What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Full PPR Too Much Nowadays? (1 Viewer)

Is Full PPR Too Much Nowadays?

• Yes, Receptions Should Be 0.67 Per

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We just inflate all the other stats as well.  Effectively makes it  ~.75 ppr.

TDs 10 and 7

Rush/Rec yards 5/pt

Passing yards 20/pt

PPR

Higher scoring over all, but relatively brings PPR down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still a fan of standard scoring. PPR never made sense to me, as a catch didn't seem like it should have value beyond the yards it gains.
The reason PPR gained popularity in the first place is that standard scoring is extremely TD-dependent. If it never made any sense for a 0-yard catch to count the same as a 10-yard run, it made even less sense for Mike Alstott's 3 rushes for 2 yards and 2 TDs to outscore Keyshawn Johnson's 12-catch, 119-yard day. Full-PPR was the default alternative not because it was the magic formula for equalizing positional fantasy values but simply because most FF sites in the early days of the internet couldn't handle decimal scoring.

Having said that, I've always found full-PPR to be an overcorrection and most of the leagues I've run in the past decade use 0.5 PPR. Personally I also prefer increasing the relative value of yardage (e.g. 1 point per 6 or 7 yards instead of 1 per 10) but that's typically a tougher sell for most casual league owners.

The reason PPR gained popularity in the first place is that standard scoring is extremely TD-dependent. If it never made any sense for a 0-yard catch to count the same as a 10-yard run, it made even less sense for Mike Alstott's 3 rushes for 2 yards and 2 TDs to outscore Keyshawn Johnson's 12-catch, 119-yard day. Full-PPR was the default alternative not because it was the magic formula for equalizing positional fantasy values but simply because most FF sites in the early days of the internet couldn't handle decimal scoring.

Having said that, I've always found full-PPR to be an overcorrection and most of the leagues I've run in the past decade use 0.5 PPR. Personally I also prefer increasing the relative value of yardage (e.g. 1 point per 6 or 7 yards instead of 1 per 10) but that's typically a tougher sell for most casual league owners.
My recollection is that purpose of PPR was to off-set the RB domination when the first round was 11 RBs and Randy Moss. The NFL was a different league that made WRs/TEs very TD dependent. The only TE you'd even consider drafting before the mid-rounds was Tony Gonzalez.

IMO, today's NFL has swung far enough in favor of the passing game that PPR for WRs/TEs isn't necessary. I still prefer standard scoring leagues but play in a couple PPR.

Yes. 

.5 should be the standard. I remember a game a couple years back where TJ Yeldon had 8 catches for 11 yards and it's absurd to think that someone who started him would have gotten 8.1 points out of that receiving production. 

In one of our locals, we do it where TE's get 1.0, WR's get .75 and RB's get .5. Makes having a great TE that much more important.

What still makes no sense to me is starting only 1QB.  The most important position in all of sports is far less important in most FF formats.  It's silly.  And yet so easy to fix.

What still makes no sense to me is starting only 1QB.  The most important position in all of sports is far, far less important in most FF formats.  It's silly.  And yet so easy fix.
How common do you find leagues starting more than 1 QB? What's your guess on how many leagues use more than 1 starting QB?

My recollection is that purpose of PPR was to off-set the RB domination when the first round was 11 RBs and Randy Moss. The NFL was a different league that made WRs/TEs very TD dependent. The only TE you'd even consider drafting before the mid-rounds was Tony Gonzalez.

IMO, today's NFL has swung far enough in favor of the passing game that PPR for WRs/TEs isn't necessary. I still prefer standard scoring leagues but play in a couple PPR.
Yeah, that was the argument I recall for PPR, my longest running league ran into that same problem, and decided in 2010, the solution was to start more WR's. 

How common do you find leagues starting more than 1 QB? What's your guess on how many leagues use more than 1 starting QB?
No idea, stopped playing a couple of years ago and quite enjoy not being tied to FF all fall.  But good question, I bet you know the answer.  I do know they are much more common than they used to be but that took forever and a day.  Humans are so resistant to change, it's funny.  

Once I played in a two QB league, I enjoyed it much more and left 1QB leagues.  The drafts were so much better and more interesting.  Added a whole new dynamic.  

And so not to hijack the thread, I do think 1PPR is too much nowadays.  .5 seems better to me.

As far as the two QB thing....I think there was one week a couple years ago where 6-8 teams were on bye....and I think 6 still happens....that means in those weeks you only have 26 QBs playing.....would make it really tough for any leagues with more than 12 teams....and IMO put waaaaaaayyy too much of a premium on QB’s.....QB’s would dominate the top of the draft unless you really altered the scoring to try and even it out......meaning you would have to find a way to make QB not the dominant scoring position.....but with QB being such an important position, I am not sure thats the way to go either...not sure if I said that right...but anyway

Most all of my leagues have adjusted and gone to to 0.5 PPR which seems about right now.....

As far as the two QB thing....I think there was one week a couple years ago where 6-8 teams were on bye....and I think 6 still happens....that means in those weeks you only have 26 QBs playing.....would make it really tough for any leagues with more than 12 teams....and IMO put waaaaaaayyy too much of a premium on QB’s.....QB’s would dominate the top of the draft unless you really altered the scoring to try and even it out....
That was one week, and totally adjustable unless you weren't paying attention. I actually think that week was the most interesting one.  And did really change the complexion of a season's outcome?  No way, it wasn't like it happened during the playoffs.

Second issue you bring up is for leagues with more than 12 teams.  Not an issue, we are talking 12 team leagues or less, obviously.

Third issue is "putting way too much premium on QB's"?  Um, that's exactly what the NFL does, and rightfully so.  Why not in FF?  Putting way too much premium on RBs, in the early FF days especially, made FF drafts predictable, boring and more luck-based (as if FF doesn't have a lot of that already, with injuries and other hard-to-predict intangibles such a big part).  

And when was the last time you saw an NFL team starting 2 RBs?  If there is any position that should be an afterthought when drafting, it shouldn't be QBs. Which is and has been the case for most leagues, especially long-standing ones.  At this point, Auto-draft will fare the well, and then go from there.  That's no fun.

If you can make your league a little more interesting after all these years, with a simple tweak, why not?

Yes but for some reason you don't have an option to say a reception shouldn't be worth anything. PPR was created in the days when the top RBs were getting 380 carries and WRs couldn't compete with them. Now, WRs are getting more targets, RBs are getting less carries. 

Doesn't really matter as each scoring system leads to different strategies.  Personally I want a scoring system that makes each position equal across tiers.  It's very hard to do but there are many ways to try.

I also think have larger lineups and using IDP also helps tremendously to aid in the attempt to make positions equal.

Users who are viewing this thread