What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It seems that Priest has taken a pay cut (1 Viewer)

Kevin Ashcraft

Footballguy
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=136653

Code:
So much for Priest being selfish.http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=25151Code:Year     Salary2001  448,000.002002  750,000.002003  550,000.002004  660,000.002005  2,415,000.002006  670,000.002007  870,000.002008  1,070,000.002009  1,270,000.00FTR Priest's original salaries for 2006-2009 were:Code:2006 3,250,0002007 4,000,0002008 5,000,0002009 6,500,000
Seems the old man wants to stay around after all.....

Kevin,

Do you know if:

1) Priest has any type of roster bonus coming this year?

2) What happens with his cap # if he retires?

3) What happens if they put him on the pup list?

Thanks,

db

NFLPA does not show cap number and signing bonuses - only base salary...

Probably got a bit of a signing bonus that would still make 2007 a saving if he retires (and a cap is in place)

Edited to add: if there is no signing bonus then Priest is almost sure to retire...

Last edited by a moderator:
When Priest started "Team Priest" and was pushing so hard for more money the contract he signed was an extension, not a new contract. If I recall corrrectly 2005 was the last year covered under his original KC contract. The extension would begin with 2006 which would explain the base salary starting lower again, offset by the big signing bonus then building each year.

I don't know where the original poster got the "original" 2006 number from as the link to the nflpa site only has the "current" numbers. I haven't seen anything yet announcing that Priest reworked his contract. Not trying to say he is wrong, but I am skeptical.

Kevin,

Do you know if:

1) Priest has any type of roster bonus coming this year?

2) What happens with his cap # if he retires?

3) What happens if they put him on the pup list?

Thanks,

db
From what I know all his bonus money was regular bonus money not tied to roster status. I dont know how it works if he retires. I would hope that his entire bonus doesnt go on the books....that would mean the player would have the team by the balls when they are considering retirement.I dont see the PUP list happening.

When Priest started "Team Priest" and was pushing so hard for more money the contract he signed was an extension, not a new contract. If I recall corrrectly 2005 was the last year covered under his original KC contract. The extension would begin with 2006 which would explain the base salary starting lower again, offset by the big signing bonus then building each year.

I don't know where the original poster got the "original" 2006 number from as the link to the nflpa site only has the "current" numbers. I haven't seen anything yet announcing that Priest reworked his contract. Not trying to say he is wrong, but I am skeptical.
The #s are accurate.....why would PH lobby on national TV for an extension that was for a base salary of 670K? I made remarks months ago that because of his base salary and his cap # he had the power vs. Lamar Hunt, and the KC brass. If he stays it was going to be as a 3 Million + backup/3rd down back, and he was saying he was cleared to play while the team said their doctors said he wasnt cleared.I had predicted a public dispute, but it seems as if Priest is being classy, taking the paycut in base salary, which will allow him to come back if he choooses or retire, and it doesnt hurt KC if he stays.

When Priest started "Team Priest" and was pushing so hard for more money the contract he signed was an extension, not a new contract.  If I recall corrrectly 2005 was the last year covered under his original KC contract.  The extension would begin with 2006 which would explain the base salary starting lower again, offset by the big signing bonus then building each year.

I don't know where the original poster got the "original" 2006 number from as the link to the nflpa site only has the "current" numbers.  I haven't seen anything yet announcing that Priest reworked his contract.  Not trying to say he is wrong, but I am skeptical.
The #s are accurate.....why would PH lobby on national TV for an extension that was for a base salary of 670K? I made remarks months ago that because of his base salary and his cap # he had the power vs. Lamar Hunt, and the KC brass. If he stays it was going to be as a 3 Million + backup/3rd down back, and he was saying he was cleared to play while the team said their doctors said he wasnt cleared.I had predicted a public dispute, but it seems as if Priest is being classy, taking the paycut in base salary, which will allow him to come back if he choooses or retire, and it doesnt hurt KC if he stays.
Here are 2 links that indicate he signed a 5 year deal in the spring of 2001. That contract expired at the end of the 2005 season.Link for original contract and $10 million dollar bonus for the new extension

2nd link with same info

My contention is that the $10,000,000 bonus was the reason he has such a low base salary for the first year of the contract extension. He didn't lobby for the low base salary, he lobbied for the $10 million.

I would be shocked that Priest would do anything to help out the Chiefs financially unless he comes out whole in the process. It is not in his nature and there isn't much reason for him to help out the Chiefs at his expense.

Users who are viewing this thread