What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Percy Harvin relevant again? (1 Viewer)

Steelers4Life

Footballguy
I had no expectations for him this year. None. Not on that offense, with that QB, or with other WRs to compete with for touches.

But he seems to have outstanding chemistry with Taylor and he's caught almost everything thrown his way for three weeks. It's not like he's never flashed ability before and he's been a fringe WR2 so far in PPR, and he might be on the verge of putting on a show in week four. No McCoy should lead to an extra few opportunities running the ball, and no Watkins means he should be the clear #1 target against a Giants defense that can't stop the pass. If Watkins' calf injury lingers, Harvin's got a great opportunity there.

I don't know what his trade value is and I'd assume most don't want to acknowledge it, and I don't how long it'll last, but the man is set up to be special this week at least and it could set him up to be very, very relevant this year.

He has exceeded my expectations as well. Unfortunately he will always carry the injury prone and poor attitude stigma and that has permanently scarred his trade value. So unless you are ok with moving him at a discounted price, he is a hold. Might not be a bad hold this year as he could prove valuable as a wr3/4. I would only consider him a starter in games where Watkins is knowingly not playing. Otherwise I prefer him as my emergency backup.

He has been in on 144 offensive snaps (73.5%) but only 12 special teams snaps (13.6%) I assume the ST snaps are as a return guy. Looks like he has 2 kick returns for 45 yards so far both in the New England game. Don't see any punt returns on Pro-Football-Reference.

He has had 5, 5, & 8 targets (5, 4 & 7 receptions) and is only averaging 12 YPC but his catch rate is 88.9% so it looks like he is catching shorter crossing routes and demonstrating his RAC ability pretty regularly. And he also has 4 carries for 32 yards (8 YPC).

I don't think he will have trade value but he could be an interesting gamble as a WR3/Flex because it looks like the Bills are trying to be creative in getting him the ball and you know he has one or two of those sick 150 yard 3 TD games that win people fantasy games left in him and even better is that it looks like his floor is higher than most expected going into this season.

This might be a good week to play him.

jmo87usc said:
He has exceeded my expectations as well. Unfortunately he will always carry the injury prone and poor attitude stigma and that has permanently scarred his trade value. So unless you are ok with moving him at a discounted price, he is a hold. Might not be a bad hold this year as he could prove valuable as a wr3/4. I would only consider him a starter in games where Watkins is knowingly not playing. Otherwise I prefer him as my emergency backup.
The guy who coached him last season had his new team go out and sign him.

Agree with consensus here. Had him as a hold on the end of the bench with no expectations, now considering starting him as a flex player this week.

Didn't expect Taylor to be this good. If he keeps playing this well then Harvin is an every week start.

jmo87usc said:
The guy who coached him last season had his new team go out and sign him.
I understand that. I was referring to te responses I get from leaguemates when I try and trade him. But you are correct. That is a good selling point to bring up when they use that excuse for low balling on him.

Is this a trick question? Was he ever relevant?
Only the time he finished 24th in 15 games as a rookie. And the time he finished 22nd in 14 games as a sophomore. And the time he had 1300 yards and finished 8th in his third year. And the time he was the #2 fantasy WR over the first half of 2012 before getting injured.

Talent was never the question with Harvin. It's whether teams would put up with the headaches he caused. And, partly, how committed a team was going to be to using him, because he's certainly not a traditional receiver. It's been encouraging that not only did Rex like him enough to bring him along, and not only does Buffalo like him enough to feed him targets, but they've actually been using his speed on deep routes, too. I haven't seen a team send Harvin downfield this consistently since his Rookie of the Year season.

I think Watkins is also very talented, and I think Harvin's upside is capped as a result. But he's been a welcome surprise so far, and I'm cautiously optimistic going forward. I wouldn't want to rely on him much, but as a WR3 / flex play, he's a good find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Percy Harvin relevant again?

No, not even in 20 team leagues. Often injured player coming off the couch? No thanks, let someone else make that mistake. I'll play scrub of the week over him anyways.

Are you suggesting he'd be playing RB? Why would he be competing with those two? 
I really didn't hear that, and they really weren't trying out.  It was a joke.  But I am trying to make sense of how a team concludes they are signing Harvin.  

I really didn't hear that, and they really weren't trying out.  It was a joke.  But I am trying to make sense of how a team concludes they are signing Harvin.  
Rex has always liked Harvin - even though he doesn't know how to use him correctly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harvin was like a Montgomery-lite for the Bills and handled 10 manufactured touches (screens, handoffs) with Gilislee getting 15.  I don't think McCoy plays this week.

I would call him a long shot to be worthwhile but I wouldn't put his chances at zero.  He is only 28 years old.  I won't rush to pick him up but in deep leagues I will be watching.

I had no expectations for him this year. None. Not on that offense, with that QB, or with other WRs to compete with for touches.

But he seems to have outstanding chemistry with Taylor and he's caught almost everything thrown his way for three weeks. It's not like he's never flashed ability before and he's been a fringe WR2 so far in PPR, and he might be on the verge of putting on a show in week four. No McCoy should lead to an extra few opportunities running the ball, and no Watkins means he should be the clear #1 target against a Giants defense that can't stop the pass. If Watkins' calf injury lingers, Harvin's got a great opportunity there.

I don't know what his trade value is and I'd assume most don't want to acknowledge it, and I don't how long it'll last, but the man is set up to be special this week at least and it could set him up to be very, very relevant this year.
You can pick him up in our league, I'm not interested.

Harvin hasn't been relevant in 4 years.
I'm not talking about a fantasy option neither are worth being on any roster.  Harvin will help the Bills a hell of a lot more than Goodwin.   Goodwin hasn't been relevant ever.   Goodwin hurt himself jumping into the crowd in the preseason.  He can't run a basic route tree.  Can't catch the ball.  He can run deep.  He's a track guy attempting to play football. 

You are correct.  That is the only way it makes sense.  I just feel it won't be but a week until we hear he is re-retired.  Maybe I am wrong
They have no other choice. He's a better option than the WR's on the roster.  They were using Brandon Tate often last week as the 3rd WR before he got hurt, primarily a special teams guy his career. Harvin will give them a hybrid type guy for a couple games before he gets hurt and then maybe Woods will be closer to 100% and Clay is also nicked.  Better than calling up Dez Lewis or Ed Eagan.  5-7 touches a game for Harvin isn't out of the realm of possibility while McCoy is out.

They have no other choice. He's a better option than the WR's on the roster.  They were using Brandon Tate often last week as the 3rd WR before he got hurt, primarily a special teams guy his career. Harvin will give them a hybrid type guy for a couple games before he gets hurt and then maybe Woods will be closer to 100% and Clay is also nicked.  Better than calling up Dez Lewis or Ed Eagan.  5-7 touches a game for Harvin isn't out of the realm of possibility while McCoy is out.
I get that they are depleted.  It just seems it would make sense to get a WR who has actually played in the last year or two.  I'm sure guys like Britt or Torrey Smith would be more useful and wouldn't cost too much.  But hey, it cost no pick to sign Harvin, so why not give him a look and see, right?  

Twitter rumors,not by any credible source I want to add,  perking up that Spiller is in Buffalo right now. If so got to give it to Rex for making it interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that they are depleted.  It just seems it would make sense to get a WR who has actually played in the last year or two.  I'm sure guys like Britt or Torrey Smith would be more useful and wouldn't cost too much.  But hey, it cost no pick to sign Harvin, so why not give him a look and see, right?  
He played for them until he retired last year, he's familiar with Tyrod and most of the scheme.  Torrey Smith's contract is ridiculous 7m long term.  Harvin costs them 1m as a rental for 8 games.  He's a better option than the junk on their practice squad.  I'm curious to see if Josh Gordon gets dealt anywhere.  I hate the NFL trade deadline is so boring.

I'm not talking about a fantasy option neither are worth being on any roster.  Harvin will help the Bills a hell of a lot more than Goodwin.   Goodwin hasn't been relevant ever.   Goodwin hurt himself jumping into the crowd in the preseason.  He can't run a basic route tree.  Can't catch the ball.  He can run deep.  He's a track guy attempting to play football. 
Goodwin has 3 tds this year and 2 100 yd games (well, one being 93).  That's not exactly garbage.

He's probably not in football shape, to go along with everything else that is wrong with him.
Which is why he'll be a sub-package guy and a wrinkle in their very productive run game.  I wouldn't be surprised if he was a Montgomery-lite while McCoy is hurt.

Goodwin just suffered his 6th concussion in 3 years. Neither Goodwin or Harvin are fantasy relevant.  If you had to stash one. It's Percy for the potential runs and screens that he's gotten in Buffalo last year. Goodwin is a one trick pony.  If he doesn't catch a deep ball he's not going to give you anything.  He can't run routes.  Percy can run the routes but just can't stay healthy, which Goodwin can't either.  Tyrod won't make anyone a fantasy asset.  This is more of an NFL move than fantasy.

You can pick him up in our league, I'm not interested.
That was a year + ago that I said that... but with all of the injuries and bye week issues I have, I just might! 

Time off either helped him get his mind and body right, or it took away what was left of his ability.  Time will tell I guess.

Nothing to see here. He adds depth and another body. He may even have a fantasy relevant game once or twice this season. But he has never had a history of consistency and this seems more like a desperation signing than anything else. He will only break your heart.

Goodwin has 3 tds this year and 2 100 yd games (well, one being 93).  That's not exactly garbage.
And from a film standpoint, he isn't good. He can run a go route and take it to the house, but anything else that is asked of him is pretty much off the table. He's just simply not good. Whereas Percy is, just couldn't stay healthy.

And from a film standpoint, he isn't good. He can run a go route and take it to the house, but anything else that is asked of him is pretty much off the table. He's just simply not good. Whereas Percy is, just couldn't stay healthy.
Didn't Harvin suck when he was healthy toward the end?

Didn't Harvin suck when he was healthy toward the end?

5 - 79 - 1  | 1 - 9

4 - 47 - 0 | 1 - 7

7 - 66 - 0 | 2 - 16

3 - 26 - 0 | 0 - 0

0 - 0 - 0 | 1 - -1

I guess my recollection of his performance doesn't show up to be so hot In the gamelogs for whatever reason. He was the best WR on the team in the first few weeks before he got injured. They were a run first team after all but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread