What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Introducing your Washington Bravehearts (1 Viewer)

As a Scot this is pretty offensive, shut it down.
I take offense to this name also. My English heritage and lineage is strong. Use of the word "braveheart" offends me. The Scots were brave and had heart. Does this signify that my ancestors had none? This paints A bad picture of England. Our people will not stand for it.

My uncle McSack is scottish. He doesn't like the name. He says it stereotypes all Scots as savage people.

Washington Warriors has a ring to it. I can see it going that route eventually. The PC tide won't be stemmed by one stubborn fan base and owner. And I'm no PC monger - in fact, I'd rather they stay the Redskins if it were my choice alone - but "red" "skins" is comically incorrect from a PC standpoint.
Having a name that refers to the color of someone's skin, especially when it was used historically as a racist epithet, isn't right no matter how anyone tries to justify it. If Native Americans care enough about it being changed to start protesting at the games then it should be.
9 people protested at the Skins/Packers game last month. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23662838/look-redskins-protest-by-wisconsin-tribe-seems-to-have-fizzled
I went to a Braves/Cardinals game about 8 years ago and there were two people there protesting. I guess they have to change their name too...

"In other news, the owner of a German soccer team is fighting back against suggestions of tone-deafness and idiocy. The name of the team the Berlin Kikes and the team logo depicting a rail thin Jewish woman shining a nickel has drawn criticism in recent weeks. The owner commented, 'i think I speak for sane people everywhere when i say people are just too darn PC these days and are ruining out traditions!'"
Trying too hard. If people don't get that it's insensitive, even with the long and storied history, this kind of sarcasm goes over their heads as well.

The Washington Burning Men! The wouldn't even need to change the logo.
If they wanted to keep the logo they could also do the Washington Darker Complexion With Braids and Feathers in Hair. Flows well.
Burning Men is short hand for really sunburned, unwashed skinny white dudes, doing drugs and wearing women's clothes (and accessories) at an outdoor music festival.

"In other news, the owner of a German soccer team is fighting back against suggestions of tone-deafness and idiocy. The name of the team the Berlin Kikes and the team logo depicting a rail thin Jewish woman shining a nickel has drawn criticism in recent weeks. The owner commented, 'i think I speak for sane people everywhere when i say people are just too darn PC these days and are ruining out traditions!'"
Trying too hard. If people don't get that it's insensitive, even with the long and storied history, this kind of sarcasm goes over their heads as well.
I don't get it. Are we trying to say the Washington Redskins picked that name because they want to be associated with all kinds of negative stereotypes? I think teams generally choose names from a place of respect.

I don't get it. Are we trying to say the Washington Redskins picked that name because they want to be associated with all kinds of negative stereotypes? I think teams generally choose names from a place of respect.
Perhaps we should put a team in Mississippi and call them the Birmingham Blackies out of respect for the workers in the cotton fields. Point being is that when the name "Redskins" was picked back in the day, it wasn't offensive to a good portion of a very ignorant and mainly racist population at the time. Times and people have changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps we should put a team in Mississippi and call them the Birmingham Blackies out of respect for the workers in the cotton fields. Point being is that when the name "Redskins" was picked back in the day, it wasn't offensive to a good portion of a very ignorant and mainly racist population at the time. Times and people have changed.
Dude, you couldn't be more wrong - Birmingham is in Alabama.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Birmingham&state=MS ....and I hear it's lovely this time of year. Now apologize :bye:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Birmingham&state=MS Now apologize :bye:
If this city has a police department with at least 2 cars and 4 officers I'll apologize :)

If this city has a police department with at least 2 cars and 4 officers I'll apologize :)
I count at least 3 cop cars in this rivoting news story: http://www.wlox.com/story/23782046/birmingham-police-officer-involved-in-wreck :bye:

I count at least 3 cop cars in this rivoting news story: http://www.wlox.com/story/23782046/birmingham-police-officer-involved-in-wreck :bye:
I apologize for lying, but I will not apologize for the first comment :)

This report is from Birmingham, Al

Dr. Maria Yellow Horse Braveheart...

Linky

Dr. Maria Yellow Horse Braveheart, PhD, conceptualized historical trauma in the 1980's, as a way to develop stronger understanding of why life for many Native Americans is not fulfilling "the American Dream".
Snyder Someone just might be onto something with this name. ;)

Edited to add Linky... :doh:

This report is from Birmingham, Al
You don't have to get all technical. :cool:

I'm not sure of all the hows and whys of a word transitioning from 'not offensive' to 'offensive'. I guess the only way to define it is, when enough people say it's offensive, it becomes offensive? Surely intent isn't a primary factor, since many words that might be used with intent to offend are not innately 'offensive', and we are meant to accept that the Redskins team name which is clearly not intended to offend is or should be considered innately offensive.

Probably will never change it to Warriors. That would offend some moron somewhere because it has "war" in it.

Next will be the Giants. Large people should be outraged.
You kid, but the Washington Bullets changed their name because they were afraid of the connotation of the word "bullets" in association with the high murder rate in DC. It's really not rational.

Probably will never change it to Warriors. That would offend some moron somewhere because it has "war" in it.

You kid, but the Washington Bullets changed their name because they were afraid of the connotation of the word "bullets" in association with the high murder rate in DC. It's really not rational.
"They" was Abe Pollin, the owner of the team, who decided to do it after his good friend Itzak Rabin was murdered with a gun. It was a personal thing. Yes, he said the ridiculous murder rate in DC at the time was a factor, but the Rabin assassination was his primary motivation.

Yes, I know. Actually, I think pretty much everyone knows that.

He should fire back threatening to change the name to the Washington Corruption or Washington Red Budgets.
I like the Corruption one. Or we could go with the Washington Neanderthals. I think they are all dead now so they won't piss and moan about it. It also fits the theme in Washington.

He should fire back threatening to change the name to the Washington Corruption or Washington Red Budgets.
I like the Corruption one. Or we could go with the Washington Neanderthals. I think they are all dead now so they won't piss and moan about it. It also fits the theme in Washington.
http://cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/caveman_3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread