What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

is it a reach for the saints to draft hawk at 1.2 (1 Viewer)

crimsonrebel

Footballguy
Theres no question the biggest need on the Saints roster is LB. Even with the FA moves, they still just have journeymen at best. If the Saints dont trade down in the draft, is it a stretch for them to spend the 1.2 pick on a linebacker? Has a linebacker ever been drafter that high? If all the hype surrounding AJ Hawk is true, i dont think its a wasted pick in the long term.

but why when they could trade down a couple picks and still get him? If he's all they want, they could easily get a throw away pick from the jets to move down 2 spots

So yeah, I guess it would be a reach

thats why i said if they dont trade down. The jets havent shown a serious interest in trading up 2 slots as far as i know. Its all just been speculation.

i agree... i think it would be a reach, & if that is route they want to go, they should try & drop down a few picks, & they could still get their guy...

to answer earlier question, lavar arrington went at #2 overall... that is highest i know of, but i only checked back about a decade in past...

not to say hawk isn't a rare, elite talent... but i'm guessing we could look around the league & it would be easier to find LBs as good or almost (?)... think a guy like uhrlacher, mike peterson, etc...

yet we would be harder pressed to find DEs who grade out as elite as mario williams...

if scouts think ferguson is the real deal at LT... those kind of cornerstone LTs are pretty rare, too... so it is partly a question of supply & demand...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm usually all about teams trading down to maximize value, but the Saints are in a tough spot this year. They really have less need...when compared to other NFL teams...for most of the blue-chippers (Bush, Leinhart, Young, Cutler, M Williams, etc) in this year's draft. The only exception is Hawk and maybe Vernon Davis.

If the Saints trade down a few spots, everybody and their brother knows they'll be targeting Hawk. They could easily get trumped. If the Saints fear losing Hawk by trading down, they should make him their pick at 1.2...whether it's a reach or not. It's better than drafting the alternative and sitting the guy on the bench for the next year or two.

i agree... i think it would be a reach, & if that is route they want to go, they should try & drop down a few picks, & they could still get their guy...

to answer earlier question, lavar arrington went at #2 overall... that is highest i know of, but i only checked back about a decade in past...

not to say hawk isn't a rare, elite talent... but i'm guessing we could look around the league & it would be easier to find LBs as good or almost (?)... think a guy like uhrlacher, mike peterson, etc...

yet we would be harder pressed to find DEs who grade out as elite as mario williams...

if scouts think ferguson is the real deal at LT... those kind of cornerstone LTs are pretty rare, too... so it is partly a question of supply & demand...
My pick would be D'Brick since that's also a huge area of need and he's more of a sure-thing than Hawk (although I think he's a top 5 pick as well). As good as Mario is, it isn't a need position and I don't see the Saints benching either of their DE's for him.

A trip down memory lane...LBs taken in the top 5 since the Giants struck gold using the second pick in 81 on LT:

2000-#2-LaVar Arrington/Penn St/Redskins

1997-#4-Peter Boulware/FSU/Ravens

1996-#2-Kevin Hardy/Illinois/Jags

1994-#4-Willie McGinest/USC/Pats

1994-#5-Trev Alberts/Nebraska/Colts

1993-#4-Marvin Jones/FSU/Jets

1992-#2-Quentin Coryatt/A&M/Colts

1991-#4-Mike Croel/Nebraska/Broncos

1990-#4-Keith McCants/Alabama/Bucs

1990-#5-Junior Seau/USC/Chargers

1989-#4-Derrick Thomas/Alabama/Chiefs

1988-#1-Aundray Bruce/Auburn/Falcons

1987-#2-Cornelius Bennett/Alabama/Colts

1987-#5-Mike Junkin/Duke/Browns

1986-#5-Anthony Bell/Michigan State/Cards

1985-#4-Chris Doleman/Pitt/Vikes

1985-#5-Duane Bickett/USC/Colts

1984-#4-Carl Banks/Michigan State/Giants

1983-#3-Billy Ray Smith/Srkansas/Chargers

1982-#3-Chip Banks/USC/Browns

1982-#2-Johnnie Cooks/Miss St/Colts

1981-#5-EJ Junior/Alabama/Cards

1981-#2-LT/UNC/Giants

Last edited by a moderator:
there were some doozies there...

but aundray bruce was a stinker! :)

my HS played bickett in basketball... he was a skinny dude then, but a good athlete & star basketball player... he seemed like he put on about 100 lbs during his time at USC... he SERIOUSLY bulked up by the time he went to the colts.

Users who are viewing this thread