What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Introducing your Washington Bravehearts (1 Viewer)

Futz

Footballguy
Skins may be taking steps to become Bravehearts by Will | NFL Writer

October 25, 2013 6:02 PM CBSsports

Would the Redskins change their name to Bravehearts?

In recent weeks Redskins owner Dan Snyder has seemed to warm up to the idea of changing the Redskins name. So the report that a wealthy neighbor of his applied for a patent to lock down the name Washington Bravehearts is more than a little spicy.

According to TMZ, Aris Mardirossian, "a wealthy patent investor" who lives "a few doors down" from Dan Snyder, registered the name "WASHINGTON BRAVEHEARTS" on Oct. 17.

CBSSports.com has also learend Mardirossian registered the domain WashingtonBravehearts.com on October 18.

The patent license, per TMZ, is for "entertainment in the nature of football games."

TMZ also obtained the LLC filings (.PDF) for Washington Brave Hearts, LLC.

First impressions of this: What a potentially awesome move. Bravehearts is a sick name and -- unless I'm totally insensitive -- not offensive. It maintains much of the same sense of the name Redskins, but gets rid of the whole, pesky, we're-offending-an-entire-culture thing.

Remember that Snyder recently hired a PR dude who specializes in crisis management. He knows the lay of the land.

Will you remember where you were when TMZ broke the story of the Redskins changing their name to Bravehearts? Probably not. Maybe this is all smoke and no fire but what a freaking world we live in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhm, does this mean we will now have an offensive picture of a Gaelic warrior as a logo now?

People are going to find portrayals of fighting Irish in this light very offensive, I fear.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/25/redskins-say-theres-no-connection-to-bravehearts-trademark/

The Redskins have forwarded the following statement to PFT in response to the item regarding the registration of the name “Washington Bravehearts” for federal trademark protection.

“There is no connection between the trademark and the Washington Redskins,” the team said. ”Dan Snyder does not know the man that was reported in the story.”
That and Snyder trademarked the Washington Warriors years ago. Why would he need a neighbor to trademark a team name for him?

I'm glad I'm not a Redskins fan because I would hate to have to have my favorite team's name change mostly because some oversensitive white guys think they know what's offensive and what's not. Bravehearts? Seriously?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/25/redskins-say-theres-no-connection-to-bravehearts-trademark/

The Redskins have forwarded the following statement to PFT in response to the item regarding the registration of the name Washington Bravehearts for federal trademark protection.

There is no connection between the trademark and the Washington Redskins, the team said. Dan Snyder does not know the man that was reported in the story.
That and Snyder trademarked the Washington Warriors years ago. Why would he need a neighbor to trademark a team name for him?
Maybe an attempt to keep it under wraps just in case the national pressure intensifies and they go ahead with a change.

Snyder isn't changing the name - Doesn't appear to be the kinda guy who gets bullied.
He isnt. However, he likes his money. And if/when this starts to hit his wallet, then he will change it. I think its stupid and if they are going to change it there are plenty other teams that should change theirs. But i would be shocked if they are still named the redskins in 3 years.

I will say if this truly is unrelated, this guy made a brilliant move. i need to think of some simlar names and start trademarking them!

Washington Warriors has a ring to it. I can see it going that route eventually. The PC tide won't be stemmed by one stubborn fan base and owner. And I'm no PC monger - in fact, I'd rather they stay the Redskins if it were my choice alone - but "red" "skins" is comically incorrect from a PC standpoint.

My first reaction was "oh, Snyder's 'neighbor' registered the name so that the team will be 'forced' to buy it from him - nice little payday for Snyder's 'neighbor', huh?" - but apparently Snyder denies knowing this guy? So he's just a trademark troll or squatter. Non-story.

Snyder isn't changing the name - Doesn't appear to be the kinda guy who gets bullied.
I'm hardly a PC fanboy, but there's not question that the Redskin name offends many, and apparently for good reason (it's not just a moniker for a people, but an actual slur). Within that context, not sure how Snyder is the one being bullied here... seems far more the bullying type in any case.

Washington Warriors has a ring to it. I can see it going that route eventually. The PC tide won't be stemmed by one stubborn fan base and owner. And I'm no PC monger - in fact, I'd rather they stay the Redskins if it were my choice alone - but "red" "skins" is comically incorrect from a PC standpoint.
Having a name that refers to the color of someone's skin, especially when it was used historically as a racist epithet, isn't right no matter how anyone tries to justify it. If Native Americans care enough about it being changed to start protesting at the games then it should be.

As someone who is afflicted with a condition that requires a heart to survive, I am offended by this potential name change as it sensationalizes the organ, thus suggesting it's naturally "brave". This is a generalization that further offends me.

Yeah, I like Warriors over Bravehearts for sure.

Having a name that refers to the color of someone's skin, especially when it was used historically as a racist epithet, isn't right no matter how anyone tries to justify it. If Native Americans care enough about it being changed to start protesting at the games then it should be.
9 people protested at the Skins/Packers game last month. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23662838/look-redskins-protest-by-wisconsin-tribe-seems-to-have-fizzled

I'm glad I'm not a Redskins fan because I would hate to have to have my favorite team's name change mostly because some oversensitive white guys think they know what's offensive and what's not. Bravehearts? Seriously?
:goodposting:
Ironic how offended you overly sensitive white guys are to the potential of a long overdue name change. And you have nO ####### clue what you are talking about on the subject. Go have a chat when some folks in the Navajo Nation. I went to school with a number of them, and while they have more important things to spend their energy on, the Redskins name has always been a huge WTF. Massive example of tone-deafness. Stop acting like you have any idea who thinks what. You sound like idiots.

If the redskins have to change their name, the Cleveland Indians better change their logo or they will be the next target of these morons. The name has a rich history attached to it, if you change it many people will forget. There is a point where trying to be too politically correct becomes redundant.

9 people protested at the Skins/Packers game last month. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23662838/look-redskins-protest-by-wisconsin-tribe-seems-to-have-fizzled
That's fine, these things take time. Not to compare the two on levels of importance, but it took 9 years from the Montgomery bus boycotts to the signing of the Civil Rights Act.

Rumor is that they tried to change their name to the Washington Purpleskins but Barney was offended. Looks like they decided to drop the whole color thing.

If the redskins have to change their name, the Cleveland Indians better change their logo or they will be the next target of these morons. The name has a rich history attached to it, if you change it many people will forget. There is a point where trying to be too politically correct becomes redundant.
That logo is offensive to graphic artists everywhere.

Probably will never change it to Warriors. That would offend some moron somewhere because it has "war" in it.

Next will be the Giants. Large people should be outraged.

A classic. Sure to be the next target. You don't #### with Chief Wahoo.

Just watched a clip from The Indian in the Cupboard where the little cowboy is watching an old tv show of Native Americans fighting Cowboys. Dude calls them a redskin and uses it in a derogatory manner.

Little indian proceeds to shoot an arrow into little cowboy's heart. #### was mad funny. God I forgot how awful that movie was...

A classic. Sure to be the next target. You don't #### with Chief Wahoo.
Classic what? What is a wahoo anyway?

"In other news, the owner of a German soccer team is fighting back against suggestions of tone-deafness and idiocy. The name of the team the Berlin Kikes and the team logo depicting a rail thin Jewish woman shining a nickel has drawn criticism in recent weeks. The owner commented, 'i think I speak for sane people everywhere when i say people are just too darn PC these days and are ruining out traditions!'"

Users who are viewing this thread