What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Joique Bell dependable going forward? (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
What's the deal with the Bush benching, Bell's workload, and can he be trusted to get enough carries to be startable?

He'll get fairly decent work because of his ability to catch.....and is always a threat to get a TD.....but no....nothing more than a FLEX at this point. Too inconsistent.

He has an ankle injury but I haven't seen any recent updates on his status. He can put up points but is risky to start because his touches are usually limited. I hadn't heard of Bush being benched, where did you see that?

What's the deal with the Bush benching, Bell's workload, and can he be trusted to get enough carries to be startable?
Assuming you're referring to the Steelers game? The benching was a "coaching decision" based on a combination of his early fumble and a very slow track (sloppy field). That's how it was reported at halftime anyway.

Unless something popped up today I would think that things go back to the way they were in the Lions backfield.

I really like Bell a lot, but the only reason why I have him on my team is because I am a Reggie Bush owner. And even then, he is securely on my bench unless Bush got hurt. I likely wouldn't have him on my roster otherwise, and am even considering releasing him in the event I could get Bobby Rainey off of the waiver wire this week. Granted, Bell's injury plays a part in that line of thinking too.

Bell is a great late pick if you want go WR heavy or take chances on boom/bust guys. He's a consistent 6-8 point guy in non-ppr, with the occasional 16+ game thrown in. Remarkable consistency for a back-up.

Bell is a great late pick if you want go WR heavy or take chances on boom/bust guys. He's a consistent 6-8 point guy in non-ppr, with the occasional 16+ game thrown in. Remarkable consistency for a back-up.
Solid effort guy, seems like good value at where he is going. Bush & Stafford do not figure to vulture too many goalline/short yardage carries. Fullback they just signed should be a block only guy.

Love some Bell, I do, but his talent level compared to Bush is not on the same planet. I do love that we resigned him though, good player.

Rotoworld:

Joique Bell - RB - Lions
Lions OC Joe Lombardi confirmed Joique Bell and Reggie Bush will "kind of have a split role."
"I see these guys kind of having a split role and both being very productive," Lombardi said. We figured as much when the Lions re-signed Bell to a three-year, $9.3 million deal and brought in new coach Jim Caldwell, who likes to run a more traditional offense. The Detroit backfield is shaping up as a true 50:50 timeshare.

Related: Reggie Bush

Source: Dave Birkett on Twitter

Read that the new OC uses less 3wr sets than the last OC. This might mean more of both on the field at the same time.

From just glancing at PFF, it appears Bell was the better blocking back and was getting more of the 3rd down work later in the season. If that keeps up, I could see him being just as valuable if not more than Bush again this year. I like Bush alot, but he's a bit overvalued when you consider that Bell can be had much later in drafts and offer similar value.

Read that the new OC uses less 3wr sets than the last OC. This might mean more of both on the field at the same time.
This is what I'm expecting, Bell is a better blocker than Bush, I think he will take more of a blocking role on 3rd if they are both on the field, I also expect Bush to split out wide more often. I expect a Sproles type role with a substantial amount of more carries than Sproles would get.

Joique Bell led NFL in key Fantasy categoryBy Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com

The Lions gave Reggie Bush 223 carries and Joique Bell 166 last season. All indications are there will be an even split in 2014 under new coordinator Joe Lombardi.

Detroit showed its commitment to Bell by giving him $4.3 million guaranteed this offseason. Under new coach Jim Caldwell, the Lions will line up in more traditional sets and fewer shotgun formations, a trend that also favors Bell.

Bell only averaged 3.9 yards per carry, but he excelled where it mattered most. On 14 rushes inside the opponents' 10-yard line, Bell scored seven touchdowns. That 50 percent rate led all running backs with at least 14 chances.

Reggie Bush, on other hand, cashed in twice in 10 chances.

Here are the 2013 leaders in rushing touchdowns on carries from inside the 10:

Marshawn Lynch: 10 TDs, 37 carries

Jamaal Charles: 10 TDs, 27 carries

Eddie Lacy: 10 TDs, 25 carries

DeMarco Murray: 9 TDs, 23 carries

Fred Jackson: 8 TDs, 30 carries

Le'Veon Bell: 8 TDs, 26 carries

Knowshon Moreno: 8 TDs, 21 carries

Rashard Mendenhall: 8 TDs, 19 carries

Matt Forte: 7 TDs, 26 carries

Joique Bell: 7 TDs, 14 carries

BenJarvus Green-Ellis: 7 TDs, 19 carries

Zac Stacy: 6 TDs, 21 carries

Adrian Peterson: 6 TDs, 20 carries

Stevan Ridley: 6 TDs, 14 carries

Like Bush, Bell is an outstanding receiver. Bell caught 105 passes the past two years.

Dave Richard ranks Bush 16th and Bell 23rd among running backs, while Jamey Eisenberg has them 15th and 25th respectively. If Bell gets an even split of the carries and continues to be leaned on near the goal line, he'll fulfull his RB2 potential.

:oldunsure:

Joique Bell is currently rehabbing a left knee injury.
Bell posted a photo to his Instagram account that shows his left knee wrapped up with a pair of crutches by his side. The caption reads, "Be [back] in no time." Bell didn't participate in voluntary workouts, and coach Jim Caldwell refused comment. Bell battled a bit of a knee issue late last season. It's undoubtedly nothing serious. Bell should be 100 percent well before training camp.

Rotoworld:

Joique Bell - RB - Lions

Joique Bell confirmed his current left knee issue is related to an injury originally sustained during last season.

Bell didn't miss any games last year, but he was on the injury report with a knee injury in December. We'd be more concerned with the nagging nature if the Lions didn't just sign him to a three-year, $9.3 million contract. "I had it all last season, so you guys didn't even really notice," Bell said. "But it's something we just trying to get rid of before next season. So it's just being smart. ... I could practice right now if they really wanted me to." There's no reason to adjust any Bell projections.

Source: ESPN.com

May 22 - 9:16 AM

Rotoworld:

Reggie Bush - RB - Lions

Both Pierre Thomas (77) and Darren Sproles (71) caught more than 70 passes out of the backfield for the Saints last season.

New Lions OC Joe Lombardi was a Sean Payton understudy the previous seven seasons and is bringing the exact same offense to Detroit. "It's exactly the same," ex-Saint Reggie Bush said. While Bush's carries will likely be reduced, his catch total should experience a spike from the 54 balls he reeled in last year. Joique Bell also has great hands out of the backfield. Bell is going to see the biggest fantasy bump. Both backs should be PPR assets in 2014.

Related: Joique Bell

Source: detroitlions.com

May 22 - 1:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Joique Bell - RB - Lions

Joique Bell (knee) has been cleared to run at full speed, and says he's "feeling 100 percent."

Bell missed all of OTAs and minicamp, but received medical clearance two weeks after last month's minicamp came to a close. He plans to report to training camp a few days early to test out his body. Bell has been working out at Jay Glazer's Unbreakable Performance Center the past few weeks. We like Bell better than his current late-fifth round ADP. He has high-end RB2 upside.

Source: MLive.com

Jul 8 - 1:40 PM

The contract was mentioned above but it wasn't noted that Joique got more than what the Lions paid Reggie Bush last year.

Saw this today and found that 'very-interesting'.

This is ESPN fantasy's take on Joique Bell.

=================================

Mon, Jun 23
This winter the Lions could've kept Bell for one year at the second-round tender but instead worked out a two-year extension guaranteeing him $4.3 million -- more than they gave Reggie Bush a year ago. That says everything you need to know about new coach Jim Caldwell's plans. Bell is no longer merely an adjunct to Bush; he's a more physical and consistent rusher who also catches passes, and he'll warrant slightly less than half the Lions' halfback snaps. Bush has the game-breaking quicks that can win you weeks, and as such he's still the better fantasy commodity. But Bell is an acceptable flex in standard leagues and is more like an RB2 in PPR leagues.

Rotoworld:

Joique Bell - RB - Lions

Joique Bell (knee) is cutting and accelerating "with ease" at Lions camp.

Bell rested during OTAs and minicamp, but it was never a real concern. He's been back to 100 percent since early July, and is not limited at camp. Bell, who was just handed a three-year contract by the Lions, has a realistic shot at leading the team in carries. There's some value in his current fifth-round ADP.

Source: MLive.com

Jul 30 - 9:40 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein believes Joique Bell may lead the Lions in carries this season.

It's something we've forecasted since the Lions hired OC Joe Lombardi, a former Saints assistant who will likely utilize Bell in the Mark Ingram/Khiry Robinson role while Reggie Bush functions as the Pierre Thomas/Darren Sproles. Bell is also the favorite for goal-line carries in Detroit's high-upside offense.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 15 - 2:02 PM

No he is not dependable. Unless you are willing to realize that only a handful of RBs are dependable, then sure, he is no less dependable than the majority of the guys out there.

For this year, I would take Bush

No he is not dependable. Unless you are willing to realize that only a handful of RBs are dependable, then sure, he is no less dependable than the majority of the guys out there.

For this year, I would take Bush
Even though Bush is going in the late 3rd and Joique is going going two full rounds later in the late 5th?

Users who are viewing this thread