What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

Using this thing during my subway commute yesterday was just so sweet. I carry it in my hand in the Apple case, headphones plugged in and listening to music (I recommend the Apple headphones, or another pair with the controls on them that are compatible -- makes it so much easier to change volume, pause, or skip songs without interrupting what you are doing on screen, particularly a concern without multitasking), and I'm reading the NYTimes that I had just updated before I got on the subway (I haven't read the news in years -- now I read once or twice a day), then I am heading over a bridge and get 3G service -- a couple of e-mails come in, jot out a couple quick replies, find out it's my turn in my scrabble game (Words with Friends) with my chick, make my turn then switch over to a work PDF agreement that I need to review, and after that I'm back to browsing the Times again. It really is so awesome.

A new gripe: the battery is large and takes a long time to drain, but it also takes a long time to charge. You really need to plug it in overnight to get a max charge the next day (with my iPod Nano, I plug it in for 10 minutes and it gets a huge charge).

Another gripe: I received a word doc via e-mail that I couldn't open. I don't know if it's because it was a weird format (in track changes), or if it doesn't open Word docs at all, but it's something I need to look into, because in a work-related pinch that could be incredibly frustrating.

Using this thing during my subway commute yesterday was just so sweet. I carry it in my hand in the Apple case, headphones plugged in and listening to music (I recommend the Apple headphones, or another pair with the controls on them that are compatible -- makes it so much easier to change volume, pause, or skip songs without interrupting what you are doing on screen, particularly a concern without multitasking), and I'm reading the NYTimes that I had just updated before I got on the subway (I haven't read the news in years -- now I read once or twice a day), then I am heading over a bridge and get 3G service -- a couple of e-mails come in, jot out a couple quick replies, find out it's my turn in my scrabble game (Words with Friends) with my chick, make my turn then switch over to a work PDF agreement that I need to review, and after that I'm back to browsing the Times again. It really is so awesome.

A new gripe: the battery is large and takes a long time to drain, but it also takes a long time to charge. You really need to plug it in overnight to get a max charge the next day (with my iPod Nano, I plug it in for 10 minutes and it gets a huge charge).

Another gripe: I received a word doc via e-mail that I couldn't open. I don't know if it's because it was a weird format (in track changes), or if it doesn't open Word docs at all, but it's something I need to look into, because in a work-related pinch that could be incredibly frustrating.
Strange. Did you buy iWork? I would think Pages should open a .doc with no problems.Pages

- View and edit existing documents by importing Pages ’09 or Microsoft Word files from Mail attachments or the web.

- Share your work by exporting it to Pages ’09, Microsoft Word, or PDF and sending it via Mail. Or publish to iWork.com public beta.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strange. Did you buy iWork? I would think Pages should open a .doc with no problems.
Yup, I bought pages Day 1. I know the document had track changes in it, I wonder if it struggled with that. Or I wonder if it somehow struggled with knowing that trying to open a *.doc from e-mail should launch Pages?Anyway, it seemed odd, but I haven't had a chance to look at it more closely yet.

Strange. Did you buy iWork? I would think Pages should open a .doc with no problems.
Yup, I bought pages Day 1. I know the document had track changes in it, I wonder if it struggled with that. Or I wonder if it somehow struggled with knowing that trying to open a *.doc from e-mail should launch Pages?Anyway, it seemed odd, but I haven't had a chance to look at it more closely yet.
could be either an old Word format or .docx too

I have a few friends who swear by the GoodReader app and it seems to claim to open word docs. Haven't tried it myself though.

This has been a long time coming. We'll try and get weekly updates doing with this. I'm also working on a draft dominator-type app (both iPad and Android platforms).

***OFFICIAL*** Coach Otis' Annoying iPad Hater Rankings

1. The Commish (Rising)

Guy quickly worked his way to the top of the charts with his high post count and yet claimed disinterest in the iPad. Claims to come in here to watch trainwrecks, but consistently becomes the biggest trainwreck of all. He's a late-comer to the thread, and is working at half the post count of LokiKx, but has really shined in recent weeks. His finishing move is to drop by to make fun of a point someone made, get clobbered with evidence opposing his view, and then to put on a breathtaking display of flawed logic to try and avoid the inevitable. A true star in the making, and this week's lock for the top spot.

