What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it time for Al Michaels to retire? (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
Did anyone who watched the Chargers-Jaguars game get the sense that Al Michaels was out of sync last night? I think the reason he went to Amazon this season is because he doesn't have the enthusiasm and charisma that he once had when he was broadcasting games in prime time. I mean, let's face it: the guy is in his 70s, so that's a clue that it's time for Al Michaels to retire. I mean, when you have Al Michaels doing a game that ended up being the 3rd largest comeback in NFL postseason history, you want the guy to be on cue. And I will admit, Al Michaels didn't seem like he was into telling the story of the game that unfolded last night. Does anyone agree with me that it's time for Al Michaels to retire?

He’s no Charlie Jones, Lindsey Nelson, D Enberg (oh my!), Ray Scott, or Curt Gowdy in their prime. Or Kieth Jackson (whoa Nellie!) who is remembered more for college games, but was the first play-by-play announcer on MNF. I liked Frank Gifford in his prime, but all of them lose it when they are way past their prime. Gowdy was great, but made all kinds of mistakes when he was old. I was never a fan of Pat Summerall, but I know many liked him. I was more of an NBC / AFC guy, not a CBS / NFC guy.

Al Michaels peaked at the 1980 Olympics. Jk….I always thought he was OK, but yes, he needs to hang it up. Problem is, there are no exciting / promising announcers right now.

Last edited:
Did anyone who watched the Chargers-Jaguars game get the sense that Al Michaels was out of sync last night? I think the reason he went to Amazon this season is because he doesn't have the enthusiasm and charisma that he once had when he was broadcasting games in prime time. I mean, let's face it: the guy is in his 70s, so that's a clue that it's time for Al Michaels to retire. I mean, when you have Al Michaels doing a game that ended up being the 3rd largest comeback in NFL postseason history, you want the guy to be on cue. And I will admit, Al Michaels didn't seem like he was into telling the story of the game that unfolded last night. Does anyone agree with me that it's time for Al Michaels to retire?
Your suggested improvement?

Problem is, there are no exciting / promising announcers right now.
"I'm watching/not watching this game because X is the announcer."

~No one ever
still, not much talent in the announcer game right now. Perhaps that will change soon.
Cosell was the only one who ever may have had non-fans tuning in to whatever he was broadcasting. But, even though he was also despised by many no one ever didn't tune in because of him.

Madden was fun for a hot minute, and I guess there is some, if overstated, merit to the notion he was a transformative broadcaster.

But his shtick got tired quickly and, probably his only true accomplishment in the booth is to convince a generation of fans that Brett Favre was anything more than Vinny Testaverde on a great team.

I will never say anything negative about Keith Jackson. But he was never the reason anyone tuned in or out. Same for Chick Hearn or Vin Scully, although many Dodger fans would turn off the TV volume and tune in Vinny on the radio as needed.

But broadcasters, and studio talking heads, as a group, are the most overpaid group of generic, replaceable parts in the sports industry. They're irrelevant and should get paid minimum wage.

still, not much talent in the announcer game right now. Perhaps that will change soon.
My two favorite announcers (Kevin Harlan and Ian Eagle) are mostly stuck doing 1PM CBS games. That Ian Eagle and Charlie Davis pairing is pretty special, they deserve a primetime slot.

Color commentators are a bit tougher. Guys like Romo and Collinsworth obviously have forgotten more about football than I know, but sometimes they can be really grating with how much they talk. Both can also be highly entertaining and informative when they are on. I think Aikman has developed into a pretty good commentator wish he wasn't opposite ManningCast. Herby is overrated at the college level and even worse in the NFL.

Fox has a really weak roster right now from top to bottom.

In general, the networks are more interested in media personalities than a good call of the game. This gets worse during the playoffs.

Your suggested improvement?
why does he have to have a suggested improvement ??
Michaels can stay until he's dead imo that olympic call in 1980 cemented that for him

how much money would the networks save if they stopped paying announcers? i mean, are you watching the chargers v jags because Michaels is doing play by play?

I’ve always enjoyed Al Michaels, but it’s been a tough couple of seasons.

He gets players names wrong, and misses some things.

It’s time.

I don’t mean they should take him behind the barn & shoot him, but he should be able to ride into the sunset.

That said, clearly he loves what he does and if I were him I’d hold on forever too - he has the best job in the world.

But broadcasters, and studio talking heads, as a group, are the most overpaid group of generic, replaceable parts in the sports industry. They're irrelevant and should get paid minimum wage.
C'mon man.
Hyperbole obvious, but not by much.

The stupid contracts for guys like Buck, Aikman, Michaels and the nonsense they're offering Brady is absurd. I'm all for guys cashing checks whenever they can and good for those guys but there is no way those contracts offer RoI.

No one watches for those guys, probably a few ladies will tune in for Brady but it's money foolishly spent. And yes, I do think the executives at those networks are making decisions that lose money.

>>Al Michaels calls Asante Samuel intercepting the Jacksonville Jaguars in a playoff game, separated by 17 years and 7 days:<<

Still good play-by-play IMO with Junior's interception.

BTW, his first love was baseball.
I was fine with the commentary last night. I understand the criticism that Dungy is a bit dry and reserved. Probably not the best pairing with an older guy like Al but I just don't really care if the TV is telling me what is exciting all the time.

I like Al Michaels still.

My favorite current pair is Jim Nantz and Tony Romo.

The only NFL commentator I've ever found to be so grating that I've had to mute a broadcast is Jon Gruden. I found his style to be insufferable when he used to be a commentator for Monday Night Football.

I
I was fine with the commentary last night. I understand the criticism that Dungy is a bit dry and reserved. Probably not the best pairing with an older guy like Al but I just don't really care if the TV is telling me what is exciting all the time.
I wouldn’t mind Dungy with a more spry broadcaster. The Michaels/Dungy pairing wasn’t good.

I’ll say as a blanket statement, while I like some guys like RGIII, the Mannings, Michael Strahan, & occasionally Romo, I do sorta not love the whole celebrity broadcaster thing.

There are a lot of folks who work very hard to become broadcasters. And I’m reasonably certain we’ll never see any of them in the booth or on the pre-postgame shows because Terry Bradshaw & Jimmy Johnson are yukking it up. And I really don’t think Sean Payton is good on air.

And as @Chaka mentioned, they get paid a ton to do it. I’m not saying they should get paid in peanuts and beer, but it’s all a little overblown.

I tune in for the game. I don’t tune in for any particular broadcasting crew. Some are absolutely off-putting (looking at you, Aikman & Colinsworth).

Last edited:
Have to admit this is epic though:

Kirk Herbstreit: This dude… we get to halftime, I assume it's him, he's got steak, shrimp, he doesn't touch the mashed potatoes, but… and they've got like real silverware and a plate, and you only have eight minutes in halftime in the NFL, but as soon as halftime's over, headphones are off, back behind the screen, and they've got a table set, and it's like fine dining for eight minutes, and it' just, he's eating and talking, and it blew me away. I was not expecting that, I had never heard that the way you guys have.

The only NFL commentator I've ever found to be so grating that I've had to mute a broadcast is Jon Gruden. I found his style to be insufferable when he used to be a commentator for Monday Night Football.
Romo’s voice is horrible. I can’t stand his voice. It’s not meant to be on TV.

Kirk Herbstreit: This dude… we get to halftime, I assume it's him, he's got steak, shrimp, he doesn't touch the mashed potatoes, but… and they've got like real silverware and a plate, and you only have eight minutes in halftime in the NFL, but as soon as halftime's over, headphones are off, back behind the screen, and they've got a table set, and it's like fine dining for eight minutes, and it' just, he's eating and talking, and it blew me away. I was not expecting that, I had never heard that the way you guys have.
No wonder Michaels had some disparaging remarks about Justin Fields being a vegan in Chicago with such good steak options abounding... well maybe more in humor... "come on man you're in Chicago go have a porterhouse."

No wonder Michaels had some disparaging remarks about Justin Fields being a vegan in Chicago with such good steak options abounding... well maybe more in humor... "come on man you're in Chicago go have a porterhouse."
Would love to see Madden with his 6 legged turkey in this situation with a vegan.

Would love to see Madden with his 6 legged turkey in this situation with a vegan.
Would have to be a 6-legged tofurkey.

I slip bacon grease in vegan dishes without their knowledge.

will never say anything negative about Keith Jackson. But he was never the reason anyone tuned in or out. Same for Chick Hearn or Vin Scully, although many Dodger fans would turn off the TV volume and tune in Vinny on the radio as needed.
I live in Florida and routinely turned on Dodger games on the extra innings package I paid for just to listen to Vin.

Thats funny because it's Tony Romo that makes me mute the broadcast.

Romo’s voice is horrible. I can’t stand his voice. It’s not meant to be on TV.
So, you don't watch games Romo broadcasts?

will never say anything negative about Keith Jackson. But he was never the reason anyone tuned in or out. Same for Chick Hearn or Vin Scully, although many Dodger fans would turn off the TV volume and tune in Vinny on the radio as needed.
I live in Florida and routinely turned on Dodger games on the extra innings package I paid for just to listen to Vin.
Respect

I love listening to Al Michaels. So what if maybe he wasn't as hyped as some would have liked, he's not Gus Johnson.

Maybe its because I'm 38, so he's always been calling football games for me, Al Michaels tends to be equated to big game, and I just like hearing the guy's voice. I like Collinsworth a lot more than other people seem to as well, and I always liked Berman at the draft. Maybe its a nostalgia thing, I know when I watch AEW, I like hearing Jim Ross voice even if he gets names mixed up too. I don't know, its weird to me how bothered people get by this. I don't care if an announcer screws up, or maybe isn't as energetic as they could/should be.

On the other hand, I'm probably not the target audience for announcers in general, as I'm usually analyzing things on my own.

ETA: I do really like the Mannings though. I guess that's an announce team I seek out, because its usually just more fun to listen to, and I can follow the game just fine on my own without announcers leading me.

Not a fan of announcers in general. Before the Manning brothers, I'd watch a game with music or literally anything else in the background. Watched Romo a couple of times. Not bad, but I went back to music. I'll listen to the Manning brothers, though.
That being said, when I did listen to announcers, I didn't care for Michaels. I had a vague sense he was talking down to the audience as opposed to watching it with them. And when he sounded unenthusiastic, I got the feeling he bet big the other way and isn't happy with the result. I've heard him make a few gambling /spread references, so I know he follows it.
But to answer the question, should he retire? I doubt he's much worse than whatever else is out there. So he might as well keep going.

Edit: I do sometimes listen to the announcers when I can get a Spanish feed. I do not speak Spanish. I just like the enthusiasm, and announcers aren't going to give me any critical insight, anyway. So it's enjoyable.

Last edited:
I like Mike Tirico. Hits the right notes.
Tirico's call of the Bengals fumble return the other night was awesome.

As for Al Michaels, he has an argument for best sports play by play guy ever, but he sounded like he was on auto-pilot all year. The countless bad games on Thursday nights didn't help, and I am sure being with Tony Dungy didn't help the other night either (Dungy is even more boring in the booth than he is as a studio analyst).

Michaels is kind of distracting (especially when he gets a little 'marble mouthy'), but he's not yet to the "last years of Harry Caray" level of distraction.

If they synch up, I prefer having the radio broadcast on if I can get it for a game. Those guys are actually putting in the work.

Users who are viewing this thread