What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this corrupt or just terrible ethics? (1 Viewer)

Hello all, I play dynasty on a popular site. This particular company does not allow trading of future 1st round picks during the regular season(stupid, I know). Once the season ends, you pay up your fees and voila, you have a 1st rounder to deal as you would like. As you could imagine, this limits trading during the season, example, in one league there was a guy that tried to pry M Andrews from my roster for his playoff run. He wrote me in a private message the he would “give me his 1st” on top of what his offer was in a “gentleman agreement”. I quickly declined stating that I didn’t like that idea and that seemed clearly a violation of the rules. I never really thought about this again, thinking it was pretty random.

Until, one of my league mates exposed another player of doing so and then not renewing and screwing someone over in the past in a different league. Now this guy has admitted of doing this in several leagues, but does not admit not following through. He then says the website knows of this and that they are cool with it. Shockingly, after chatting with them, it’s true, they allow this, although they don’t officially allow trading if 1st round picks.

Is this craziness or am I just overreacting?

As a commissioner, I can’t wrap my head around this one.

If they allow it, what's the problem? Other than being a terrible site I guess set up perfectly for scammers who are gonna quit the league.
Question. Why are you even using their site? Can't trade 1sts during the season?? Horrible. Threaten to leave if they don't change it. Or better yet, just leave.

If they allow it, what's the problem? Other than being a terrible site I guess set up perfectly for scammers who are gonna quit the league.
Question. Why are you even using their site? Can't trade 1sts during the season?? Horrible. Threaten to leave if they don't change it. Or better yet, just leave.
Yes, I will be leaving after this season. I am already all paid up.

The trading of the 1st round pick isn’t allowed though. I was ok with the rules as they were, I didn’t realize there is a special set of rules for the “whales” of the website who have 100+ leagues. I am trying to figure out if I’m the only one outraged by this. If that’s the case, then so be it. I guess I am just overreacting.

Are you sure this site is "popular"??
I've never heard of a league not allowing future picks traded during the season, but allow it in the offseason.
It’s only the 1st round picks that are blocked from trading in season. And yes, it’s a popular website with major tournaments and leagues.

Why the secrets? What is the site? What is the rational for not allowing someone to trade first rounders but allowing other picks to be traded?

That is a very odd rule. The allowance of 2nd+ rounders to be traded, but not 1st's, is weirder than just not allowing pick trades at all. In our league (on CBS), picks are not listed on the site at all. We kind of have it set up to do everything manually. So as far as the platform itself is concerned, there is no such thing as picks, ever. (Granted, I think CBS is capable of handling picks, it's just the way we have it set up, for whatever reason.) So we just comment in any picks we are offering or seeking, within the the trade offer itself. Then if there is a pick comment on a trade that is accepted, the commissioner simply comments the picks onto the automated trade announcement on the feed.

If everyone (or majority at least) wants first rounders to be available to trade st all times ... then just do something like we do and have the commissioner keep track of it, but it should all be public.

I understand the theory of not allowing trading of 1st round picks until you are paid up for the following year. The execution is just wrong. If they want to ensure participation for future years so you don't gut a team of draft picks and then bail then you should always be paying year(s) in advance prior to the season and then have all of the paid year's picks available to trade as you see fit.

The shadiness is the "player to be named later" aspect of promising more assets for a trade now. I would never allow that as that is a way to essentially make one strong team out of two in the short term for promises of future benefits. That is collusion to me. This is especially wrong if it is hidden from the rest of the league as part of the deal. I still wouldn't allow the PTBNL aspect in trades but I could understand if the league all agrees it is ok and then it is made public at the time of the trade. I wouldn't allow it in a league I commish but if there is a league out there that thinks it is ok and everyone agrees then go for it.

This hits another level of shady if the owner is promising future assets to get a deal done now, then quits the league and leaves the other guy hanging. Just a terrible look and is a major reason why I wouldn't play in a money league with people I don't know.

For me the issue is league hosts trying to figure out how best to straddle the line between "host" and "sheriff". Whether fair or otherwise, players will come crying to the host when someone stiffs someone else like this. If the host is holding the money (fees and pots) they have even more reason to act as arbitrator and the more they do the messier it gets.

I have asked for a full refund of my 4 leagues. I also find it ridiculous.

The website is RealTimeSports or RTS. A site I have been playing on for 12+ years

I am in one league on RTS and they allow trading future first round picks.
All 4 of mine do not. Unless you get into a gentleman agreement”, apparently.

It’s all good, I have been refunded and my teams are up for sale. I’ll bring my funds to a different site now.

Side note, I will also be moving my 12 year keeper league from that site as well. They charge us 150$ a year. Which site do guys use and do they do auctions,IDP and how much per year? Thanks

For me the issue is league hosts trying to figure out how best to straddle the line between "host" and "sheriff". Whether fair or otherwise, players will come crying to the host when someone stiffs someone else like this. If the host is holding the money (fees and pots) they have even more reason to act as arbitrator and the more they do the messier it gets.
The guys doing this are the ones with huge amounts of leagues. It’s very fishy. Just make trading of the 1st official, problem solved.

I think the moral of the story is don't play in leagues with strangers when money is on the line.
Ummmm, pretty sure the vast majority of people don't have 11 friends who play dynasty FF.
Especially dynasty FF.
I am surprised by this. I am in multiple leagues where I know 95% of the people personally and the ones I don't know are because one or two have left the league and been replaced by friends of people already in the league. There is some overlap (maybe two or 3 common owners) but for the most part they are unique leagues. Although, to be fair only one of the leagues is dynasty and it is very complicated (salary cap, contracts, IDP).

Hello all, I play dynasty on a popular site. This particular company does not allow trading of future 1st round picks during the regular season(stupid, I know). Once the season ends, you pay up your fees and voila, you have a 1st rounder to deal as you would like. As you could imagine, this limits trading during the season, example, in one league there was a guy that tried to pry M Andrews from my roster for his playoff run. He wrote me in a private message the he would “give me his 1st” on top of what his offer was in a “gentleman agreement”. I quickly declined stating that I didn’t like that idea and that seemed clearly a violation of the rules. I never really thought about this again, thinking it was pretty random.

Until, one of my league mates exposed another player of doing so and then not renewing and screwing someone over in the past in a different league. Now this guy has admitted of doing this in several leagues, but does not admit not following through. He then says the website knows of this and that they are cool with it. Shockingly, after chatting with them, it’s true, they allow this, although they don’t officially allow trading if 1st round picks.

Is this craziness or am I just overreacting?

As a commissioner, I can’t wrap my head around this one.
That's obviously shady AF.

That's why I love MFL - picks are there to trade for however long the league sets it. One of my leagues it's 2 years, the other it's 1 year.

One of those leagues (the one that allows for only the following year's picks to be dealt) only makes them available to teams who pay for the following year - which helps to ensure that a team doesn't trade all of their future picks and quit, or if they do, at least they've paid up. Not the greatest consolation to the team taking over if it comes to that, but the league isn't hosed.

I would bail on that host as quickly as possible. I don't understand why the software wouldn't allow for trading of future picks in a dynasty format, but that's just wonky.

I think the moral of the story is don't play in leagues with strangers when money is on the line.
Ummmm, pretty sure the vast majority of people don't have 11 friends who play dynasty FF.
Especially dynasty FF.
I am surprised by this. I am in multiple leagues where I know 95% of the people personally and the ones I don't know are because one or two have left the league and been replaced by friends of people already in the league. There is some overlap (maybe two or 3 common owners) but for the most part they are unique leagues. Although, to be fair only one of the leagues is dynasty and it is very complicated (salary cap, contracts, IDP).
So what do you do if you want to be in 5 dynasty leagues?

Especially dynasty FF.
Reevaluate all of my life choices.

ZING!!!

The website is RealTimeSports or RTS. A site I have been playing on for 12+ years.
My post-season league is on that site. I checked it out once and found it totally customizable.

Are you sure this isn't a commish setting?
This is definitely a commish problem and not a site problem. Haven't used rts in a while but unless they changed it to be more restrictive for some reason we could trade 1sts when we used it - and none of the people I play with are BIG TUNAS.

The website is RealTimeSports or RTS. A site I have been playing on for 12+ years.
My post-season league is on that site. I checked it out once and found it totally customizable.

This is definitely a commish problem and not a site problem. Haven't used rts in a while but unless they changed it to be more restrictive for some reason we could trade 1sts when we used it - and none of the people I play with are BIG TUNAS.
No , it’s not. It’s amazing how you guys assume things. RTS is the commissioner of these leagues as they are public leagues and not private leagues with commissioners.

Especially dynasty FF.

Guess all my friends are huge football nerds.
:kicksrock:
I have tried to get my league that I commish to commit to Dynasty, I barely get support for the idea. As soon as I mention IDP, most people back way off.

I wish I had 11 friends that wanted to do this!

We have our home league on RTSports and we can trade mulitple years in advance. It's not uncommon for 5 future 1st round picks to be traded. I know people will say that no one is worth that but it's just how the league evolved. It's a league that's been this way since we started in 1995.

We have our home league on RTSports and we can trade mulitple years in advance. It's not uncommon for 5 future 1st round picks to be traded. I know people will say that no one is worth that but it's just how the league evolved. It's a league that's been this way since we started in 1995.
Private leagues are different. I also had no issues with my private league. Other than the 150$ a year fee.

Totally different scenario here. I have emails to prove it all.

Private leagues are different. I also had no issues with my private league. Other than the 150$ a year fee.

Totally different scenario here. I have emails to prove it all.
Fair enough.

No , it’s not. It’s amazing how you guys assume things. RTS is the commissioner of these leagues as they are public leagues and not private leagues with commissioners.
So this is an RTS hosted public league?

I didn't know they did that - I'm not assuming anything. Like I said, I considered moving my league there, but went with MFL instead. And I am positive that was a commish setting to allow trades of future picks.

If they handle it differently for RTS-hosted leagues that's another subject. I had no idea.

I didn't know they did that - I'm not assuming anything. Like I said, I considered moving my league there, but went with MFL instead. And I am positive that was a commish setting to allow trades of future picks.

If they handle it differently for RTS-hosted leagues that's another subject. I had no idea.
That’s the problem here, RTS is admitting to letting this happen. It’s why I was so mad, but yet I was still wondering if I was overreacting. I’m glad to see that many see this as BS as well.

That’s the problem here, RTS is admitting to letting this happen. It’s why I was so mad, but yet I was still wondering if I was overreacting. I’m glad to see that many see this as BS as well.
I don't think you're overreacting. Either they allow it or they don't. If it's not in the rules then it shouldn't be allowed.

Side note, I will also be moving my 12 year keeper league from that site as well. They charge us 150$ a year. Which site do guys use and do they do auctions,IDP and how much per year? Thanks
Sleeper is free. Not as customizable as MFL though. Believe Sleeper has IDP but don't know for sure.
On Sleeper, I think the only auction option available is one nomination at a time, therefore needing it to be a live auction.
A slow auction, with multiple nominations, could be run on MFL with a league set up on Sleeper and people can add their players as they win them in the auction. I am in a 16 team dynasty league that did that last summer.

Especially dynasty FF.
Reevaluate all of my life choices.

ZING!!!
Something like this. I couldn't imagine trying to do 5 dynasty leagues.

Rockchild and I are in a league with a policy of paying in advance for next year if you trade away your first. It’s enforced by the commissioner. I think it’s a sensible thing to do. No idea what rts issue is. Sounds like a bad deal.
Great idea, the current system is messed up. Oh well, I’ll be bringing my extra 1000$ to FFPC or maybe other sites.

Rockchild and I are in a league with a policy of paying in advance for next year if you trade away your first. It’s enforced by the commissioner. I think it’s a sensible thing to do. No idea what rts issue is. Sounds like a bad deal.
Yeah FFPC makes you pay the following year if you trade your future 1st. I think it's a great rule.
If one of you wants to switch to FFPC I got a nice $250 team for sale, lol. If interested let me know and I will give you the roster. It's got a $500 bid on dynasty depot right now

Yeah FFPC makes you pay the following year if you trade your future 1st. I think it's a great rule.
If one of you wants to switch to FFPC I got a nice $250 team for sale, lol. If interested let me know and I will give you the roster. It's got a $500 bid on dynasty depot right now
I’m going to be buying at least one in the next few days.

Which site do guys use and do they do auctions,IDP and how much per year? Thanks
MFL is great. Recommended for dynasty.
How much are the yearly fees on MFL? They are in my short list, for sure. They do auctions as well?
MFL does slow auctions well. Not sure I'd wanna do a live one.

MFL in general is wonky....TONS of settings and immense amount of customization is possible. That's both a good thing, and a bad thing. Good is that you can set the league up however you want, adjust any and all scoring parameters however you want. The bad thing is that sometimes things you'd assume should be simple/routine are a buried option somewhere in what sometimes feels like an antiquated interface.

That said, a routine league without wonky rules isn't hard to do, and it's cheaper then RTS at around 90

Which site do guys use and do they do auctions,IDP and how much per year? Thanks
How much are the yearly fees on MFL? They are in my short list, for sure. They do auctions as well?

MFL in general is wonky....TONS of settings and immense amount of customization is possible. That's both a good thing, and a bad thing. Good is that you can set the league up however you want, adjust any and all scoring parameters however you want. The bad thing is that sometimes things you'd assume should be simple/routine are a buried option somewhere in what sometimes feels like an antiquated interface.

That said, a routine league without wonky rules isn't hard to do, and it's cheaper then RTS at around 90
How does the slow draft work? And how long do you think a 12 team league with 24 players rostered would take?

I have done many slow drafts, not auctions, on FFPC, where the person on the clock has a long limit. Usually 2, 4 or even up to 8hrs per pick. I was in a 12 team league a few years ago with 8hr limits, it took almost 4 weeks to complete.

How does the slow draft work? And how long do you think a 12 team league with 24 players rostered would take?

I have done many slow drafts, not auctions, on FFPC, where the person on the clock has a long limit. Usually 2, 4 or even up to 8hrs per pick. I was in a 12 team league a few years ago with 8hr limits, it took almost 4 weeks to complete.
Depends on your league & how you set it up. We had something like 10 players at a time being bid on, and It took -7 days for a 30-man roster.

Users who are viewing this thread