What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Chester Taylor gonna be the new Westbrook (1 Viewer)

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
In Childress's offence and they have solidified the line with HUTCH

I can see Taylor running the ball 12 times but catching like 6 balls

how do others feel ??

how do others feel ??
According to Childress, yes he will.

how do others feel ??
When he got signed, in the press conference, I believe it was mentioned that he'd get more like 20-25 touches. But yes, that possibility is there for maybe 4-6 catches. I'd welcom that. :thumbup:

God, the stat inflation is hilarious. 4-6 catches/game = 64-96 catches for the year. I find that hard to believe for an RB who is still going to share time.

Chester Taylor was a nice signing, but he's not going to suddenly become the Vikings version of Edge. People projecting him as a 20+ touches/game guy will be disappointed, imo.

God, the stat inflation is hilarious. 4-6 catches/game = 64-96 catches for the year. I find that hard to believe for an RB who is still going to share time.

Chester Taylor was a nice signing, but he's not going to suddenly become the Vikings version of Edge. People projecting him as a 20+ touches/game guy will be disappointed, imo.
Why do you think he definitely will share time?

Why do you think he definitely will share time?
:popcorn:

I'd say he'll be more like a Duce Staley (when he was in his Eagles prime, Childress was the OC as well). Plus, Childress isn't afraid to share carries with one guy getting the bulk. See also: Buckhalter, Correll.

Taylor will run the ball only 12 times a game?
12 for Taylor4 for Moore

3 for Whizzinator

3 for Fason

3 for Williams

1 for rookie

Sounds about right. :X
IMHO, more like:18 for Taylor

4 for Moore

4 for Fason

Rookie rides bench, Whizzy and Williams are gone

Taylor rushed for 487 yards on 117 carries last year, his fourth in the league, after rushing 160 times for 714 yards and two touchdowns in 2004. Taylor also caught 41 passes for 292 yards and a score in 2005.[/quote]http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsu...or/14077160.htm

Press conference transcript (Thanks to H.K.)

Q: Describe yourself as a running back?A: I can catch the ball really well. Run out of the backfield, try to get the defense to mismatch up. I can also run well between the tackles. Like Coach Childress said, I can run outside as well, so I'm kind of versatile in that aspect.
Q: Do you envision yourself doing the same as Bryan Westbrook.A: Yeah I believe I could do the same thing Westbrook did. He caught a lot of passes out of the backfield. He lined up outside as a receiver as well. I can do that. Whatever I can do to make this team win, that's what I'm going to do.
Coach Brad ChildressQ: Did you sign Chester Taylor with the idea he would get significant playing time?

A: Well I think we signed him with that in mind, but you always compete. Obviously I think we'll get his talents on the field. We were looking for a guy that we felt could be a higher-carries back, and I think he can do that.

Q: Does that become a factor in recruiting players like Chester Taylor or other offensive players?A: For a guy like Chester Taylor, I think it's how many times does he get to put his hands on the football? It's really more about someone that can hand it to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an article about Childress' first comments on the Vikes RB situation when he came over from Philly.

More waiting time for Moore

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

INDIANAPOLIS — Brad Childress didn't hand Mewelde Moore the starting running back job Friday. The new Vikings coach indicated that position would be addressed in the coming months.

Asked if he was comfortable with Moore handling the load at the position, Childress retracted his initial comment that the Vikings were "talent poor" at the position.

"Let me take that back," Childress said. "We don't have that many numbers. We just have two running backs there right now. (Adimchinobe) Echemandu is coming back; he's a little bit of an unknown. Mewelde did some good things. How many carries? We've done it a couple of different ways. We could split them up; if there is somebody that comes through that we think can handle 20-25 carries, that's a way to go as well."

Childress cannot speak to suspended running back Onterrio Smith until May and said he would not make a decision on him until they meet.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13957177.htm

I read this to mean that Childress is not wedded to RBBC and that if there is an RB that can handle the primary load, he would consider that route. When Taylor signed, Childress characterized Taylor as a "20 to 30 touch per game" RB. Whether Taylor can, in fact, hold up under such a load is a question because he doesn't have much history as a primary back. But this tells me that Childress will give Taylor the chance to take the load.

P.S. Note that Fason was not even mentioned in the article above. :lmao:

I can see Taylor putting up solid numbers. I would project around 1100-1250 RuY, 300-400 ReY, 45-55 Rec. and somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 TDs. I don't think these numbers are out of the question and I do feel that he will be given the opportunity to post these numbers. Whether or not he takes advantage is up to him.

Taylor rushed for 487 yards on 117 carries last year, his fourth in the league, after rushing 160 times for 714 yards and two touchdowns in 2004. Taylor also caught 41 passes for 292 yards and a score in 2005
41 passes over 13 games = 3.16 a game, as a featured back it is possible to avg one more catch per game. :lmao:

I guess it depends who you ask.

Here is some love from Peter King

"8. I think next October we'll all be writing, 'Wow. I never thought the biggest impact player in free agency would be Chester Taylor with the Vikings.' Prediction: Chester Taylor outgains Edgerrin James in 2006."

Westbrook or not I think Taylor is in for a great season. Check this out:

P. Holmes

Team Year G GS Att Yrds Avg

BAL 98 16 13 233 1008 4.3

BAL 99 9 4 89 506 5.7

BAL 00 16 2 137 588 4.3

KC 01 16 16 327 1555 4.8

C Taylor

Team Year G GS Att Yrds Avg

BAL 02 15 2 33 122 3.7

BAL 03 16 1 63 276 4.4

BAL 04 16 4 160 714 4.5

BAL 05 16 1 117 487 4.2

MIN 06 16 16 300 1290 4.3 (early projection)

Some may think it’s a stretch but the stats are similar. Just something to think about.

One key thing some of you are overlooking - Childress did not make any decisions about player usage and passing percentage in philly. Reid is a control freak who would accept input from Childress (and Morningwig when he joined the staff) but ultimately called every play and decided who was the RB getting the snaps.

I would expect that, like the intelligent person he seems to be, Childress would run the ball considerably more than Reid has done in the recent past, as long as game conditions allow (i.e. not getting blown out). The Hutch signing would seem to support this position.

What does it all mean? Who the heck really knows. I certainly do not expect Taylor to be a top 10 RB next year, but given the opportunity in an offense catered to his abilities, he might surprise some of the naysayers out there.

Taylor rushed for 487 yards on 117 carries last year, his fourth in the league, after rushing 160 times for 714 yards and two touchdowns in 2004. Taylor also caught 41 passes for 292 yards and a score in 2005
41 passes over 13 games = 3.16 a game, as a featured back it is possible to avg one more catch per game. :lmao:

"8. I think next October we'll all be writing, 'Wow. I never thought the biggest impact player in free agency would be Chester Taylor with the Vikings.' Prediction: Chester Taylor outgains Edgerrin James in 2006."
:lmao: @ quoting Peter King !!

One key thing some of you are overlooking - Childress did not make any decisions about player usage and passing percentage in philly. Reid is a control freak who would accept input from Childress (and Morningwig when he joined the staff) but ultimately called every play and decided who was the RB getting the snaps.

I would expect that, like the intelligent person he seems to be, Childress would run the ball considerably more than Reid has done in the recent past, as long as game conditions allow (i.e. not getting blown out). The Hutch signing would seem to support this position.

What does it all mean? Who the heck really knows. I certainly do not expect Taylor to be a top 10 RB next year, but given the opportunity in an offense catered to his abilities, he might surprise some of the naysayers out there.
:goodposting: You said exactly what I was looking to add - if anything, from what I remember hearing here in Philly, the games where Philly did run more often were a direct result of Childress imploring Reid to do so.

Childress in Minny WILL NOT EQUAL Childress in Philly.

:lmao: @ quoting Peter King !!
I know that's why I :lmao: , forgive me I've committed a Shark Pool Sin: "Thou shalt not quote Peter King"

Mwelde Moore has earned some touches. Onterrio Smith, if he's still with the team, is probably the most talented back. Fason is probably just a special-teamer at this point. And they just added Tony Richardson at FB. Sorry, but this doesn't look like a situation where one guy is going to emerge with most of the touches.

Mwelde Moore has earned some touches. Onterrio Smith, if he's still with the team, is probably the most talented back. Fason is probably just a special-teamer at this point. And they just added Tony Richardson at FB. Sorry, but this doesn't look like a situation where one guy is going to emerge with most of the touches.
It looks like just about every other backfield in the NFL.

I think Taylor gets 20 to 25 touches a game, the Vikings' #1 pick (Lendall White) gets about 8 to 12 touches a game.

C. Taylor will be this years Barlow on this MB.

over hyped

over hyped
People will say this every year when they don't believe in a backup taking over . . .Exhibit A from almost exactly a year ago:

WOOOH HOOOOOO>............. I hate to say it but I TOLD YOU SO, I TOLD YOU SO, I TOLD YOU SO, and what do you L.Jordan haters have to say???
That he's 2005's Kevan Barlow ?

I think Taylor gets 20 to 25 touches a game, the Vikings' #1 pick (Lendall White) gets about 8 to 12 touches a game.
Gosh, I just can't imagine ANY scenario where the Vikings draft Lendale White after changing to a west coast offense plus signing Chet Taylor. I think the chances are less than 5%

over hyped
I don't think anyone is looking to take him top 10 but he's the type of 2nd back that could become a top 10 back if things break right. 1) new coach that likes to run and brings in his guy to run it

2) signed for starter money and coach plans to give him the ball

3) the makings of a good line and a decent offense

4) pretty lousy division against the run (exception of Bears)

I don't really see the similarity to Barlow at all except that he's a rb.

It looks like just about every other backfield in the NFL.
Really? Doesn't sound anything like the Arizona, San Diego, NYG, Buf, KC, Oak, Was, Phi, NO, TB, STL, or SEA backfields. In those backfields you have a top-round talent who has real starter's $$ and a lock on the starter's job with no real competition behind him.It doesn't even sound like the Mia, NE, NYJ, CIN, or CHI backfields, where there is an established starter, and then another guy nipping at the heels of the established starter.

What it does sound like to me is Denver or Tennessee - lots of backs, lots of roles.

i think the minny running game will be stronger this year (line additions and health).

the division is weak.

i think CT will get the first shot. he just got hand picked and paid. childress will see what he can do.

if CT performs well, it is quite possible he will receive the bulk of the carries. he knows how to catch the ball and is a pretty good blocker.

i don't have much faith in any of the other running back scrubs on the team. so if they all fall toward the middle of the pack ... who knows what will happen.

i'd say the smart money is with CT at the moment. we'll also see how much faith childress has in him when the vikes draft.

-orphan

I don't understand you peeps saying that CT won't be the primary carrier. Why would Minn sign Taylor if they didn't plan to use him? They didn't back up the Brinks truck for him, but you don't pay MMs backup that kind of coin either. They could have easily draft a RB within the 1s three rounds and been pretty well set. Everyone also needs to remember that the Vikes signed CT the 1st day of FA. They must have wanted him pretty bad to move so quickly. CT is a good back who'll probably put up nice RB2 numbers if he stays healthy the entire year.

MIN has lately seemed to be the place RBs go to die. HOw many do they have on that team anyway?

C Taylor

M Moore

Fason

Whizzinator

M Williams

They might even draft a guy knowing their track record.

The point is, I don't see anyone emerging out of this bunch as the sure fire starter. They probably all get touches.

MIN has lately seemed to be the place RBs go to die. HOw many do they have on that team anyway?

C Taylor

M Moore

Fason

Whizzinator

M Williams

They might even draft a guy knowing their track record.

The point is, I don't see anyone emerging out of this bunch as the sure fire starter. They probably all get touches.
Excluding Taylor who was just signed, this is the crew that the new coach described as "talent poor" when he joined the Vikes.

I'd say he'll be more like a Duce Staley (when he was in his Eagles prime, Childress was the OC as well). Plus, Childress isn't afraid to share carries with one guy getting the bulk. See also: Buckhalter, Correll.
People forget that Andy Reid controlled the Eagles offense and not necessarily Childress. Point being that there has been no precedent set for the way that Childress will use his feature RB for the Vikings. The way that Reid used Westbrook or any combination of RBs is not necessarily indicative of the way Childress uses the Vikes RBs.Being a Chester Taylor owner, I would count on him being my 3rd RB with the potential of him scoring like a #2 RB. That's how I would plan my team for the upcoming season.

Sorry did not see this but anyway :goodposting:

Here is an article about Childress' first comments on the Vikes RB situation when he came over from Philly.

More waiting time for Moore

BY SEAN JENSEN

Pioneer Press

INDIANAPOLIS — Brad Childress didn't hand Mewelde Moore the starting running back job Friday. The new Vikings coach indicated that position would be addressed in the coming months.

Asked if he was comfortable with Moore handling the load at the position, Childress retracted his initial comment that the Vikings were "talent poor" at the position.

"Let me take that back," Childress said. "We don't have that many numbers. We just have two running backs there right now. (Adimchinobe) Echemandu is coming back; he's a little bit of an unknown. Mewelde did some good things. How many carries? We've done it a couple of different ways. We could split them up; if there is somebody that comes through that we think can handle 20-25 carries, that's a way to go as well."

Childress cannot speak to suspended running back Onterrio Smith until May and said he would not make a decision on him until they meet.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/13957177.htm

I read this to mean that Childress is not wedded to RBBC and that if there is an RB that can handle the primary load, he would consider that route. When Taylor signed, Childress characterized Taylor as a "20 to 30 touch per game" RB. Whether Taylor can, in fact, hold up under such a load is a question because he doesn't have much history as a primary back. But this tells me that Childress will give Taylor the chance to take the load.

P.S. Note that Fason was not even mentioned in the article above. :lmao:
How is it possible he didn't mention fason? He only had 32 carries and scored 4 TD's...of course he averaged less than 2 YPC. Maybe he just didn't really know about him? Hard to project Taylor. I see him as a slightly poor mans Westbrook.

These Westbrook comparisons are silly...they are nothing like one another.
:no: They are both light backs (under 215) that are more quick then fast and neither is a pile mover. Plus they both catch the ball extremely well (Westbrook is great at it). I see Chester as westbrook light, but I think comps are valid

These Westbrook comparisons are silly...they are nothing like one another.
:no: They are both light backs (under 215) that are more quick then fast and neither is a pile mover. Plus they both catch the ball extremely well (Westbrook is great at it). I see Chester as westbrook light, but I think comps are valid
A) Westbrook is quickerB) Taylor is three inches taller

C) Taylor is a better inside runner and goalline back

what exactly is similar about these two?

I don't see the Vikings adding a rb in the draft that will be good enough to contest Taylor/MM for carries.

With Hutchinson now solidifying the left side of the Oline and probobly another aquisition to improve the right side of the line as well I think Chester Taylor will have some very good games. However I am not sure if he can stay healthy enough to maintain a high number of carries/catches over the season. At some point he may be injured and then MM/Fason may be the benifactors.

If Taylor can stay healthy he will have a very good season. Strong Rb2 possibly flirting with Rb1 type numbers.

Again, I think you'll see Chester Tayor be run up the gut a good 12 times a game. He should see another 6 plays off-tackle and maybe 4 plays to the outside. The team and offense is shaping up to be a power-run team.

The Taylor and Westbrook comparisons are crazy talk, but they may have similar production.

The Taylor and Westbrook comparisons are crazy talk, but they may have similar production.
Pretty much what I'm thinking, except Taylor might get more carries, less receptions.Taylor is a decent RB from what we've seen, and with McKinnie/Hutch, he can run on one side anyway. If he stays healthy, he can be a very good #2, maybe a fair #1 although I think that's a stretch.

1,000 yard rusher, maybe as much as 1200.

Along with somewhere around 300-400 yards receiving.

Very solid, but he doesn't have Westbrook's versatility.

Very solid, but he doesn't have Westbrook's versatility.
:goodposting: Seriously. We are not going to see Chester Taylor line up in the slot and run a skinny post down the middle of the field.

Users who are viewing this thread