2. LokiKx (Neutral)

I'm pretty sure this guy had another username in the earlier Apple threads, then swapped over to this one after getting banned. Not as bad as the #1 seed, but guy clearly is blinded by his Apple hatred. Doesn't seem to have any interest in the iPad, but regularly pops in simply to post any negative press he can possibly find on the device. Has posted no less than 163 times in this thread, most of which are to jokes about the iPad being a big iPhone, or to post a link we've already seen 14 times (and which wasn't all that funny the first time). About as clever as your average garden gnome, but a bizarre mix of infatuation and dedication happening here, and we've got high hopes for this kid.

3. Card Trader (Falling)

Started off as a frontrunner based on his solid body of work in other Apple-related threads and his admitted affiliation with android. Claims to have had an iPad in his office for testing purposes the month before release. Has become a bit more fair and balanced in recent weeks.

4. gmbacm (Neutral)

Just outside the top ten in post count, and has, like Goggins, eased back on the throttle recently. However, based on what we saw from him at the combines, we suspect he's got a second wind, and we're expecting big things from him in coming weeks, particularly once the 3G version is released.

5. Goggins (Falling)

Guy came out of the gates strong, but has (as would most sane people) shown waning interest in recent weeks.

6. 3C's (Neutral)

Top ten in post count and top ten in Fanboi hate, but not sufficiently annoying because he doesn't seem to get involved in the substantive discussion. Known for the drive-by one-liner and then disappearing.
:lmao:

I was in Costa Rica

This has been a long time coming. We'll try and get weekly updates doing with this. I'm also working on a draft dominator-type app (both iPad and Android platforms).

1. The Commish (Rising)

Guy quickly worked his way to the top of the charts with his high post count and yet claimed disinterest in the iPad. Claims to come in here to watch trainwrecks, but consistently becomes the biggest trainwreck of all. He's a late-comer to the thread, and is working at half the post count of LokiKx, but has really shined in recent weeks. His finishing move is to drop by to make fun of a point someone made, get clobbered with evidence opposing his view, and then to put on a breathtaking display of flawed logic to try and avoid the inevitable. A true star in the making, and this week's lock for the top spot.

2. LokiKx (Neutral)

I'm pretty sure this guy had another username in the earlier Apple threads, then swapped over to this one after getting banned. Not as bad as the #1 seed, but guy clearly is blinded by his Apple hatred. Doesn't seem to have any interest in the iPad, but regularly pops in simply to post any negative press he can possibly find on the device. Has posted no less than 163 times in this thread, most of which are to jokes about the iPad being a big iPhone, or to post a link we've already seen 14 times (and which wasn't all that funny the first time). About as clever as your average garden gnome, but a bizarre mix of infatuation and dedication happening here, and we've got high hopes for this kid.

3. Card Trader (Falling)

Started off as a frontrunner based on his solid body of work in other Apple-related threads and his admitted affiliation with android. Claims to have had an iPad in his office for testing purposes the month before release. Has become a bit more fair and balanced in recent weeks.

4. gmbacm (Neutral)

Just outside the top ten in post count, and has, like Goggins, eased back on the throttle recently. However, based on what we saw from him at the combines, we suspect he's got a second wind, and we're expecting big things from him in coming weeks, particularly once the 3G version is released.

5. Goggins (Falling)

Guy came out of the gates strong, but has (as would most sane people) shown waning interest in recent weeks.

6. 3C's (Neutral)

Top ten in post count and top ten in Fanboi hate, but not sufficiently annoying because he doesn't seem to get involved in the substantive discussion. Known for the drive-by one-liner and then disappearing.

I was in Costa Rica
Can we get an update?

1. The Commish (Rising)

2. LokiKx (Neutral)

3. Card Trader (Falling)

4. gmbacm (Neutral)

5. Goggins (Falling)

6. 3C's (Neutral)

I was in Costa Rica
Can we get an update?
I bumped the CR thread and will update...still recovering.

I have a few friends who swear by the GoodReader app and it seems to claim to open word docs. Haven't tried it myself though.
I have it on there but haven't done much with it. I don't know how I'd get it from my e-mail to that app. Guess I need to look into this.

Anyone jailbreak their iPad yet? I'll probably give it a go at lunch.
:GIANT POPCORN:I'm super curious about this. What operating system ends up getting installed? What are the real benefits? If "open apps" is the main benefit, what are the primary apps that you would use on a jailbroken version that I cannot use on my stock version?

Played with a guy's Ipad while at an airport here in South America...the connectivity was a bit of an issue, but overall it's a bit handier than a laptop for remedial functionality.

Of course, I just jumped on my laptop and did my normal thing...was only 7 bucks to connect at the airport.

Still wouldn't buy one.

:GIANT POPCORN:I'm super curious about this. What operating system ends up getting installed? What are the real benefits? If "open apps" is the main benefit, what are the primary apps that you would use on a jailbroken version that I cannot use on my stock version?
If jailbreaking only gets me stuff like this , I don't really see all that much use in it. :goodposting:

If jailbreaking only gets me stuff like this , I don't really see all that much use in it. :thumbdown:
app trackr dot org (yes, trackr is spelled like that)Jailbreaking gives you access to everything in the App Store, plus it gives you the ability to change the fonts, theme, and wallpaper of your iPad.

If jailbreaking only gets me stuff like this , I don't really see all that much use in it. :thumbdown:
app trackr dot org (yes, trackr is spelled like that)Jailbreaking gives you access to everything in the App Store, plus it gives you the ability to change the fonts, theme, and wallpaper of your iPad.
You can already change the wallpapers on iPad, so the only benefit here seems to be changing fonts/themes in that sense. I guess it just doesn't seem super compelling to me yet. I'll probably wait for some interesting non-App Store app to come out that I really need.

If jailbreaking only gets me stuff like this , I don't really see all that much use in it. :wub:
You can already change the wallpapers on iPad, so the only benefit here seems to be changing fonts/themes in that sense. I guess it just doesn't seem super compelling to me yet. I'll probably wait for some interesting non-App Store app to come out that I really need.
This is probably good if you have the 3G where you can JB it and run it off TMobile as I do with my iphone plus get a bunch of cool apps that one can't get if it's not JB.

1. The Commish (Rising)

2. LokiKx (Neutral)

3. Card Trader (Falling)

4. gmbacm (Neutral)

5. Goggins (Falling)

6. 3C's (Neutral)
What about a fanboy ranking? Otis can't be the only one.

Cookie Boyle said:

1. The Commish (Rising)

2. LokiKx (Neutral)

3. Card Trader (Falling)

4. gmbacm (Neutral)

5. Goggins (Falling)

6. 3C's (Neutral)
What about a fanboy ranking? Otis can't be the only one.
Dont see how thats worth the effort. Clear top pick, then the rest are too far down to rank.

My fanboy buddy came through :scared: He bought the 3G version..couldn't help himself. I got to play with it a good bit on Monday. It's a very nice gadget, but at the price point of $700-$800 (not including data plan) I don't see the point...might as well get a netbook or something similar. Genuine question here....is AT&T putting the screws to them on the 3G connect fees or something? Struggling to see what justifies the $300 bump just for 3G...especially if you have to pay for the data plan on your own.

Does anyone know if the 256m 3G option is for a month and then it expires or it expires when you use it up? I ask because about 2x a year I need true broadband access when my portable Wifi router doesn't have coverage. I'd be inclined to get the 3G so that when my coverage is bad I can still get online, with the idea that I'd use my Wifi router 95% of the time. I suppose I could simply buy the access when I know I'm going to be out of range, but it sure would be cool if I could but the 256M and use it til it is empty, whether it takes me a week or 6 months.

Put my BB Storm and Nokia tablet on Craigslist this morning to start acquiring :lmao: make this happen.

Struggling to see what justifies the $300 bump just for 3G
I think it's a $129 bump. And there's extra hardware in the device (a 3G radio).
My mistake...he went up in hard drive also. So that explains part of it. As you say, the 3G radio must be their other justification, but it's a $20 radio. Today, AT&T will charge you $60ish for a laptop connect card. Not sure where the $129 comes from.

I think it's a $129 bump. And there's extra hardware in the device (a 3G radio).
My mistake...he went up in hard drive also. So that explains part of it. As you say, the 3G radio must be their other justification, but it's a $20 radio. Today, AT&T will charge you $60ish for a laptop connect card. Not sure where the $129 comes from.
Right, but buying the card from AT&T REQUIRES use of a 3G plan for 2 years, right? So perhaps the extra $69 comes for people who buy and do not activate immediately and/or don't keep a data plan going all the time.

Right, but buying the card from AT&T REQUIRES use of a 3G plan for 2 years, right? So perhaps the extra $69 comes for people who buy and do not activate immediately and/or don't keep a data plan going all the time.
Perhaps....but I thought you had to pay for the data plan separately on iPad...it didn't come with a contract or anything...it was pay as you go.

They apparently don't need to justify the other 60 bucks, because it doesn't seem to be impacting sales, but if I had to guess I would suspect that there is more cost to Apple here than just the radio itself. They don't just buy it and pass it on to the consumer as a card. They have to work the design of the 3G radio and antenna into the product guts. That requires R&D, testing, etc. And sure, maybe they want to make some more profit too. But I don't think an extra $129 for 3G is absurd by any stretch.

Apple is a rare business that is able to maintain high margins on their products. This is no secret. Their products have a very high perceived value to consumers, so Apple is able to charge what people are willing to pay. The sum of Apple's products are much higher than the cost of their individual parts.

Perhaps....but I thought you had to pay for the data plan separately on iPad...it didn't come with a contract or anything...it was pay as you go.
Exactly what Abraham said. The $60 network comes with a mandatory 2-year contract which ups the actual cost considerably. On the iPad you can pay a $15 or $30 monthly rate, on a per month basis as you use it. This flexibility comes with a higher front-end cost.

:fishing: So he went from the 16gb wifi to the 64 wifi+3g ($330 difference) and you're trying to compare the price? Add this to the long list of tech mistakes. Honestly, it sounds like you knew absolutely nothing about the iPad and just started guessing at things when posting in here. For a guy who hates MSNBC/Fox News for misrepresenting facts, I figured you'd do better.

Seems like the $129 isn't that huge of a difference in cost, and actually makes it almost a no brainer to buy the 3G version.

Seems like the $129 isn't that huge of a difference in cost, and actually makes it almost a no brainer to buy the 3G version.
Sort of. I figure I'm going to use the 3G (if I got it) such a small % of my time using the iPad. As far as hours used, maybe less than 1%. I use the iPad almost exclusively at home where I have wifi. When I travel I'll use it but in the airport I plan to just buy the wifi for the day. That must be a lot cheaper than a monthly fee+3g upfront cost. Faster (theoretically) too. Getting the 3G is adding $$ that's not insignificant; IMO if you're going to use it more than occasionally it might be worth it, otherwise I don't think so.

Sort of. I figure I'm going to use the 3G (if I got it) such a small % of my time using the iPad. As far as hours used, maybe less than 1%. I use the iPad almost exclusively at home where I have wifi. When I travel I'll use it but in the airport I plan to just buy the wifi for the day. That must be a lot cheaper than a monthly fee+3g upfront cost. Faster (theoretically) too. Getting the 3G is adding $$ that's not insignificant; IMO if you're going to use it more than occasionally it might be worth it, otherwise I don't think so.
Do you think you may use it more while you are out if you HAD the 3G? Sounds like justification to do so, to me.

Old people love this thing. Went to the folks house last weekend with lots of other relatives. Everyone, especially the older crowd couldn't get over the iOad. Google maps street view, some piano app, Netflix, the photo app and the eReader app got plenty of oo's and ahh's.

Does anyone know if the 256m 3G option is for a month and then it expires or it expires when you use it up? I ask because about 2x a year I need true broadband access when my portable Wifi router doesn't have coverage. I'd be inclined to get the 3G so that when my coverage is bad I can still get online, with the idea that I'd use my Wifi router 95% of the time. I suppose I could simply buy the access when I know I'm going to be out of range, but it sure would be cool if I could but the 256M and use it til it is empty, whether it takes me a week or 6 months.Put my BB Storm and Nokia tablet on Craigslist this morning to start acquiring :shrug: make this happen.
You'd be better to buy the unlimited for a month, then cancel it but take 6 months to use that up. :)

