What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ivory v Powell (1 Viewer)

rawdog

Footballguy
Outside of one big game v Buf, Powell has been pretty average.

Do we think Chris Ivory ultimately assumes the feature and goal line role they brought him in for?

This article was illuminating.

Jets RB Chris Ivory Not Happy With His Role

Oct 14th, 2013 at 9:16 pm by Jonathan PeraltaNew York Jets

When it was announced that the New York Jets acquired running back, Chris Ivory, from the New Orleans Saints for a fourth round pick, it was a sign of good things to come the Jets needed a running back with big play-making abilities, and with the departure of Shonn Greene, Ivory would provide just that.

With Ivory, the Jets were getting a fast, strong, and agile back. Ivory proved he is a capable running back that can make the big plays. For unknown reasons, Ivory did not see playing time until later in the 2012 season, buried in the New Orleans roster. But when he did play, the fourth-year running backs numbers jump out of the page, with 40 carries (his longest a 56-yard run) for 217 yards and two touchdowns in 2012. What is also noticeable is his 5.4 yards per carry that it equates to. In three years, Ivory has played 24 games with 10 starts, carrying the ball 256 times for 1,307 yards (5.1 yards per carry) and eight touchdowns.

The Jets havent seen that type of production from Ivory yet, but it may be due to his role on the offense. And the running back isnt too happy about it, and he aired his displeasure in an interview on Monday.

Honestly, I feel like its been a little conservative. Hopefully we get some things going. But it hasnt been as many carries as I thought.

When he joined the Jets, the coaches told Ivory he would be used as the short-yardage back, yet he hasnt seen the ball in short-yardage situations recently. In five games, Ivory has rushed 34 times for 115 yards (3.4 yards per carry); nothing like the numbers he posted as a Saint.

Ivory was brought in to be the Jets featured back, but a combination of his injuries, and his dip in production has left the Jets not fully trusting the running back with a bigger workload. For now, Ivory says hes fine, but that wont last for long if Bilal Powell continues to get the majority of the carries.

Im happy, Im fine. I say that because we have a lot of ball left. But if its close to the end of the season and its still the same, I can say I wouldnt be too happy, said the back.

Ivory is right, there is a lot of ball left to play, but he has to earn that contract he signed ($6 million for three years) and show the coaches he deserves a bigger workload.

It would be fun to see Ivory get 25 carries and 3-5 targets in just one game. Unfortunately the man can pull a hammy in practice or on seemingly innocuous plays - he can go on a 50+ yard TD gallop that will amaze you, seem fine, and then be inactive the next game and you never saw him get injured.

The guy can be unhappy all he wants. The guy can't stay healthy whatsoever. He couldn't as a 4th stringer in NO, he can't now.

I'm no Powell fan and think Ivory is a superior runner, but Ivory simply isn't realiable.

The guy can be unhappy all he wants. The guy can't stay healthy whatsoever. He couldn't as a 4th stringer in NO, he can't now.

I'm no Powell fan and think Ivory is a superior runner, but Ivory simply isn't realiable.
This.

Ivory had hamstring issues in New Orleans...hamstring issues in New Jersey...and now he's whining on how he's being used...meh.

Powell has played decent...nothing flashy, nothing special...just does everything well...pass pro, catching ball out of backfield, occasional shiftiness.

Ivory needs to SFTU and start ballin.

The dynamic between Powell and Ivory hasn't changed. It's quite interesting that since Goodson has gone down, there's been a some buzz surrounding Ivory but none surrounding Powell (who just recouped his PPR value). It's implied that Ivory is the superior talent but as I've stated numerous times, he has an injury history (dating back to college) that makes DMC look durable.

Again, the dynamic between Powell and Ivory hasn't changed. Powell may be JAG but he has the trust of his teammates/coaches and is the guy they'll lean on when it matters. He may not be the sexiest three-down back but three-down backs are a dying breed.

Powell seems like just a guy but I think with how much Rex likes him, he has Rudi Johnson upside. Nothing special but enough carries to give you a significant day.

With as long as Shonn Greene was allowed to be mediocre in NY I'm not sure how people are surprised by this. Powell is better catch passer and blocker than Ivory, so the only thing he really stands to lose are goal line touches. Even when Ivory is healthy (which is rare) this is Powell's show. Powell is a low end rb2 and Ivory is probably not worth rostering unless Powell's shoulder or another injury causes him to miss time

Powell is very under-rated in NFL terms. He's great at nothing, but he has no real holes in his game either. Good blocker, decent receiver, capable runner. He's much better overall than fantasy geeks seem to think.

Powell is very under-rated in NFL terms. He's great at nothing, but he has no real holes in his game either. Good blocker, decent receiver, capable runner. He's much better overall than fantasy geeks seem to think.
Neither are impressive in any respect, even at being mediocre.

:goodposting:

I don't have a horse in this race but I think Powell is a better RB than Ivory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would much rather have Powell. Ivory like some others have said can't stay healthy and when the Jets get behind he's non-existent. In a deep league i'd rather have the guy in NO who has Ivory's old role: Khiry Robinson.

Goodson going down helps Powell a lot in PPR. Powell is the guy the Jets trust the most but Ivory is probably the better runner. Most games I'd expect Powell to get 12-13 carries and 2-4 catches with a 1 in 3 shot at a TD for say 8-12 PPG in a PPR. If Ivory has a dominant drive or two (as he is capable of) I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a 18 carry, 100+ game at some point but I expect a lot of 9-40 lines with no receptions. I think Ivory is the base set goal-line guy but the Jets go shotgun and wildcat at the goal line as well, so Powell will see 30-40% of snaps inside the 5 so it isn't clear cut there either. Powell is a good last starter in a big PPR league because you can rely on him for solid production. Ivory I don't see as anything but a stash in deep bench leagues

Goodson going down helps Powell a lot in PPR. Powell is the guy the Jets trust the most but Ivory is probably the better runner. Most games I'd expect Powell to get 12-13 carries and 2-4 catches with a 1 in 3 shot at a TD for say 8-12 PPG in a PPR. If Ivory has a dominant drive or two (as he is capable of) I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a 18 carry, 100+ game at some point but I expect a lot of 9-40 lines with no receptions. I think Ivory is the base set goal-line guy but the Jets go shotgun and wildcat at the goal line as well, so Powell will see 30-40% of snaps inside the 5 so it isn't clear cut there either. Powell is a good last starter in a big PPR league because you can rely on him for solid production. Ivory I don't see as anything but a stash in deep bench leagues
Thanks for taking time out to reply to my question. Most appreciated.

oops

Jets homer here. I think all the Rex comments hyping Powell have been more to get Powell's head in a good place because he had nothing better.

Ivory wasn't healthy.

Goodson wasn't in camp.

McKnight got cut.

I know its likely ivory gets hurt, but I don't think you see much of Powell in big spots until that happens. Ivory ran really mad today snd ate up the Pats in the guts of their d (-minus Wilfork and Mayo of course).

Ivory was barely 3 YPC and was uninvolved in the passing game....how is that impressive?

Powell didn't practice much this week...maybe Rex just didn't trust his health?

Either way...gonna be tough to start either of these guys with any confidence for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivory was barely 3 YPC and was uninvolved in the passing game....how is that impressive?

Either way...gonna be tough to start either of these guys with any confidence for now.
He looked good. There wasn't a ton of running room and he made yardage where there wasn't any. Did you watch any of the game?

He looked good. There wasn't a ton of running room and he made yardage where there wasn't any. Did you watch any of the game?
He did?

I watched the whole thing and that was painful. Guy can't catch and has little vision. He's not the same without the Saints O, playing against Dime Defenses w/ 5 in the box.

No, I didn't. I was a believer in Powell going into today though, and I don't understand how he goes from 20+ carries to...3? without an injury or something. No matter how good Ivory looked, it's hard to justify 30 carries at 3 yards per carry unless therre were no other RB options.

I can't be the only one thoroughly confused by how this played out

He did?

I watched the whole thing and that was painful. Guy can't catch and has little vision. He's not the same without the Saints O, playing against Dime Defenses w/ 5 in the box.
I thought so. It was ugly, but he ran hard, churned his legs, and picked up yardage that wasn't there. He has burst, just no room. He's a punishing runner, which is what gets him hurt. Little vision? I just don't think there's a ton of running room. Every run looks like a short yardage attempt.

No, I didn't. I was a believer in Powell going into today though, and I don't understand how he goes from 20+ carries to...3? without an injury or something. No matter how good Ivory looked, it's hard to justify 30 carries at 3 yards per carry unless therre were no other RB options.I can't be the only one thoroughly confused by how this played out
Now this I can't answer, I have no idea. I was expecting RBBC hell between these two guys, and between all three when Goodson was healthy. I was just hoping to have a clear TD-getter emerge, or PPR guy (and I was assuming that would be Powell).

No, I didn't. I was a believer in Powell going into today though, and I don't understand how he goes from 20+ carries to...3? without an injury or something. No matter how good Ivory looked, it's hard to justify 30 carries at 3 yards per carry unless therre were no other RB options.

I can't be the only one thoroughly confused by how this played out
I think we all are. I mean Ivory was healthy the last 2 games and put up 8 carries for 43 yards combined in those 2 games. all of a sudden he gets 34 carries after totaling 30 in his first 4 healthy games? very strange. I think it signals a shift though, especially the way the Jets ran the ball on the final FG drive. Ivory is a more-talented, more-injury prone McGahee now. a guy who should get a lot of carries but can't catch

Jets coach Rex Ryan said after the game he chose to go with Chris Ivory over Bilal Powell because Ivory had the hotter hand."Initially, maybe during the week, we had to see where [Powell] was," Ryan said. "But Ivory was running extremely hard. We thought it was a good matchup for us and that's why we rode him."

Powell had 6 yards on three carries. Ivory had 104 yards on 34 carries along with a catch for minus-2 yards.
Thanks, Rex.

DB.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said after the game he chose to go with Chris Ivory over Bilal Powell because Ivory had the hotter hand."Initially, maybe during the week, we had to see where [Powell] was," Ryan said. "But Ivory was running extremely hard. We thought it was a good matchup for us and that's why we rode him."

Powell had 6 yards on three carries. Ivory had 104 yards on 34 carries along with a catch for minus-2 yards.
Thanks, Rex.

DB.
Haha, smooth move Rex. Maybe Rex realized the window in which he'll have a "healthy" Ivory is small and wanted to exploit it to the fullest by giving him 30+ totes. Truth is, even keeping Ivory on a snap count hasn't proven to keep him fresh.

Damn. The most worrisome part about that is that it implies it could be one or the other any given week, or both depending on who is "hot". It's hard to scrounge even flex value out of that.

What do we think now? Two big games sandwiched around one with 6 carries.
The 6-carry game was an anomaly. The Jets got down 14-0 by the time the National Anthem was over, so any ideas of a ball-control game plan went out the window. Rex has that look in his eye again.... Ground 'n Pound and play good defense. That's the formula which sent them to two straight AFC title games.

With the forecast tomorrow, and the fact that the Bills' offense should not be able sustain many drives with both starting WRs out, I could see a 26-30 carry day. I'd settle for about 115 and 1 TD, but hoping for even more.

Looking for Ivory to be the lead dog in the return of Rex's ground and pound. Starting Ivory over MJD due to this and match-ups.

What do we think now? Two big games sandwiched around one with 6 carries.
The 6-carry game was an anomaly. The Jets got down 14-0 by the time the National Anthem was over, so any ideas of a ball-control game plan went out the window. Rex has that look in his eye again.... Ground 'n Pound and play good defense. That's the formula which sent them to two straight AFC title games.

With the forecast tomorrow, and the fact that the Bills' offense should not be able sustain many drives with both starting WRs out, I could see a 26-30 carry day. I'd settle for about 115 and 1 TD, but hoping for even more.
98 and 1 TD in a game where they got blown out. I'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread