up front recuitment costs? If it's an Amway deal... no interest on my part. By that I mean little to no support. Then, it gets tricky on your end in deciding how much and which applicants are worth the investment risk. Doing this will require at least some capital if it is to be done right. If you are bottom line, looking for a free recruitment expansion team with no investment, it may come off as amatuerish. That reflects on the site and could actually be counter productive. I can see this working, but like most things, it would take time and money. If it was done and came off as slick and professional... it would work. If some guy rents a table at a sports card show with a sharpy poster hung in front of a curtain... it won't. For instance, I could do the legwork for a small tent at Jets camp, but it won't be free. They want some $ to set up a small tent. how much, I don't know, but that is the sort of legwork I could easilly do indendently. If they want $500 for a tent for 3 weekends, that's a different story. I'm interested, but have a LOT of questions. Once more details are provided, I can better answer if I would want to be a part of it.
These are all very good points. I live in an NFL city and I know for a fact that the team would absolutely charge to set something up at their training camp facility if they let you set something up there at all. The same goes for a college football spring game. You would have to pay a vendor fee in order to set up on the campus. You need to look into putting together a uniform sales/vendor package of materials that looks professional. Signage would be a must at the type of events you are talking about.Just a few thoughts. I remain interested but there are a lot of questions to be answered.

This is interesting. Selling the features and info from this site to FF players who don't know what it offers would be pretty easy to do. The thing that jumps out at me is who foots the bill for tables at shows, sponsored events, etc. Who is responsible for getting permission to set up a booth at say, Jets camp? And who would pay the tab? Would you consider propsals for particlar promo operations? Have you given any thought to obtaining co-sponsors, such as say, Guinness beer for a pub promo? On site pub draft parties? Would give-away promo items be supplied? Would any display table ad/promo suitable for use in a football oriented pub event or related sports oriented show be available? What sort of hard copy promo material for handouts describing the site's benefits could be provided? That is the tricky part. Are you willing to offer any support for up front recuitment costs? If it's an Amway deal... no interest on my part. By that I mean little to no support. Then, it gets tricky on your end in deciding how much and which applicants are worth the investment risk. Doing this will require at least some capital if it is to be done right. If you are bottom line, looking for a free recruitment expansion team with no investment, it may come off as amatuerish. That reflects on the site and could actually be counter productive. I can see this working, but like most things, it would take time and money. If it was done and came off as slick and professional... it would work. If some guy rents a table at a sports card show with a sharpy poster hung in front of a curtain... it won't. For instance, I could do the legwork for a small tent at Jets camp, but it won't be free. They want some $ to set up a small tent. how much, I don't know, but that is the sort of legwork I could easilly do indendently. If they want $500 for a tent for 3 weekends, that's a different story. I'm interested, but have a LOT of questions. Once more details are provided, I can better answer if I would want to be a part of it.
These are all very good points. I live in an NFL city and I know for a fact that the team would absolutely charge to set something up at their training camp facility if they let you set something up there at all. The same goes for a college football spring game. You would have to pay a vendor fee in order to set up on the campus. You need to look into putting together a uniform sales/vendor package of materials that looks professional. Signage would be a must at the type of events you are talking about.Just a few thoughts. I remain interested but there are a lot of questions to be answered.
After rereading what FBG aid in this thread, it sounds like they are looking for email addys, and that's about it for now. For that, you get free subscriptions, and perhaps some $ if any of the email addys you supplied end up subscribing. Sounds like a feeling out period to me. An idea still in it's infancy. I'm not big on doing the "Life Insurance salseman" pitch, personally. You know, that new insurance guy that only wants to talk to you about your insurance. He used to be a good guy, now he just bugs the heck out of you for sales opportuntities.I have a lot of trade show experience, and know how to negotiate, get co-sponsors by contacting local (to use my previous example) sales reps from a company like Guinness to do a joint event and have some contacts in the Jets organization. At that level, I am very interested. Scrounging around for 100 email addys does not excite me at all. I'll pay for my subscription, ya know? This sounds like a good idea but again, in infancy. A no risk way to recruit. I think if it were me, I'd go to say, MFL and go after expansion together as partners with a plan. BTW..... I was featured in an article in Newsday 3 years ago as a FF player, espousing the benefits of FBG (sorry, mentioned the Huddle too) complete with color pics of my FF trophies and my ugly mug in the "Life Section". Got a lot of grief from my local for that one. So, you guys owe me already! LOL....

This is interesting. Selling the features and info from this site to FF players who don't know what it offers would be pretty easy to do. The thing that jumps out at me is who foots the bill for tables at shows, sponsored events, etc. Who is responsible for getting permission to set up a booth at say, Jets camp? And who would pay the tab? Would you consider propsals for particlar promo operations? Have you given any thought to obtaining co-sponsors, such as say, Guinness beer for a pub promo? On site pub draft parties? Would give-away promo items be supplied? Would any display table ad/promo suitable for use in a football oriented pub event or related sports oriented show be available? What sort of hard copy promo material for handouts describing the site's benefits could be provided? That is the tricky part. Are you willing to offer any support for up front recuitment costs? If it's an Amway deal... no interest on my part. By that I mean little to no support. Then, it gets tricky on your end in deciding how much and which applicants are worth the investment risk. Doing this will require at least some capital if it is to be done right.
Rovers,FBG will be providing the promo items and a budget for events, and we'll not only consider proposals for promo operations, we consider this whole thing a collaborative effort. The street team might be the equivalent of foot soldiers, but they'll be officers, not PFCs. We're definitely interested in teaming up with sponsors. These are good concerns/ideas to raise, and I'm glad you gave us a chance to address them in this thread.

We are finishing up the application details, but we will be asking what people's approach will be. Like Sigmund said, there is an overall budget to do some bigger things. Some people will get their names by talking in bars. Others might sent up a tent like Rovers stated. We understand some initiatives will cost additional money. The trick here is outline what your strategy is and what we will get in return. We need initiatives that end in a high number of possible leads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread