What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there anything worse than assembling IKEA furniture? (1 Viewer)

What’s Worse?

• Assembling IKEA Furniture

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • nothing

Votes: 37 72.5%

• Total voters
Only thing I have ever bought from Ikea was a Trofast shelving/toy storage unit for my son. Used as a Lego table with the base plates on the top and then all the pieces go in the trays. Wasn’t difficult to put together though there is not much to it. I could see a dresser or cabinet or something being a little more of a challenge. 

I could put together IKEA stuff all day long. Its oddly cathartic for me, relaxing and satisfying (obviously, combined with drugs and alcohol, some music.)  As someone noted above, its like doing a lego or a jigsaw puzzle. Its been many years since we bought anything from IKEA, but I did quite a few pieces for our first house about 15 years ago and thought the directions were excellent (in comparison to other assembly mail-order stuff I've had to deal with over the years.) It takes some patience and diligence, but is a thing of beauty when it all comes together.
Agreed ... light years beyond anything from China.

it's been in brooklyn for a decade. but maybe he went there too?

the malm series is pretty decent. easy-ish to put together and looks good for a while. yeah, I'd prefer to buy it pre-made, but awfully hard to beat that price.
My notebook has FC42 from SI, so I think most SI people tend to shop in NJ (former SI person myself), but you could be right too.  

2.) More importantly than anything - DON'T use those stupid little hex wrenches - it's a big waste of time and terribly frustrating.  I got out my cordless drill, popped in a hex key bit, RTFM'd the hell out of the instructions and sailed through the rest of that furniture.  There's tight places where you may be forced to use the hex key wrench but by and large the drill with a hex key bit is the way to go.
At least go get a set of these.  I use these things all the time.

Also, never been in an Ikea.  Don't have one here.  Probably a good thing.

shadyridr said:
No he's Brooklyn, Im SI
Question regarding Staten Island, point of disagreement between my wife & I. 

Where 440 meets 278, so the HOV lane they installed heading towards the VZ has been a glorious success imo. Heading from the VZ to the Goethals or OB on the other hand, the HOV lane has been a huge failure. I’m of the opinion where the HOV lane ends (I believe it’s close to Victory) and merges, that merge creates a major backup. 

Agree or disagree?

Where 440 meets 278, so the HOV lane they installed heading towards the VZ has been a glorious success imo. Heading from the VZ to the Goethals or OB on the other hand, the HOV lane has been a huge failure. I’m of the opinion where the HOV lane ends (I believe it’s close to Victory) and merges, that merge creates a major backup. 

Agree or disagree?
Doing an hov lane on the west bound side is always going to be weird because of the number of people going to the outerbridge. Now if they ran the lane longer and gave a dedicated ramp exit from it to the west shore expressway, that would be fantastic. 

Agree or disagree?
The drivers are all going to the same destination from SI to Brooklyn (the Verrazano Bridge) so no need for HOV riders to cut across. The drivers going from Brooklyn to SI all have to eventually cut across for either local exits, 440, or Goethals. Also depends on what time you take them.

Also, like Legos recently, there's always a few extra parts included.  Which makes you wonder, once you're done, "OK, what did I miss?".  

I don’t mind it.  I do wish they came with a few extra fasteners though.
We don't have a full store near us but there is a pick-up point and fasteners are all out front in bins free for the taking.  I've never had to use this but nice to know it's there in a pinch if I need something.

I have bought a few items lately (Hemnes bed, dresser, night tables, kitchen cabinets (mostly installed by a professional IKEA installer, although after watching I think anyone could do it), and an office chair.  I think once you've built a few things you kind of understand the drawings better and, cabinets tend to have the same general format. Seems pretty solid and my gf and I have tested out the bed so have to say I'm pretty pleased. (with IKEA)

When my son turned 11, he had outgrown his Lightening McQueen bed. . . honestly I think his feet were hanging over the bed, he had some mix and mash pieces, etc. At that time we didn't have an Ikea here in Indy so we could either drive to Cincinnati or Chicago. . . we chose Cincinnati. Man, sometimes you just luck out. I rented a Chevy Tahoe/Toyota Sequoia sized SUV for the day, went to pick it up, it's sitting there and two or three employees are surrounding it. I walked inside, hoping that was someone else's, it wasn't, it was mine. It had a check engine light and it wasn't running properly.

The guy behind the counter said "I'm really sorry, I can't rent that to you but I have an extended length Sprinter, it's all cleaned up and ready to go. I said "absolutely, let's do that." He said "for being so cool man, I'm going to give you unlimited miles and I'll rent it at the price of an economy car." Done deal. I took it home, I removed a row of removable seats (put it in the garage) and off we drove to Cincinnati. We had never been to Ikea before, I wasn't sure what to expect and thank God we got that van b/c we got him a dresser, two night stands, bed, mattress, desk, glass tops for his furniture, mirrors, tons of kitchen crap, bathroom rugs, etc. Honestly, we completely filled that Sprinter.

So, I really enjoy working with my hands, I don't know how handy I am but I've always enjoyed putting things together. I put part of the dresser together, it took me an hour or 90 minutes and as I'm assembling it I found I put it together incorrectly and I thought "crap, I have to take this apart and redo it." So I had two light bulb moments here.

1.) RTFM - Read The Freaking Manual because I was going by what I thought made sense to me, that was 100% on me.

2.) More importantly than anything - DON'T use those stupid little hex wrenches - it's a big waste of time and terribly frustrating. I got out my cordless drill, popped in a hex key bit, RTFM'd the hell out of the instructions and sailed through the rest of that
online home furniture. There's tight places where you may be forced to use the hex key wrench but by and large the drill with a hex key bit is the way to go.

I will say say this, is Ikea furniture great quality or whatever? Of course not, but for a kids room or college dorm or first apartment, newly weds on a budget, etc. I think it's awesome because you have furniture, it fills the room, you're probably going to move a few times and after a few years you can either toss that stuff, give it away, donate it or at least if it gets damaged in a move, it's not the end of the world. Especially for kids that beat the crap out furniture, I think it's pretty awesome.
I am contemplating purchasing a bed and mattress from Ikea, and I wanted to know if it is really that difficult for a marginally intelligent person to put together furniture from there.
Wow, that was 7 years ago and most of it is actually still holding up. It's very basic furniture but it had held up reasonably well for what we paid for it. And to answer your question, no, it's not that difficult but do pay attention to the manual and get a cordless drill and hex bits, it's well worth it, it saves a TON of time. We bought some squiggly mirrors for his room, we never installed those and I think I just threw them out a month or two ago. He still has THE BEST little lamp, it's a rechargeable desk lamp that twists in all different directions but, unfortunately, they stopped making it years ago. Good luck and have fun!

If you can build it in the room it is going to live in, and never move it, I think it holds up well enough for what it is. But IKEA, Sauder, etc., never seems to be the same if you ever have to carry it up/down a flight of stairs, or actually put it in within direct line of sight of a moving van.

If you can build it in the room it is going to live in, and never move it, I think it holds up well enough for what it is. But IKEA, Sauder, etc., never seems to be the same if you ever have to carry it up/down a flight of stairs, or actually put it in within direct line of sight of a moving van.
lol. it’s disposable. don’t dare move it or it loses all squareness and function. a van? it crumples like it is telling you “i’m way too old and fragile to move”.

We stopped in this morning for some cheap wine glasses for the party. They didn’t open until 10 and we had 10 minutes to kill. It looked like there was a lot of people in the cafeteria so we thought we’d just hang out there.

Granted it was mostly seniors but the old fogies know a deal when they see one…

Eggs, bacon and crispy home fries the way I like them, and some decent coffee for around $5.

Christ I’m old.

instructions are made for those in mensa and inevitably, you finish and realize something is backwards or upside down and you have some spare screws and dowels leftover. it screams, try and move me.

I’d say moving it is worse as it starts to fall apart as those particle board joints start to loosen.
Disassembling a large IKEA furniture for a move and trying to reassemble it is even worse. Been there done that for some friends. I had the same bad experience with a 6-foot bookshelf from Office Depot, the reassembled bookshelf, a bottom and top part, didn't tie together well after the move, it was in danger of falling.

I used to love their Cafe, and the food at checkout. They even have several plant-based options. Haven't been since the pandemic.

I’d say moving it is worse as it starts to fall apart as those particle board joints start to loosen.
Disassembling a large IKEA furniture for a move and trying to reassemble it is even worse. Been there done that for some friends. I had the same bad experience with a 6-foot bookshelf from Office Depot, the reassembled bookshelf, a bottom and top part, didn't tie together well after the move, it was in danger of falling.

I used to love their Cafe, and the food at checkout. They even have several plant-based options. Haven't been since the pandemic.
been to 2 ikeas in italy. a giant brand new one is right next to the harrport at fco. they have fresh squeezed OJ.

Users who are viewing this thread