What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Joe Horn officially done? (1 Viewer)

Slinger

Footballguy
In recent memory Horn has been ol' reliable in putting up top 10 numbers each year. Then last year, with the New Orleans situation and a sore hammy, Horn had only 654 yards receiving and 1 touchdown. Before this season he had 10 and 11 touchdowns respectively along with 973 and 1399 yards receiving.

Is he officially done? I understand that Aaron Brooks won't be the QB next year, but it's not like he was Joe Montana or anything. The optimistic in me says he'll bounce back and post respectable numbers even with a rookie QB at the helm.

J. Horn = WR3
That'll only happen on my team next season if he falls to the Amani Toomer/Joey Galloway 2005 range. If he goes earlier on name value someone else can have him. If he bounces back, I won't lose any sleep. That guy was such a worthless piece of crap this season I won't touch him unless he represents incredible draft value.

J. Horn = WR3
That'll only happen on my team next season if he falls to the Amani Toomer/Joey Galloway 2005 range. If he goes earlier on name value someone else can have him. If he bounces back, I won't lose any sleep. That guy was such a worthless piece of crap this season I won't touch him unless he represents incredible draft value.
:goodposting: At the point I'll trade him for a pack of gum.

Horn has at least two major things working against him:

1) a new QB that will have no predisposed notion of locking into him like Brooks did. And possibly a rookie QB at that.

2) an emerging Stallworth on the other side of him.

Not a good combination for Horn to get back to his past level of production.

J. Horn = WR3
You just said he's a #3 WR! :D

J. Horn = WR3
A pack of gum - even used gum - would represent better value than Horn provided this season. ;)

1) a new QB that will have no predisposed notion of locking into him like Brooks did. And possibly a rookie QB at that.

I think the emergence of Stallworth will actually help a healthy Horn. But hasn't the "emergence of Stallworth" been an every-year thing now? I also think NO will bring in a vet QB if (when) Brooks is cast aside as the "scape goat". After last season's fiasco, I can see NO trying to win and gain fans ($) back instead of grooming a rookie QB. His health is the biggest concern. Was it just a nagging injury last season, or is his age catching up with him. We shall see.That said, I'd take him as my bench #4 WR, he would have just as much a shot as a sleeper pick as many others.

I saw the same type of list last year on reasons to avoid an aged Vet. 1) Rookie QB

2) Super stud on the other side

3) Injury prone

4) Old

Who was this....

JGalloway. And we all know how that played out.

I would not ring the death knell just yet for Mr. Horn. He may not be a top tier guy, but I think he has real value (range #12-20).

J. Horn = WR3
I'm desperate.............just give me the gum. :hot: Horn ran his mouth then his routes. :rant:

I think the emergence of Stallworth will actually help a healthy Horn. But hasn't the "emergence of Stallworth" been an every-year thing now?
True, Stallworth hasn't quite reached his potential, but he did seem to take a step forward this year, and stayed healthy.It may help Horn, but in previous years, it was all Horn and little else to go around. So unless the passing game takes a major step forward (not likely), then there may not be enough to go around.

That said, I totally agree that Horn would be a terrific #4 to have.

I saw the same type of list last year on reasons to avoid an aged Vet. 1) Rookie QB

3) Injury prone

4) Old

Who was this....

I would not ring the death knell just yet for Mr. Horn. He may not be a top tier guy, but I think he has real value (range #12-20).
Fair points, but not exactly the same situationSimms wasn't a rookie, although he had little playing time. Clayton was a stud the previous year, but came into the season still hurt and out of shape.

But I agree we shouldn't bury Horn altogether. I just don't think he's top 20 anymore.

he's been too good for too long to discredit him for 2006. I hope you negative fans post alot and his value plummets by August.

3) Injury prone

4) Old

Who was this....

Fair points, but not exactly the same situationSimms wasn't a rookie, although he had little playing time. Clayton was a stud the previous year, but came into the season still hurt and out of shape.
Galloway also finished 2004 very strong, providing hints of what was to come this season. From Weeks 13-16 in 2004 he put up 20-257-5. The savvy fantasy owner took note of that and targeted him late. By contrast, Horn was an absolute dog who regressed as the season went along. He provided no indications he was going to be anywhere close to the player he had been before.

He does have seven months to heal though.

I keep thinking Jimmy Smith when I think about Horn - although Smith went through Coke withdrawal and did not really have an emerging stud on the other side

Galloway also finished 2004 very strong, providing hints of what was to come this season. From Weeks 13-16 in 2004 he put up 20-257-5. The savvy fantasy owner took note of that and targeted him late. By contrast, Horn was an absolute dog who regressed as the season went along. He provided no indications he was going to be anywhere close to the player he had been before.
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Horn's hammy played a part in in that. He wasn't 100%. Brooks getting benched for the final 3 games also isn't going to help his #'s. I think Joe's going to be ready for the next season. He's going to prove to be the most reliable WR they have. A Jimmy Smith scenario sounds about right to me.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that Horn's hammy played a part in in that. He wasn't 100%. Brooks getting benched for the final 3 games also isn't going to help his #'s. I think Joe's going to be ready for the next season. He's going to prove to be the most reliable WR they have. A Jimmy Smith scenario sounds about right to me.
:goodposting: I'm not quite this optomistic on him, but I think the hammy played a large part in his crummy numbers this year.

:goodposting: I'm not quite this optomistic on him, but I think the hammy played a large part in his crummy numbers this year.
I think Joe will fall far in drafts and end up being a steal. He'll be something like a #2 WR, taken with a #4 WR's draft pick.-Oh yeah, he is my #4 on my dynasty team. Here is to hoping this happens :banned: so that value will be there for a trade!-

I didn't see enough of the late season Saints game to know for sure.

It's always hard to gauge when the guy who consistently is outstanding (Horn) finished slow and the guy who has never done much before (Stallworth) comes on like gangbusters.

A sign of age or just a fluke? :shrug:

Where does Devery Henderson fall into this mix? He looked good at times and horrible others.

I'd love to see Horn fade away so DH can get some more play time, but that's my dynasty roster talking!

the comparison isn't perfect but...

in peyton manning's rookie season marvin harrison went for 776 yards and 7 td's. that's about where i'd expect joe horn's stats to be next season

In my dynasty league I traded for Joe Horn before the start of the 2005 season. Needless to say, I finished dead last (gave up B. Westbrook and C. Chambers for Horn and #1 2006 rookie pick). The good news is that I got the other guys 2006 rookie draft pick which turned out to be the #2 overall. Now I have the #1 picks. But back to Horn, boy did the forum "buy Horn low" comments screw me up last season! I guess it was just more related to bad luck (hurricane & hammy) more than the age concern.

I think Donte Stallworth also is in a contract year in 2006, so he should have crazy incentive to play well. My gut says he takes a big step forward this year and emerges as a solid #2 type fantasy WR.

I think Donte Stallworth also is in a contract year in 2006, so he should have crazy incentive to play well.  My gut says he takes a big step forward this year and emerges as a solid #2 type fantasy WR.
You know it's the offseason when....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Donte Stallworth also is in a contract year in 2006, so he should have crazy incentive to play well.  My gut says he takes a big step forward this year and emerges as a solid #2 type fantasy WR.
Good point. Thanks for adding to the discussion.

First, we need to look at things historically. From 2000-2004 here is what Horn did in his first five seasons with the Saints:

- Played in 78 out of 80 games

- Averaged 87 catches a season (high of 94, low of 78)

- Averaged 1257 yards per season (high: 1399, low:973)

- Averaged 9 TD's per season (high: 11, low 7)

His numbers from 2005 were 49 catches for 654 and 1 TD in only 13 games (he really missed more time than that by leaving other games early), which were far below his averages. Obviously he was slowed by a hammy all season and the team was in complete disarray, so its not fair to write him off after one horrific season.

Now we look to the future.

-There will be many changes to personnel (especially QB) and scheme this year in New Orleans.

-Horn will be 34, which is getting up there in age, but not too old for a WR.

-The Saints should be ranked dead last in their division behind ATL, CAR, & TB, so 2006 may be a complete reclamation project. Also, a traditionally lousy Saints defense could provide for some garbage stats potential.

-Younger WR talent in Henderson and Stallworth could steal opportunity, but McAllister is coming off knee surgery, so the likelihood of relying too much on Deuce is probably low.

So what does it all mean? Horn's numbers probably will rely most on the incoming QB, so its a little early to project his output. However, I would think that regardless of QB, Horn will still be a primary focal point in the offense with a possession WR role as the younger guys spread the field. I think if Horn develops a relationship with the new QB and becomes sort of a safety blanket, Horn can have very nice value - especially in PPR leagues.

Bottom line: Horn should be someone who you pay extremely close attention to in the pre-season. He is the perfect candidate to be undervalued and could be a steal if people rank him based solely on last season's numbers (which he was still on pace to catch 80 passes if he played in all 16 games BTW).

3) Injury prone

4) Old

Who was this....

:goodposting:

If I get him as my #2 WR ill be thrilled.

I usually build my #2 wr slot during the year. He'd lessen my FA fees. If Horn is healthy and getting some QB play, he starts.

Stallworth was a WR 2 fantasy player this past season.As far as WR's go he finished in the 24 spot for yards with 945, he finished tied for 14th in TD's with 7. He was number 23 with receptions at 70 (one more then H. Ward who had 69). He was also targeted almost 9 times a game.

He finished as the 21st overall WR this past season in my league.

He shook off a bit of that inconsistency at the start of the year and was a good option this past season. I look for a slight increase in all of the numbers posted above and he becomes more then just a number 2 fantasy WR, but as the previous poster puts it a solid WR2. Remember this guy is young. He is still only 24 years old. People tried to label him a bust, but he is turning the corner. Don't miss the bus on this guy.

The only thing that may be scary this season is we don't know who will be throwing him the ball. But, I believe he is the new #1 in NO and we won't see much if any of a decrese in this past season's performance.

The biggest reason Joe Horn will not be back to fantasy form is due to absence of A Brooks...who will not be there to put the Saints in such a hole that they will have to pass often in the 3rd and 4th to make a comeback. Joe Horn told this to Joe Horn.

Where does Devery Henderson fall into this mix? He looked good at times and horrible others.

I'd love to see Horn fade away so DH can get some more play time, but that's my dynasty roster talking!
Devery Henderson will be beaten out by Chase Lyman. Lyman will outperform both Henderson and Horn if he stays healthy. (Big if).

Users who are viewing this thread