What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's My Turn: Another Dog Thread (1 Viewer)

RevDawg

Footballguy
We took Sydney, our golden lab, border collie mix, to the vet yesterday. She has been losing weight, throwing up, and lethargic lately. The blood work confirmed our biggest fear. She is in kidney failure. Because of the very elevated levels of calcium in her blood, the vet thinks she has a tumor that is causing the kidney failure.

She is nine and a half. We got her a few months before our youngest daughter, who is adopted, joined our family. The two of them have grown up together. The older two kids love Sydney too, but not like the youngest. There was a lot of crying in our house yesterday.

We brought her home from the vet and can take her back for, well, you know, when we feel like she and we are ready. She's been going down hill very fast, so I don't think it's going to be long.

She's not a particularly good dog. In fact, she's kind of a stinker. She has a kind of sarcastic personality. I think that's why I love her so much.

Damn, this is going to be tough.

:cry:

sorry to hear it.

dropped my yellow lab off at the vet today for an ultrasound so i am right there with you. xray showed an "unidentified mass". he hasnt eaten much in the last week and has been lathargic.

good luck

sorry to hear it.

dropped my yellow lab off at the vet today for an ultrasound so i am right there with you. xray showed an "unidentified mass". he hasnt eaten much in the last week and has been lathargic.

good luck
Thanks, Joe. Same to you.

First week of June we had to put our 15 year old yellow lab down. Possibly the worst thing I've ever had to do in my life until yesterday when I had to take in our 13 year yellow lab to be put down. It was hard coming home from work yesterday and not have anyone there to greet me :cry:

First week of June we had to put our 15 year old yellow lab down. Possibly the worst thing I've ever had to do in my life until yesterday when I had to take in our 13 year yellow lab to be put down. It was hard coming home from work yesterday and not have anyone there to greet me :cry:
Right there with you. :cry:

Sounds like your dog is suffering. It may be time to put her down to end the suffering.I feel for you because I just put my Golden down last month after 15 years of friendship and loyalty. It was a very sad time but I focused on the good times. Writing about on a social media might prove to be therapeutic.

Sounds like your dog is suffering. It may be time to put her down to end the suffering.I feel for you because I just put my Golden down last month after 15 years of friendship and loyalty. It was a very sad time but I focused on the good times. Writing about on a social media might prove to be therapeutic.
Yeah, we're not going to let her suffer. We brought her home from the vet because the kids wanted to say goodbye. She's just laying around and sleeping at my feet today while I work. Tomorrow's going to be the day, I think. I'm probably going to grill her a steak tonight.

Sorry to hear it man, hang in there. Growing up I never had to experience losing a dog, we always seemed to move and give them away. I've had my current dog for the last 9 years and hope that when it's her time my son won't be old enough to remember (he's 1 now). Not sure what you can say to make your youngest feel better. Tough situation all around. Just reiterating what everyone has pretty much said at this point, just remember all the fun times.

hate these threads. been through it too many times already but I'll do it again. the years of joy are worth the heartache. sorry for the loss all of you have endured and will endure. it's never easy.

hate these threads. been through it too many times already but I'll do it again. the years of joy are worth the heartache. sorry for the loss all of you have endured and will endure. it's never easy.
These threads a tragic and great FFA tradition.

I hate them too.

These threads a tragic and great FFA tradition.

I hate them too.
Yep. I avoided posting mine over the last couple of years but this is a great community here who are always quick to help us when we're down.

Just got back from the vet. Sydney had a rough night last night, which somehow made it easier on us this morning. We're going to miss her.

Is it too early to start drinking?

So sorry for your loss. It's going to be rough at first, but take heart in the fact that you gave Sydney all she ever wanted and did right by her.

I also recently read this and thought I'd share in case you have any thoughts about it:

A Dog’s Last Will & Testament

Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what I’d ask…

To a poor and lonely stray I’d give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared shelter dog the place I had in m human’s loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, “I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.”

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, andgive my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give…

The love I left behind.

Just got back from the vet. Sydney had a rough night last night, which somehow made it easier on us this morning. We're going to miss her.

never too early in this case

RIP Sydney

:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

No. But when you do it, do it on all fours and out of a bowl in honor of Syndey.

:lapsup40:

My wife took this pic last night when I went for a bike ride. She always waited by the door when I left.

Sydney
I know she'll be missed.

Breaking my no beer until July thing for the today's SC ruling tonight. My first will be in honor of Sydney though. And it will be at DoG St. Pub.

Somebody tell me it's ok to put my dog down.

She pees in the house constantly. We let her out, she pees, she comes back in the house and pees again 15 minutes later. She can barely walk. Limping around constantly. I feel like the vet is sucking me dry to keep her alive for another year or two at the most but at what cost for the dog. She finally shows some affection and activity tonight while I'm watching the game and as I'm petting and playing with her I realize she's all wet. She peed then layed in it. Then she got up and peed right where I was petting her, one foot away from me.

I'm so sorry. I think you know the answer if you're asking.

A few day before I put my Django down I got upset with him for peeing on the floor. I'll never forgive myself for that. Don't be me.

She pees in the house constantly. We let her out, she pees, she comes back in the house and pees again 15 minutes later. She can barely walk. Limping around constantly. I feel like the vet is sucking me dry to keep her alive for another year or two at the most but at what cost for the dog. She finally shows some affection and activity tonight while I'm watching the game and as I'm petting and playing with her I realize she's all wet. She peed then layed in it. Then she got up and peed right where I was petting her, one foot away from me.
It seems you should put the dog down. Then maybe get a new dog in a month or so.

The vet is doing what they can to keep your friend alive and as healthy as possible it seems. Can't fault that, we all want to hang on as long as possible. There comes a time sometimes though that you have to do what's best for him/her. That may be EU, it may be more treatment. Assuming UTI or blockage has been eliminated. Kidney failure? Any medication prescribed for that? Could try the doggie diaper route but if getting around is as tough as you say along with what seems to be kidney failure, it may be time. It's a tough decision, one that I've had to make a few times, and one that was made for me a few times. Sorry for your pups health issues, never easy.

Users who are viewing this thread