What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Its time to fine NFL teams for illegal hits (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
If the NFL wants to get serious about getting illegal hits out of the game, they should start fining teams the same amount they are fining players. Once teams start racking up millions in fines, they will start coaching the players differently or sitting repeat offenders.

RIght now the Lions have no incentive to sit a guy like Suh, or even encourage him to play smarter/safer. Suh has to pay the fines, and the Lions get the benefits of his play on the field (unless he is getting a TD called back).

Make the teams responsible for dangerous play, and it will get cleaned up a lot faster.

fine the fans when they walk in the stadium

ps, does anyone know what charities the fine money goes to?

Last edited by a moderator:
No argument.

I do think they need to more clearly and more broadly define "dangerous play" and then call it consistently and accurately on the field. I don't like the fines without the flags and vice versa. It'll never be perfect, stuff will always show up on replay that's not seen on the field, but the gap needs to narrow significantly IMO.

By more broadly, I mostly mean they need to protect these guys knees as well as their heads. I have a bigger problem with the now legal in line chop blocking that happens than I do the helmet to helmet stuff, much of which I think is just incidental to the sport.

Most importantly, the goal should be to establish a culture of accountability and mutual respect amongst the players, with which this idea would help as I can see the trickle down effect it could have on the coaching staffs and in the locker room.

Last edited by a moderator:
the teams would just push it off on increased ticket prices and other costs on the fans
I'd be ok with that strategy. The ticket prices would go up for the team with the dirtiest players - their fans would pay the price - or not. Ultimately teams would not be able to increase ticket prices enough.

The teams already can get fined but it's not dollar for dollar until they hit a threshold.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' players are running up a tab on ownership.

The Bucs already have ensured that the Glazer family will remit at least $50,000 to the NFL. As part of the NFL’s policy to “promote player safety by encouraging clubs to teach proper techniques and to correct improper and dangerous play by their players,’’ teams now are required to pay a fine if their players ring up too many fines for on-field actions.

The league keeps a tab starting with the first preseason game and running through each team’s last game. If a club’s total of on-field fines reaches $105,000, the team is required to remit $50,000 to the NFL. If a team’s season total reaches $157,500, the club shall remit an additional $25,000 and must match any subsequent fines for the remainder of the season.

Not all fines are revealed. But we know that Bucs safety Dashon Goldson was fined $100,000 for a hit on Darren Sproles in Week 2, which came on the heels of a $30,000 fine for a hit on Jeff Cumberland in Week 1. Safety Ahmad Black was fined $21,000 for a Week 2 hit, and linebacker Lavonte David was fined $7,875 for a Week 1 hit.

That means the Bucs have compiled at least $158,875 in individual fines. Under the policy, the maximum calculation for any fine is $50,000 (Goldson’s $100,000 fine falls into that category). That means the Bucs’ tab currently stands is at least $108,875 in the NFL's eyes.

At the end of the season, ownership will be writing a check for at least $50,000, and that number may grow if the Bucs keep piling up fines.

NFL will not fine players for playing dirty or making illegal hits but they will fine them for talking about them. See Saints 2012. The defense they supposedly called the "Bounty" defense was one of the least penalized in the NFL but by Golly they talked about making hits.

Greg Russell said:
The teams already can get fined but it's not dollar for dollar until they hit a threshold.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers' players are running up a tab on ownership.

The Bucs already have ensured that the Glazer family will remit at least $50,000 to the NFL. As part of the NFL’s policy to “promote player safety by encouraging clubs to teach proper techniques and to correct improper and dangerous play by their players,’’ teams now are required to pay a fine if their players ring up too many fines for on-field actions.

The league keeps a tab starting with the first preseason game and running through each team’s last game. If a club’s total of on-field fines reaches $105,000, the team is required to remit $50,000 to the NFL. If a team’s season total reaches $157,500, the club shall remit an additional $25,000 and must match any subsequent fines for the remainder of the season.

Not all fines are revealed. But we know that Bucs safety Dashon Goldson was fined $100,000 for a hit on Darren Sproles in Week 2, which came on the heels of a $30,000 fine for a hit on Jeff Cumberland in Week 1. Safety Ahmad Black was fined $21,000 for a Week 2 hit, and linebacker Lavonte David was fined $7,875 for a Week 1 hit.

That means the Bucs have compiled at least $158,875 in individual fines. Under the policy, the maximum calculation for any fine is $50,000 (Goldson’s $100,000 fine falls into that category). That means the Bucs’ tab currently stands is at least $108,875 in the NFL's eyes.

At the end of the season, ownership will be writing a check for at least $50,000, and that number may grow if the Bucs keep piling up fines.
Thanks. I knew the clubs could be fined for off the field player fines, but this is the first time I have seen on field conduct also fined.

NFL needs to close some loopholes here - max calculation is $50k, and lower the threshold for it to have any real teeth. But some teams will be writing some hefty checks by the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread