What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

is Colston being used as a decoy? (1 Viewer)

I was wondering the same. This BS has single handedly ruined my season. He's definitely in the game but I don't think he's been targeted even once. I mean they just threw what appeared to be some kind of a fade into the end zone from the 5 to Lance Moore. Like WTF? Why wouldn't you throw that to Colston?

From the one target I saw Colston get, he was limping after the play. IMO he isn't 100% and shouldn't see your fantasy lineups till he proves he is healthy. Lance Moore is the #1 target.

GB has grade A corners. Al Harris was on Colston all night. The New Orleans coaching staff chose to not go against GB's strength at the corner position and game planned to focus on the safeties and underneath stuff vs LBs. Moore's long TD was a short pass, when he was covered by a safety, he made a couple moves and then broken into the open for a long TD run. Billy Miller and Shockey also had big days. So I would attribute it more a result of GB's corners and New Orlean's game plan to stay away from them than anything else. I was alittle worried on how that long Colston Td looked though, as you could see one of his knees was bothering him by the way he was running, though he still did have enough speed to make it to the endzone. Pretty much a fantasy player's point saving play... 1 catch, 70 yd Td... much better than the 0 he was working on upto that point... though it was a broken coverage on the play with Brees scrambling... but I'll take it.

Tough to play Colston right now. I thought he would be coming on right about now but he's not. I am guessing Moore is getting open faster and Brees is taking what the defense gives him.

He did stay in the 2 WR sets more towards the end of the game, so that may be a good sign that his knee was feeling better.. No reason for Payton to keep him in to run block with all the WR's they have if he was hurting... Still in the beginning of the game, it seemed he was playing the WR3 slot spot and wasn't in on all plays- similar to the 1st 2 games after he came back from the hand... It just doesn't make sense other than injury to keep his talent and size off the field.

I was wondering the same. This BS has single handedly ruined my season. He's definitely in the game but I don't think he's been targeted even once. I mean they just threw what appeared to be some kind of a fade into the end zone from the 5 to Lance Moore. Like WTF? Why wouldn't you throw that to Colston?
Brees finds the open man no matter who it is. Moore had single coverage on that goal line play and Brees made the right pre-snap read, it was a poor adjustment by Moore that prevented that from being a score.After missing half the season with an injury it was unrealistic to think that Colston would come back and instantly garner more targets than the guys who had taken Brees to the most passing yards through 12 games in the history of the NFL. When Bush comes back there will be even fewer balls to go Colston's way, although he should be more productive as defenses adjust to having Bush on the field too.

He is my wr3, but I was hoping for at least wr2 numbers from him. I feel lucky that I basically have a playoff spot locked up and we do not start the playoffs until week 14. (4 teams make the playoffs) This gives him 2 more weeks to become a part of this offense again. If I had a playoff game this week I would not feel too good starting him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brees finds the open man no matter who it is. Moore had single coverage on that goal line play and Brees made the right pre-snap read, it was a poor adjustment by Moore that prevented that from being a score.After missing half the season with an injury it was unrealistic to think that Colston would come back and instantly garner more targets than the guys who had taken Brees to the most passing yards through 12 games in the history of the NFL. When Bush comes back there will be even fewer balls to go Colston's way, although he should be more productive as defenses adjust to having Bush on the field too.
The rest of your post makes sense, but this hindsight criticism is unfair to us pissed off Colston owners. First of all, many here held him out of his first couple of games because they said (correctly) that it would take him some time to get back into the groove. Second, how is it unrealistic to think the guy who had 98 receptions, 1200 yds, and eleven touchdowns last year in the same offense would struggle this mightily to be relevant in the Saints offensive attack weeks after his return?Andre Johnson had a significant knee injury last year that caused him to miss seven games. Kevin Walter and Andre Davis posted solid fantasy numbers in his absence, but when AJ returned, AJ was The Guy.

Marques Colston should be The Guy, but he's become that guy instead.

The rest of your post makes sense, but this hindsight criticism is unfair to us pissed off Colston owners. First of all, many here held him out of his first couple of games because they said (correctly) that it would take him some time to get back into the groove. Second, how is it unrealistic to think the guy who had 98 receptions, 1200 yds, and eleven touchdowns last year in the same offense would struggle this mightily to be relevant in the Saints offensive attack weeks after his return?Andre Johnson had a significant knee injury last year that caused him to miss seven games. Kevin Walter and Andre Davis posted solid fantasy numbers in his absence, but when AJ returned, AJ was The Guy.

Marques Colston should be The Guy, but he's become that guy instead.
There aren't enough ">" in the world to demonstrate how much Brees > Schaub/Rosenfels. I don't think there is a QB in the league who finds the open man better than Brees.

Colston will have some big games (I think he will outperform Moore vs. Tampa Bay) but you should be prepared for some duds too.

Users who are viewing this thread