Does anyone know if the 256m 3G option is for a month and then it expires or it expires when you use it up? I ask because about 2x a year I need true broadband access when my portable Wifi router doesn't have coverage. I'd be inclined to get the 3G so that when my coverage is bad I can still get online, with the idea that I'd use my Wifi router 95% of the time. I suppose I could simply buy the access when I know I'm going to be out of range, but it sure would be cool if I could but the 256M and use it til it is empty, whether it takes me a week or 6 months.Put my BB Storm and Nokia tablet on Craigslist this morning to start acquiring :shrug: make this happen.
You'd be better to buy the unlimited for a month, then cancel it but take 6 months to use that up. :thumbup:
:)

Do you think you may use it more while you are out if you HAD the 3G? Sounds like justification to do so, to me.
As I was typing that response I did think about this. Potentially. The costs certainly add up though, so I'm not completely sure. Ideally I'll have a smart phone soon with a wifi hotspot (i.e. what the Palm Pre has...but maybe on a VZW iPhone?) and I don't have to worry about it. Otherwise I'll have to hope for more wifi hotspots or just get a 3G one in a couple-few years. :unsure:

As I was typing that response I did think about this. Potentially. The costs certainly add up though, so I'm not completely sure. Ideally I'll have a smart phone soon with a wifi hotspot (i.e. what the Palm Pre has...but maybe on a VZW iPhone?) and I don't have to worry about it. Otherwise I'll have to hope for more wifi hotspots or just get a 3G one in a couple-few years. :unsure:
Or an Android tablet, I know you are open minded ;)I think if I had the 3g version I'd take it pretty much everywhere with me and would get ample usage out of the 3G. It's pretty nice to be "connected" at all times.

As I was typing that response I did think about this. Potentially. The costs certainly add up though, so I'm not completely sure. Ideally I'll have a smart phone soon with a wifi hotspot (i.e. what the Palm Pre has...but maybe on a VZW iPhone?) and I don't have to worry about it. Otherwise I'll have to hope for more wifi hotspots or just get a 3G one in a couple-few years. :goodposting:
Or an Android tablet, I know you are open minded :DI think if I had the 3g version I'd take it pretty much everywhere with me and would get ample usage out of the 3G. It's pretty nice to be "connected" at all times.
I go back and forth on whether I think I'd get the 3G. On one hand, you're right that a one-time fee of $130 is pretty small in the grand scheme of things to have the capability to use 3G when I need it. That and the added benefit of GPS is only with the 3G. The more fiscally responsible side says that I already have an iPhone, so I have 3G access already in a pinch. Tough call and part of the reason I haven't purchased one yet.

Exactly what Abraham said. The $60 network comes with a mandatory 2-year contract which ups the actual cost considerably. On the iPad you can pay a $15 or $30 monthly rate, on a per month basis as you use it. This flexibility comes with a higher front-end cost.
I guess this makes sense. At the $729 price point they are not only in competition with netbooks, but now lower end laptops. Though I am not sure the lower end laptops will be as small and portable as the iPad. Interesting pricing decision on their part. Wondering what sales would be like if they were even $50 less per.

:lmao: So he went from the 16gb wifi to the 64 wifi+3g ($330 difference) and you're trying to compare the price? Add this to the long list of tech mistakes. Honestly, it sounds like you knew absolutely nothing about the iPad and just started guessing at things when posting in here. For a guy who hates MSNBC/Fox News for misrepresenting facts, I figured you'd do better.
You are really bad at this...I suggest moving on. Everyone else has.

I've tethered wifi ipad to my windows mobile phone on sprint and droid on verizon and it works great. If you have a smartphone with you at all times, that's not a blackberry, you can get by with wifi only.

With that said, I'd still get the 3g version, especially for the GPS. 3g for old folks, people without smartphones, and overseas travelers. You should be able to pop in local prepaid micro sims pretty soon. If you are active on a 3g ipad plan ($15 or $30) you also have free access to att public wifi hotspots. Not sure how big a deal this is tho?

I've also heard that if you're already an att dsl/uverse home customer, you also have free access to these same hotspots.

I guess this makes sense. At the $729 price point they are not only in competition with netbooks, but now lower end laptops. Though I am not sure the lower end laptops will be as small and portable as the iPad. Interesting pricing decision on their part. Wondering what sales would be like if they were even $50 less per.
It also fits in well with the rest of their product line's pricing. The iPhone 3Gs is $499-$699 unsubsidized. The MacBook starts at $999. So the iPad snuggles right in between the two, which is exactly where they position it from a strategic standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread