What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Demaryius Thomas bound for Canton? (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
As we all know, former Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas passed away this past week at the young age of 33.  But, I'd like to know from everyone is if he's headed to the Hall of Fame.  I mean, he made the Pro Bowl four times.  For five years in a row from 2012 to 2016, he had at least 1,000 yards receiving.  He scored 10 touchdowns in a season 3 years in a row.  And from 2012 to 2017, he didn't miss a game.  I know he wasn't a first-team All-Pro, but on two occasions, he was Second-Team All-Pro.  I think that should qualify for Canton.  But, what does everyone else think?

Very good player but no, not a hall of famer
Yeah, pretty much. He was basically a top 5 WR in the league for three years running, another 3 years as a FF WR2. His HoF monitor score at PFR is 42.x, the average HoF WR is 104.x. So not really close.

Super good dude off the field, loved doing events with kids, generous to a fault. Should be well remembered - just not with a bronze bust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, pretty much. He was basically a top 5 WR in the league for three years running, another 3 years as a FF WR2. His HoF monitor score at PFR is 42.x, the average HoF WR is 104.x. So not really close.

Super good dude off the field, loved doing events with kids, generous to a fault. Should be well remembered - just not with a bronze bust.
His HoF monitor score is just below that of Marc Clayton's 45. Clayton's never even been a finalist even though he has more TDs than  Calvin Johnson and James Lofton. And only Calvin and Lofton have a higher ypr.

>>Clayton was a five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All-Pro who twice led the league in touchdown catches. He’s 71st in career receiving yards (8,974) and 19th in TD receptions.<<

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/mark-clayton-dolphins-hall-of-fame

Agreed. 

Thomas was a pretty good role model for how to be a professional. But he's probably somewhere in the 75-100 range of WR's all-time. 

Hope the Broncos retire his number. 

Little too soon but eventually, that would nice. I’m sure they honor his memory is some fiom tomorrow. 

Check this out....retired numbers are very rare at Mile High. I can think of a few Broncos who were pretty great and not on this list:

The Denver Broncos have three jersey numbers retired and one number that has been unofficially retired or at least considered untouchable. Those numbers are 7 (John Elway), 18 (Frank Tripucka, who allowed Peyton Manning to wear it), and 44 (Floyd Little).

Champ Bailey’s number 24 has been worn once (Adam Jones) since Bailey left Denver, but that number is pretty much off-limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hall of Very Good, mainly because his longevity wasn't up there with the Rice/Fitz types and his peak didn't scrape that territory either.

Pro football HoF is very tough to crack. Great receivers like Holt and Ocho aren't in it.

Terrific player though. Extremely mobile for how big he also was. I don't think he ever quite got enough credit.

5,700 yds and over 40+ TDs over a 4 year span, can anyone find that on any of the Wide Receivers already IN the Hall of Fame? 

4 straight years of 1,300+ receiving yds 3 of those over 1,400+ 

5,700 yds and over 40+ TDs over a 4 year span, can anyone find that on any of the Wide Receivers already IN the Hall of Fame? 

4 straight years of 1,300+ receiving yds 3 of those over 1,400+ 
The issue for DT is other than that stretch of 5 or 6 years, he didn’t do much. His first two and last two years were not even worth mentioning. So 4 really good years and 2 good years. For receivers, that probably is not long enough to get inducted. 

As for your question, the numbers set for milestones are tough to hit and of course highlight DT’s peak. Rice, Harrison, Megatron, and AB have done it. Moss missed by a few yards. A couple of other guys were close. Part of the issue is other players missed a few games or had a QB miss time so they had a year mixed in that dropped them below that 5700/40 threshold in 4 consecutive seasons.

As a longtime Broncos fan, I would say no.  His peak, while pretty darn high, didn't last long enough.   54th all-time in receiving yards and 72nd in receiving TDs is just not great enough.  And never being 1st Team All-Pro doesn't help either.  Broncos fans will always have great appreciation for him because of the OT TD against the Steelers and his importance to the team during the Peyton Manning era, but I cannot say he is a Hall of Famer. 

No mention who he had throwing to him during what, like half of his career?  A carousel of Arena league QBs.  The Manning boost was validation of his true talent and that was on Manning's downside, especially those last two years.  He also had to endure some ####ty coaches.  On better teams for a longer period, he would've crushed it. 

That achilles and Elway going through QBs like he was hitting on 16 every year is what cost him.  Sucks when the player can't help it.  Talent-wise, he'd be in, guy was a beast.

No mention who he had throwing to him during what, like half of his career?  A carousel of Arena league QBs.  The Manning boost was validation of his true talent and that was on Manning's downside, especially those last two years.  He also had to endure some ####ty coaches.  On better teams for a longer period, he would've crushed it. 

That achilles and Elway going through QBs like he was hitting on 16 every year is what cost him.  Sucks when the player can't help it.  Talent-wise, he'd be in, guy was a beast.

Them's the breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread